THE BROWNS BOARD

Next man up

Westside Steve

I think Amazon has let Santa go. Worth a shot. World Champ for many decades and has been dealing with clowns and circuses while rebuilding with Erector sets. And God knows most of the fans here need new Erection Sets.👨‍🏭🗼😜

We need to get this right this time. My recommendation is find a head coach with a proven track record of winning in the NFL. They are out there. One known to be a disciplinarian would be nice. Hire that coach then be prepared to stay the distance through the good times and bad. Have some goals for the team, a vision for the team of where you want to go long term. Get a plan and stick with it. We already know what doesn't work (blowing things up every 1-2 years).

13 hours ago, The Gipper said:

You, then, have your teeth into BBs dick so tight that you cannot stomach any criticism of him....ergo, you ignore his  4 out of 5 losing seasons here...and his  36-44 record here in Cleveland...

BB was certainly NOT my favorite Browns coach. However, he was building something after turning over the roster from the Bud Carson years. His biggest problem here was cutting the icon Kosar, and his (still) reluctant tone with the media.

Years pass, we look at things from a different perspective. Yeah, he's shady, most likely a cheater. But he somehow has a knack for recognizing football players and their skill set in a salary cap era, that no one else seems to do as well.

#1 defense in 1994, just couldn't beat Pittsburgh. Then, well, you know....

3 hours ago, OldBrownsFan said:

We need to get this right this time. My recommendation is find a head coach with a proven track record of winning in the NFL. They are out there. One known to be a disciplinarian would be nice. Hire that coach then be prepared to stay the distance through the good times and bad. Have some goals for the team, a vision for the team of where you want to go long term. Get a plan and stick with it. We already know what doesn't work (blowing things up every 1-2 years).

Bring the candidates in. Show them a 1986 highlight tape.

Show them proper CB technique, Dixon & Minnifield. Show them Clay Matthews, Mike Johnson, Felix Wright.

Show them how Marty took Puzzoli off the field on 3rd and 19, went prevent for 98 yards. 

Show them Mack & Byner. Show them what a slant pattern is, to WebStar. 

Show them the Ice Cube on kick returns.

Show them a 1994 highlight tape. Show them the fundamentals of tackling. Show them fundamentals of play-action, play fakes. Show them Metcalf's two punt returns vs Pitt in 1993.

Show them the passion Cleveland has for football.

If the candidate(s) balk at any of this, they're OUT. IT'S NOT THAT HARD my goodness I just don't get it. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

NFL Network just flashed that we have asked permission to interview him.

Coming off an 11-5 season... and a Wild Card win... in '95 we were 4-5 when The Move was officially announced (rumors had surfaced earlier) and all the energy was drained out of the franchise.

Anyone who thinks Bill failed in CLE is channeling their inner Modell...

Jump, Gip... JUMP!

9 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Coming off an 11-5 season... and a Wild Card win... in '95 we were 4-5 when The Move was officially announced (rumors had surfaced earlier) and all the energy was drained out of the franchise.

Anyone who thinks Bill failed in CLE is channeling their inner Modell...

Jump, Gip... JUMP!

All I can do is to go by the record.    4 out of 5 losing seasons.    A 36-44 record.   Those are just the facts.

Maybe you are so shell shocked by the poor records of the coaches we have had since then, that that looks like success to you. 

Or maybe, I see,  you are going by what "could have been".....IF Modell had not made his moves....IF the Browns franchise had not been put on hiatus...IF he and the team had still been here....he could have ultimately made this a winning, successful franchise.    Or maybe you think that because he won one playoff game here, that alone made him a success here.   Or maybe you are thinking that  "well...he has been so successful elsewhere...he must have been good here.".    What coulda/shoulda/woulda is all that is.    Did Modell sabotage that future potential?  Sure...I believe that....I said that.  woulda/coulda/shoulda.... What was, however, is  36-44, 4 out of 5 losing seasons.  

So....who are we talking to?  From above,  It seems:

Josh McDaniels

Robert Saleh

Greg Roman

Those sound good.

Who else?

Who NOT:     Rivera....as he seems set to go with  Redskins.  Is there anyone else that it seems clear that the Browns FO is rejecting (not who you or I would reject). 

7 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Josh McDaniels

Robert Saleh

Greg Roman

Those sound good.

Who else?

Who NOT:     Rivera....as he seems set to go with  Redskins.  Is there anyone else that it seems clear that the Browns FO is rejecting (not who you or I would reject). 

this needs its own thread 

Cleveland: Fired Freddie Kitchens on December 29. Requested permission to interview Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels. Requested permission to interview Ravens offensive coordinator Greg Roman. Requested permission to interview 49ers defensive coordinator Robert Saleh. Plan to interview former Packers head coach Mike McCarthy, along with bringing Vikings offensive coordinator Kevin Stefanski back again this year.  from PFT  also being reported that talks with Rivera and the skins have slowed

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/132705-shanahan-confirms-49ers-defensive-coordinator-robert-interview-browns/

Saleh to interview.

He looks  "mixed race"  which I assume means that his interview would comply with the Rooney Rule....if nothing else.

Or, actually, based on his name and appearance, he could be "middle eastern".    He is from Dearborn Mich.   which has a large population of mid-eastern descent. 

I mean, I don't really care....it is the NFL with its Rooney rule that requires the inquiry into race/racial background.   

2 hours ago, ATOM said:

Cleveland: Fired Freddie Kitchens on December 29.

1. Requested permission to interview Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels.
  2. Requested permission to interview Ravens offensive coordinator Greg Roman.
  3. Requested permission to interview 49ers defensive coordinator Robert Saleh.
  4. Plan to interview former Packers head coach Mike McCarthy,
  5. along with bringing Vikings offensive coordinator Kevin Stefanski back again this year. 
  6. from PFT  also being reported that talks with Rivera and the skins have slowed

Rappoport just said we have made 7 or 8 requests to talk to other teams staff... so missing a couple...

Can you say cast a wide net?

• Haha 1

Seems like we did this wide net thing back when Jimmah was cutting his NFL teeth (which we are still waiting to come in...).

And IIRC we ended up with Chud...

Meanwhile things seem to be dragging in DC to the delight of at least one columnist...

"... if you take that 15-1 season off Rivera’s ledger, he went 61-62-1 in seven-plus seasons in Carolina, with only two other winning seasons — all with the benefit of working for a stable organization with a franchise quarterback."

https://wtop.com/sports-columns/2019/12/column-redskins-already-blowing-clean-slate-with-rivera/

Awesome...

21 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I think Amazon has let Santa go. Worth a shot. World Champ for many decades and has been dealing with clowns and circuses while rebuilding with Erector sets. And God knows most of the fans here need new Erection Sets.👨‍🏭🗼😜

Yes Pfizer makes those for people our age.

WSS

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Josh McDaniels

Robert Saleh

Greg Roman

Those sound good.

Who else?

Well we really don't know who they would reject my guess is somebody who's going to want complete autonomy which I don't think Dorsey will be willing to give up if Dorsey is still at the helm. That's why my guest leaves slightly toward McCarthy because they are friends.

(Just complete and utter speculation pipedream whatever, I wondered what would happen if we bring back Williams and ask Freddieif he would go back to offensive coordinator?)

But I don't think McDaniels or Roman are responsible for any of the success there teams have had, just right place right time. As for Saleh who knows? Maybe a little bit of sharia law would cut down on penalties and mistakes? 😂

WSS

On 12/29/2019 at 9:56 PM, Tour2ma said:

Not to mention that we don't have a Jackson on our roster... of course that's fixable if we draft Hurts... and/or sign Kaep 😱

Hey at least that would draw the attention of the media looking for controversy away from the other 52 men on the roster along with the front office and coaching staff. Kind of like keeping a big pile of horseshit in your backyard to keep the flies off the picnic table. 😁

WSS

17 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Read his last name and noticed that he's from Dearborn. Probably Lebanese or some other Middle Eastern.

WSS