THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns to interview McCarthy

Neo

35 minutes ago, hoorta said:

What's worse is not doing due diligence. And I'm on record hiring the coach first and then the GM is a BAD idea, as well as both reporting directly to Jimmy. 

San Fran east..Shanny was hired first than Lynch..can't say some don't fail either.. after farmer/pett.. hue/sashi.. jimmy elects to make.. The Yellow prick road Exit "Me"

1 hour ago, ATOM said:

doesnt it seem odd to anyone that haslem would do his presser in the middle of McCarthy interview

that was from the radio show Browns Daily  

the interview for Roman is set for tonight

It is highly possible from what I have heard that the Brown WILL be going with the  " HC in charge" model.  That in essence, the HC will be the boss of the GM.....which I guess can and has worked.     BB and NE operate that way.  a

I think it works that way in KC with  Reid at the forefront.      It would not surprise me if it is that way in New Orleans.

Someone mentioned  SFO.

Anywhere else?

6 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

It is highly possible from what I have heard that the Brown WILL be going with the  " HC in charge" model.  That in essence, the HC will be the boss of the GM.....which I guess can and has worked.     BB and NE operate that way.  a

I think it works that way in KC with  Reid at the forefront.      It would not surprise me if it is that way in New Orleans.

Someone mentioned  SFO.

Anywhere else?

What did you hear? (or did you listen) & who/what is SFO?... in presser, Jimmy maintains the HC will name the gameday 46..while the GM will control the 53..McDaniels is to interview next Friday..Do you think he will show with that cat out of the bag?? nobody in this room, can't avoid talking to much to media including this fine coaching hiring staff 

Ok, we have gotten past the interview with an experienced & successful HC (McCarthy). Now it's on to the IMPORTANT interviews....the Coordinators who have NOT been successful HCs, are young & will learn on the job with this very young team...seems to be the formula for all the FAILED HCs the Haslams have hired to date, so why not follow that trend?

Canton Mike

Mike

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

Ok, we have gotten past the interview with an experienced & successful HC (McCarthy). Now it's on to the IMPORTANT interviews....the Coordinators who have NOT been successful HCs, are young & will learn on the job with this very young team...seems to be the formula for all the FAILED HCs the Haslams have hired to date, so why not follow that trend?

Canton Mike

Mike

and as i said for the final time haslem left in the fucking interview to do his presser 

nothing says fuck you like that

3 hours ago, gumby73 said:

What did you hear? (or did you listen) & who/what is SFO?... in presser, Jimmy maintains the HC will name the gameday 46..while the GM will control the 53..McDaniels is to interview next Friday..Do you think he will show with that cat out of the bag?? nobody in this room, can't avoid talking to much to media including this fine coaching hiring staff 

Maybe I just assumed that because it looks like the HC will be hired first, and then the GM......that the HC would be in charge.    I think/thought that the HC would be able to hire "his guy"  at GM....making the HC the superior of the GM.    But as some have pointed out the Haslam's are apparently going back to the tried and failed model of  HC/GM equal authority of reporting to the owner. 

25 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Maybe I just assumed that because it looks like the HC will be hired first, and then the GM......that the HC would be in charge.    I think/thought that the HC would be able to hire "his guy"  at GM....making the HC the superior of the GM.    But as some have pointed out the Haslam's are apparently going back to the tried and failed model of  HC/GM equal authority of reporting to the owner. 

But Haslam explained that there won't be any friction with both the HC and GM reporting to him (unlike before) BECAUSE THE NEW HC AND GM WILL BE BEST BUDS AND THEY'LL HAVE SLEEP OVERS AND MAKE SMORES!

stepbrothers.png

• Haha 2

ugh....hate the idea of MM.

He is way too conservative and doesn't understand risk/reward, point expectation charts, etc

He SINGLEHANDEDLY lost the nfc championship game in Seattle some years ago with numerous terrible decisions.  He kicked two field goals at the 1 yard line in the 1st quarter.  That's terrible and not defensible.  Then, as if that weren't bad enough, with 4-5 minutes in the game GB had the ball up 11(?) and he ran the ball into the line 3 straight times.  Didn't even try to get a first down.....with prime Aaron Rodgers.  GB punted and the next time they touched the ball they were behind.

I do not want the coach responsible for that coaching malpractice to coach the Cleveland Browns. 

57 minutes ago, Tacosman said:

ugh....hate the idea of MM.

He is way too conservative and doesn't understand risk/reward, point expectation charts, etc

He SINGLEHANDEDLY lost the nfc championship game in Seattle some years ago with numerous terrible decisions.  He kicked two field goals at the 1 yard line in the 1st quarter.  That's terrible and not defensible.  Then, as if that weren't bad enough, with 4-5 minutes in the game GB had the ball up 11(?) and he ran the ball into the line 3 straight times.  Didn't even try to get a first down.....with prime Aaron Rodgers.  GB punted and the next time they touched the ball they were behind.

I do not want the coach responsible for that coaching malpractice to coach the Cleveland Browns. 

He lost the NFC Championship game. So he won more playoff games that season than the Browns have won in decades. Man... who wants that round here!

No denying he had success in GB.

Also no denying that he failed miserably his final two seasons there, grew to be at odds with his star QB and finally lost the team.

I'm a firm pass...

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Also no denying that he failed miserably his final two seasons there, grew to be at odds with his star QB and finally lost the team.

I'm a firm pass...

And you're getting the entire package, not just Mike.... After Rivera- I suppose McCarthy is next on the list of "hot" HC candidates. We got one of those "Hot" guys a few years ago- the Huebatross. Of course McCarthy's resume is a tad better than Jackson's. 

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

I'm a firm pass...

I wasn't going to respond but I had to. This is why the Browns can't have nice things, judging a guy for stuff that happened with some other team. Two totally different scenarios, two totally different teams, people learn from their mistakes and grow. This is why I get so frustrated with the Browns fanbase, you're not willing to trust a guy like McCarthy with the proven track record he has but would be all for bringing in another promising coordinator because that has worked out so well for the Browns. Whether you like it or not, he IS the best candidate AVAILABLE. I don't want some college coach, or some coordinator from some successful team, I want a guy who knows how to run a team.

Fuck, this franchise and fanbase is the very definition of insanity and it makes it hard to be a fan. As long as the Browns continue this same process they will be stuck in eternal purgatory. No thanks on that and I will be taking a break until they get a real coaching staff which will probably be never as long as Jimmy Haslam owns the team.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Neo said:

I wasn't going to respond but I had to. This is why the Browns can't have nice things, judging a guy for stuff that happened with some other team. Two totally different scenarios, two totally different teams, people learn from their mistakes and grow. This is why I get so frustrated with the Browns fanbase, you're not willing to trust a guy like McCarthy with the proven track record he has but would be all for bringing in another promising coordinator because that has worked out so well for the Browns. Whether you like it or not, he IS the best candidate AVAILABLE. I don't want some college coach, or some coordinator from some successful team, I want a guy who knows how to run a team.

Fuck, this franchise and fanbase is the very definition of insanity and it makes it hard to be a fan. As long as the Browns continue this same process they will be stuck in eternal purgatory. No thanks on that and I will be taking a break until they get a real coaching staff which will probably be never as long as Jimmy Haslam owns the team.

:) I get your point but- IIRC the number of coaches who have won Super Bowls with different teams is zero.

16 minutes ago, hoorta said:

:) I get your point but- IIRC the number of coaches who have won Super Bowls with different teams is zero.

See, there's that insanity I am talking about (no offense) Let's just make it to the playoffs before we start talking about Super Bowls. I am not looking for Bill Belichick numbers, I would be happy if we can get the team to hover around 8-8, 9-7 range consistently. At least give us a chance to make the playoffs every year then a Super Bowl would be a bonus. McCarthy would get us to that consistent level to where all we need to do is add a piece here or there and we are contenders. Again, McCarthy has the resume to give him multiple years to build the team, you just can't give that kind of leash to some coordinator because the cycle will repeat itself. You have to crawl before you can walk and the Browns can't do anything at this point in time. McCarthy is the right coach at the right time. Hopefully somebody out there understands what I'm trying to say.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Neo said:

See, there's that insanity I am talking about (no offense) Let's just make it to the playoffs before we start talking about Super Bowls. I am not looking for Bill Belichick numbers, I would be happy if we can get the team to hover around 8-8, 9-7 range consistently. At least give us a chance to make the playoffs every year then a Super Bowl would be a bonus. McCarthy would get us to that consistent level to where all we need to do is add a piece here or there and we are contenders. Again, McCarthy has the resume to give him multiple years to build the team, you just can't give that kind of leash to some coordinator because the cycle will repeat itself. You have to crawl before you can walk and the Browns can't do anything at this point in time. McCarthy is the right coach at the right time. Hopefully somebody out there understands what I'm trying to say.

I get it, since the  Browns  have been  a train wreck- consistent  mediocrity  looks pretty good.  Hell's  Bells,  if the Browns  had a 1/2 competent HC last year we would have  easily reached your low goal. It wouldn't have  taken McCarthy  either. 

IIRC the Rams gave Shanahan a long term  deal,  think they wouldn't have  canned  him after a couple of years  if he had posted a Hue Jackson  record? Face it, failure = turnover. 

I finally give in. Watch his interview and dude seemed super focus and sincere. Does anyone remember Andy Reid last year? Guy was checked the fucked out and they went 4-12. I can't believe I'm typing this but I really think he the year off was needed and is the right coach. WOW what a year

3 hours ago, Neo said:

That is what I believe as well. McCarthy is a solid coach with a good resume and with McCarthy as HC the Browns will get the chance to be a respected NFL team. My first choice was Rivera but the Redskins quickly snatched him up. I'm concerned the same will happen with McCarthy with the Giants taking him if we don't act while he is still available.

7 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I'm a firm pass...

So you would have passed on Andy Reid too. 

1 hour ago, OldBrownsFan said:

That is what I believe as well. McCarthy is a solid coach with a good resume and with McCarthy as HC the Browns will get the chance to be a respected NFL team. My first choice was Rivera but the Redskins quickly snatched him up. I'm concerned the same will happen with McCarthy with the Giants taking him if we don't act while he is still available.

But that is not how it's done in Brownsland. This is how we decide what to do. No running car for the Browns once again. Too many chainsaws still left in the shed.😍

• Haha 1

I'm also convinced MM will end up elsewhere & that's too bad.

The Haslams would rather trust McDaniels (who I believe they want).......He who failed as HC in Denver & bailed on the Colts after accepting their offer. Hadn't they already started the hiring process of "Fail & Bail Boy"s staff?

After as many failures as the Haslams have had, & with this young team, I would think that going with successful experience IN THE POSITION & credibility might be wise.

We'll see what happens, but if this HC decision ends in more failure, I'll not be surprised.

Mike

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, LBC mike said:

Don't worry he walked without taking an offer.  He will be announced as the Giants HC soon.

maybe even today? and i seriously think it's right up Gettlemen's alley to use McDaniels as the pawn to interview with Giants next Friday as a "look over here" 🤫 

9 hours ago, hoorta said:

Technically correct, but Shula did win championships with 2 different franchises.

But there really is no science to this. From that statement, it would be better to have someone who didn't win one or never made it.

Or take it a step further, look at last 20 years (a lot of older coaches wouldn't be in league anymore).

Belichick: not happening 

Pederson: not happening 

Kubiak: Possible?

Carroll: Not happening 

Harbaugh: Not happening 

Coughlin: retired 

McCarthy: The issue here

Payton: Not happening 

Tomlin: Not happening 

Dungy: retired 

Cowher: retired 

Gruden: Not happening or would want

Billick: retired

Vermeil: retired 

I would guess that everyone would want: Belichick, Pederson, Carroll, Harbaugh, Payton, Tomlin.

They would ALL go against that trend referenced. So I don't think that should be a good reason to be against MM. 

While I certainly wouldn't be thrilled about McCarthy and I imagine, even if he were to achieve some success here, in time it would fade much like his GB tenure.

That having been said, I'll take him 8 days a week over McDaniels.  I cannot express my loathing enough of that guy.   How much I despised Manziel as a player and person - that is my level of contempt for that man.

13 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

But Haslam explained that there won't be any friction with both the HC and GM reporting to him (unlike before) BECAUSE THE NEW HC AND GM WILL BE BEST BUDS AND THEY'LL HAVE SLEEP OVERS AND MAKE SMORES!

stepbrothers.png

Don't forget about DePodesta...he will tell scary stories, like when Hue went 1-31!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gunz41 said:

Technically correct, but Shula did win championships with 2 different franchises.

But there really is no science to this. From that statement, it would be better to have someone who didn't win one or never made it.

Or take it a step further, look at last 20 years (a lot of older coaches wouldn't be in league anymore).

I would guess that everyone would want: Belichick, Pederson, Carroll, Harbaugh, Payton, Tomlin.

They would ALL go against that trend referenced. So I don't think that should be a good reason to be against MM. 

Gunz, it's  out of  our hands. Whatever happens,  happens. If the Browns  pick McCarthy, McDaniels, someone  we never heard of,  or the homeless guy- so be it. 

I'm  for sure not going to  be whoopee enthused  regardless who the choice  is. We've  gotten burned  too  many times  already.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gunz41 said:

Actually, no.  He only won with Miami.   He was in NFC title game, vs. Browns in 1964 and lost, and he lost  SBIII in 1968. Never won ultimate title with the Colts.

The ONLY coach to ever win championships with 2 different franchises has been Weeb Ewbank.  A few others were in position:   Parcells, Holmgren, Vermeil, John Fox maybe a couple more. They didn't get it done. 

And the only QBs to win titles with 2 different teams:   Tobin Rote and Peyton Manning.

Could a Dungy or Cowher ever be lured out of the TV booth after many years, ala  Gruden?  Not likely, but you never know. (and it would not be done by Jimmy Haslam)

Not sure why people are so dead set against MM. God forbid we get an experienced and successful coach. He's won a SB,  coached 2 great QB'S,  and he's looking to prove he's still a top coach. 

Beggars can't be choosers.  Let's at least get a coach who can put together a string of at least one winning season in a row.

• Thanks 1