THE BROWNS BOARD

Structure

The Gipper

I am hearing that perhaps the Browns may have a new "Structure"....that could look something like this:

Director of Football Operations.     A man to oversee everything.    Say....a Peyton Manning?

Player Personnel Director..... reporting to DFO.....in essence a GM, responsible for talent acquisition, pro and college (maybe...the young Wolf? and I don't mean Rob Stark)

Head Coach....and his assistants.

You will still have the likes of  Depodesta as  Strategic Planning coordinating with  DFO/PPD.....and such other "talent" people below the PPD.  

That DFO  really would have to be someone that has the gravitas who can face down Haslam and his propensity to be impatient....it is why the Peyton Manning name is one I thought of.(plus that has been talked about before).   If there are other names....please post them.

I am certainly not opposed to this (it probably would not be the first time this was employed:   Joe Banner?)..if it works, that is. 

So....it seems to me that despite a lot of  folderal  on here about the HC position.....should we not be concentrating on who this  Director of Football Operations  would be......?   Because I am hearing indications that that will be the priority position to fill.

And those would be non coach guys.   (Like Guys we have had here in the past:   Banner, Mike Holmgren) 

Names brought up:

Peyton

Ozzie Newsome

I   am going to say it:  Bill Cowher

And FYI....the "GM"...or DPP.....would be a guy, perhaps, who is subsidiary to the HC.  In essence, the HC  would get to do some of the grocery shopping...or at least tell the DPP what to shop for

The Browns seem to be looking for the HC first, then hiring a GM that the HC would want to work with. That's why everyone is talking about the head coach position.

Now, I don't know what why they don't hire the GM, then let him hire the HC HE wants to work with, but apparently the Browns really want Paul DePodesta to run the head coaching search, not another new GM. 

8 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

The Browns seem to be looking for the HC first, then hiring a GM that the HC would want to work with. That's why everyone is talking about the head coach position.

Now, I don't know what why they don't hire the GM, then let him hire the HC HE wants to work with, but apparently the Browns really want Paul DePodesta to run the head coaching search, not another new GM. 

I am saying that it may be probable that both  GM and HC will be subservients.

A DFO may be hired before either.    I am thinking that the search there may be all on the low down....even that it may be possible that they have their head honcho, but may not want to announce it now because he may be with a current playoff team.....just speculating. 

Despite the "talk"...and the requests to interview.......notice that no actual interviews have taken place for a HC. 

25 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

A DFO may be hired before either.    I am thinking that the search there may be all on the low down....even that it may be possible that they have their head honcho, but may not want to announce it now because he may be with a current playoff team.....just speculating. 

Despite the "talk"...and the requests to interview.......notice that no actual interviews have taken place for a HC. 

Likely because you can't interview any coach who is active in the playoffs I believe.

4 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Likely because you can't interview any coach who is active in the playoffs I believe.

Right, but that does not include McCarthy....and it didn't include Rivera...who got taken.  It doesn't include Meyer,  Lincoln Riley...or any of a couple other college coaches.  Like I said....they have to interview and hire the guy that is going to interview and hire the HC they may want. 

7 hours ago, The Gipper said:

They start today.

You really are incapable of ever admitting you are wrong. 

7 hours ago, The Gipper said:

M.McCarthy today.. my interest would be if Eliot Wolfe joins Dee/Jimmy/Depo/Johnson to interview https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sns-tns-bc-fbn-browns-coaching-search-20200102-story.html          Playoff coaches see bottom of link..Depo your basic coaching hire day planner with a 2020 calendar  

57 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

M.McCarthy today.. my interest would be if Eliot Wolfe joins Dee/Jimmy/Depo/Johnson to interview https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sns-tns-bc-fbn-browns-coaching-search-20200102-story.html          Playoff coaches see bottom of link..Depo your basic coaching hire day planner with a 2020 calendar  

Somebody needs to send the Haslams the George Costanza episode on "the opposite", because every decision they have made has been shit. Either that or blindfold them and let them throw at a dartboard full names. Either method will improve our chances tenfold.🧐🎯

37 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

because every decision they have made has been shit. Either that or blindfold them and let them throw at a dartboard full names.

like many maybe, I have no confidence in them today in closing this rat race down... that's even if McCarthy blows them away... If they are dumbfounded enough, to wait on interviewing McDaniels?  McCarthy will be signed elsewhere... If Baker's the guy? I trust McCarthy/contacts to get him right

51 minutes ago, 7moses7 said:

Not sure they could sign McCarthy today if they haven’t already interviewed a coach to satisfy the Rooney rule

How do you think Gettelman feels over the Dorsey Firing?

Riddle this...

The Giants are interviewing Dallas's DC Kris Richard today  (Rooney Rule applicant)

M.McCarthy will interview for Giants job Friday...

Edit--JD than takes job Jimma offered at giants..(if jags/skins don't hire him 1st as GM) 

The Jimma Suckture

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

They start today.

You really are incapable of ever admitting you are wrong. 

I was not wrong when I made that post....was I.   As of yesterday, no one had been interviewed. 

Beyond that....would they be doing things bass ackward if they hired  the HC  before they hired  a GM...or someone who would be in charge of football operations? 

Or...is it their intent to make the HC  THE person in charge of football operations.   (like BB in NE?)

21 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

IIRC, the Browns  went  that route  once already,  hired the HC first and then the GM. Went over like a  lead balloon.  Please don't  make  the same mistake again,  but I  won't be  surprised if the Haslams are dumb enough to  make the  same mistake  twice. 

12 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Yes you can, and "the rules" were posted elsewhere.  I  have a feeling  that the  Browns are  only  interviewing  Bienemy to  satisfy the  Rooney rule. 

21 hours ago, The Gipper said:

So....it seems to me that despite a lot of  folderal  on here about the HC position.....should we not be concentrating on who this  Director of Football Operations  would be......?   Because I am hearing indications that that will be the priority position to fill.

And those would be non coach guys.   (Like Guys we have had here in the past:   Banner, Mike Holmgren) 

Names brought up:

Peyton

Ozzie Newsome

I   am going to say it:  Bill Cowher

And FYI....the "GM"...or DPP.....would be a guy, perhaps, who is subsidiary to the HC.  In essence, the HC  would get to do some of the grocery shopping...or at least tell the DPP what to shop for

Bill Cowher's content with tv. 

Cleveland Browns offensive coordinator Todd Monken was reportedly open about the team's dysfunction during the 2019 season.

According to Zac Jackson of The Athletic, Monken would tell opposing coaches prior to games that the Browns were a "total mess" and also suggested that there were inconsistencies between the game plans that were put in place and what happened on Sundays.

Monken, who served as the head coach at Southern Mississippi from 2013 until 2015, was brought in by Freddie Kitchens to be the Browns' offensive coordinator in 2019, but it was Kitchens who had play-calling responsibilities.

Kitchens spent part of 2018 as the Browns' offensive coordinator following the firing of head coach Hue Jackson. He seemed to work well with then-rookie quarterback Baker Mayfield and helped lead a Cleveland offense that ranked 13th in total yardage and 20th in scoring.

The Browns dropped to 22nd in both yardage and scoring this season, however, despite the fact that they acquired wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. via trade with the New York Giants. Cleveland also went from 7-8-1 in 2018 to 6-10 this season and extended its playoff drought to an NFL-worst 17 years.

As a result, Kitchens was fired after just one season as head coach, while the Browns and general manager John Dorsey mutually agreed to part ways.

With Kitchens and Dorsey gone, Monken's fate will be up to whomever the Browns hire as their new head coach and GM, but it is difficult to envision him returning in the wake of Jackson's story.

While there is plenty of work to do in Cleveland, whoever assumes the role of offensive coordinator will have plenty of talent to work with in 2020, including Mayfield, Beckham, running back Nick Chubb and wide receiver Jarvis Landry.

•  
  •  
  •  

3 hours ago, hoorta said:

IIRC, the Browns  went  that route  once already,  hired the HC first and then the GM. Went over like a  lead balloon.  Please don't  make  the same mistake again,  but I  won't be  surprised if the Haslams are dumb enough to  make the  same mistake  twice. 

Yes you can, and "the rules" were posted elsewhere.  I  have a feeling  that the  Browns are  only  interviewing  Bienemy to  satisfy the  Rooney rule. 

they could interview the stadium floor sweeper... same difference...

1 hour ago, nickers said:

they could interview the stadium floor sweeper... same difference...

Well, with DePodesta doing the HC search, why not interview "The Homeless Guy".  :D That analytics feller sure has an eye for talent. Um, NOT.   Actually I'm not averse to them bringing back Andrew Berry in some capacity.  

PS- from that organizational chart mjp posted in another thread- why not just promote Elliott Wolf from "Assistant GM" to GM? But that would be too simple. Elliott was already under consideration to be the next Packers GM. I have to wonder with all the BS that's flying around Berea currently if he's interested in sticking around- or sees the Browns organization as the Titanic that just hit the iceberg.... And if they hire McCarthy, do the two of them get along?  

4 hours ago, hoorta said:

Well, with DePodesta doing the HC search, why not interview "The Homeless Guy".  :D That analytics feller sure has an eye for talent. Um, NOT.   Actually I'm not averse to them bringing back Andrew Berry in some capacity.  

PS- from that organizational chart mjp posted in another thread- why not just promote Elliott Wolf from "Assistant GM" to GM? But that would be too simple. Elliott was already under consideration to be the next Packers GM. I have to wonder with all the BS that's flying around Berea currently if he's interested in sticking around- or sees the Browns organization as the Titanic that just hit the iceberg.... And if they hire McCarthy, do the two of them get along?  

Well that's the Combo I want to see... Wolf/McCarthy.