THE BROWNS BOARD

Why should we have faith that Haslam will get it right this time?

Orion

Why?  Besides random luck.  The blind squirrel finding a nut.  The eggbeater splattering it straight occasionally.  Why?

How 'bout the search committee?   Jimmy & Dee Haslam.  Two non-football people who are constantly screwing up.  They even screwed up the uniforms.  

Jimmy's son in-law?  JW SomethingOrOther.   A non football person.  Quote - has a bachelor’s degree in broadcast journalism and communications from the University of Mississippi in Oxford.      (their Son in-law!   That's whose part of the search committee!)  lol

Chris Cooper.  Quote - Before joining the Browns, Cooper served six seasons with NFL headquarters in New York, where he aided the league’s management council in a variety of capacities from 2008-14. He also spent time with the Minnesota Vikings as a law clerk in 2008.....received his bachelor’s degree in sociology from Virginia before securing his JD degree from Brooklyn Law School.    (Yup.....THIS GUY)

DePodesta.  Basically another non-football guy.  A number crunching analytics guy whom they never listen to......and HE'S probably our BEST HOPE!

and finally, the ever popular...Quote - and various other people in the organization who have had the opportunity to meet and deal with the candidates,” Haslam said.  (perhaps the intern who picks up the candidate at the airport)

.....as Adam The Bull said on the radio yesterday -  I'd have more faith in me, you and Dustin Fox picking the HC & GM.  (said something of that nature - basically insinuating that he'd have more faith in a handful of random people as the search committee)  

---------------------------

HOW'S ALL OF THAT SOUND TO YA   ---  Give ya the warm fuzzies like it does me?  

On another note:  the other day, one of the 'experts' that 92 The Fan radio calls for inside information and opinions reported that everybody he's ever talked to, past Browns exec's, coaches, etc. and others connected to the Browns have told him that Haslam is a major meddler.  Constantly meddling in the football operations on all kinds of levels.  (and yet Haslam expects everyone to believe that he had no idea that his Pilot J company had been robbing customers for many years)

Let's face the cold, hard truth here.  We, as Browns fans, are basically screwed until the Haslam family is removed from ownership of the team.  And on that front there seems to be NO light at the end of the tunnel.  -  We have a meddling blind squirrel running the organization.........

• Upvote 4

Just because someone is successful in one field does NOT guarantee that they will be just as successful in a totally different field.

Some good management skills are transferable to other jobs some, particularly the sports arena, can be very tricky.

Mr Haslam hasn't been very successful so far.....uh-oh time?  What next?  

• Upvote 1

After watching his presser I have no faith. Said the same damn thing he said the last 4 times. Sounds like he is going to have all his workers do research to tell him what to do, then he will do whatever the hell he wants to do anyway.

Obviously he wants and is waiting for McDaniels and I feel like that pairing has the potential to be the biggest disaster we have seen in Cleveland yet. (Based on his awesome stint in Denver and watching him screw the Colts.... who does that??) And that’s saying something.  Giving a guy like that control like Billy B has for a few seasons and could be talking about another complete 7 year rebuild.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, hx214 said:

After watching his presser I have no faith. Said the same damn thing he said the last 4 times. Sounds like he is going to have all his workers do research to tell him what to do, then he will do whatever the hell he wants to do anyway.

Right now besides his somewhat former gas station gig he strikes me as a guy trying to run a local McDonald's burger joint.

And the future of the Cleveland Browns is in his hands.   :o

Good news might be that he's pursuing new owners?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Everything I have read puts Podesta in charge of the search...however it is doomed because they want to hire a coach before a Gm.  Lol...conflict from the start...what if they dont get along lol.  God this franchise is hammered shit

• Upvote 3

57 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Just because someone is successful in one field does NOT guarantee that they will be just as successful in a totally different field.

Some good management skills are transferable to other jobs some, particularly the sports arena, can be very tricky.

Mr Haslam hasn't been very successful do far.....uh-oh time?  What next?  

Um, IIRC Haslam  inherited  Pilot from  his dad. Sure looks like  Jimmy  is following the  Jerry Jones model of  ownership.  Who knows,  but  maybe the blind  squirrel can pull  a Jimmy  Johnson out of his ass this  time. But as of now I  have no confidence  whatsoever he's capable of it. :(

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3

Good research Orion. Pretty sure very few of us are confident this will go well. I tend to think Haslam hiring Dorsey WAS the blind squirrel finding a nut. Maybe not the healthiest of nuts, but at least something that resembles sustenance. 

I’ll attempt to play devil’s advocate though and answer the question.

Haslam does have a decent foundation of a team and has the opportunity to find the guys willing to mold it. In particular, he has Baker, and l get the jury has been out all year on him, but we all saw the flashes of talent here and there and he certainly has the heave ho arm, so there’s something to work with there.

My guess is that’s s focal point of this search. What candidate has the interest and chops to mold him into an actual grown up without quashing that fire? It can’t be an easy task. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Um, IIRC Haslam  inherited  Pilot from  his dad. Sure looks like  Jimmy  is following the  Jerry Jones model of  ownership.  Who knows,  but  maybe the blind  squirrel can pull  a Jimmy  Johnson out of his ass this  time. But as of now I  have no confidence  whatsoever he's capable of it. :(

That figures even more when you inherit a business from Dad or Grandpa and don't even know that you have a major criminal case going on by 17 convicted employees for about $180 million in fines and penalties.......and you are unaware of it...... major red flags !  

I haven't seen the deal details that Warren Buffett got from the eventual total takeover of Pilot but I might dig it up later.

Meanwhile this is the guy running our beloved BROWNS, omg.  Time to punt before this emplodes underneath him the way Pilot did -but-what will make him sell? The NFL owners can do it but will the BROWNS get worse in the meanwhile?

Rich kid with money and no idea what he's doing oh yeah that's a recipe for disaster.

18 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Oh one more thing Jimmy here is no Jerrrah by a long shot !

4 hours ago, hoorta said:

I believe that Jimmy Haslam's dad may still be alive.....and for what its worth (nothing to any of us)...I do believe it is Jimmy that transformed the company into the national corporate presence that it has today. (and which allowed him to sell it for billions to Warren Buffett)

4 hours ago, hoorta said:

Part of the acquisition story.  Transport Topics,  March 2018.  https://www.ttnews.com/articles/warren-buffett-reveals-he-paid-2786-billion-stake-pilot-flying-j

Warren Buffett said his Berkshire Hathaway Inc. made only one “sensible” stand-alone acquisition last year, and it didn’t do much for his growing pile of cash.

Berkshire paid $2.76 billion for its 38.6% stake in Pilot Travel Centers, the owner of the Pilot Flying J truck stop chain, according to an insurance filing. Berkshire didn’t disclose the purchase price when it announced the deal in October, and hasn’t revealed the figure in subsequent reports to the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission......

........Berkshire will eventually become a bigger shareholder in Pilot Travel Centers. The company agreed to increase its stake in the firm to 80% in 2023. Pilot Flying J has been run by Jimmy Haslam, the son of Pilot Corp. founder Jim Haslam, since 1996. The Haslam family will retain a 20% stake in the parent company.

We shouldn't, can only hope this is an exception to the quote "past performance doesn't guarantee results". It only took them 7 yrs to realize that everyone in a football organization should have a unified goal. 2018/19 Baltimore Ravens are a testament to this as I've stated on this forum before.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, MDDawg said:

We shouldn't, can only hope this is an exception to the quote "past performance doesn't guarantee results". It only took them 7 yrs to realize that everyone in a football organization should have a unified goal. 2018/19 Baltimore Ravens are a testament to this as I've stated on this forum before.

Are you saying that they didn't have that goal with their first go at it when they hired Banner and Lombardi and had them do the head coaching search?

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Part of the acquisition story.  Transport Topics,  March 2018.  https://www.ttnews.com/articles/warren-buffett-reveals-he-paid-2786-billion-stake-pilot-flying-j

Warren Buffett said his Berkshire Hathaway Inc. made only one “sensible” stand-alone acquisition last year, and it didn’t do much for his growing pile of cash.

Berkshire paid $2.76 billion for its 38.6% stake in Pilot Travel Centers, the owner of the Pilot Flying J truck stop chain, according to an insurance filing. Berkshire didn’t disclose the purchase price when it announced the deal in October, and hasn’t revealed the figure in subsequent reports to the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission......

........Berkshire will eventually become a bigger shareholder in Pilot Travel Centers. The company agreed to increase its stake in the firm to 80% in 2023. Pilot Flying J has been run by Jimmy Haslam, the son of Pilot Corp. founder Jim Haslam, since 1996. The Haslam family will retain a 20% stake in the parent company.

Great.....now dig up the story of the deal wherein Jimmy Haslam sells the Browns.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Great.....now dig up the story of the deal wherein Jimmy Haslam sells the Browns.

Remember when we Browns fans were so excited when the news broke that Randy Lerner had sold the Browns?

4 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Remember when we Browns fans were so excited when the news broke that Randy Lerner had sold the Browns?

As a rule NOBODY wants to ever sell an NFL franchise especially with the new TV contract.  We might be in deep do waiting for this to happen unless something weird happens.

23 minutes ago, nickers said:

I have every confidence they'll get it VERY wrong!

Yeah it's like we expect the sky to fall in......again.  I don't think many are going to pick the BROWNS to be in the Super Bowl next year.

Hell I just hope that they don't screw up the draft in Vegas.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Yeah it's like we expect the sky to fall in......again.  I don't think many are going to pick the BROWNS to be in the Super Bowl next year.

Hell I just hope that they don't screw up the draft in Vegas.

I hope the stage in Vegas implodes, landing on Ghoolie. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

I was on another board at the time.  And I was not happy that he sold the team.  I remember telling all of the 'happy' people about 'The Devil That You Know' old saying.  I was saying how Randy was a perfectly fine owner.  He was willing to spend what ever money was required.  He was a self-acclaimed 'fan' just like we were.  He stayed out of the football operations (no meddling).   He didn't hire the right guy(s).  Apparently, that's not too easy.  AND, as an owner, he wasn't somebody that was toxic to coaches and executives in the NFL.

People didn't like him because he liked soccer I guess.

As Browns' fans we have every reason not to have faith in this search. This will be the 12th Head Coach (interims included) and 10th General Manager in the last 20 seasons. None of us can defend anything ownership have done for the sake of stability and continuity since 1999.

I believe Jimmy Haslam is sick of and embarrassed by losing. Billionaires, inherently, do not lose very often; from a business standpoint, I'd say the Haslams have lost more as owners of the Browns than they were used to losing with Pilot/Flying J - legal or illegal. Growing up around the business and being involved in it every day is an irreplaceable practical experience. He hasn't been around football every day, and the learning curve is apparent. I have to believe he is ready to do whatever it takes to win.

Can he get out of his own way? I don't know. I hope.

Do I believe he wants this organization to win? Yes.

Do I believe his intentions are of the best? I do.

Being an NFL owner is a mighty select and exclusive club. Every time all 32 owners are together and 20-25 of the other 31 owners give the same look and same song and dance when together, there probably gets some fire in the belly to win. 

No matter what, like you guys, I will find the best in this and will faithfully cheer whatever front office is in place in Berea with whatever staff and roster are on the sidelines between now and the 2020 season.

Eventually, something will stick.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Orion said:

Let's face the cold, hard truth here.  We, as Browns fans, are basically screwed until the Haslam family is removed from ownership of the team.  And on that front there seems to be NO light at the end of the tunnel.  -  We have a meddling blind squirrel running the organization.........

Agree 1000%. Getting Baker a 3rd head coach in 3 years is a recipe for failure. Jimmy is a kid playing with a shiny toy and he has no idea how it works, he just keeps breaking it. 

Hopefully a homeless dude will tell him to sell the team and problem solved 

10 hours ago, AP1 said:

No matter what, like you guys, I will find the best in this and will faithfully cheer whatever front office is in place in Berea with whatever staff and roster are on the sidelines between now and the 2020 season.

Yes and hopefully soon.

5-54486_sold-out-clipart-sign-sold-sign-for-house.png

12 hours ago, AP1 said:

As Browns' fans we have every reason not to have faith in this search. This will be the 12th Head Coach (interims included) and 10th General Manager in the last 20 seasons. None of us can defend anything ownership have done for the sake of stability and continuity since 1999.

I believe Jimmy Haslam is sick of and embarrassed by losing. Billionaires, inherently, do not lose very often; from a business standpoint, I'd say the Haslams have lost more as owners of the Browns than they were used to losing with Pilot/Flying J - legal or illegal. Growing up around the business and being involved in it every day is an irreplaceable practical experience. He hasn't been around football every day, and the learning curve is apparent. I have to believe he is ready to do whatever it takes to win.

Can he get out of his own way? I don't know. I hope.

Do I believe he wants this organization to win? Yes.

Do I believe his intentions are of the best? I do.

Being an NFL owner is a mighty select and exclusive club. Every time all 32 owners are together and 20-25 of the other 31 owners give the same look and same song and dance when together, there probably gets some fire in the belly to win. 

Excellent post, from a many broken 💔 browns fan.. Many and I'm with ya brah.👍

a) Can Jimmy get out of his own way?  Has entering his wife into business matters made anything better?

c) Do i believe his intentions are of the best? sure but I'm baffled & here's why

Jimmy's presser included a prior meeting with 15 of his so called 'Core players'.. "We need a smart qualified experience coach"

How many of that 15 core Jimmy speaks of, include the Diva's/out spoken types that scream attention from X qualified coach? How many of those exist on any Pats roster?  

My real issue lies on the Josh McDaniels possible hire... this team screams Young & up & Coming coach. Not Oldie & fuddie duddies nor Stubborn Sam, It's highway or My way..

Jimmy & Dee must live in a split level house..Sorry Mrs Dee, but McDan'O has not seen/nor heard of a diva nor do they speak out nor tweet

so in ending.. Does Dee know what she's asking for in a Josh McDaniels background? OR does Jim' ugh? eat his low hanging apples, including his "Core" 

Should we have Faith? never a doubt.. Will they get it right? Only if the time is given to the right Coaching staff...  Closing! Anybody but Josh McDaniels for me...     

There's no reason to have faith... however, there is reason to have hope and his name is Depo.

Knock his lack of football "guyness" if you want, but he's just what I want in an "executive search"... and at it's core that's what a HC search is.

In any organization there's a point where any technical prowess an employee has displayed to gain attention becomes irrelevant when considering his elevation to the next level. There comes a point where tactical command becomes secondary to strategic thinking.

Having a guy who won't be blinded by command of Xs and Os, but will be focused on looking for the command of people is just what we need. And it helps that he has credibility with the big bosses on this committee by virtue of his opposition to the last two hires.

Actually, this is an exciting time - because the odds are impossibly bad to pick another

gm and hc that doesn't work out.

So, there ya go. The next hc and gm will succeed greatly, because simple statistics

show that it's impossible to keep getting a bad roll of the dice, every...single....dayum...time.

Time for happy dancing when we go to the playoffs and maybe the superbowl this coming season.

and every draft choice is a star.

Oh, boy - we are really going to love this next draft and next season !