THE BROWNS BOARD

Grading the 2017 Browns Draft

Dutch Oven

This is a fun exercise I've done in the past (but I'm not sure I've done it on this board yet)… It's been said by many (and possibly originally by Ozzie Newsome?) that you cannot grade a draft class until they've completed their third season, so lo and behold, it's time to review the 2017 Browns draft class. This was the second - and last - draft class lead by GM Sashi Brown, who would be fired towards the end of the regular season and replaced by John Dorsey.

1st (#1 overall) DE Myles Garrett, Texas A&M: The consensus top pick of the draft, Garrett has been the disruptive DE the Browns hoped for when they drafted him, with 30.5 sacks in 37 games played. Perhaps not "elite", but I doubt the Browns regret the pick. His whack-a-mole game is on point. 

1st (#25 overall) S Jabrill Peppers, TTUN:  A playmaking "jack of all trades" in college, he's been generally a solid, but unspectacular starter in the NFL. Had a quiet rookie season due to Gregg Williams playing him in a different area code most times, he moved to strong safety in 2018 and played well. Traded to the NY Giants prior to the 2019 season as part of the Zeitler/OBJ/Vernon blockbuster. 

1st (#29 overall) TE David Njoku, Miami: A divisive player among Browns fans. Some see a very young, still learning TE with great upside, others see an "athlete" who is a mediocre football player with unreliable hands. 93 receptions for 1066 yards and 9 career touchdowns. Missed most of 2019 with broken wrist, fell into Freddie Kitchens doghouse apparently for reasons somewhat unknown. (Been speculated that Kitchens had enough with his dropped passes)

2nd (#52 overall) QB DeShone Kizer, Notre Dame:  A baffling pick in so many ways. If there was ever a pick that you could see being a disaster waiting to happen, it was DeShone Kizer to a young team tanking with the collection of stiffs already on the roster at QB. At least, on paper, I can understand why a front office running on analytics would use a 3rd rounder the draft before on Cody Kessler (ton of starts in college, high completion percentage). For a QB who had no business entering the NFL early, Kizer could not have ended up in a worse situation. Forced to start YEARS too soon, he floundered on a roster with little talent around him. Traded after the season to Green Bay, who eventually released him after the season ended. Signed with Oakland. 3081 passing yards, 11 touchdowns to 24 interceptions, 53.1 completion percentage, 58.9 QB rating. 

3rd (#65 overall) DT Larry Ogunjobi, Charlotte: Guy who flew under the radar during his college career, but had a good Senior Bowl experience that helped him shoot up draft boards. Like Peppers, has been a solid if unspectacular starter for Browns, with 12 career sacks. I'd be curious to how he seems to rate against the run, it seems like he's regressed of late.

4th (#126 overall) CB Howard Wilson, Florida State:  Suffered a fractured patella (kneecap) his second day of rookie minicamps, causing him to miss entire rookie season, only to have to have more surgery the following year on knee that caused him to miss entire sophomore campaign. Waived before training camp prior to 2019 season. 

5th (#160 overall) DT Caleb Brantley, Florida: Player whose draft stock dropped like a brick due to assault charges, Brantley was considered a higher ranked DT than Ogunjobi prior. Made no impact with Browns, released after rookie season and is currently with Washington. Has played very limited reps.

6th (#185 overall) K Zane Gonzalez, Arizona State: Lou Groza Winner for best college kicker in 2016, Gonzalez had a decent rookie season for the Browns before kicking so poorly at the beginning of the 2017 season (costing the Browns multiple wins) that he was released. Seemingly has rebounded back in Arizona with the Cardinals. 55 for 69 FG attempts (79.7%) with a long of 55. 

7th (#252 overall) RB Matthew Dayes, NC State: Made the Browns roster out of training camp his rookie season, used sparingly, then cut. 

Overall: This is a interesting draft class to grade. Garrett has been what the Browns hoped for 20 years ago when they took Courtney Brown, but will he able to able to get to the elite level? Peppers and Ogunjobi are starting-caliber players, but neither are difference-makers. Njoku is somewhat of an enigma, a guy who tantalizes you with athleticism who still is learning how to be a good football player. Kizer was a bust, and everyone 4th round and below are no longer on the Browns. With a draft class with five picks in the top 65, you'd hope for a little more.

Grade: C+ (really close to B-)

55 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Grade: C+ (really close to B-)

There are only three players left on the roster and one is suspended indefinitely.

Also, we draft Kizer in a draft that includes Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson. I know hindsight is 2020, but NOBODY saw Mahomes becoming something? Did the Browns even have scouts?

F+ grade. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Are these your grades?     Seem fair enough  (maybe assess a grade to each pick....keeping in mind where they were taken)

Yes, the overall grade on the draft class review I did is my grade. 

18 minutes ago, Neo said:

There are only three players left on the roster and one is suspended indefinitely.

Also, we draft Kizer in a draft that includes Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson. I know hindsight is 2020, but NOBODY saw Mahomes becoming something? Did the Browns even have scouts?

F+ grade. 

True, big BROWNS washout draft almost nobody left from some pretty good draft positions, wrong quarterback picked (I'm watching Watson now) what year is this again?

........Also, we draft Kizer in a draft that includes Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson. I know hindsight is 2020, but NOBODY saw Mahomes becoming something? Did the Browns even have scouts?.......

Boy scouts or girl scouts?

Grade: in hindsight, D+ would be kind. (Note: Njoku could still be very productive, we don't know on Garrett's status yet potentially could rise)

I don't know what drafting Kizer had to do with Mahomes or Watson, its not like they were on the board when they took him. Mahomes was taken #10 overall, Watson #12. Browns didn't have another pick until #25. Kizer was taken way after those two. 

8 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I don't know what drafting Kizer had to do with Mahomes or Watson, its not like they were on the board when they took him. Mahomes was taken #10 overall, Watson #12. Browns didn't have another pick until #25. Kizer was taken way after those two. 

The Browns had the #1 pick. They could have got their QB and another quality player with the pick they used on Kizer. Point is they saw something in Kizer and not Mahomes or Watson, c'mon man. There talent scout must have been Stevie Wonder.

7 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

They didn't try (that we know of) to trade for picks to get any other quarterback -but- it wasn't really a QB loaded draft.

But outside of Garrett the draft didn't go the way I wanted it to go......oh well. Still the biggest crap shoot in sports.

33 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Yes, the overall grade on the draft class review I did is my grade. 

x-gm Mark Dominick on nfl radio graded it as a solid C...your all over it...

To others, a huge minus deduction is given on players no longer in the league. this is not the case here as other Browns drafts..

Dayes was on the Hawks ps & Wilson is not a huge hit due to injury

Trade up or down values are never included in player grades 

Well done Dutch!

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Neo said:

The Browns had the #1 pick. They could have got their QB and another quality player with the pick they used on Kizer. Point is they saw something in Kizer and not Mahomes or Watson, c'mon man. There talent scout must have been Stevie Wonder.

I could be wrong, but I don't think there is a team or a scout alive who would have suggested using the #1 overall pick on Watson or Mahomes then. Of course it seems like someone would have now, but a lot of people thought both QBs were somewhat of a reach where they were taken. 

But of course, if the Browns had to do it over, they would take Mahomes #1. 

8 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

And if some of you think this draft warranted a D+ or F, I'm not sure a letter grade exists for what you would give the 2016 Browns draft. 😃

Oh God.  Everything in life is relevant comparing 2017 and 2016.  B and incomplete.  (Note again, the 3 number 1 picks in 2017 was somewhat disappointing.)

Screenshot_2020-01-04_192100.jpg

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

Recall though, that Browns had the #10 pick in addition to the #1 pick.   They could have taken either Watson or Mahomes with #10.....but decided to trade down to get  2 other 1st round picks, which they took  Peppers and Njoku.   Remember?

That was Sashi's wheeling an dealing. 

2 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Recall though, that Browns had the #10 pick in addition to the #1 pick.   They could have taken either Watson or Mahomes....but decided to trade down to get  2 other 1st round picks, which they took  Peppers and Njoku.   Remember?

Oh wow, I did not, totally forgot about that. 

That changes things, then. 

Jesus, the Browns could have had Garrett AND Mahomes/Watson, instead of Garrett, Peppers and Njoku. Damn. 

6 minutes ago, D Bone said:

Such a sad list. The good news is every list from every other season would look just as sad....... Gotta love the Browns' consistency. 

It's like we aren't "Trusting the Process", D Bone. 😄

42 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Jesus, the Browns could have had Garrett AND Mahomes/Watson, instead of Garrett, Peppers and Njoku. Damn. 

IIRC, they could have Garrett and Watson, because they had #12 and Mahomes was picked with #10. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Nero said:

IIRC, they could have Garrett and Watson, because they had #12 and Mahomes was picked with #10. 

I think that is right.   I think Sashi's thing was just wheeling and dealing... so many trades:

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/11-trades-shaped-browns-2017-draft-class-and-at-least-5-are-set-to-affe-18813078

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Yep Another lovely Browns trade down.

Why take a great talent at 10 when you get a couple lottery tickets later.

yet fans talk about this strategy every year like its our only wise sane move we can make.    

i couldn’t stand the Peppers pick.  Truthfully I can’t stand Michigan, and aside from Mike Hart I couldn’t recall a bigger @$$ hat at UM than Peppers.  I thought it was hilarious when G Will played him 25 yards off the ball.  But...he was a valuable trade chip this past Spring.  

6 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

And I've said  for years Kizer was a  reach where he was drafted. 4th round talent  at best.

I think l look at Browns drafts through my Brown colored glasses, the same glasses that have seen miserable and embarrassing first round flops far too often, so that said, this draft looks ok to me.

Garrett is good, and Peppers provided value with the OBJ trade and had a pretty good year for New York until getting hurt. Njoku is at least still in the league and has shown great flashes of talent.

Kizer never panned out, but even he provided value getting shipped out in a trade for a solid safety in Randall. 

I like Ogunjobi, though his play is inconsistent at times.

Gonzalez is still a starting kicker in the league.

I think Dayes could have carved out a niche for a few years as a backup in the league if the chips fell differently, but l think there’s a lotta RBs you could say that about.

Brantley and Wilson didn’t work out. Wilson got the injury superflu and Brantley is at least still in the league.

I’d actually give this draft a B -. 

B- to C+ seems right here as well.

Every draft includes numerous woulda-shouda-coulda. There was little cry around here for us to draft Mahommes at the time as he was widely seen as too undisciplined and coming form a pass-happy Offense in a Conference whose style did not translate well to the NFL... and there was less cry for Watson.

I think the governing philosophy of the time that fueled "the process" has to be mentioned.... namely to draft talent that the staff was to develop. Njoku is a solid example of this, but so was Kizer.

Kizer was never seen as Pro ready. He had the physical tools, but needed work between the ears. He was supposed to sit at least a season and learn... instead Hue threw him to the wolves. He did bring us Randall who seemed to be a solution to our FS need for one year anyway. I always found it interesting that he was then claimed by OAK. I remember Gruden liking him when Kizer did his QB Camp.

The above mention FS need cost Peppers his rookie season when that need forced Williams to use him in a role that did not suit him.

Peppers played a traditional safety this season with NYG and was just as average as we'd always thought he'd be -- 66.5.

Ogunjobi is below average -- 56.0

So disappointing.  Anything above a C qualifies as homerism.

The only way drafting To Train Them Up is remotely acceptable is after you've verified that you have the team in place to do the training... otherwise you've just drafted underskilled people and spun yourself a fairy tale about how you're going to make them better.

24 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

Peppers played a traditional safety this season with NYG and was just as average as we'd always thought he'd be -- 66.5.

honestly, i never watched a lot of giants from this season..The move of Peppers, still never made much sense to me after watching how Wilks used Whitehead than Burrius as our in the box safeties.Did dorse and wilks ever speak X's vs O's? I'd assume Pep's numbers could have been better or even worse right here as our in box safety? Whom's Coaching matters..

One thing i have learned about Pepper's is he is a solid interview... The kid as nothing bad to say about his former Browns Team/Players nor Management..and that gains a lot more respect from a man like me that's a Buckeye homer...