THE BROWNS BOARD

The 'Who you watching?' 2020 thread.

The Gipper

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Some of those Juniors listed have not declared for the draft, so I'm not sure why drafttek is even listing them.

I don't really follow drafteck but liked the layout with all of the predraft information including ht/wt, class and their rankings.  Besides the main players are on the top of the list. I could fit the top 14 with the screenshots.

Walters is nice but TMI to copy paste easily. 

......oh and many have it 1. Super Joe 2. Tua. as the 1/2 or 1/3 in the draft then Justin later.

6 hours ago, Neo said:

Kyle Trask. Don't know much about college football , but I happened to catch the Bowl game Florida was in, I was impressed with what I saw. Big guy and seems to have good mechanics. Made some nice passes.

With the workout routines, nutrition and now the specialized QB camps, many with the same kids in them these guys are getting prepared when they leave high school to step up in college and the pros.  You don't necessarily have to be a top 5 pick to succeed.....but it helps.

It's not so much true now that a candidate must sit for a few years before they can handle playing at the NFL level.  Just look at the AFCN with Mayfield and Jackson in year 1.(or Mahomes, Trubisky and others)

Still though a franchise NFL quarterback is the toughest and most valuable player to land in team sports.

14 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Just watching some highlights on him on ESPN 6' 1". 207 and tough, strong with good ball skills.  Just one to watch.

He won’t be a first rounder but he could be the best guy out of the group.

I would consider a guy like Austin Mack too back end of the draft.  

Burrow might be my favorite QB prospect in the past several years. His efficiency under pressure and his ability to get the ball to various levels of the field is outstanding. The ONLY question mark is that he really only played one year and that does give me a LITTLE pause. 

But only a little. Burrow has just about everything and we're going to be seeing his arm twice a year for a loooooong time. 

I certainly hope a new coach can get Baker back on track. It's no secret that we would've won more games if he played better. Missing high consistently, turning it over, failing in the red zone, and not recognizing easy blitz reads. Can he be better? We know he can. 

We got some great news when Tua announced. QBs are such a priority that he'll undoubtedly go top 5, which will help us immensely. I don't THINK we'll get the FIRST Tackle off of the board, but we'll get one of the top two. There's also a badass safety from LSU that could change our defense. We're going to be just fine, I feel it. 

25 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Burrow might be my favorite QB prospect in the past several years. His efficiency under pressure and his ability to get the ball to various levels of the field is outstanding. The ONLY question mark is that he really only played one year and that does give me a LITTLE pause. 

But only a little. Burrow has just about everything and we're going to be seeing his arm twice a year for a loooooong time. 

I certainly hope a new coach can get Baker back on track. It's no secret that we would've won more games if he played better. Missing high consistently, turning it over, failing in the red zone, and not recognizing easy blitz reads. Can he be better? We know he can. 

We got some great news when Tua announced. QBs are such a priority that he'll undoubtedly go top 5, which will help us immensely. I don't THINK we'll get the FIRST Tackle off of the board, but we'll get one of the top two. There's also a badass safety from LSU that could change our defense. We're going to be just fine, I feel it. 

With his injury I definitely think there is some doubt about him going Top 5.   But I agree that with him in the mix it could mean that another player that could have gone earlier may be there to choose from, among others....including what you mention.

On 1/6/2020 at 12:02 PM, tiamat63 said:

PFF loves the kid.  But I just don't see it. I think he's a good athlete, surrounded by superior talent.   Going to take a great deal of work to make him a QB between the ears.

I already see Tua making progression reads near the equal of Burrow. Issue is he cuts and runs prematurely... in part due to his athleticism.

What separates Burrow is his deadly accuracy.

• Like 1

Fields certainly can improve as a passer - but don't forget the B10 defenses are a lot better coached and have better athletes than the ACC that Lawrence has been feasting on.  I'll take Fields and bet on the OSU teaching staff.

Yes, Lawrence put himself back into the discussion for the Heisman at the end of the regular season... by running up the clean-pocket stats when facing the Murderers' Row of Wofford, NC State, and Wake Forest.  As well, if the fumble recovery was called correctly, we wouldn't be talking about Trevor bc he'd have lost to Fields.

The only Browns jersey I want to see on Tua is when he's partying with Billy in Vegas..

Chazz Surratt LB North Carolina.  I Remember him showing up and playing well against Clemson.  I think he’s played just one year on the defensive side and he actually played QB.

Very productive for just one year on that side. Looks like a major athlete on tape the type of backer that will be able to line up and cover backs well and elite TEs.

18 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

Fields certainly can improve as a passer - but don't forget the B10 defenses are a lot better coached and have better athletes than the ACC that Lawrence has been feasting on.  I'll take Fields and bet on the OSU teaching staff.

Yes, Lawrence put himself back into the discussion for the Heisman at the end of the regular season... by running up the clean-pocket stats when facing the Murderers' Row of Wofford, NC State, and Wake Forest.

The only Browns jersey I want to see on Tua is when he's partying with Billy in Vegas..

I was unimpressed in the Spring Game with Fields.  Probably should have cut the kid some slack- at a new place learning a new offense.  He looked green his first read was taken away he was running. Fast forward to September - Wow.  Looked like he put in a lot of work and Ryan Day and Co. coached him up.  Maybe helps that he was throwing into a complete NFL secondary throughout practices as well. 

I get the hold onto the ball too long criticism, more of function of reading coverages.  He’s 20 in a new offense it’s gonna happen. I was equally impressed because he is very calm and stands in makes plays.  And he didn’t really miss too many plays either.  His deep ball improved over the year.  The real test when he was limited in the run game the last 3-4 games he still performed better than ever against some tough defenses. 

He will have another year In the offense.  His Oline is back and he has some major WR weapons too.  He’ll be a threat for the Top spot in 2021. 

7 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I already see Tua making progression reads near the equal of Burrow. Issue is he cuts and runs prematurely... in part due to his athleticism.

I think what separates Burrow is his vision of the whole field and use of his eyes to misdirect the DBs. The accuracy then comes into play no doubt. This guy is pro ready from day one.

8 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I see him 'attempt' to read.  Mostly pre-snap.  But I see a lot of locking in, being afforded great pass protection or using his legs then he starts "scanning" the field.   Clemson really highlighted his short comings.

And I see we've reached the great Tiamat-Tour QB divide of 2020.   We took a couple years off there - welcome back.

On 1/5/2020 at 10:54 AM, tiamat63 said:

Grant Delpit might be chocolate Hitman Harry.     6'2 203.   Kid has the frame to fill out and put on a little more 'good' mass.   But when I watch him I see more of that tweener role and less of a pure deep middle man.    Although I admit he has solid eye discipline and good range, I just think his footwork needs some serious cleaning up before I make him my secondary general.    I wasn't fond of the idea of matching him with Randall, but after watching two games this morning.... I'm warming up to the possibility.

I've watched him for several games "live" and you can't underestimate a tone setter for a defense. The guy is a leader and a "ball sniffer". Somehow he ends up wherever the ball ends up way more than anyone else on that very good defensive team.

16 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I've watched him for several games "live" and you can't underestimate a tone setter for a defense. The guy is a leader and a "ball sniffer". Somehow he ends up wherever the ball ends up way more than anyone else on that very good defensive team.

The more I watch, the more I wonder if injury is why I perceive a drop off.  There's a play vs Alabama I saw that jumped out at me so immediately I had to watch it a few times.   It's one of those where I would love to sit and pick his brain on what he saw because it was either brilliant or reckless. A fine line the best safeties walk play after play. 

I'll link it later when I'm through with all the busy stuff. 

On 1/5/2020 at 5:16 PM, Tour2ma said:

Yup... and if not Bill someone will... maybe Roman, if he ends up with an HC gig.

I actually like Hurts' chances. He won't be the elusive runner Lamar is, but he has speed and one-cut ability. Plus he has arm talent and showed at OU that he can pick up a new offense PDQ. It'll take some patience, but should end up worth it.

Depending how the coach situation turns out I like the idea of Hurts in day two. I think Baker would enjoy having an OU dude on the roster and Hurts, if anything, is clearly a leave it on the field guy.

Watching Taysom Hill and Lamar (although totally agree he’s not the same to Jackson) really makes you wonder how Hurts could look as QB2.

Are folks finding "cut ups" for their prospect evals? My old reliable, DraftBreakdown, site is dead and youtube's Cut Up Corner hasn't seem a post sine 2017.

25 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Are folks finding "cut ups" for their prospect evals? My old reliable, DraftBreakdown, site is dead and youtube's Cut Up Corner hasn't seem a post sine 2017.

Big enough names are plug in and watch.  There is usually a few games cut for them specifically.

I've had to be patient but many people upload whole games, which I then have to go through and play spot.   It's a pain in the ass, but if I want to see more of a player, sometimes it's a necessity.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Big enough names are plug in and watch.  There is usually a few games cut for them specifically.

I've had to be patient but many people upload whole games, which I then have to go through and play spot.   It's a pain in the ass, but if I want to see more of a player, sometimes it's a necessity.

All on youtube I trust???

That was the great thing about DraftBreakdown... you could find some tape on even Day 3, small school prospects.

I'm watching PBS.  Ok so I'm a nerd.

Hey only one more actual game until the real NCAA meat market games begin like:

Both annual college showcases that the NFL supports — the East-West Shrine Bowl and Senior Bowl — impact the community through charitable causes. Created by the Shriners in 1925, the East-West Shrine Bowl supports Shriners Hospitals for Children in its mission to help children in need of expert medical care. The Senior Bowl benefits various local and regional organizations.

“The East-West Shrine Bowl merges both the game with community service by enriching young lives at the Shriners Hospitals,” said Troy Vincent, NFL Executive Vice President of Football Operations.

The NFL supports:

• East-West Shrine Bowl – The NFL provides the coaching staff, game officials and four Legends captains for the nation’s oldest all-star college football game. The game is an opportunity for emerging assistant coaches to gain valuable experiences and showcase their coaching and leadership skills. The 2020 game, Jan. 18 at Tropicana Field, will air on NFL Network.
  • Senior Bowl – Two NFL clubs equip each team with full coaching, training, video and equipment staffs to support the annual Senior Bowl. The 2020 Senior Bowl on Jan. 25 will air on NFL Network from Mobile’s Ladd-Peebles Stadium.

The NFLPA Collegiate Bowl

The future of football is bright – and it’s right here. The NFLPA Collegiate Bowl is the premier postseason all-star game for any draft-eligible college football players. More than just a game, this week-long experience provides players with the chance to showcase their game to NFL scouts and coaches, while learning from the best in the business. The Collegiate Bowl not only prepares players for the speed and intensity of professional football, but also for the business and lifestyle changes that come with it.

CB_Web_Graphic_RoseBowl_Master-400x133_c.jpg

THE DREAM BOWL
JANUARY 17-20, 2020.    

The Dream Bowl is a College Football All-Star Showcase of the best FCS, D-II and D-III players from across the country. The game and the series of events held over Martin Luther King Weekend are a celebration of the excellence, commitment, and sacrifice made by the players and their families.

The Dream Bowl treats seniors to a real bowl game experience.   The Dream Bowl provides first-class accommodations, meals, and facilities for the players, along with a full weekend of football and social related activities for their friends and families, which will create a lifetime of memories for their collegiate send-off game.

logo-1541634024946282927.pngMonday, January 20: Dream Bowl VIII. Kickoff is at 12:00PM.

He'll be in it. Has declared. Hope he doesn't fall to the stupid Patriots. How high in the first round if he goes go in the first round?

An SI article on his best fit possibilities: If he jumps to the top ten, that could really help the Browns' chances of getting their top desired pick to fall to them at ten?

https://www.si.com/college/georgia/news/jake-fromm-best-fit-for-2020-nfl-draft

Georgia had high hopes for a final four spot but still had a good season.  Fromm won't be in the top 3 but will all of the soon to be retiring quarterbacks should get some good looks at the workouts.

Georgia fell short of the College Football Playoff for the second straight season. The Bulldogs finished with a 12–2 record, their only losses coming to South Carolina and LSU.

Screenshot_2020-01-06_221007.jpg

20 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

He'll be in it. Has declared. Hope he doesn't fall to the stupid Patriots. How high in the first round if he goes go in the first round?

An SI article on his best fit possibilities: If he jumps to the top ten, that could really help the Browns' chances of getting their top desired pick to fall to them at ten?

https://www.si.com/college/georgia/news/jake-fromm-best-fit-for-2020-nfl-draft

Pats have Jason Stitham.  Is Fromm considered an upgrade from him?  

QB

RK PLAYER SCHOOL YEAR POS POS RK HT WT    
2 Joe Burrow LSU Sr QB 1 6-4 216    
4 Tua Tagovailoa Alabama Jr QB 2 6-1 218    
28 Jacob Eason Washington Jr QB 3 6-6 227    
33 Justin Herbert Oregon Sr QB 4 6-6 237    
55 Jake Fromm Georgia Jr QB 5 6-2 220    
58 Jordan Love Utah St. Jr QB 6 6-4 225    
91 Jalen Hurts Oklahoma Sr QB 7 6-2 218    
Per CBS here, they give him a late 2d round grade.