THE BROWNS BOARD

The 'Who you watching?' 2020 thread.

The Gipper

53 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Reed has been my emergency Safety since I started working the Draft sims. Agree on the starter potential, although I've pictured him in the SS role. Tough, kid...

Never have warmed to Winfield tho... hung up on his height I think.

Took to Cal's Ashtyn Davis right away as my FS... and have since added SIU's Chin to my wish list. Chin's risen past Davis in some of the rankings I see often.

I like Winfield's processing over Davis'.... so far.        Obviously being 5'9 isn't great, but Earl Thomas is 5'10.   

18 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

I'm not sure what the bolded means?  JT is weeks late to my assessment of Wirfs and he arrived at the same conclusion I did.   You're welcome to scan back on this thread and check.

And I've seen what you're referring to with Andrew Thomas (the hand placement).  He's my #1 OT and what I like about his hands, while not always so much the placement, is the reach and impact on his strike.  I don't think his feet are JT type elite, and I don't think they ever will be.    But his feet, his hips and such will be adequate enough to fill the position nicely.  It's his strike that he compensates with to slow down edge rushers.  He times it well without losing his base and staying in sync.    Yes, there are times he leans at it a little or doesn't land as clean as a good coach would ask, but the raw tools are there and displayed...  just not on an every down basis.

At ease. You're one of the last guys that needs to prove yourself to me.  Ain't that the truth - is an expression that means we agree.  Once upon a time, you and I didn't have good discussions when we disagreed.  Today, that couldn't be further from the truth.  For example, good stuff about where you are coming from on Murray.  As for Simmons, I don't know where he will end up playing. He plays defense with his eyes and instincts to have me seeing an ideal career ahead.  In just 3 years - he had 19 pass break-ups and 4 INTs.  In 2019, he had 102 tackles (16 for a loss) and 8 sacks to go with what he did in pass/zone coverage.  In today's game, the levers of a 6'4" OLBer with instincts, speed, and vision aren't a bad thing to offer a defense; especially one in need of 2 brand new starters at OLBer.  He can get to the QB or get his hands on the ball in coverage.

And Andrew Thomas is also my #1 LT as depicted in my LT Faves thread. IMO he does everything he's been taught extremely well including his biggest flaw in pass pro that his 1st NFL OL Coach will have to de-program.  Voch Lombardi isolated this on the video I showed beginning with Thomas sticking his chest out before striking with his hands.  He further explained the reason he thought that was being taught is he showed the RT doing the exact same thing on another pass play.  Even our prospect faves will have things to work on/correct/de-program at the next level.  I'm getting closer to finalizing LT faves.  My movin on ups are Wills and Jones. 

32 minutes ago, Flugel said:

At ease. You're one of the last guys that needs to prove yourself to me.  Ain't that the truth - is an expression that means we agree.  Once upon a time, you and I didn't have good discussions when we disagreed.  Today, that couldn't be further from the truth.  For example, good stuff about where you are coming from on Murray.  As for Simmons, I don't know where he will end up playing; but he plays defense with his eyes and instincts to have me seeing an ideal career ahead.  In just 3 years - he had 19 pass break-ups and 4 INTs.  In 2019, he had 102 tackles (16 for a loss) and 8 sacks to go with what he did in pass/zone coverage.   I'm surprised this guy has a lot of critics that think he'll just wake up a horrible football player in 2020.

And Andrew Thomas is also my #1 LT as depicted in my LT Faves thread. IMO he does everything he's been taught extremely well including his biggest flaw in pass pro that his 1st NFL OL Coach will have to de-program.  Voch Lombardi isolated this on the video I showed beginning with Thomas sticking his chest out before striking with his hands.  He further explained the reason he thought that was being taught is he showed the RT doing the exact same thing on another pass play.  Even our prospect faves will have things to work on/correct/de-program at the next level.  I'm getting closer to finalizing LT faves.  My movin on ups are Wills and Jones. 

So what you're saying is - we're same same.

Outside, different faces.  Inside, same same.

54 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

I will apologize to you guys in advance if I'm a bigger asshole than usual.  Things are wonky right now, and everybody is just trying to get by.

You're fine - don't worry about it!   I agree these are scary times so this is a nice place for us to escape some of that. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Flugel said:

Once upon a time, you and I didn't have good discussions when we disagreed. 

Something that could never be said of us... ;)

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

I will apologize to you guys in advance if I'm a bigger asshole than usual.

A wise man once told me never apologize for the impossible. :)

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Being hit by a dude that's 5'9 210 is like being hit by a bowling ball.  Believe me, it sucks.

Physics will tell you it's no different than being hit by a 6'1, 210 guy.

My getting hung up on height is not a given. I'm good so long as the prospect's vertical and/or arm length compensate, but a 36" vert and 30-1/8" arm-length don't.

But there's another problem...

By most accounts Winfield is a round 2 kid and I don't see him coming out of the cluster of players I have at Pick 41. First there are the R1 "refugees", those that get pushed out  of the round. Then there are the top R2 grades... a group that now includes Chin.

Then there's the matter of the relative value of Davis in the 3rd. ;)

3 hours ago, Flugel said:

Voch Lombardi isolated this on the video I showed beginning with Thomas sticking his chest out before striking with his hands. 

That's evidence of drawing the arms back before firing them at the target. Try it at your keyboard with hands low and arms close to your sides. I know I can't draw the arms back without my chest moving forward.

Of course the problem with drawing back is time.. same as it is for a QB with an elongated "wind up". The longer it takes to deliver the blow, the longer the opponent has to see it coming. This would be akin to "telegraphing a punch" in boxing.

I doubt it was coached in... more likely that the strength of the blow was over-emphasized and either the UGA OL Coach did not see how the added power was being generated or was happy with the trade-off.

I'd be lying if I said I saw it in the tape, but agree it's not a concern. Nothing time and repetition through a full camp can't fix... or some time inside the ropes...

17 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

My getting hung up on height is not a given. I'm good so long as the prospect's vertical and/or arm length compensate, but a 36" vert and 30-1/8" arm-length don't.

But there's another problem...

By most accounts Winfield is a round 2 kid and I don't see him coming out of the cluster of players I have at Pick 41. First there are the R1 "refugees", those that get pushed out  of the round. Then there are the top R2 grades... a group that now includes Chin.

Then there's the matter of the relative value of Davis in the 3rd. ;)

Well....I went by "most accounts"  by the experts....and not by your account.   Though, actually, I did consider  Davis  (Cal)  who in our draft  went #43 at the top of the 2d round...and who CBS and others had right about there.   

If the Browns actually took Davis with #41.....it could very well be a good pick. 

10 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Well....I went by "most accounts"  by the experts....and not by your account.

So you're admitting that you fucked up?

3 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

So you're admitting that you fucked up?

Quite the opposite.     But, I will let you have your fun.

When the BB draft is over,   you can give your fair assessment of how each team has done.  Give them a grade if you will.  All 32. 

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Something that could never be said of us... ;)

A wise man once told me never apologize for the impossible. :)

And a wise man once said that "forgiveness is divine but never pay full price for late pizza". 

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

;)

Yeah, but I feel confident in being able to lower my strike zone on a guy that''s 6'1, minimizing surface area and contact space.    A guy that's 5'8, 5'9? Not so much.

In short, I would rather be playing at full speed and deal with taking on Harrison Smith over Bob Sanders.

edit:  I may be the conductor on the Chinn train, but I'm not sure how comfortable I feel taking him high 2nd round.

Anthony McFarland RB Maryland worth a look on Day 3.  4.44 speed.  Had 298 yards against OSU in 2018- 7.9 yards per carry that year.  He dealt with a high ankle sprain all of 2019.  So his value is going to be depressed a bit but the guy can fly.  Possible Hunt replacement in 2021.  

17 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Hey... at least I tinted my reply...

Draft is moving along nicely.

I'll certainly call out the drafts I like.

🤣 Classic stuff!  

Something tells me he wants a little more Eddie Haskell from you along the lines of...  "That's a GREAT pick Mr Cleaver.  Your draft looks very nice today!"   What he doesn't want to hear is.. "And by the way, I just broke your all your basement windows..."

19 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I'd be lying if I said I saw it in the tape, but agree it's not a concern. Nothing time and repetition through a full camp can't fix... or some time inside the ropes...

Precisely!   He's still my fave... 

Isn't it nice when people like us adhere to a subject heading as far out as page 15 without getting off topic and arguing about something else for the next 10 pages?  It sure would be nice if the OP of this thread extended such a courtesy back to others...

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

🤣 Classic stuff!  Something tells me he wants a little more Eddie Haskell from you along the lines of...  "That's a GREAT pick Mr Cleaver.  Your draft looks very nice today!" 

"Hi ya, Squirt."

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

Isn't it nice when people like us adhere to a subject heading as far out as page 15 without getting off topic and arguing about something else for the next 10 pages?

And what exactly are you insinuating by that?!?!?!?

24 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

"Hi ya, Squirt."

And what exactly are you insinuating by that?!?!?!?

I'm talking about Gips.  He gets pissed off when people don't stick to his subject headings and then he hi-jacks other people's threads and gets in 10 page arguments with people on something that has nothing to do with the subject heading he invaded.

If it only happened once or twice, it wouldn't be an issue but he does it all the time to people.