THE BROWNS BOARD

Structure

The Gipper

22 minutes ago, nickers said:

Well that's the Combo I want to see... Wolf/McCarthy.

in above presser.. imho,  that did not sound well for the Wolf side of things

• Thanks 1

I said it awhile back, but I'll mention his name again. Keep an eye on Andrew Berry. Depo and the Haslams loved him and the biggest reason he left was because of Dorsey. He's young, smart as hell and knows this organization inside and out. Plus, Haslam said he would be coming from "outside" the organization. Berry currently works for the eagles. Haslam saying the GM would have final say over the 53 is the only way they can legally pull him away. 

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2019/12/31/21044761/nfl-rumors-browns-john-dorsey-general-manager-andrew-berry-eagles-paul-depodesta-news-jimmy-haslam

1 minute ago, Bigalow80 said:

I said it awhile back, but I'll mention his name again. Keep an eye on Andrew Berry. Depo and the Haslams loved him and the biggest reason he left was because of Dorsey. He's young, smart as hell and knows this organization inside and out. Plus, Haslam said he would be coming from "outside" the organization. Berry currently works for the eagles. Haslam saying the GM would have final say over the 53 is the only way they can legally pull him away. 

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2019/12/31/21044761/nfl-rumors-browns-john-dorsey-general-manager-andrew-berry-eagles-paul-depodesta-news-jimmy-haslam

I read that to about the final say on the roster do you believe that widdle downs coaching candidates 

It does sound like they want the structure of the organization to go through them:   Jimmy and Dee. 

They want  the HC and the GM  to be distinct, separate but equal entitities...both answerable to them.  

But haven't we seen this shit show before?    Who was it that were the "equals".....Hue and Sashi?   Or was it Pettine and Farmer?  

Whatever, it was suck ass.

Can we Petition the NFL for their version of the Stepien Rule......You know, where the management of the team is taken out of the hands of the Owners?

(It really has not gotten that bad as it was with Stepien....it just seems like it.)

For those unfamiliar with the Stepien Rule...in the NBA.....here you go:

https://basketball.realgm.com/article/249279/CBA-Encyclopedia-Stepien-Rule

In answering a question about analytics, Jimmy Haslam explained it’s about collecting data. And he used an analogy about sales at Pilot Flying J stores. That’s all I got. #Browns

16 minutes ago, ATOM said:

In answering a question about analytics, Jimmy Haslam explained it’s about collecting data. And he used an analogy about sales at Pilot Flying J stores. That’s all I got. #Browns

So Haslam used analytics to rip off truckers? 

12 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Oh heavens no!    He didn't know anything about that!   Him and the janitor, they both had no clue.

Structure.   Well hasn't Haslam tried every combination of structure by now?   He's gotta start doubling back on them so we're headed back to HC & GM of equal power, both with a key to Haslam's office.  

And the part about the GM having authority over the 53 tells me that McDaniels will once again be removing his name from the hat.

2 minutes ago, Orion said:

Oh heavens no!    He didn't know anything about that!   Him and the janitor, they both had no clue.

Structure.   Well hasn't Haslam tried every combination of structure by now?   He's gotta start doubling back on them so we're headed back to HC & GM of equal power, both with a key to Haslam's office.  

And the part about the GM having authority over the 53 tells me that McDaniels will once again be removing his name from the hat.

It baffles me that anyone who has any other offers would take up the Haslams. 

I get why Rob Chudzinski or Mike Pettine took them up on their HC jobs, neither were getting another serious offer. But McDaniels? Urban Meyer? Nah... 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Agreed.

People come back at ya with the ol' There's only 32 of these jobs available.   But taking THIS one means you'll never get ANOTHER one.   (somehow, some dope DID hire Pat Murmur)

9 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I get why Rob Chudzinski or Mike Pettine took them up on their HC jobs, neither were getting another serious offer. But McDaniels? Urban Meyer? Nah... 

The only thing that this job can be attractive for is the challenge. Whoever turns this organization around will be considered a national hero. Hymns will be sung in his honor, streets will be named after him and he'll later become the POTUS. 100% Guaranteed. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

He couldn't do that.....but his underlings did exactly that.  He knew nothing.  ;)  https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/4/2/17182368/pilot-flying-j-fraud-scandal-update-jimmy-haslam-cleveland-browns

.....As the owner of the Browns, Haslam has been quick to accept the blame for his organization’s perennial underperformance. But as the CEO of Pilot Flying J, the truck-stop company where 17 former employees have pleaded guilty or been convicted in a fraud scheme worth more than $50 million, Haslam has taken a different tone.

“As I have said throughout this ordeal, I knew nothing about the misconduct of some of our former employees,” Haslam said in December 2016......

4 hours ago, Orion said:

Yeah, Jimmy tried that before- and if at first you don't succeed, try, try again.  :D You don't need to be THAT involved Jimmy. 

If it blows up again- Haslam will have to admit he's the problem, and sell out. Don't remember where I saw it, but part of the problem seems to be Jimmy listens to too many opinions before he makes up his mind.  And the one constant over the last several years is DePodesta. You can't be sure, but this is Paul's last chance to get things right. If the rumor is true that Dorsey tossed DePodesta's 1,000 page analytics report in the trash without looking at it, no wonder there was front office friction. 

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

R0B1.gif    Oqiy.gif    the whole presser, we could have just used this guy 🤣    

21 hours ago, hoorta said:

And the one constant over the last several years is DePodesta. You can't be sure, but this is Paul's last chance to get things right. If the rumor that Dorsey tossed DePodesta's 1,000 page analytics report in the trash without looking at it, no wonder there was front office friction. 

What's interesting about DePodesta and his time here is how he seemingly has had all these great ideas that everyone refused to use... if he's basically being ignored by everyone involved, from the Haslams when they chose Hue over his choice, or Dorsey when he chose Kitchens over his choice, then why have the Browns even bothered to keep him around? 

And if you were John Dorsey, and you've played in the NFL, had about every position in a football organization on his way up to GM, and some guy who Jonah Hill played IN A BASEBALL MOVIE hands you a 1000 page analytics report, what are you doing with it? 

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Don't remember where I saw it, but part of the problem seems to be Jimmy listens to too many opinions

I heard it on 92 the Fan from one of their featured call-in experts.  Said Haslam asks everyone for their opinions.  Including other owners.  The expert said that Haslam thinks that the other owner(s) are giving him good advice when in fact they are his competition and are NOT actually trying to help him.  :)

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Orion said:

I heard it on 92 the Fan from one of their featured call-in experts.  Said Haslam asks everyone for their opinions.  Including other owners.  The expert said that Haslam thinks that the other owner(s) are giving him good advice when in fact they are his competition and are NOT actually trying to help him.  :)

They're protecting their turf right up to and beyond draft day.  He needs better spies.

Read in one of the reports of the day that it was not simply a matter of Depo preferring McDermott and Stefanski over Hue and Freddie respectively, but that he thought Jackson and Kitchens were really bad choices.

If true, then it's no wonder why he's running this search.

Also interesting that JW Johnson (employee, minority owner and son-in-law) is on the selection committee.

7 hours ago, nickers said:

Well I think they like Wolf a lot!... I think there's a strong chance he remains here...

It's been reported that Wolf may be continuing in his current role, but will not be ascending to the GM role.

8 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Read in one of the reports of the day that it was not simply a matter of Depo preferring McDermott and Stefanski over Hue and Freddie respectively, but that he thought Jackson and Kitchens were really bad choices.

If true, then it's no wonder why he's running this search.

Also interesting that JW Johnson (employee, minority owner and son-in-law) is on the selection committee.

It's been reported that Wolf may be continuing in his current role, but will not be ascending to the GM role.

I wonder what his reaction would be if they brought back Berry as GM? Interesting that Andrew instantly found another job in the NFL, and Sashi didn't. 

Could it be  part of Haslam's problem is that he's infatuated with Harvard guys? DePodesta, Sashi, and Berry. At least on the plus side for Berry- he actually played football at Harvard.  :)  

11 hours ago, hoorta said:

I wonder what his reaction would be if they brought back Berry as GM? Interesting that Andrew instantly found another job in the NFL, and Sashi didn't. 

Could it be  part of Haslam's problem is that he's infatuated with Harvard guys? DePodesta, Sashi, and Berry. At least on the plus side for Berry- he actually played football at Harvard.  :)  

Bring in Tommy Lee Jones then.   He did too....and he would at least be entertaining.

LivelyLightheartedAfricanrockpython-max-

4 of 12 Playoff teams..49'ers/Hawks/Bills/KC.. Head Coach had influence in picking GM

2= Texans & Pats Head Coach is GM

1 = Saints Sean Payton has maybe earned Personal say

So really maybe 7 of 12 playoff teams have Viewed the HC as having had a GM influence.. 

Now both, hand in hand, reporting matters to a Jimmy Haslam? Oh Christ!!   

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

4 of 12 Playoff teams..49'ers/Hawks/Bills/KC.. Head Coach had influence in picking GM

2= Texans & Pats Head Coach is GM

1 = Saints Sean Payton has maybe earned Personal say

So really maybe 7 of 12 playoff teams have Viewed the HC as having had a GM influence.. 

Now both, hand in hand, reporting matters to a Jimmy Haslam? Oh Christ!!   

It's not a bad idea for the HC and GM to be on the same page or even work together.

Parcells said he and Patriots owner Robert Kraft eventually made peace in the matter, which stemmed from the coach not having final say over the roster. It also spawned the famous quote from Parcells, “If they want you to cook the dinner, at least they ought to let you shop for some of the groceries.”Jun 24, 2013

Now in the BROWNS case I guess we'll see where it goes next.

27 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

It's not a bad idea for the HC and GM to be on the same page or even work together.

No Shit Sherlock.

Parcells said he and Patriots owner Robert Kraft eventually made peace in the matter, which stemmed from the coach not having final say over the roster. It also spawned the famous quote from Parcells, “If they want you to cook the dinner, at least they ought to let you shop for some of the groceries.”Jun 24, 2013

Now in the BROWNS case I guess we'll see where it goes next.

Too many Cooks spoil the broth?

13 hours ago, hoorta said:

DePodesta, Sashi, and Berry. At least on the plus side for Berry- he actually played football at Harvard.  :)  

Analytic skills are Organization skills are not enhanced by playing football.

• Upvote 1