THE BROWNS BOARD

HC/GM/Position Coach tracker

gumby73

And just before anyone calls me a downer, Daboll, Stefanski and Saleh are a no-no for me. First two haven't done anything, third one has garned some attention only after he has gotten the best front 7 in the league... 

I don't trust McDaniels as a HC (Broncos, Colts fiascos... He lost my respect there) , but whoever doesn't think he is the best OC in the league has some serious problems. He could do wonders with this offense if someone makes him forget about defense (ala Rams?). The only problem is that Brady has been more mature, clever and hard worker than any QB in the league, and we have for now a cocky commercial kid. 

McCarthy has got a Superbowl, but I wonder how much of a reason for his dismissal was his relation with Rodgers and having a bad Defensive Coordinator. IIRC he had Capers as a DC and their defense always underperformed. I wouldn’t be enthusiastic or disappointed with him as HC. 

I don't know anything about any other coach. What I hate the most is seeing other teams getting good head coaches (Frank Reich, Mike Vrabel come to mind) while the Browns keep signing and firing awful ones. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Westside Steve said:

Gipper is mad because it's not his thread. Come on who knows about any of this shit??

WSS

You could post this with the exact same words in almost every other thread and it would always get upvotes. 

• Upvote 1

coaching news from late Sunday.....Dallas owner Jerry Jones cuts ties with HC  *Jason Garrett* with no news on retaining his staff...

Dallas has interviewed Marvin Lewis, who insist Hue Jackson will be on his Staff.. M.McCarthy has also interviewed... 

EDit- Bills OC Ryan Daboll comes to Cleveland ToDay for HC interview..

Am no longer available for interview's returning to my place of employment for first time of 2020.. and late again 🚴‍♂️.... so play nice;) !! 

4 hours ago, Nero said:

And just before anyone calls me a downer, Daboll, Stefanski and Saleh are a no-no for me. First two haven't done anything, third one has garned some attention only after he has gotten the best front 7 in the league... 

I don't trust McDaniels as a HC (Broncos, Colts fiascos... He lost my respect there) , but whoever doesn't think he is the best OC in the league has some serious problems. He could do wonders with this offense if someone makes him forget about defense (ala Rams?). The only problem is that Brady has been more mature, clever and hard worker than any QB in the league, and we have for now a cocky commercial kid. 

McCarthy has got a Superbowl, but I wonder how much of a reason for his dismissal was his relation with Rodgers and having a bad Defensive Coordinator. IIRC he had Capers as a DC and their defense always underperformed. I wouldn’t be enthusiastic or disappointed with him as HC. 

I don't know anything about any other coach. What I hate the most is seeing other teams getting good head coaches (Frank Reich, Mike Vrabel come to mind) while the Browns keep signing and firing awful ones. 

I’m open to a coordinator but I want a Boss..give me a type A+ that can handle some of our type A+ personalities.  But also the tricky combo of someone going into the job that has perspective - doesn’t think they are preparing every aspect of the gameplan and micromanaging personnel.  
You uncover this stuff in interviews and background checks.

The leading coordinator will also have a good team assembled the OC, DC and QB coach being really important. 

4 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Gipper is mad because it's not his thread. Come on who knows about any of this shit??

WSS

What the Fuck are you talking about?   Not even sure what you are referencing.   I/we CAN look at the respective resumes of Stefanski and McDaniel and we can tell which has had more success at it.   The only thing one could argue is that:  "Oh, all the success the Pats had with McD as OC is really attributable to   TB and BB, and a potted plant could have done the job that McDaniels did".      Well....I understand that argument. I don't buy it.  The  combined braintrust of Brady and McDaniel has produced a lot of those results.   The facts override the speculation. 

1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

Still in Play?:

Greg Roman

Robert Saleh

Josh McDaniel

Brian DaBoll

Urban Meyer (maybe)

Did I miss anyone?  

And the answer to a question that was asked:   Only McDaniel has been a HC in the NFL before. 

Eric Bienimy and an unnamed CFL coach

35 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Yea, forgot about Bienemy.   And where have you heard about some unnamed CFL coach.....or are you just yanking our chain?

I read about a CFL coach yesterday. "They reached out" but apparently hasn't been offered an interview.

OK,  I have just heard about another candidate for Browns HC that may surface:

Recently released Cowboys HC   Jason Garrett.

That it one I have to think about,  but the TV commentator said that he would be good for Mayfield.  Of course, he is a proven mediocre coach....who is used to having an owner domineer him.   Haslam would in no way be as bad as Jones however in that regard. I wonder if he would thrive more once he is out from under the thumb of Jones. 

And, by the way...he is a Cleveland guy as well.  From 2d grade he lived in Hunting Valley,   attended University School for high school, Princeton for college. 

• Like 1

McDaniels, Meyer, or Garrett. All extremely experienced in their own unique ways. 
This is quite the year to find a HC.

I’ll pass on Stefanski after that Todd Haley style reverse pass to halt the momentum on a playoff drive yesterday against the Saints. Vikings were driving. 1st and 10=loss of 5 yards. Drive killer.

4 minutes ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

McDaniels, Meyer, or Garrett. All extremely experienced in their own unique ways. 
This is quite the year to find a HC.

I’ll pass on Stefanski after that Todd Haley style reverse pass to halt the momentum on a playoff drive yesterday against the Saints. Vikings were driving. 1st and 10=loss of 5 yards. Drive killer.

Was that a Todd Haley style play.....or a Freddie Kitchens style of play. 

23 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

and I suppose the defense didn't have anything to do with the Patriots' superbowls?

not buyin it. McDaniels' lack of character stands out in his resume.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000915131/article/josh-mcdaniels-withdraws-from-colts-coaching-job

Cal I know you're big on character- I for one haven't forgotten your continual bashing of Josh Rosen for perceived character flaws. But in defense of McDaniels- Local Guy. FWIW, I don't have a dog in this fight, just pick the right guy for a change Jimmy....  That he flopped as a HC in Denver shouldn't factor into the equation. As Gipper pointed out plenty of fired first time flop head coaches went on to win Super Bowls. Yeah- Josh stiffing the Colts doesn't sit well with me either. 

"PLAYING

McDaniels attended John Carroll University, where he played quarterback and wide receiver for the Blue Streaks from 1995-98. McDaniels was a college teammate of former NFL linebacker London Fletcher, Patriots director of player personnel Nick Caserio, assistant quarterbacks coach Jerry Schuplinski and director of pro personnel Dave Ziegler.

PERSONAL

A native of Canton, Ohio, McDaniels is the son of one of the most well-respected high school coaches in the country. Thom McDaniels was a finalist for the NFL High School Coach of the Year award in 2012, and Josh benefited from growing up in a football family."

As of 10AM- scratch McCarthy off the list....  Browns were apparently less than thrilled with the interview.....  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001094867/article/mike-mccarthy-says-hes-signed-to-be-cowboys-hc

And correct me if I'm wrong- McDaniels is the only serious candidate left out there with previous HC experience. I don't count Starvin' Marvin Lewis as a serious candidate.  

PS- as Gipper mentioned, now that Garrett is out of a job- he has some Ohio connections. Wonder if the Browns will be interested in interviewing him?   

At this point, I don't know who is the best candidate but if McCarthy is hired, then that means most of that staff is going away. Kris Richard was supposed to be a hot HC candidate last year but his defense with Marineli this year was average at best. However, he is a no-nonsense coach that players really like to play for. Maybe pair him up with McDaniels as the HC? Let's be honest, it's either McDaniels or Stefanski, right? I would be shocked if Saleh or even Roman gets the job. Stefanski's offense looked pretty craptastic yesterday and Roman only succeeds when he has an ultra mobile qb. I don't know. Who cares as long as they can freaking win football games. Any chance old Lincoln has gotten a phone call? 

1 hour ago, crstphr2 said:

Wayde is a Free Agent as of a couple of hours ago.

OK,  still.   I guess if Dick LeBeau could still do it into his late 70s,   Phillips can too. 

He will actually be 73 come next season.

And does anyone buy this Garrett rumor.  There had been talk on it on several  ESPN and Fox programs today.

1 minute ago, Bigalow80 said:

At this point, I don't know who is the best candidate but if McCarthy is hired, then that means most of that staff is going away. Kris Richard was supposed to be a hot HC candidate last year but his defense with Marineli this year was average at best. However, he is a no-nonsense coach that players really like to play for. Maybe pair him up with McDaniels as the HC? Let's be honest, it's either McDaniels or Stefanski, right? I would be shocked if Saleh or even Roman gets the job. Stefanski's offense looked pretty craptastic yesterday and Roman only succeeds when he has an ultra mobile qb. I don't know. Who cares as long as they can freaking win football games. Any chance old Lincoln has gotten a phone call? 

My Lincoln is a 2015....so its not that old, and less than 60K miles.  :P

Jimmy Haslam said he wanted someone with NFL experience.    I don't think he necessarily meant HC experience, maybe at least coordinator experience.  To your knowledge, does Lincoln Riley have any NFL experience?    Matt Rhule does. 

Haslam said they were focusing on people currently with NFL experience, but that statement is easily walked back especially if they I hire Riley. I think what they really want is someone who has a leader mentality and can run an organization. To my knowledge, Lincoln Riley does not have any NFL experience but he does have Baker experience. Ignoring the perceived bias about him being Baker's coach, Riley has taken Oklahoma to greater heights than what Stoops did over his last few years. That program has become top 5. Grant it, he has to learn how to win the big game and what a defense looks like, but he can coach...especially qb's in that system. I'm not saying he is my pick, I'm just saying the Browns need a leader who the players respect. Will they respect Daboll or Stefanski? Saleh and roman? McDaniels can at least point to his 6 rings. Will they respect him after what he did in Denver? I can't answer any of those questions but I guess we will find out within the next week or so.

I don't know how anyone can say that McDaniels IS the best OC in NFL. That doesn't mean he isn't good, or that he couldn't/shouldn't be the next HC. But saying it as if it is a proven fact isn't right. 

He has had the benefit of the best QB ever, and arguably the best coach. 

12 minutes ago, Gunz41 said:

I don't know how anyone can say that McDaniels IS the best OC in NFL. That doesn't mean he isn't good, or that he couldn't/shouldn't be the next HC. But saying it as if it is a proven fact isn't right. 

Well, that is a question in any situation like this:   How much were those guys accomplishments the result of his input, or how much of his success was the result of their input.    Probably impossible to measure really. 

McDaniels is going to interview with the Giants on Wednesday.   And that's where it will end.  We are scheduled to meet with him on Friday.....but he'll have been a Giant for two days already by then.  And that's ok with me.  Anyone who drafted Tebow in the first round is not someone that I would want in charge of too much.  That was laughable. (wait, that would mean that he would fit right in with us).

I know that he's from the area......but really, who in their right mind would want to be a HC under Jimmy Haslam....when you have options?

The only reason that I would want McDaniels is so that Haslam could have 'his' guy and MAYBE give him a little time to right the ship.

56 minutes ago, Gunz41 said:

But he's learned from the GOAT of modern day coaches longer than any other of Bill's assistants (I think). Having Tom #12 sure didn't hurt. And it's up for debate how much that helped Josh. The argument he drafted Tebow in Denver doesn't fly, because I doubt he would have final say on the draft in Cleveland. 

41 minutes ago, Orion said:

McDaniels is going to interview with the Giants on Wednesday.   And that's where it will end.  We are scheduled to meet with him on Friday.....but he'll have been a Giant for two days already by then.  And that's ok with me.  Anyone who drafted Tebow in the first round is not someone that I would want in charge of too much.  That was laughable. (wait, that would mean that he would fit right in with us).

I know that he's from the area......but really, who in their right mind would want to be a HC under Jimmy Haslam....when you have options?

The only reason that I would want McDaniels is so that Haslam could have 'his' guy and MAYBE give him a little time to right the ship.

Not so fast my friend. Entirely possible Josh could tell the Giants "I have a few more interviews to do, I'll let you know". McDaniels will for sure have his choice of landing spots, and with his Cleveland roots, who's to say?    Haslam bad owner? How about Gettelman bad GM? HMMM?  Plus the pressure cooker of the NY media. Dry roasted Shure-loss after a couple of years.   

13 hours ago, Nero said:

Saleh ... has garned some attention only after he has gotten the best front 7 in the league... 

His D has improved each of the three years he has been DC. Clearly he is helping to identify needs and successfully integrating draft picks into his D. That ain't nothing and it sure beats wasting talent.

Saleh caught my eye early and nothing I've read has put me off of him.

Around the NFL: Saleh reportedly interviewed well for the Browns job

When you are successful, other teams are going to want in on what you are doing. It’s no surprise that San Francisco 49ers defensive coordinator Robert Saleh is making the interview rounds. Saleh interviewed with the Cleveland Browns over the weekend, and according to ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler, the interview went very well. Fowler said, “I’m told Robert Saleh’s interview with Browns went very well -- met with Jimmy Haslam and Paul DePodesta, had good football and staff ideas. Continue to hear Josh McDaniels and Kevin Stefanski are early favorites but Browns leaving room to be swayed.”

https://www.ninersnation.com/2020/1/6/21053926/around-the-nfl-saleh-reportedly-interviewed-well-for-the-browns-job

• Like 1

One more...

Robert Saleh: Get to know the Browns coach candidate

CLEVELAND, Ohio — 49ers defensive coordinator Robert Saleh is one of the candidates for the Browns’ head coaching job. The team interviewed Saleh on Saturday while San Francisco was on its first-round bye. Get to know more about Saleh here.

Coaching history

2002-03: Defensive assistant at Michigan State

2004: Defensive assistant at Central Michigan

2005: Defensive assistant at Georgia

2006-08: Texans defensive quality control coach

2009-10: Texans assistant linebackers coach

2011-13: Seahawks defensive quality control coach

2014-16: Jaguars linebackers coach

2017-present: 49ers defensive coordinator

Why he’s a candidate

Saleh has made quite the rapid rise up the coaching ranks, from being a position coach just six years ago to leading one of the NFL’s best defenses in 2019. His unit was a big reason San Francisco was one of the biggest surprise teams in the league this season.

This season, San Francisco allowed the second-fewest yards and eighth-fewest points in the NFL. The 49ers also forced 27 takeaways, sixth most in the league.

He will be 41 at the end of January. And while he hasn’t been in the league long, he has had quite the impact in his last few stops, including in Seattle where he was part of a defensive staff that won a Super Bowl before going to Jacksonville after the 2013 season. Conor Orr of Sports Illustrated wrote back on Dec. 17 that a decision for someone to hire Saleh as a head coach “may be the biggest no-brainer of the coaching cycle.”

3 things to know about Saleh

1. Saleh was a four-year starter at tight end at Northern Michigan from 1998 to 2002.He did not move into a professional playing career, instead going into coaching right away starting with Michigan State in 2002.

2. His focus on the defensive side of the football has been mostly with linebackers before becoming the defensive coordinator in San Francisco. Among the names he has worked with and helped develop in his career are DeMeco Ryans, Brian Cushing, K.J. Wright, Malcolm Smith, Bobby Wagner and Telvin Smith.

3. Saleh’s older brother, David, was a survivor of the World Trade Center attacks on Sept. 11, 2001. David was working in the South Tower at the time of the attack and was one of the people who escaped the building before it fell. Robert Klemko wrote about it for Sports Illustrated back in 2017, and Robert explained that it was his brother’s remarkable survival that drove him to get into coaching.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/01/robert-saleh-get-to-know-the-browns-coach-candidate.html

• Thanks 1