THE BROWNS BOARD

The 'Who you watching?' 2020 thread.

The Gipper

28 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

The meme does say “only intellectuals will get it.” Oooh burnnn...

How about it's so easy even a dimwit will get it?

going-off-topic-banner.png

I can get Fromm's case to go Day 1 more than I can Herbert's. The latter makes more WTF? throws than any "top prospect" in recent memory.

27 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I can get Fromm's case to go Day 1 more than I can Herbert's. The latter makes more WTF? throws than any "top prospect" in recent memory.

You wonder how this year's QB class compares with the recent classes of ready to go step in starters......or still the apparent gold standard of 1983?

They new kids on the block seen to be great RPO well trained ready to go players similar to the more recent RBs and WRs.

Even with the newer "soft" rules on the skill players you wonder if this new crop of run/pass quarterbacks will make it 10+ years?  Maybe 5+?

42 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

You wonder how this year's QB class compares with the recent classes of ready to go step in starters......or still the apparent gold standard of 1983?

They new kids on the block seen to be great RPO well trained ready to go players similar to the more recent RBs and WRs.

Even with the newer "soft" rules on the skill players you wonder if this new crop of run/pass quarterbacks will make it 10+ years?  Maybe 5+?

Good question and good insight. I feel like we’ve been chomping at the bit for the multi-dimensional QB superstar since Michael Vick. He was the first guy l recall who was going to transform the NFL with his arm and his legs.

But l think the “effectiveness to shelf life” ratio wasn’t there, nor was it for RG3. But what about Cam Newton? And Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson?

Michael Vick was drafted 20 years ago, but it planted a seed. We could very well be on the dawn of it, where the superstar do it all QB becomes a thing in the pro game, but how long do they last and how many are behind them to replace them?

4 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

... and how many are behind them to replace them?

Plus how many accomplished, conventional, pocket passers will there be to choose from?

The RPO is so much easier to teach at every position that it's dominant at every level except the NFL.

12 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I coulda sworn a year or 2 ago Fromm was considered the next big thing at QB.

Does anyone else think it’s funny that there’s a Tua and a Fromm in this years’ QB draft class?

I hadn't noticed. LOL

16 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Plus how many accomplished, conventional, pocket passers will there be to choose from?

The RPO is so much easier to teach at every position that it's dominant at every level except the NFL.

Similar to the old wishbone, flexbone and triple option offenses which teams like NAVY, AF and really very few others run well today.

Your quarterback is the key and it's really hard to prepare for it you don't see many or any on your schedule.

The only problem is that your quarterback takes a beating and if he goes out you need a good backup or your offense must go to plan B, quick.

You might get by with it in college -but-  in the pros everyone is bigger, faster, stronger and hit harder and it's just a matter of time before your QB is in the medical tent.

That's why the pros prefer the quick drop back quick release quarterbacks that can do everything......if you can find one, the franchise QBs.

Evening, friends.  It's Dry-Uary for myself and I have to be up tomorrow to meet family,  so I'll be spending the weekend with the classic R&R, putting on some music and watching tape.   Going to circle back around to Bravvion Roy, DI, Texas tonight.        Feel free to tag along.

Roy vs Texas

Love this kids eyes when he's on a block.   He looks good playing a shade, better than a classic heads up nose IMHO.  He also has a strong base but light feet as a big man.  Looks to use his arms when firing into initial contact as opposed to most guys that size who just go banging around down low body contact first.  (Another kid with quick feet who couldn't put it together was Xavier Cooper)   Bravvion doesn't look to have those eyes, hands, feet sync issue.      

I also like that his feet don't stop moving as he is working through blockers and crashing down the line.   When he's singled up on the center he won quite a bit and at worst would continuously control his man, then look to disengage and secure a tackle.  

I'm all about the bigger body interior pluggers mid to late round.  So far, between the Oklahoma, WVU and Texas tape, Roy continues to have me hoping that the Browns keep an eye on his draft stock, combine performance, etc etc.     There is nothing sexy about his game, it's just nasty, down low, trenches type football.   This Dline could use a good deal of that on quality rotation up the middle.  

Putting a bookmark on Bravvion until more cutups are available or I can budget more hours to go through and time stamp whole games.   Keeping with a theme on the line play though and looking at a kid I've seen mocked to the Brownies in a few spots.   Although I've seen he hasn't declared yet.  Still -  Tristan Wirfs, RT for Iowa.

I watched all the way through twice with no stops and took mental notes before I put pencil to paper.  First thought based on this game alone... Man, was I really underwhelmed by his pass pro. 

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

I watched all the way through twice with no stops and took mental notes before I put pencil to paper.  First thought based on this game alone... Man, was I really underwhelmed by his pass pro.

Oh shit... cause so far I'm coming away with the same impression of the other LT "stud" in this draft... UGA's Andrew Thomas... actually reminded me of Robinson... 😮

I'm liking the pursuing of Colts' UFA, LT, Anthony Costonzo, more and more. He ain't great and we'd have to overpay, but he's very good and dependable. In 9 seasons he's missed 12 games total.

10 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Putting a bookmark on Bravvion until more cutups are available or I can budget more hours to go through and time stamp whole games.   Keeping with a theme on the line play though and looking at a kid I've seen mocked to the Brownies in a few spots.   Although I've seen he hasn't declared yet.  Still -  Tristan Wirfs, RT for Iowa.

That’s not good as Wisconsin DE (Baun) who we need to look at is an AFC North type Edge rusher. In the Mold of a Watt/Dupree.  
Michigan, USC would be other film that would be interesting.

Come to think of it Penn state too.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Oh shit... cause so far I'm coming away with the same impression of the other LT "stud" in this draft... UGA's Andrew Thomas... actually reminded me of Robinson... 😮

I'm liking the pursuing of Colts' UFA, LT, Anthony Costonzo, more and more. He ain't great and we'd have to overpay, but he's very good and dependable. In 9 seasons he's missed 12 games total.

There was a rumor that Costonzo could retire. He’d be ideal though with a day 1 or day 2 pick serving as an apprentice 

8 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

It's one game and one I played through at full speed. That's pure gut reaction. I'm open and willing to be wrong while watching more games and slowing down individual plays. 

3 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

It's one game and one I played through at full speed. That's pure gut reaction. I'm open and willing to be wrong while watching more games and slowing down individual plays. 

I'm willing for you to be wrong, too... ;)

• Haha 1

I suppose the correct phrasing should have been 'I want to be wrong'.   When it comes to some of their favorite players or ones that catch their eyes, a lot of people who love football simply can't admit the flaws in the players they admire or attempt to 'overproject' their abilities.   A concept I find to be incredibly stupid.  Watching tape first starts with these important things - An open mind, a good eye, and a great deal of self honesty in what you see.

vs Wisky Iowa used a ton of 22 and 12 sets. Wirfs had a great deal of help.   He had a lot less help this go around and, kind of looked a little better here and there. But there are times where he doesn't gather himself when landing his first punch, more to the point, his first punch isn't great and that might be because his arm length is subpar for the position?  I also noticed his eyes, and feet aren't always in sync because when he gets bull rushed, his anchoring at first can be pretty poor from time to time.  He tends to recover, but a lot of that is mostly because he's just the naturally larger human being.  Doesn't always work like that in the NFL.   Another thing that showed up in the Wis tape was him having a tendency to dip his head when working to land first contact on an edge.  Eyes up, youngblood.   His kick step needs work and there are some timestamps that have me wondering how he'll hold up against speed, but his feet look light and fast enough to at least have development potential.

I remember watching Brandon Schreff when he was a tackle for Iowa - now with the Redskins.   I didn't see the huge hype on him being a top 10 blindside protector.  Honestly, I'm pretty sure I remember saying I came away unimpressed and felt he would have* to move inside in order to have sustained success at the next level.   @Tour2ma may have said the same?  Back me up on this should you care to revisit your notes of if you run a search on here for that thread.

I don't see Schreff like liability in pass pro, not that I'm thrilled with what the tape has shown so far either.  I would say where I'm most disappointed was hearing about this kid being a Nelson type mauler...  THAT is something I just haven't seen at all yet. 

vs Minnesota will be next on deck for Wirfs and my watching.

42 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Oh like you never wanted to wear chaps too. Come on.

Maybe,  When I was a boy and wanted to play cowboy,  not as a grown man as some gay sex game. Which is what it seems like you two are doing.

(I am just busting your chops.  All in fun. I don't really think that you and Tour want to dress up to play gay sex games.  I know that you would never want to go along with his fantasies)

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2020/01/13/east-west-shrine-bowl-prospect-preview-offensive-tackles/

it's actually a deep class of offensive tackles....

Jake Benzinger, 6-7, 300 pounds, Wake Forest

Cameron Clark, 6-5, 300 pounds, Charlotte

Jack Driscoll, 6-5, 300 pounds, Auburn

Yasir Durant, 6-7, 330 pounds, Missouri

Julian Good-Jones, 6-5, 296 pounds, Iowa State

Charlie Heck, 6-8, 310 pounds, North Carolina

Jared Hilbers, 6-7, 305 pounds, Washington

Evin Ksiezarcyk, 6-6, 315 pounds, Buffalo

Kyle Murphy, 6-4, 312 pounds, Rhode Island

Carter O’Donnell, 6-6, 315 pounds, Alberta

Darrin Paulo, 6-5, 318 pounds, Utah

and don't forget my third round pick. so far, in my mock draft.

https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2019/09/marcus-norman/

Drew Richmond, 6-5, 316 pounds, USC

Jon Runyan, 6-5, 310 pounds, Michigan

Calvin Throckmorton, 6-5, 318 pounds, Oregon

Matt Womack, 6-7, 325 pounds, Alabama

Most of them later round picks, or UDFA

7 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2020/01/13/east-west-shrine-bowl-prospect-preview-offensive-tackles/

it's actually a deep class of offensive tackles....

Jake Benzinger, 6-7, 300 pounds, Wake Forest

Cameron Clark, 6-5, 300 pounds, Charlotte

Jack Driscoll, 6-5, 300 pounds, Auburn

Yasir Durant, 6-7, 330 pounds, Missouri......

Most of them later round picks, or UDFA

Or USDA Prime...... Holy smokes a herd of 6' 7". 300+ guys, wouldn't want to feed that bunch.  I remember watching an interview with OL Joe Thomas on his routines to stay in top shape and diets with 8,000 (+/-) calories a day and a lot of weights.

This draft looks loaded in many areas plus these kids are NFL ready in size, shape and coaching.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Maybe,  When I was a boy and wanted to play cowboy,  not as a grown man as some gay sex game. Which is what it seems like you two are doing.

(I am just busting your chops.  All in fun. I don't really think that you and Tour want to dress up to play gay sex games.  I know that you would never want to go along with his fantasies)

What’s this shit in parentheses? It’s like a proper bitch slap followed by an “excuse me sir.”

And perfectly straight people fantasize about wearing chaps. And maybe socks. Analytics proves this.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1