THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns to interview McCarthy

Neo

10 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Starting to get a little nervous now. 

I was nervous after the Haslem press conference.  Secretly there has to be a lot of self doubt entering his mind. 
He’s running out of excuses- if you keep hiring the wrong guy it eventually comes back on you and it’s not a shame on them as much as it becomes a shame on you. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Yeah, that's kind of what I'm thinking too. I guess my worry with a younger coach is whether or not he can command the locker room. Being a Bill disciple, perhaps McDaniels knows a thing or two about discipline and keeping a team together...at least that's my hope. I have a feeling that our team was a bigger cluster chicken than we even thought, so perhaps the right coach can unlock our potential. 

Have you seen him talk to Tom Brady? I'm not worried about that, only thing I'm worried about is spygate lingering around that organization and if he can coach independently of that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

McDaniel.  Two years in Denver, Remember.

Took a Tebow lead team to the playoffs and somehow beat Pittsburgh I believe. 

46 minutes ago, MDDawg said:

Chill, although McCarthy studied analytics for a year I don't think he would've aligned well in this organization. McDaniels is a better fit among the former head coaches and I read he's interviewing today.

Yep. So he should be signed by this evening or... or fried chicken and apple pie from Aunt Bee will change his mind when he gets to Carolina...

WSS

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, jbluhm86 said:

McCarthy to the Cowboys. Browns miss out on another quality HC due to Haslam's incompetence. Time for the mods to take this thread behind the woodshed and put it out of it's misery.

I would say that they only "missed" out on him if they actually ever had any intention of really wanting him.   It seems they did want to interview him...but were NOT particularly interested in signing him....other wise they would have put the bum's rush on him, which they didn't do.  But Jerry Jones apparently did.   I believe they had their sights set elsewhere. 

There seemed to be no support for his hiring in any quarter of the Browns FO.   Now, the question is....as has been discussed....will there be a bifurcation of opinion on the other candidates.   Will Depodesta push hard for someone (Stefanski maybe) that the owners don't prefer because they have their own preferred candidate (McDaniels?)  

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

I was nervous after the Haslem press conference.  Secretly there has to be a lot of self doubt entering his mind. 
He’s running out of excuses- if you keep hiring the wrong guy it eventually comes back on you and it’s not a shame on them as much as it becomes a shame on you. 

I’m always nervous when Jimmy speaks. 

He has NO IDEA what he’s doing 

1 hour ago, jbluhm86 said:

McCarthy to the Cowboys. Browns miss out on another quality HC due to Haslam's incompetence. Time for the mods to take this thread behind the woodshed and put it out of it's misery.

Missed out due to incompetence?

Haslam could certainly be incompetent, but MM also went to a better organization. In fact, that organization is valued as the most valuable team in the world.

There is a reason why guys schedule multiple interviews. The same reason free agents visit multiple teams (aside from the tiny amount like LBJ who are going to go to a team no matter what). 

And along with Daniels, McDaniels, Pettine, you can also add Garrett. 

1 hour ago, jbluhm86 said:

A look at the Cowboy's perspective from a Browns fan. Jerrah jumped in head first into the deep water without interviewing anyone else. I caught the big fish- great for publicity.  And Jones is all about making a big splash. 

BTW- doing a little Wiki research- the last "big name" HC of the Cowboys- Bill Parcells was OK- but hardly on the Bill B. level, three years and a record of 34-30 no playoff wins. May history repeat itself for South America's Team.  :)  

My feeling? The Browns probably told Mike- we like you, but we're doing more interviews with other candidates.... I don't call it Haslam incompetence- just looking at the complete selection of fish before they haul one in. Due diligence isn't incompetence. Sure, one got away, unless you (and the Browns) are 100% certain McCarthy was the best possible choice. They (Cleveland) had to know the odds were pretty good if they didn't offer Mike a blow you away deal then and there, he'd probably land another HC gig with another team quickly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

My feeling? The Browns probably told Mike- we like you, but we're doing more interviews with other candidates.... I don't call it Haslam incompetence- just looking at the complete selection of fish before they haul one in. Due diligence isn't incompetence. Sure, one got away, unless you (and the Browns) are 100% certain McCarthy was the best possible choice. They (Cleveland) had to know the odds were pretty good if they didn't offer Mike a blow you away deal then and there, he'd probably land another HC gig with another team quickly

I think you totally nailed it. If we were 100% sold on McCarthy I don't see a way we let him out of the building, AND we're probably a better destination for a head coach anyway. Why? We don't have Jerry messing around with everything and we might actually have the better team. It's very close, but I still think we're a better fit for many coaches. But I've never liked Dallas so I'm probably biased. 🤣

27 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

I think you totally nailed it. If we were 100% sold on McCarthy I don't see a way we let him out of the building, AND we're probably a better destination for a head coach anyway. Why? We don't have Jerry messing around with everything and we might actually have the better team. It's very close, but I still think we're a better fit for many coaches. But I've never liked Dallas so I'm probably biased. 🤣

And that's why they probably scheduled him with the first interview.

8 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

It's entirely possible McCarthy knew he might be getting a call from Dallas and decided to do a little due diligence of his own before accepting a Browns offer... 

It is all irrelevant now, isn't it.  Onward and upwards.

Did anyone hear if in fact McDaniel was in today to interview? 

5 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

It's entirely possible McCarthy knew he might be getting a call from Dallas and decided to do a little due diligence of his own before accepting a Browns offer... 

This here...

How many Super Bowl Winning HC coaches are in the market actively looking for jobs? MM may not tickle our fancy but his competition no disrespect to the following Eric B., Brian D., Saleh, etc. have done what as HCs?  Then you have McDaniels who failed miserably last time and is under the mostly infamous Belichick tree.

Hes got leverage and mostly his choice and teams likely telling him to connect us before you make a decision. 

3 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

It is all irrelevant now, isn't it.  Onward and upwards.

Did anyone hear if in fact McDaniel was in today to interview? 

Rumor was today, And he had names he wanted as The GM (John Carroll U alums), and has his staff mostly picked out.  And...his hometown Browns would be hard to turn down.

I’m 0 for my last 2 Browns coaches I wasn’t upset when we named Hue and Freddie.  So maybe this is good sign that I don’t want him 

1 minute ago, SdBacker80 said:

Rumor was today, And he had names he wanted as The GM (John Carroll U alums), and has his staff mostly picked out.  And...his hometown Browns would be hard to turn down.

I’m 0 for my last 2 Browns coaches I wasn’t upset when we named Hue and Freddie.  So maybe this is good sign that I don’t want him 

Well....if YOU don't want him.....sign him up now. He must be good!!:lol:

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jbluhm86 said:

The Browns have had such great success in hiring head coaches since 99 they don't need to go with a proven winning NFL HC like McCarthy. 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Well....if YOU don't want him.....sign him up now. He must be good!!:lol:

Yeah I was convinced Hue would turn us into a playoff team and I didn’t want the Mojo Baker had last year with Freddie to be disrupted.  

i think we are going find out soon... we will be the Patriots West minus Brady and Belichick.  I’m skeptical 

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Word is that McCarthy wants Dick Nolan as his DC???

Christ... he was Tom Landry's DC!

BRING BACK THE FLEX!!!!

Let's assume you are making a joke.    Mike Nolan....Dick's son.    Served this past season a LB coach in New Orleans.  But both Dick and Mike did each serve as HC of the 49ers. 

He was the guy that wanted to wear suits and ties on the sideline, but the league initially disallowed it because they insisted that he wear NFL logo apparel.  They apparently relented a year later, but only if the suits were made  and labeled by Reebok...the league's clothing supplier.   But ever since then however, coaches have been required to look like slobs and street punks  on the sideline wearing  team gear. 

24 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Which Street?   Lou Groza Blvd.?      Dealey Plaza?  Pennsylvania Ave.?

Electric Avenue. 

We're going to rock down to... Electric Avenue. 

And then we'll take it higher. 

• Haha 2