THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns to interview McCarthy

Neo

My dad said he saw on the TV the Giants and Browns are to interview Mike McCarthy. This man has a resume that you can say " You have five years to build this team". Anybody else and we are having this conversation again after next season. If I am going to suffer as a Browns fan, then McCarthy is a guy that I am willing to give multiple years to, at least there is SOME hope that he can turn things around. So Mr. Haslam, if you want stability in your franchise, this is the place to start.

If it is true that he will interview, do not let this man leave the building without a contract. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 7moses7 said:

Can’t recall what happened to McCarthy in Green Bay , it seems maybe the team quit on him. Does anyone else recall what happened??

Him and Rodgers couldn't get along supposedly.... His last two seasons were less than stellar. As Tour pointed out- they went from 6-9 to 13-3 this year- essentially same team, without McCarthy. Something to consider. I'm totally ambivalent on hiring him.  

As I've been saying- you bring in Mike, you have to accept the whole package of assistant coaches he's already recruited. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, hoorta said:

As I've been saying- you bring in Mike, you have to accept the whole package of assistant coaches he's already recruited. 

I think the Browns have worn out the "hire the promising OC/DC coordinator from another team that is successful" McCarthy is the only real HC available and the resume to back up hiring him. Who cares what happened in Green Bay, Mike McCarthy isn't Hue Jackson, he isn't Romeo Crennel, HE ISN'T FREDDIE KITCHENS. Let's go down the road less traveled by the Browns and just hire a real coach and see where it takes us.

1 hour ago, Neo said:

I think the Browns have worn out the "hire the promising OC/DC coordinator from another team that is successful" McCarthy is the only real HC available and the resume to back up hiring him. Who cares what happened in Green Bay, Mike McCarthy isn't Hue Jackson, he isn't Romeo Crennel, HE ISN'T FREDDIE KITCHENS. Let's go down the road less traveled by the Browns and just hire a real coach and see where it takes us.

Maybe we should consider anyone who has won a SB who is not now coaching...and who is still breathing:

John Fox

Mike Holmgren

Brian Billick

Tom Coughlin

George Seifert

Jimmy Johnson

Barry Switzer

McCarthy

Ditka

Tony Dungy

Don Shula

Bill Cowher

Joe Gibbs

Bill Parcells

Mike Shanahan

I originally thought McCarthy would be our coach, but that was before Dorsey left. I figured the connection between them would easily seal the deal, but now I'm not sure. 

First and foremost we need an offensive mind that can bring a talented staff adept at developing quarterbacks. The number one goal right now is the stabilization and improvement of Baker. We can't do a DAMN thing without him becoming a solid if not outstanding player. The truly scary aspect of Baker was not only his increased propensity to throw high, but also the prevalence of tunnel vision (locking on, predetermining receivers). 

When Bob Riley said Kitchens wasn't responsible for the offensive improvement last year and that it was mostly Zampese (I think), I figured it was sour grapes. After all, Kitchens was the OC, Baker obviously favored him, and Kitchens was calling the dang plays. Well, fast forward to now and there may be some truth to old Wiley. 

Kitchens wasn't ready to be a head coach and Dorsey should have known that. Maybe he WAS a solid OC, but apparently he needed more than 8 games to garner enough experience to make the leap to coach. It wasn't just the fact that Kitchens made mistakes, it was the fact he made the SAME mistakes multiple times. More than that, he made mistakes that casual fans wouldn't make, let alone NFL coaches. 

For example, we heard multiple times this year how the opposition was often ready for what we were running on offense. I don't follow other NFL teams too closely, but I don't remember hearing that about ANY other team. I read an article recently that laid out many of Kitchens' fatal flaws, and one of them was Kitchens running the same play back to back. He may have inverted the alignment, but defenses are too smart for that. One such example resulted in a safety, another a 4th down stop against the Seahawks. 

Some people like to say that Kitchens didn't run the ball enough, but that's not totally accurate. Kitchens MAIN problem was not knowing WHEN to run it. He was a MASTER at screwing up the clock, not getting it moving due to perpetual incomplete passes, and calling the wrong red zone plays. One game against Seattle he literally said the reason he didn't use more clock and run the ball was because he wanted to score quickly, force Russell Wilson to a 3 and out, and then score AGAIN before half. Local and national media were absolutely flummoxed by this, and it was at this specific time I began to have niggling seeds of doubt springing up in my mind. 

I was a proponent for bringing Kitchens back deep into the season, but my main reason for bringing him back was for continuity. After Kitchens made the same time management gaffe against the Ravens that he had against Seattle, I knew that continuity was NOT a good enough reason to bring him back. 

I'm sure most of you guys noticed, but we were so incredibly bad on BOTH offense and defense to end the year that it wasn't even funny. Teams like the Cardinals and Bengals basically moved the ball at will against us, and we gave up like 4 or 5 drives of 5-6 minutes against these teams per GAME. I hardly remember seeing the opposition's PUNTER in the last 4 or 5 games. We couldn't stop the run. Couldn't rush the passer. And couldn't get off the field on 3rd down. It was extremely pathetic, and this is just the defense. 

Offensively, we got a LITTLE better with Kareem Hunt, especially in the red zone, but not dramatically better. We scored 15 points or LESS in 6 games this year. Yikes! Even when we did score our drives were clunky and laden with defensive penalties, timeouts, and riddled with negative plays. Throughout the season we never seemed to find a groove, and this was despite having relative health on the offensive side of the ball. We weren't explosive, we couldn't take advantage of play-action passing, and we were all too often predictable. 

Dorsey has to share in the blame of  the offense's woes too because he's the one who drafted and kept Calloway. He let go of Darren Fells, Duke Johnson, and Breshad Perriman. These aren't allstars, but they were integral pieces last year to our offense. Baker never found a rhythm with anyone this year except Landry, but even guys like Higgins fell off the map for whatever reason. The new coach AND the new GM will have to figure out ways to get players on the same page week in and week out, and we need to assemble a TEAM, not a collection of talent. 

I still think we're an attractive destination for people, and I believe we'll have a great chance to make impactful signings. This will be a very important year for many reasons and I'm excited to see who we bring in to save our asses. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

I originally thought McCarthy would be our coach, but that was before Dorsey left. I figured the connection between them would easily seal the deal, but now I'm not sure. 

First and foremost we need an offensive mind that can bring a talented staff adept at developing quarterbacks. The number one goal right now is the stabilization and improvement of Baker. We can't do a DAMN thing without him becoming a solid if not outstanding player. The truly scary aspect of Baker was not only his increased propensity to throw high, but also the prevalence of tunnel vision (locking on, predetermining receivers). 

When Bob Riley said Kitchens wasn't responsible for the offensive improvement last year and that it was mostly Zampese (I think), I figured it was sour grapes. After all, Kitchens was the OC, Baker obviously favored him, and Kitchens was calling the dang plays. Well, fast forward to now and there may be some truth to old Wiley. 

Kitchens wasn't ready to be a head coach and Dorsey should have known that. Maybe he WAS a solid OC, but apparently he needed more than 8 games to garner enough experience to make the leap to coach. It wasn't just the fact that Kitchens made mistakes, it was the fact he made the SAME mistakes multiple times. More than that, he made mistakes that casual fans wouldn't make, let alone NFL coaches. 

For example, we heard multiple times this year how the opposition was often ready for what we were running on offense. I don't follow other NFL teams too closely, but I don't remember hearing that about ANY other team. I read an article recently that laid out many of Kitchens' fatal flaws, and one of them was Kitchens running the same play back to back. He may have inverted the alignment, but defenses are too smart for that. One such example resulted in a safety, another a 4th down stop against the Seahawks. 

Some people like to say that Kitchens didn't run the ball enough, but that's not totally accurate. Kitchens MAIN problem was not knowing WHEN to run it. He was a MASTER at screwing up the clock, not getting it moving due to perpetual incomplete passes, and calling the wrong red zone plays. One game against Seattle he literally said the reason he didn't use more clock and run the ball was because he wanted to score quickly, force Russell Wilson to a 3 and out, and then score AGAIN before half. Local and national media were absolutely flummoxed by this, and it was at this specific time I began to have niggling seeds of doubt springing up in my mind. 

I was a proponent for bringing Kitchens back deep into the season, but my main reason for bringing him back was for continuity. After Kitchens made the same time management gaffe against the Ravens that he had against Seattle, I knew that continuity was NOT a good enough reason to bring him back. 

I'm sure most of you guys noticed, but we were so incredibly bad on BOTH offense and defense to end the year that it wasn't even funny. Teams like the Cardinals and Bengals basically moved the ball at will against us, and we gave up like 4 or 5 drives of 5-6 minutes against these teams per GAME. I hardly remember seeing the opposition's PUNTER in the last 4 or 5 games. We couldn't stop the run. Couldn't rush the passer. And couldn't get off the field on 3rd down. It was extremely pathetic, and this is just the defense. 

Offensively, we got a LITTLE better with Kareem Hunt, especially in the red zone, but not dramatically better. We scored 15 points or LESS in 6 games this year. Yikes! Even when we did score our drives were clunky and laden with defensive penalties, timeouts, and riddled with negative plays. Throughout the season we never seemed to find a groove, and this was despite having relative health on the offensive side of the ball. We weren't explosive, we couldn't take advantage of play-action passing, and we were all too often predictable. 

Dorsey has to share in the blame of  the offense's woes too because he's the one who drafted and kept Calloway. He let go of Darren Fells, Duke Johnson, and Breshad Perriman. These aren't allstars, but they were integral pieces last year to our offense. Baker never found a rhythm with anyone this year except Landry, but even guys like Higgins fell off the map for whatever reason. The new coach AND the new GM will have to figure out ways to get players on the same page week in and week out, and we need to assemble a TEAM, not a collection of talent. 

I still think we're an attractive destination for people, and I believe we'll have a great chance to make impactful signings. This will be a very important year for many reasons and I'm excited to see who we bring in to save our asses. 

Apparently Dorsey's presence was actually an obstacle to hiring Mcarthy. If he accepts the job he'll apparently team up with Elliot Wolf as his GM

Wiley was right not probably

I soured on Freddie from the very first game. I've watched all the opening games of the season and that was the most ill prepared team I witnessed. I had serious doubts he could fix it before the end of the season

Dorsey is a talent evaluator not a GM now proven with two failures at the job. He just collected talent and did not build a team. He also selected a DC coordinator whose scheme didn't match the players on the roster (eg Zone coverage with man CB's) and traded away Peppers (a player of that caliber was essential in Wilke's scheme). In addition to players you mentioned should've also kept Shelton, Ogbah and Nassib for depth.

According to Zac Jackson on the latest A to Z podcast, we're not an attractive destination due to the Haslams and a mediocre loudmouthed quarterback (paraphrasing, listen to actual quote yourself).

• Like 1

McCarthy would be a solid choice and one of the safest bets to help turn the team around IMO. There are some excellent offense and defensive coordinators available but we have seen before one can be an excellent offense or defense coordinator and strike out as a head coach. With Rivera going to the Redskins I'm hoping we can get McCarthy. (Looks like Rivera is wanting Browns DC  Steve Wilks to join him in Washington).

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/31/kevin-oconnell-steve-wilks-are-expected-to-join-ron-riveras-new-staff/

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

McCarthy would be a solid choice and one of the safest bets to help turn the team around IMO. There are some excellent offense and defensive coordinators available but we have seen before many times one can be an excellent offense or defense coordinator and strike out as a head coach. With Rivera going to the Redskins I'm hoping we can get McCarthy. (Looks like Rivera is wanting Browns DC  Steve Wilks to join him in Washington).

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/31/kevin-oconnell-steve-wilks-are-expected-to-join-ron-riveras-new-staff/

I just saw on ESPN that Rivera wants Jack Del Rio to be his DC

There is a guy who has not been mentioned at all and I do not know why ...... he is a great DC and former HC ..... he turned the Eagles D from one of the worst to a top 10 defense , make Jim Schwartz HC and add a young up and coming offensive talent like Mike LaFleur as OC ..... promote Eliot Wolf as GM and bingo ....... one thing Schwartz will bring is discipline ....he is known for it and will also eliminate the dumbass penalties...... we need someone with some HC experience and a disciplinarian 

• Like 1

He won a Super and then wore out his welcome.

he coached in GB for 12 years that says something.  how many coaches have we had in that time?

Just as his ability to connect and lead are important his staff picks and baker’s development are just as important for him to succeed here.

we can certainly do much worse 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

I disagree we need a LEADER and a guy that can unite personalities.  A SB pedigree a definite plus.  I think we have some tough millennial type personalities in the locker room that need a guy that has somewhat of a decorated background at the NFL level.  We have way too many guys that THINK they know how to win in the NFL

This guys needs to step up when the Discipline issues on and off the field come up.  

And then let this guy needs to select a O Coordinator and a QB whisperer (I agree the two most important spots with this team on the staff).   Hopefully an O coordinator that gives a two back O a look - we should center our offense around hunt and Chubb with play action shots downfield 

and this was unpopular when I said it on Dec. 1 but the defense quit.  They body language and effort said it all.  We have some talent but no doubt we need safeties and a downhill thumper at LB but we have some dudes on that side of the ball.  But we had a garbage scheme and guys that gave up.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

... this was unpopular when I said it on Dec. 1 but the defense quit.

And I still disagree...

Happy New Year!

2 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

and this was unpopular when I said it on Dec. 1 but the defense quit.  They body language and effort said it all.  We have some talent but no doubt we need safeties and a downhill thumper at LB but we have some dudes on that side of the ball.  But we had a garbage scheme and guys that gave up.  

I'd like to disagree with you but I can't. I realize we lost Myles Garrett and others, but watching teams like the Cardinals and Bengals drive up and down the field on us was unbearable. They quit. 

26 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

I'm all in on Kris Richard, new head coach. Not keen on McCarthy.

How many different threads is cal going to tell us this?

I think the over/under should be 5.5. I think it is up to 3. 

• Haha 2

On 12/31/2019 at 1:33 PM, hoorta said:

Him and Rodgers couldn't get along supposedly.... His last two seasons were less than stellar. As Tour pointed out- they went from 6-9 to 13-3 this year- essentially same team, without McCarthy. Something to consider. I'm totally ambivalent on hiring him.  

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Rogers also injured?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TopDawg31 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Rogers also injured?

Yes, he was in 2017. The Packers game was one of the closest near-wins the winless Browns had that year. Their QB was the Hunley kid from UCLA, I think that game. 

4 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

I think we have some tough millennial type personalities i

Almost every player in the NFL is a millennial.  So I have zero idea what this comment is supposed to mean.  Hell, Tom Brady is damn near in that generational group and he's 40.

re: McCarthy - dude needs to learn how to run the ball.   Had some decent tailbacks in Green Bay and never finished higher than 16th in rushing.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Almost every player in the NFL is a millennial.  So I have zero idea what this comment is supposed to mean.  Hell, Tom Brady is damn near in that generational group and he's 40.

re: McCarthy - dude needs to learn how to run the ball.   Had some decent tailbacks in Green Bay and never finished higher than 16th in rushing.

Correct me if I'm wrong tia, but it seemed to me like Green Bay back then ALWAYS had injury problems with their RBs. I remember watching their playoff games and they seemingly always were on their 4th string RB. 

Just now, Dutch Oven said:

Correct me if I'm wrong tia, but it seemed to me like Green Bay back then ALWAYS had injury problems with their RBs. I remember watching their playoff games and they seemingly always were on their 4th string RB. 

IIRC, Ryan Grant played really well the year of their last superbowl run but was banged up the following year.  Then James Starks stepped in to provide some stability.   I guess my comment was more on the emphasis, or lack of, that I feel McCarthy put on the running game.   Felt Wisenhunt-ish at times.       

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, tiamat63 said:

IIRC, Ryan Grant played really well the year of their last superbowl run but was banged up the following year.  Then James Starks stepped in to provide some stability.   I guess my comment was more on the emphasis, or lack of, that I feel McCarthy put on the running game.   Felt Wisenhunt-ish at times.       

Yeah, the more I think about it, they did pass A LOT. I recall announcers talking about how they used their short passing game "as their running attack" often. 

52 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Yes, he was in 2017. The Packers game was one of the closest near-wins the winless Browns had that year. Their QB was the Hunley kid from UCLA, I think that game. 

ya i lost money on that game while i was in Vegas I mean everyone laughed at me for making that bet I hung my head in shame