THE BROWNS BOARD

Grading the 2017 Browns Draft

Dutch Oven

6 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

honestly, i never watched a lot of giants from this season..The move of Peppers, still never made much sense to me after watching how Wilks used Whitehead than Burrius as our in the box safeties.Did dorse and wilks ever speak X's vs O's? I'd assume Pep's numbers could have been better or even worse right here as our in box safety? Whom's Coaching matters..

One thing i have learned about Pepper's is he is a solid interview... The kid as nothing bad to say about his former Browns Team/Players nor Management..and that gains a lot more respect from a man like me that's a Buckeye homer...  

No, the guy above called him an "asshat", remember? Of course, that poster also admitted unquestionably hates everyone Michigan so....  nah, we'll let that go

Wasting Pep that first year was rough. He was the best FS on the team but it wasn't his best fit. It worked in regards to tanking though I guess. We did something similar during his time at Michigan. We played him all over the place. It hurt his draft stock but helped the team. Dude is an unselfish guy. Maybe the new regime will try to get him back :)

41 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

Peppers played a traditional safety this season with NYG and was just as average as we'd always thought he'd be -- 66.5.

Ogunjobi is below average -- 56.0

So disappointing.  Anything above a C qualifies as homerism.

The only way drafting To Train Them Up is remotely acceptable is after you've verified that you have the team in place to do the training... otherwise you've just drafted underskilled people and spun yourself a fairy tale about how you're going to make them better.

Explain a bit if you would, for us uninitiated what those numbers mean and why they are  "average" or "below average".   Just curious. 

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Explain a bit if you would, for us uninitiated what those numbers mean and why they are  "average" or "below average".   Just curious. 

I'm guessing those are PFF grades. Check out their site. Average is relative to other players at that position I believe. 

Yrs... PFF. Their range for Safeties is 90.8 to 45.2. But more important is their range breakdown...

1. 90-99 --- 3
  2. 80-89 --- 7
  3. 70-79 ---15
  4. 60-69 --- 24 ===> Peppers is #10 in this group... so he's around the median grade.
  5. 50-59 --- 15
  6. < 49 ------ 3

Problem with PFF here is that they lump FS and SS in the same group. While they are interchangeable in some Defenses they are specialized in many more.

I have a similar problem with their OT grade reporting as they lump LTs and RTs together.

• Upvote 1