THE BROWNS BOARD

HC/GM/Position Coach tracker

gumby73

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

Not so fast my friend. Entirely possible Josh could tell the Giants "I have a few more interviews to do, I'll let you know". McDaniels will for sure have his choice of landing spots, and with his Cleveland roots, who's to say?    Haslam bad owner? How about Gettelman bad GM? HMMM?  Plus the pressure cooker of the NY media. Dry roasted Shure-loss after a couple of years.   

Fair points, of course.  But it sounds too much like LeBron instead of McDaniels.  

...and I bet McDaniels can get them to reassign Gettleman as coffee fetcher.  :)

I betchya if he makes it all the way to Haslam on Friday he'll be able to make Jimmy crown him HC, GM, President and Poobah....

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

But he's learned from the GOAT of modern day coaches longer than any other of Bill's assistants (I think). Having Tom #12 sure didn't hurt. And it's up for debate how much that helped Josh. The argument he drafted Tebow in Denver doesn't fly, because I doubt he would have final say on the draft in Cleveland. 

Not so fast my friend. Entirely possible Josh could tell the Giants "I have a few more interviews to do, I'll let you know". McDaniels will for sure have his choice of landing spots, and with his Cleveland roots, who's to say?    Haslam bad owner? How about Gettelman bad GM? HMMM?  Plus the pressure cooker of the NY media. Dry roasted Shure-loss after a couple of years.   

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Well, that is a question in any situation like this:   How much were those guys accomplishments the result of his input, or how much of his success was the result of their input.    Probably impossible to measure really. 

I'm not even saying that he couldn't be the best OC, and I certainly think he is qualified to be the next HC.

But, I take issue with anyone not thinking without question he is the best OC and if not they have serious problems.

As with Brady/Belichick, taking one away from the other could result in significant changes in history. We have never seen Brady without BB, but I am certainly not of the mind that taking BB tenure in Cleveland to prove what he would be without Brady. Because he also had quite the success in NY, and Parcells didn't have nearly the results without BB. 

And if the argument is that McDaniels is the best OC left after some of the better ones left in last few years, well it didn't show this season, or really a whole lot last. What have you done for me lately. Roman took a QB who was thought of as RG3 2.0 and made him the MVP. He isn't getting the credit he deserves. And no, before its said I am not making a case for Roman. And then you have the teams where the HC is the real OC/Play caller, such as Andy Reid. 

I don't know that you can quantify  who is the "best OC".

We try to do it with HCs and QBs......look at their win loss record;   look at their championship account.   I guess if we turned to that to quantify an OC or DC.....then the mulitple SBs  his teams have won while he was OC  must very much be counted in the plus column for him.

Good updates crew, thanks & keep them coming..

Ryan Daboll i'll update as confirmed Interviewed.Post #2..

Scott Petrak can confirm the browns requested to interview with Philly's DC *Jim Schwartz* .. Josh McDaniel's now set for Friday (book it;))  any confirmed day set for Stefanski yet? ?   

14 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

browns requested to interview with Philly's DC *Jim Schwartz*

Just saw that as well.

Someone around here mentioned Schwartz early on for bringing the discipline we need.

14 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Good updates crew, thanks & keep them coming..

Ryan Daboll i'll update as confirmed Interviewed.Post #2..

Scott Petrak can confirm the browns requested to interview with Philly's DC *Jim Schwartz* .. Josh McDaniel's now set for Friday (book it;))  any confirmed day set for Stefanski yet? ?   

Schwartz?   Another name in the hopper. 

7 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Schwartz?   Another name in the hopper. 

McDilly Dally Daniels wants us to wait till Friday? Keep Them Coming...adding Jimmy Schwartz can't hurt this defense

My DC apparently made a splash...

Report: Robert Saleh’s interview ‘went very well. Cleveland Browns leaving room to be swayed’ in coaching search

Reportedly, San Francisco 49ers assistant coach Robert Saleh made a very positive impression during his interview with the Cleveland Browns.

Author: Matthew Florjancic Published: 5:07 PM EST January 6, 2020 Updated: 5:07 PM EST January 6, 2020

CLEVELAND — The Cleveland Browns have interviewed five men for their head coaching vacancy with reportedly at least two more candidates to meet with the search committee of owner Jimmy Haslam, chief strategist Paul DePodesta and executives Chris Cooper and JW Johnson.

While there are installed favorites for the Browns’ next coach, including offensive coordinators Josh McDaniels (New England Patriots) and Kevin Stefanski (Minnesota Vikings), an unheralded contender apparently has made the search a little more interesting.

According to ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler, the interview with San Francisco 49ers defensive coordinator Robert Saleh “went very well” because he “had good football and staff ideas.”

Fowler further reported the Browns are “leaving room to be swayed.”

https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/nfl/browns/report-robert-salehs-interview-went-very-well-cleveland-browns-leaving-room-to-be-swayed-in-coaching-search/95-21c28e79-ce07-4185-b1b6-eb7a07dade71

43 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

My DC apparently made a splash...

Report: Robert Saleh’s interview ‘went very well.

I got my Camp flag in my hands for weeks, but I can't Plant it unless Kubiak leaves Squarepantski with Zimmer in Soda..  make a call 📞 & Make It Happen :)

4 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

His D has improved each of the three years he has been DC. Clearly he is helping to identify needs and successfully integrating draft picks into his D. That ain't nothing and it sure beats wasting talent.

Saleh caught my eye early and nothing I've read has put me off of him.

Well, then. I didn't know Saleh was that young. Probably would do a better job with Williams and Ward than Wilks did. 

It is Roman, Saleh and then McDaniels for me. I'm not going to cry for missing out McCarthy. 

21 minutes ago, Nero said:

Well, then. I didn't know Saleh was that young. Probably would do a better job with Williams and Ward than Wilks did. 

It is Roman, Saleh and then McDaniels for me. I'm not going to cry for missing out McCarthy. 

I'm not upset on missing out on McCarthy either. But the same argument against Saleh can be used on McDaniels. Saleh is coaching a loaded defense, as McDaniels offense with the GOATS of coaching and qbs in New England. How good is Roman since the Ravens caught lightning in a bottle with Lamar?  

My preference as of now is McDaniels, but I won't be shocked if the Browns pick someone else..... 

McDaniels to interview with Giants before Browns on Friday...(Gettleman, "No Josh, that's why they hired me";))

In some 1st Browns GM news.. Mike Garafalo reports that Trent Kirchner or Scott Fitterer from Seahawks, could become Browns GM names to keep a eye on..Jimmy admires Hawks sustained success (oh really?)..

Pending Coach? 1 of 2 could emerge as a strong Browns GM Candidate (1-5-20/Garafalo)

48 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

And now the Giants have Judge.

Talk about an outside-the-box darkhorse... first I heard his name was the announcement that he'd been hired.

53 minutes ago, runyon27 said:

I think all the teams except us have a HC now. Panthers went with Ruhle and the Giants just hired some Pats assistant coach. So lets get this buttoned up...

Why hurry now?

I don't think we lost "our guy" to anybody else and we are the last job out there. Seems like taking our time would be prudent.

Finish the opening round... hold a couple callback interviews... deliberate... hire... move on to the GM role.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Talk about an outside-the-box darkhorse... first I heard his name was the announcement that he'd been hired.

Special teams coach helped the Pats WR this year.  Potential Miss State HC candidate.

yeah it was left field.

Another rumor is Garrett as the OC

Wow Giants fan base has to be slightly upset 

Just now, Tour2ma said:

Why hurry now?

I don't think we lost "our guy" to anybody else and we are the last job out there. Seems like taking our time would be prudent.

Finish the opening round... hold a couple callback interviews... deliberate... hire... move on to the GM role.

Yep.  The more jobs That fly off the shelf the more leverage we hold.

5 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Yep.  The more jobs That fly off the shelf the more leverage we hold.

Except getting  quality  coordinators and assistants. The other guys will  waste  no time rounding out  their staffs. We still  have Wilks and  Monken in the building,  but will  the new HC want to  keep  them? 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Except getting  quality  coordinators and assistants. The other guys will  waste  no time rounding out  their staffs. We still  have Wilks and  Monken in the building,  but will  the new HC want to  keep  them? 

If he's smart...he'll send them packing.

Just don't bring back Ray Horton.

2 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

McDaniels is what Haslam has wanted for a long time.  The dismissal of Dorsey was a large red flag for us and a roadblock for him.

McD is a control freak.   So this won't end well...

Agree, Josh is another one of those coaches that think he's a GM too.

16 minutes ago, hoorta said:

You don’t think Josh is already talking to people?

part of his HC pitch will likely include some of his key hires he plans on making.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Both. They both called those types of plays. Trying to impose their will as a trickster play-caller, instead of letting players like Baker, Chubb and Landry do their thing.

Which would still be an improvement.  We had way too many key plays where we have all these horses and we are targeting Harris or Hilliard. 

Once again, not saying I'm on the McDaniels train, but why does everyone just assume he wants to be the GM as well? He tried that in Denver and it ended horribly but he was also, I believe, the youngest head coach in the league by many years. It's been over 10 years since he was the head coach of Denver. He's only 43 years old. I think and would certainly hope that he has learned from his mistakes in Denver and now knows how to fix them. I think this is why it is so important to get a GM that aligns with his values on players are and why the Browns are hiring this person second. McDaniels can't shoulder all the responsibility. Plus, he's been through a few other organizations at this point and has a better understanding of the league. I would rather hire McDaniels of now then the McDaniels of 10 years ago.

The Browns now have their pick between Stefanski and McDaniels. It will be fascinating to see what happens. I don't have much of an opinion because who the hell knows now a days. Also, for what it is worth, DePodesta's contract runs out at the end of the week.