THE BROWNS BOARD

The 'Who you watching?' 2020 thread.

The Gipper

Trevor Lawrence very well may have been the #1 overall pick in the draft LAST year.....and he certainly would be that this coming draft.  But he is not eligible to enter the league.  But, he will be a year from now.

So....let the Phrase Coinage begin:

Lay Down for Lawrence

Tank for Trevor.

So, lets go there:    Which teams WILL  be Tanking for Trevor? 

LIons?  Jags?  Dolphins?  Chargers?  How about the freeking New England Patriots.....tanking to get the #1 pick!  Or....the fucking Pittsburgh Steelers!! Both of whom would be in need of fresh blood at QB come after next season. 

15 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

You make excellent points.  I agree on Tua......and I agree that if Lawrence were in this draft, he would be hands down #1.   And I predict that Clemson will win....due in great part to him. 

Tua wouldn’t be 2 in next years draft either.

Id put Fields over Tua too 

1 minute ago, tiamat63 said:

Not sure I'd go that far.   Tua has a ways to go, but Fields is quite raw as a passer.  

He’s climbed a mountain in one year when he looked like an athlete playing QB with Georgia.  He was neck and neck with Lawrence coming into college according to rankings.  All he did was go 41 TDS 3 Ints last season first full year. 

He hasnt suffered a major injury and has the size, the arm talent and better athleticism than most QB prospects. 

Granted he Needs to work on his reads year 2 under Ryan Day may accelerate His growth further.

I liked his poise in the pocket and his eyes downfield making throws while under duress.  

3 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

He’s climbed a mountain in one year when he looked like an athlete playing QB with Georgia.  He was neck and neck with Lawrence coming into college according to rankings.  All he did was go 41 TDS 3 Ints last season first full year. 

He hasnt suffered a major injury and has the size, the arm talent and better athleticism than most QB prospects. 

Granted he Needs to work on his reads year 2 under Ryan Day may accelerate His growth further.

I liked his poise in the pocket and his eyes downfield making throws while under duress.  

In order of the bolded.

Those are great physical attributes, but do not necessarily a good QB make.  

- It goes just beyond "reads".   His processing speed, timing, ball placement, pre-and post snap understanding, sliding in the pocket, etc etc ...all need to take that (big) next step

- I believe JF had 12 sacks credited to him this year.  Which was one of the very worst marks in all of college football.    His eyes downfield can be hit or miss.  Just ask Olave'.    

- Fields is a good kid, good head on his shoulders and has all the capability in the world plus a great coaching staff.   He CAN get there.  But as a passer he is below Lawrence and Tua at the moment.     

Also worth noting I have zero belief Lawrence would go #1 this year.  That honor rests solely on the shoulders of Joe Burrow.  (Best pro ready QB since Luck)  If anything, and probably to the dismay of Gipper,  Lawrence needs work as well.  He misfired and misread quite a bit when he played tOSU.   

It almost feels like the "draft Barkley next year!!!" crowd from 2012 or the "fail for Cardale" from 2015.   Funny how that worked out.

Also worth noting I have zero belief Lawrence would go #1 this year.  That honor rests solely on the shoulders of Joe Burrow.  (Best pro ready QB since Luck)  If anything, and probably to the dismay of Gipper,  Lawrence needs work as well.  He misfired and misread quite a bit when he played tOSU.   

It would not be a dismay to me.....it would be a dismay to every single college talent evaluator out there, from Mel Kiper on down .  Joe Burrow could very well go #1  THIS year....but only because Lawrence is not coming out.   Burrow took until after his 5th year as  college performer to be considered that high.   Lawrence has been there since his freshman year. 

6 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

It would not be a dismay to me.....it would be a dismay to every single college talent evaluator out there, from Mel Kiper on down .  Joe Burrow could very well go #1  THIS year....but only because Lawrence is not coming out.   Burrow took until after his 5th year as  college performer to be considered that high.   Lawrence has been there since his freshman year. 

If you're going to talk about evaluators, leave out the guy that had Jimmy Clausen rated higher than Cam Newton. 

Joe Burrow IS going #1 this year, there's no question on that and if you're a betting man I'll be happy to take whatever you're willing to throw out.     Joey was also not a starter until his 4th season, which was at no fault of his own.   He was "beat out" by a kid that would go on to have the single greatest passing season in Big Ten history and become a 1st round pick.  Not too shabby.

Hell, if Lawrence shows some chinks in the armor that he did in the Fiesta Bowl and it carries on into next year, MF might not even go #1 in 2021.

9 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

I’m still not sold on the shelf life of running QB’s in the NFL.

Lawrence is NOT considered a running QB.  Can he run?  Sure.   But is not like he is Lamar Jackson...or Hurts or even Tua...

He can run and run well...But that is not the part of his game he is known for really. 

3 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

If you're going to talk about evaluators, leave out the guy that had Jimmy Clausen rated higher than Cam Newton. 

Which would mean leaving out 98% of evaluators that year. 

Joe Burrow IS going #1 this year, there's no question on that and if you're a betting man I'll be happy to take whatever you're willing to throw out. 

I already have a bet going on that.....and the operative term of your sentence here is "this year".  Lawrence is not available "this year"  ergo, Joe may go #1

Joey was also not a starter until his 4th season, which was at no fault of his own.   He was "beat out" by a kid that would go on to have the single greatest passing season in Big Ten history and become a 1st round pick.  Not too shabby.

Really?  No fault of his own?  I am not sure "fault" should be assessed...but the fact is....he was not deemed good enough by his coaches to start for his first 3 years.  Lawrence has started...and won a national championship in his Freshman year.

Hell, if Lawrence shows some chinks in the armor that he did in the Fiesta Bowl and it carries on into next year, MF might not even go #1 in 2021.

Well....he played a much tougher defense than he likely has ever faced in his career in that game.  Tougher than the one he will face in the next game.   Let's see how he does.  No one is absolutely perfect every game. 

57 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

In order of the bolded.

Those are great physical attributes, but do not necessarily a good QB make.  

- It goes just beyond "reads".   His processing speed, timing, ball placement, pre-and post snap understanding, sliding in the pocket, etc etc ...all need to take that (big) next step

- I believe JF had 12 sacks credited to him this year.  Which was one of the very worst marks in all of college football.    His eyes downfield can be hit or miss.  Just ask Olave'.    

- Fields is a good kid, good head on his shoulders and has all the capability in the world plus a great coaching staff.   He CAN get there.  But as a passer he is below Lawrence and Tua at the moment.     

It almost feels like the "draft Barkley next year!!!" crowd from 2012 or the "fail for Cardale" from 2015.   Funny how that worked out.

And my point was he took a quantum leap in some of these processing time areas you talk about from the Spring game until now.  All while learning a new offense 

These GMs are drafting potential as much as they are drafting current skill set. The fact that he checks off so many boxes besides the box that involves having experience and skills that come with experience well that’s expected for a 20 year old 

He’ll end up in pittspuke and the Browns will have to play against him, Jackson, and Burroughs for the next ten years

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Lawrence is NOT considered a running QB.  Can he run?  Sure.   But is not like he is Lamar Jackson...or Hurts or even Tua...

He can run and run well...But that is not the part of his game he is known for really. 

There's no doubt Lawrence is good. Two potential first overall picks in the upcoming National Championship game....

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Trevor Lawrence very well may have been the #1 overall pick in the draft LAST year.....and he certainly would be that this coming draft.  But he is not eligible to enter the league.  But, he will be a year from now.

So....let the Phrase Coinage begin:

Lay Down for Lawrence

Tank for Trevor.

So, lets go there:    Which teams WILL  be Tanking for Trevor? 

LIons?  Jags?  Dolphins?  Chargers?  How about the freeking New England Patriots.....tanking to get the #1 pick!  Or....the fucking Pittsburgh Steelers!! Both of whom would be in need of fresh blood at QB come after next season. 

Ah, you're forgetting Bungle for Burrow in the 2020 draft.   And Joe IS going to be a Bengal- take it to the bank. (I'll just take it to my wine cellar)  

But regarding the Squealers and Patsies in the 2021 draft- they're not going to be tanking this year. Not when in all likelihood it's going to be Brady's and Ben's last hurrah. They won't have enough draft capital- or player capital to move up to #1.  

Plus- we already saw what happened when the Dolphins tried the Sashi method of tanking- and didn't tank hard enough to guarantee them Burrow.  OK, Mr. "What if" the Dolphins offer the Bengals all three of their first round picks- plus a first next year- even Mike Brown would find a deal like that hard to turn down. But with Tua now in the draft, I can't see that happening...... 

Agree on Burrow over Lawrence were the latter in this year's Draft. The year would not have started that way, but thru the National Semi's I've no doubt about their draft order.

As for next year... why would Lawrence overtake Fields for #1?  Lawrence finished a distant 7th in this year's Heisman voting to Fields' 4th place total.

On 1/3/2020 at 6:33 PM, Dutch Oven said:

WR Quintez Cephus, Wisconsin.

The kid gave Ohio State tons of trouble in the Big Ten Championship. 

Just watching some highlights on him on ESPN 6' 1". 207 and tough, strong with good ball skills.  Just one to watch.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, hoorta said:

There's no doubt Lawrence is good. Two potential first overall picks in the upcoming National Championship game....

Ah, you're forgetting Bungle for Burrow in the 2020 draft.   And Joe IS going to be a Bengal- take it to the bank. (I'll just take it to my wine cellar)  

But regarding the Squealers and Patsies in the 2021 draft- they're not going to be tanking this year. Not when in all likelihood it's going to be Brady's and Ben's last hurrah. They won't have enough draft capital- or player capital to move up to #1.  

Plus- we already saw what happened when the Dolphins tried the Sashi method of tanking- and didn't tank hard enough to guarantee them Burrow.  OK, Mr. "What if" the Dolphins offer the Bengals all three of their first round picks- plus a first next year- even Mike Brown would find a deal like that hard to turn down. But with Tua now in the draft, I can't see that happening...... 

I seriously doubt Ben will be anything like he was before he got injured.. In fact.. I expect him to become a turnover machine...

1 hour ago, Browns149 said:

He’ll end up in pittspuke and the Browns will have to play against him, Jackson, and Burroughs for the next ten years

And Big Ben who like Brady may never retire throw in Mayfield and you already have a quarterback conference even without Lawrence.

Pittsburgh will be looking quarterback that's for sure. 

21 minutes ago, Kvoethe said:

Tua...aka..hip boy.  He would worry me in the draft..

From drafteck..... A good quarterback class?  Maybe top heavy but potential later on?

Screenshot_2020-01-06_221007.jpg

Screenshot_2020-01-06_221319.jpg

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

Not forgetting it....we are just talking 2021, not this year.   And we shall see. And don't count your guzzles before they hatch.  You may just be swallowing air and then having only a loud belch to show for it!!:excl:

No, not likely.....but it is fun to speculate about the possibility of that happening...those team having the leagues worst record (which, in their respective histories, they have actually accomplished a number of times)

Intriguing.  But I don't think the Dolphins would.   They can get a QB....or just roll with Rosen,   and they can fill a lot of needs with those 3 first rounders.....you know, like the Browns did with the Garrett, Peppers, and Njoku picks all in the same first round. :wacko:

10 hours ago, mjp28 said:

From drafteck..... A good quarterback class?  Maybe top heavy but potential later on?

Some of those Juniors listed have not declared for the draft, so I'm not sure why drafttek is even listing them.