THE BROWNS BOARD

For sanity sake, let's list Dorsey's mistakes...

Orion

Drafting Corbett ahead of Nick Chubb at the start of round 2 after having all night and day to think it over.

Drafting Corbett AT ALL.

Trading Zeitler away for Vernon.   (points right back to the Corbett decision, except a year later)

After signing Hunt, answering the reporter's question, "Does signing Hunt make Duke expendable?"  by saying, "Not yet."  That obviously made Duke feel like shit so that he wanted out.  And Duke is/was MILES better than Hilliard!

Hiring Freddie.  Perhaps some of us would have done the same thing, but it's still on Dorsey.

......what else goes on the negative side of the ledger?    I mean, to me, he brought in a lot of talent.  He made some mistakes, but that's being human.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

John Dorsey is known for his high graded draft talent. Has good connections with most players agents for insights.. 1) Dorsey's largest issue was Acting the part "of the smartest man in the room" in any event. His confidence was smug & almost rude at times (senior bowl/Combine). Add Jimmy Haslams tude in & you got to wonder how it became Dee & Jimmy Haslam so quickly.. Let's be honest, On the inside, Dorsey could spin the media without giving a direct answer to any of them.. 2) On the Outside.. Dorsey seemed ok with Freddie & his players being smug & playing with his same cockiness..I felt first hint of this when JD met every FA with the new Freddie's slogan "If you don't wear B & O you don't matter".. After..3) Each game week seemed to have a drama target that would show up about 3 days prior to the game. Coach nor GM would shut it down. Add this to a 4) GM & coach that approved wrong visors, wrong cleats, wrong pant lenght & special watch needs. With over 100 yellow flags.

Yep! I may have been The Dorse biggest fan. But every man has his faults in this business. I do wish John Dorsey good luck in his next position...and As we all know, The good guys all get better without The Haslam's...     

HaPPy NeW Year!! 🕛 🎉🎊

• Upvote 3

Well, minus Garrett, a situational pass rusher like Avery would have come in handy. Oghbah gone. House cleaning a lot of the coaching staff. Is Baker's regression due in part to Zampeze not being around anymore? 

No interest in resigning Schobert. You're not going to find a talent like Joe in the third round John. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

No interest in resigning Schobert. You're not going to find a talent like Joe in the third round John. 

Hell, Sashi found a talent like Joe in the third round hoorta, when he took Joe in the third round of the 2016 NFL Draft.

And Sashi's drafts were pretty much a million picks and three players worth a damn, one being Myles Garrett, who EVERYONE would have taken #1 overall. 

Hell, I'd take this Wisconsin LB in the 3rd round of the upcoming draft: 

https://withthefirstpick.com/2019/12/03/2020-nfl-draft-zack-baun-presents-intriguing-value-middle-rounds/5/

9 hours ago, Orion said:

Drafting Corbett ahead of Nick Chubb at the start of round 2 after having all night and day to think it over.

Drafting Corbett AT ALL.

Trading Zeitler away for Vernon.   (points right back to the Corbett decision, except a year later)

After signing Hunt, answering the reporter's question, "Does signing Hunt make Duke expendable?"  by saying, "Not yet."  That obviously made Duke feel like shit so that he wanted out.  And Duke is/was MILES better than Hilliard!

Hiring Freddie.  Perhaps some of us would have done the same thing, but it's still on Dorsey.

......what else goes on the negative side of the ledger?    I mean, to me, he brought in a lot of talent.  He made some mistakes, but that's being human.

I'd add drafting Calloway, that pretty much turned out EXACTLY how anyone objective thought it would. 

The Freddie hiring, and WHY he was probably hired (Dorsey most likely didn't want a strong head coach who could Andy Reid him out of another job) was Dorsey's undoing. 

Not that I have ANY faith the Haslams will get it right this time, of course. 

Thanks to the responders.  (I can't thank or upvote anyone for the rest of the day)  :)

I forgot about Callaway.  As someone posted elsewhere, How do you flunk a drug test at the combine.  (it was him, right?)

Nice write up Gumby.

Dorsey did A LOT of good things for us talent-wise.  When we were 1-31 he TRADED for talent.  That was smart.  No one was going to come to us through FA.  Talent HAD to be brought in kicking and screaming.  And THEN, with talent actually ON the team, it would be easier to bring in FA's.   Now, with Jimmy looking like Trigger Finger Jimmy, I don't know how easy it's going to be to get good front office and HC candidates to give us serious consideration.

42 minutes ago, Orion said:

Now, with Jimmy looking like Trigger Finger Jimmy, I don't know how easy it's going to be to get good front office and HC candidates to give us serious consideration.

I know there are only 32 of these head coach and GM jobs, but it baffles me that anyone worth anything would even consider working for the Haslams. The only reason I can see even bothering to come to Cleveland to interview with these yahoos is to try and drive up your price with the team you really want to go with, i.e. Chip Kelly with the Browns years ago. 

11 hours ago, Orion said:

Drafting Corbett AT ALL.

Wanting to keep Freddie which ultimately resulted in Jimmy reducing his responsibility in selecting the next HC. Not stepping in on the shit show between Monken and Freddie. When Freddie didn't put a stop to the distractions that were being played out, He should have stepped in and put his foot up the players asses that were creating all the distractions.

12 hours ago, Orion said:

Drafting Corbett AT ALL.

I completely forgot about the Duke incident.  On one hand he got a third round pick which was great but we paid a price the first 8 weeks.  We thought Hilliard was Duke and we slotted him out and put Hilliard in situations that he wasn’t capable of being Duke.   The darn Seahawk Game comes to mind. 

and getting Callaway back and just rushing him onto the field 9er game....just stunk of Dorsey. 

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

There's a certain allure in being the one to end a persistent shit storm.

Didn't  The Huebatross think  he was the one who  could  do it? Well, there are only  32 of these jobs and the  pay is  pretty  good. :)

Callaway was a high round talent drafted in the 4th. Not the end of world. 
Trading Avery for a 5th was questionable. The way Duke was traded was shady. Not having a starting caliber LT costed the team all year. Kitchens wasn’t at all ready. Some would say trading Ogbah for Eric Murray wasn’t a good deal but Murray showed he can play well in the secondary.

This comes from a Texas Tech sportswriter..  https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/after-firing-gm-john-dorsey-what-s-next-for-the-cleveland-browns  Whitehead was a over the top mess. Than i forget which team signed him after? Oakland? maybe

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

There's a certain allure in being the one to end a persistent shit storm.

Yes there is. But what kind of people does that get you? Cocky motherfuckers is the answer.

There are likely other people that can do a plus job with plus results, but we have effectively whittled away a fighting chance at getting those people and are instead reduced to hoping for a cocky motherfucker who can hopefully do the job. 

We just fired a cocky motherfucker who was probably the best cocky motherfucker we’ve had in a while. What does that say to the rest of the small pool of cocky motherfuckers from which to pull from?

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, gumby73 said:

John Dorsey is known for his high graded draft talent. Has good connections with most players agents for insights.. 1) Dorsey's largest issue was Acting the part "of the smartest man in the room" in any event. His confidence was smug & almost rude at times (senior bowl/Combine). Add Jimmy Haslams tude in & you got to wonder how it became Dee & Jimmy Haslam so quickly.. Let's be honest, On the inside, Dorsey could spin the media without giving a direct answer to any of them.. 2) On the Outside.. Dorsey seemed ok with Freddie & his players being smug & playing with his same cockiness..I felt first hint of this when JD met every FA with the new Freddie's slogan "If you don't wear B & O you don't matter".. After..3) Each game week seemed to have a drama target that would show up about 3 days prior to the game. Coach nor GM would shut it down. Add this to a 4) GM & coach that approved wrong visors, wrong cleats, wrong pant lenght & special watch needs. With over 100 yellow flags.

Yep! I may have been The Dorse biggest fan. But every man has his faults in this business. I do wish John Dorsey good luck in his next position...and As we all know, The good guys all get better without The Haslam's...     

HaPPy NeW Year!! 🕛 🎉🎊

Good therapeutic post idea Orion. Citing Gumby’s post because it’s pure gold.

I’ll pitch in cutting Reiter at the tail end of camp last year. I think he woulda been a fit for our OLine issues this year.

18 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Citing Gumby’s post because it’s pure gold.

30 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Cocky motherfuckers is the answer. 

We just fired a cocky motherfucker who was probably the best cocky motherfucker we’ve had in a while. What does that say to the rest of the small pool of cocky motherfuckers from which to pull from?

Touche".... you golden laughable cocky motherfucker... 🤩 Thanks! from my Sanity Sake's... lmao

As Tour2ma stated elsewhere on this forum: Inability to play nice with others that also ended his tenure in KC.

Myguyism, if he didn't bring you into the building your days were numbered no matter how talented you were or could contribute to the scheme. Shelton should've been retained for run blocking, Ogunjobi is more of a rotational NT and is terrible against the run. News is now leaking that the inactives list was also dictated by him which explains Njoku, Higgins and Avery's absences.

45 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I’ll pitch in cutting Reiter at the tail end of camp last year. I think he woulda been a fit for our OLine issues this year.

Not sure where he'd have helped us this season, but in any case cutting anyone who then immediately becomes a two-year starter for the claiming team and then gets a contract extension does not display the best of judgement.

1 minute ago, Tour2ma said:

Not sure where he'd have helped us this season, but in any case cutting anyone who then immediately becomes a two-year starter for the claiming team and then gets a contract extension does not display the best of judgement.

He played guard too. I’m an unabashed Tretter fan, so not advocating for a change at Center. 

45 minutes ago, MDDawg said:

As Tour2ma stated elsewhere on this forum: Inability to play nice with others that also ended his tenure in KC.

Myguyism, if he didn't bring you into the building your days were numbered no matter how talented you were or could contribute to the scheme. Shelton should've been retained for run blocking, Ogunjobi is more of a rotational NT and is terrible against the run. News is now leaking that the inactives list was also dictated by him which explains Njoku, Higgins and Avery's absences.

Dorsey is also someone who didn't hesitate to get rid of HIS guys, if they weren't working out, which blows a bit of a hole in your theory. 

1 hour ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I’ll pitch in cutting Reiter at the tail end of camp last year.

Yeah, I thought he helped us when he played.  But as I recall, he didn't play long because he got hurt.

3 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Dorsey is also someone who didn't hesitate to get rid of HIS guys, if they weren't working out, which blows a bit of a hole in your theory. 

When they were unsalvageable, he’d cut his own: Callaway, Whitehead and Corbett. Productive players who weren’t his guys were inactivated or dispensed of otherwise.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Orion said:

Yeah, I thought he helped us when he played.  But as I recall, he didn't play long because he got hurt.

One game l recall. Performed well then got injured. It’s a personal sticking point for me. Anyone who gets injured playing for my team automatically earns my admiration. 

8 minutes ago, MDDawg said:

When they were unsalvageable, he’d cut his own: Callaway, Whitehead and Corbett. Productive players who weren’t his guys were inactivated or dispensed of otherwise.

Like Tretter, Bitonio, Ogunjobi, Garrett, Schobert, Kirksey (who didn't play much but would have started both Dorsey years)...

You make Dorsey out to be different than EVERY new GM who stocks his team with HIS guys. You don't think that's going to happen in the next season or two?