THE BROWNS BOARD

HC/GM/Position Coach tracker

gumby73

15 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

McDaniels is what Haslam has wanted for a long time.  The dismissal of Dorsey was a large red flag for us and a roadblock for him.

McD is a control freak.   So this won't end well...

LOL, and Belichick isn't?  Josh  has had 10 years to learn from the master. That said,  I'm  well aware  that in general the Bill  coaching  tree has produced rotten  fruit. 

1 minute ago, hoorta said:

LOL, and Belichick isn't?  Josh  has had 10 years to learn from the master. That said,  I'm  well aware  that in general the Bill  coaching  tree has produced rotten  fruit. 

BB is as detail oriented as you'll ever find.  But there is a difference with how he has a vision for his team vs being an ego-centric, micromanaging, overbearing douche bag.

43 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Why hurry now?

I don't think we lost "our guy" to anybody else and we are the last job out there. Seems like taking our time would be prudent.

Finish the opening round... hold a couple callback interviews... deliberate... hire... move on to the GM role.

Agree....in fact, I don't think we lost any of several people who could be "our guy":   Not McD, Stefanski, Bienemy, Saleh.   Rhule nor the Judge were even on the Browns radar, I do not believe. 

36 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

Agree, Josh is another one of those coaches that think he's a GM too.

Well....he has worked with BB all this time....and I suspect that he saw how that worked.   BB being the boss.  If Josh is chosen, he may be able to select his  GM/DPP......Caserio.   It can and has worked....going back even a generation along the coaching tree to Parcells. You know, the whole "buying some of the groceries" thing. 

23 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Vrabel and O'Brien still in the playoffs......those pieces of fruit seem pretty ripe to me. 

26 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Which would still be an improvement.  We had way too many key plays where we have all these horses and we are targeting Harris or Hilliard. 

That would be on Kitchens relying on “plays, not players” and we had 4 capable skill players. Landry, OBJ, Hunt, Chubb.
You’re bringing up a different issue.

I personally can’t stand any type of offensive trick play that has the potential to derail a drive and force a punt. Hue/Haley ran those plays, and so did Kitchens(ex. Kareem Hunt HB toss pass on 3rd and short) 

The thing my mind keeps going back to is the footage of Bill and Tom sitting in Bill's office going over game film of their upcoming opponents Defense. I must have seen it at least three times last week.

In it Tom was pointing out... "if that CB does that, then we can..." Bill asking, "Do you mean...?" Tom: "Yes." Bill: "Oh... I see... that's good."

Apparently this was a weekly ritual lasting an hour or so... and McDaniels was nowhere in the room.

43 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

The thing my mind keeps going back to is the footage of Bill and Tom sitting in Bill's office going over game film of their upcoming opponents Defense. I must have seen it at least three times last week.

In it Tom was pointing out... "if that CB does that, then we can..." Bill asking, "Do you mean...?" Tom: "Yes." Bill: "Oh... I see... that's good."

Apparently this was a weekly ritual lasting an hour or so... and McDaniels was nowhere in the room.

I'm not on board with a McDaniels hire, he just ain't our guy.

47 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

You mean the clip where they're studying Ed Reed?    

55 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

There was also a clip in 'Tom vs Time' where Tom was watching film at home and he would call McDaniels, watch a certain play together, comment on it and adapt it for their offense if they didn't have it or check some possible imorovements... 

I wouldn’t say McDaniels was left behind on film analysis, offense playbook and gameplan. 

1 hour ago, Nero said:

I wouldn’t say McDaniels was left behind on film analysis, offense playbook and gameplan. 

Not what I was intending to intimate.

Just saying that there was a Belichick-Brady bond/rapport that cut across reporting relationships. In a way I can even admire McD's acceptance of such an interaction that likely preceded his OC days with the Pats. It'd take a self-secure individual to do that.

• Upvote 1

Kind of an odd day today.  All of a sudden all of the coaching vacancies are full and the path is cleared for the Browns two top choices.   

The Panthers & Giants BOTH left McDaniels standing at the altar.  (thinking he would be interviewing with them).   Only fitting I suppose.

So, who's gonna get their guy?  DePodesta or Jimmuh?  

4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Agree....in fact, I don't think we lost any of several people who could be "our guy":   Not McD, Stefanski, Bienemy, Saleh.   Rhule nor the Judge were even on the Browns radar, I do not believe. 

I would not have liked Rhule, not really that impressed honestly. But he WAS on the radar of Cleveland until he turned them down to interview.

I give him a few years and he is gone in Carolina. And they really shelled out for him as well. Reported 7/60

1 hour ago, Gunz41 said:

I would not have liked Rhule, not really that impressed honestly. But he WAS on the radar of Cleveland until he turned them down to interview.

I give him a few years and he is gone in Carolina. And they really shelled out for him as well. Reported 7/60

Didn’t hear that he denied the interview 

17 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Didn’t hear that he denied the interview 

Just what I read sometime around their Bowl game. Pretty sure it was before. 

3 hours ago, Orion said:

Kind of an odd day today.  All of a sudden all of the coaching vacancies are full and the path is cleared for the Browns two top choices.   

The Panthers & Giants BOTH left McDaniels standing at the altar.  (thinking he would be interviewing with them).   Only fitting I suppose.

So, who's gonna get their guy?  DePodesta or Jimmuh?  

The way I understand it is DePodesta will make his recommendation- but the final call is up to Jimmuh to sign off on it. You had better be right Paul. And please don't talk to the Homeless Guy before you make the call Haslam.  :D 

3 hours ago, Gunz41 said:

Yup, heard it on Sports Center. Carolina was slobbering all over Rhule for their new coach. New owner was willing to back up the Brinks truck to land him. Not letting him leave until he said OK. Hope their owner (Tepper) has the same slow learning curve as Haslam.  BTW, the purchase price of an NFL franchise has now escalated to $2.3 billion.  Other owners may be POed he blew up the salary scale for new head coaches. Rhule is #6 on the list before he ever coaches a regular season game. If your curious- and to no one's surprise- Bill B. tops the list at $12 million a year.  

On 1/3/2020 at 4:34 PM, gumby73 said:

Next: I will keep a updated list of Browns interviewees in order of interviewed

#1.Mike McCarthy (open) https://clevelandbrowns.com/news/5-things-to-know-about-mike-mccarthy   *DALLAS

#2.Greg Roman (Ravens OC) https://clevelandbrowns.com/news/5-things-to-know-about-greg-roman   

#3.Eric Bieniemy  (KC OC)  https://clevelandbrowns.com/news/5-things-to-know-about-eric-bieniemy        

#4.Robert Saleh (49'ers DC) https://clevelandbrowns.com/news/5-things-to-know-about-robert-saleh 

#5. Ryan Daboll (Bills OC) https://clevelandbrowns.com/news/5-things-to-know-about-ryan-daboll  McCarthy hired in Dallas same day interviewed Daboll (1-6-20)     

Stefanski later in week, won wildcard game, on to 9'ers Saturday..day pending ..Josh McDaniel's. loss to Titans Sunday. confirmed for this Friday(as of 1-6-20)

Not much to add here fellows... Seems more like weeks since the walls fell in around John Dorsey, but it's only been 8 days... So this maybe the Final HC'ing interview Candidate list..

Jim Schwartz (DC Philly)- Wednesday      Kevin Stefanski (Vikings OC)- Thursday (cannot be hired till Vikes Out)    Josh McDaniels (Patriots OC)- Friday    

Jimmy's 5th coaching change  🤷‍♂️ ....   FANS::  Only 32 get in "Get it F*king Right!!

4 minutes ago, hoorta said:

The way I understand it is DePodesta will make his recommendation- but the final call is up to Jimmuh to sign off on it. You had better be right Paul. And please don't talk to the Homeless Guy before you make the call Haslam.  :D 

Yup, heard it on Sports Center. Carolina was slobbering all over Rhule for their new coach. New owner was willing to back up the Brinks truck to land him. Not letting him leave until he said OK. Hope their owner (Tepper) has the same slow learning curve as Haslam.  BTW, the purchase price of an NFL franchise has now escalated to $2.3 billion.  Other owners may be POed he blew up the salary scale for new head coaches. Rhule is #6 on the list before he ever coaches a regular season game. If your curious- and to no one's surprise- Bill B. tops the list at $12 million a year.  

Sweet 8lb, 6oz baby Jesus... if Rhule got 7yrs/$60mill what would Urban Meyer get? Lincoln Riley? 

2 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Sweet 8lb, 6oz baby Jesus... if Rhule got 7yrs/$60mill what would Urban Meyer get? Lincoln Riley? 

LOL, a Jon Gruden 10 years $100 million?   Silly for unproven talent, for sure.....  

Another Saleh article... this one highlights a connection with Gary Kubiak. So those thinking of Kubiak for OC might have hope in this quarter as well...

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2020/01/07/cleveland-browns-robert-saleh-head-coach/

58 minutes ago, hoorta said:

BTW, the purchase price of an NFL franchise has now escalated to $2.3 billion. 

Other owners may be POed he blew up the salary scale for new head coaches. Rhule is #6 on the list before he ever coaches a regular season game. If your curious- and to no one's surprise- Bill B. tops the list at $12 million a year.  

Damn... and just as I was getting close to affording a team...

And if Ruhle is #6, then nothing as blown up. First time means nothing... the guy was in demand.

What did Gruden get?  10 years at $10mm per year? Now that's blowing up the HC salary structure. It makes Bill look cheap by comparison since he wears the GM hat as well.

Here's the list of Coaches hired in Order 

1) Ron Rivera- Redskins.. Browns never interviewed. And was hired in DC the Day after John Dorsey was released of his duties..

2) Mike McCarthy- Dallas..Browns did interview 1st on List.. Browns were in process of Daboll interview,when McCarty hired in Dallas..Dallas 1st interview, Marvin Lewis..Next day, McCarthy wakes up at Jerry's house coaching the Dallas Cowboys.. 

3) Matt Rhule- Panthers.. Took all of 2 days, since Haslam's hiring staff was put in place.. Called to Interview M.Rhule..Matt Rhule, DeClined to interview with Browns.. 

3) Joe Judge- Giants.. ST coach at Patriots..Shocked to everyone known to football..Baylor/Temple coach Matt Rhule was the suppose'it Giant's target. Rhule called Giants to match Panthers deal, Giants refused to match (click) 

Here's a List of Coaches *That still could be Hired*

Jason Garrett

Marvin Lewis

Kris Richard

Don Martindale

Wade Phillips

Lincoln Riley (maybe)

Urban Meyer (maybe)

Do they fit? ////Who did i forget?////// Anybody else in the whole wide World 🌎 including College football you'd like to included to the Interview list? Speak _UP in the next 48 hours, and not* when were 0-3.... 8 remaining Playoff teams coaches could be added as well (example--Titans-Deen Pees?).. LSU or Clemson? Look under your Rocks & Who else Ya Got!! 

46 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Another Saleh article... this one highlights a connection with Gary Kubiak. So those thinking of Kubiak for OC might have hope in this quarter as well...

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2020/01/07/cleveland-browns-robert-saleh-head-coach/

How is his health?  That is why he retired as Broncos  HC.

16 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Here's the list of Coaches hired in Order 

1) Ron Rivera- Redskins.. Browns never interviewed. And was hired in DC the Day after John Dorsey was released of his duties..

2) Mike McCarthy- Dallas..Browns did interview 1st on List.. Browns were in process of Daboll interview,when McCarty hired in Dallas..Dallas 1st interview, Marvin Lewis..Next day, McCarthy wakes up at Jerry's house coaching the Dallas Cowboys.. 

3) Matt Rhule- Panthers.. Took all of 2 days, since Haslam's hiring staff was put in place.. Called to Interview M.Rhule..Matt Rhule, DeClined to interview with Browns.. 

3) Joe Judge- Giants.. ST coach at Patriots..Shocked to everyone known to football..Baylor/Temple coach Matt Rhule was the suppose'it Giant's target. Rhule called Giants to match Panthers deal, Giants refused to match (click) 

Here's a List of Coaches *That still could be Hired*

Jason Garrett

Marvin Lewis

Kris Richard

Don Martindale

Wade Phillips

Lincoln Riley (maybe)

Urban Meyer (maybe)

Do they fit? ////Who did i forget?////// Anybody else in the whole wide World 🌎 including College football you'd like to included to the Interview list? Speak _UP in the next 48 hours, and not* when were 0-3.... 8 remaining Playoff teams coaches could be added as well (example--Titans-Deen Pees?).. LSU or Clemson? Look under your Rocks & Who else Ya Got!! 

Who did you miss?  Everyone that has been under consideration:  McDaniels,  Saleh, Stefanski, Daboll, Bienemy, Schwartz,  Roman....and maybe more.

• Upvote 2