THE BROWNS BOARD

The 'Who you watching?' 2020 thread.

The Gipper

32 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

He was actually 20 yards off the ball playing free safety on his INT against OSU Saturday night. He Read Fields like a book and broke like wild man on the ball.

I agree I bring him on the edge more than I have him playing center field at the next level.  He could be a versatile weapon though. 

He was assigned to robber and that look was specifically setup to take that pass.  A great call by Venables'.   Half the people typing on this board could have picked that off, and that isn't hyperbole either.  Fields took the snap and NEVER looked it off.     He's a great athlete, with great sideline to sideline speed, but as his body fills out, his premium will be more of a backer role.   Check out Tampa Bay this year with Devin White.  Very similar.

@ 8:47    This isn't Earl Thomas we're talking about.  This is a call the whole way.   Either you get a Peyton Manning type throw to the dead zone, or 95% of college QB's throw a pick.       It's a big reason why I think Joe Burrow shreds Clemson in a couple weeks - he's probably the only QB in college right now to consistent make that throw on time and in place.

Simmons is listed at 6'4 230.  That's Kam Chancellor type size.  But I don't see him as that type of enforcer.    He could be what some people though Taylor Mays would have been though.  But he has a long way to go hitting downhill to earn that title.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I would keep an eye on the Clemson - LSU game to see the two safeties from each team, Simmons and Delpit. I've seen more of Delpit and he is a hitter/sure tackler with CB speed/abilities. I like him because he is always around the ball. The OT's may be gone by then and I think he may still be there as BPA in a need position for the Browns.

I agree with everything you say.

18 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

For starters I do not see Tua falling far at all. Every report was that the surgery went well so I expect he'll be medically cleared by most teams.

So for me the question becomes, "How many 'can't pass' players are there in this draft?" At first take starting with Burrow that looks like 8-10 to me, so those in front of us are less likely to trade back due to FOMO.

We could be the first team to seriously entertain offers.

And apparently there is a third OT starting to make some top ten noise... at least according to PFF... BAMA's OT Jedrick Wills...

"Wills has been a rocketship up draft boards this season — and for good reason. Wills improved by leaps and bounds, even as the season went along. He allowed 11 pressures all season but only one in his last five games."

I disagree with this statement. The injury Tua suffered is absolutely no joke. I'm an athletic trainer and I work with orthopedic surgeons on a daily basis. Every single one of them have said they wouldn't touch him if they were in charge of the medicals for their team. This injury is serious not just if he gets cleared early. It's the next 5 years. They essentially had to rebuild his acetabular socket with plates and screws. People may say he will recover just fine, but I will have to see it to believe it. IMOP, he's overrated anyway, but that is just my opinion before he got hurt.

Just now, Bigalow80 said:

I disagree with this statement. The injury Tua suffered is absolutely no joke. I'm an athletic trainer and I work with orthopedic surgeons on a daily basis. Every single one of them have said they wouldn't touch him if they were in charge of the medicals for their team. This injury is serious not just if he gets cleared early. It's the next 5 years. They essentially had to rebuild his acetabular socket with plates and screws. People may say he will recover just fine, but I will have to see it to believe it. IMOP, he's overrated anyway, but that is just my opinion before he got hurt.

I agree with everything you say.

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

He isn't fluid enough to play safety full time.   Tweener in every sense of the word but that works in the modern NFL.   He's an off-ball WILL backer.   See, run, get.  

As for my comments on Jedrick Willis above - I wrapped up watching Bama vs SCar last night.    I honestly don't know how I feel about the kid now.    Be curious to see how he measures out at the combine. Specifically - his wingspan/arm length.

sounds true - having a lb who can cover like a safety is priceless. And he can tackle excellently. I like the kid.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

sounds true - having a lb who can cover like a safety is priceless. And he can tackle excellently. I like the kid.

We could certainly use his tackling, pass coverage skills and ability/skill set to blitz.  

We need all three on defense.

I like Malik Harrison too.  Very productive and more of the thumper type LB that we don’t have.  He might be good mid round pick.  
Depending on our next scheme Zack Baun Wisconsin too edge player.  Another mid round guy that I think will be good at the next level 

8 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

We could certainly use his tackling, pass coverage skills and ability/skill set to blitz.  

We need all three on defense.

I like Malik Harrison too.  Very productive and more of the thumper type LB that we don’t have.  He might be good mid round pick.  
Depending on our next scheme Zack Baun Wisconsin too edge player.  Another mid round guy that I think will be good at the next level 

You've mentioned three LBs for the upcoming draft, and I'm all for it, because there isn't a LB on the roster (assuming Schobert is allowed to walk) that I think should keep the Browns from drafting a LB to try and replace. 

• Upvote 1

No explanation needed. The draft seems so far away and I actually have the time to invest in tape this year. 

First on deck is a bigger bodied kid who flashed a couple times in the Sugar Bowl.  Late rounder who might slowly work his way up.  Not a huge fan on how Baylor uses him, he isn't that mammoth 0, 2gapping nose.  I see a plus sized,1 gap plugger (where he flashed) who becomes invaluable in rotation.   Still needs work but I see the tools.  This team needs DI's to help limit the running game. I'm starting here.

I watch a lot of Big Ten games throughout the year.
Nico Collins WR Michigan.  Been on the radar since OSU-UM game 2018.  6-4” played boundary and slot performed through shaky QB play. Makes tough catches and looks like he’s a good athlete despite 6-4 220 frame.  

Malik Harrison LB OSU not the typical highly rated OSU recruit Cbus kid.  But developed the last two years.  Instinctive. Not a great athlete but makes plays behind the line of scrimmage and in coverage.  Played the role of eraser especially last season making up for assignment mistakes of fellow players. Later round steal. 

Zack Baun Edge Wisconsin.  Perhaps TJ Watt Part 2.  Complete player.  Find a place for him no matter the scheme.  He’s probably going first round especially if he tests well

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

No explanation needed. The draft seems so far away and I actually have the time to invest in tape this year. 

First on deck is a bigger bodied kid who flashed a couple times in the Sugar Bowl.  Late rounder who might slowly work his way up.  Not a huge fan on how Baylor uses him, he isn't that mammoth 0, 2gapping nose.  I see a plus sized,1 gap plugger (where he flashed) who becomes invaluable in rotation.   Still needs work but I see the tools.  This team needs DI's to help limit the running game. I'm starting here.

It looks like he has good hands and punch.  

At 1:00 minute he was single blocked put on roller skates and taken out the play on the TD.  And then next play he blows up a double team with great quickness and then Runs over a back.  

8 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

And then next play he blows up a double team with great quickness and then Runs over a back.  

Double teaming this tank was the best move Kirby Smart did in Georgia game also.took about under 1 quarter. Kid's motor never stalled though. Honestly. even with both starting Georgia tackles sitting & doubling #99..Georgia's TE's RB's OL blocked anything that moved... Edit- I also like your thought of finding a tall redzone target WR3.. Including myself, it went as a madding miss all season 

Alex Taylor, OT, South Carolina. Would be around 4th/5th round gem ?

or, if he wows scouts at the Senior Bowl and combine... creeps into the late third round?

He's 6'9", 310 lbs. But he moves amazingly well - and is powerful.

Doesn't fit the "he's six-nine, has trouble with leverage, and quickness" mold.

He's a terrific kid, too.

Can't wait to see him play in the Senior Bowl, Sat. Jan 25th.

https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2019/08/alex-taylor/

Diamond Talk: Alex Taylor, OT, South Carolina State University | An Athletic Monster of a Man

Keeping a complete open mind, so thanks for the suggestions.   I would have liked to have seen either Chase Young or Jeff Okudah, a couple of Buckeyes (because that is really the only team I have "kept my eye on"   this college football season)   but neither of them will be there at  10.  

If Okudah, for some reason,  dropped to #10...it would be manna from heaven. 

There are a couple of safeties perhaps in the mix:  Delpit of LSU, and  Simmons of Clemson

For  DL:   Derrick Brown Auburn? 

And how about this name:      Lamar Jackson      DB Nebraska...for 2d round pick.

What am i seriously missing on this Delpit safety from LSU?...

I continue to see McKinney from Bama out play this kid, weekly..

Even re-watched the Sooner game and the guy Delpit seemed to shy away from contact all game long..

this browns defensive team seriously misses some angry, crazed. jacked up, lumber layers...and am still looking👀 

39 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

I continue to see McKinney from Bama out play this kid, weekly..

Even re-watched the Sooner game and the guy Delpit seemed to shy away from contact all game long..

this browns defensive team seriously misses some angry, crazed. jacked up, lumber layers...and am still looking👀 

I don't know....I was only going by scouting reports, not by my watching of the games.  I do hear that McKinny may be moving up.  Also, this other CB from Ohio State, Shaun Wade.

23 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

WR Quintez Cephus, Wisconsin.

The kid gave Ohio State tons of trouble in the Big Ten Championship. 

Yep him too.  But Has he declared?

i mentioned yesterday I believe He has some Landry in him- competitor makes the tough catches looks like a good route runner.

5 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I don't know....I was only going by scouting reports, not by my watching of the games.  I do hear that McKinny may be moving up.  Also, this other CB from Ohio State, Shaun Wade.

Wade will announce tomorrow and there are a few insiders that believe he will stay. 

3 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Yep him too.  But Has he declared?

i mentioned yesterday I believe He has some Landry in him- competitor makes the tough catches looks like a good route runner.

Ah, he's a junior, not a senior. I guess I'll have to wait and see if he declares.

Correct me if am wrong? but This draft seems heavy on depth at WR/IDL/OT/QB/DE & maybe CB...LB'er & any Safety F or S maybe a reach?

I'll place this here for FA picture, but it's way to early, but some may see a rise in $tock because of it..

https://cleveland.com/sports/2020/01/nfl-free-agents-2020-top-50-players-to-watch-potential-fits-for-the-browns.html    

• Thanks 1

Since DT is not our highest priority here is the obligatory Aggie for round 3 or 4. Anchor of the defensive team did not play in the Teas Bowl (declared early and passed) was a RS Jr. this year. Rated by most services in the low 70's overall draft pick is Justin Madubuike primarily a  3-tec DT. Originally recruited as a very fast ILB added 50 lbs and moved to DT where he had 11 sacks his two starting years.

https://www.drafttek.com/2020-NFL-Draft-Position-Rankings/Top-College-Defensive-Tackles-2020-NFL-Draft.asp

One thing I like to think about with draft is where there will be a “glut” of talent at a position that simply won’t get drafted where they should.

this year to me is WR. The three dudes from Alabama could all easily be 1st round picks. Jefferson from LSU is a monster. Perhaps someone like Tee Higgins could slip and easily has a first round grade. The WR core at USC is also exceptional. I think there’s gonna be a steal in the 3rd round or so, and we have a hole in the 3rd/4th WR slot.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

One thing I like to think about with draft is where there will be a “glut” of talent at a position that simply won’t get drafted where they should.

this year to me is WR. The three dudes from Alabama could all easily be 1st round picks. Jefferson from LSU is a monster. Perhaps someone like Tee Higgins could slip and easily has a first round grade. The WR core at USC is also exceptional. I think there’s gonna be a steal in the 3rd round or so, and we have a hole in the 3rd/4th WR slot.

And let's be honest, how long do we see both Landry and OBJ staying on the roster, especially considering how much money they both make and the big contracts coming up for guys still on their rookie deals? 

In today's football, you are only a season away from a strength position turning into a depleted position. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

And let's be honest, how long do we see both Landry and OBJ staying on the roster, especially considering how much money they both make and the big contracts coming up for guys still on their rookie deals? 

In today's football, you are only a season away from a strength position turning into a depleted position. 

Dutch, you hit the nail on the head!

Mike

2 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

Yep enter guys like Nico Collins and Quintez Cephus.  

On 1/3/2020 at 9:37 AM, SdBacker80 said:

I watch a lot of Big Ten games throughout the year.
Nico Collins WR Michigan.  Been on the radar since OSU-UM game 2018.  6-4” played boundary and slot performed through shaky QB play. Makes tough catches and looks like he’s a good athlete despite 6-4 220 frame.  

Malik Harrison LB OSU not the typical highly rated OSU recruit Cbus kid.  But developed the last two years.  Instinctive. Not a great athlete but makes plays behind the line of scrimmage and in coverage.  Played the role of eraser especially last season making up for assignment mistakes of fellow players. Later round steal. 

Zack Baun Edge Wisconsin.  Perhaps TJ Watt Part 2.  Complete player.  Find a place for him no matter the scheme.  He’s probably going first round especially if he tests well

All 3 fine players.   Nico obviously drew my (very drunk) attention when he was catching contested passes over a quality Buckeye secondary.

Malik sadly spent a good portion of his career being coached by Bill Davis.   Probably one of the worst position coaches in football.  I still have no idea how that man has a job.   But I like where your head is at here.  

As for Baun, I can't really say I've paid much attention.   But Jimmy Leonard is a heck of coordinator and possible future head coach, so anybody on his defensive is going to be the type of player you want on your team.

22 hours ago, gumby73 said:

I've wondered the same.  I remember tuning in a couple times last year and seeing him jump off screen.  Haven't seen that same type of play when I've had the chance to watch him in 2019.