THE BROWNS BOARD

Next man up

Westside Steve

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/browns-coaching-candidates-replacements-freddie-kitchens/gmw0ohcgryug17ahn6mv9cqtt

I'm sure there are a thousand of these speculation pieces from clickbait.com.

I would grudgingly lean toward McCarthy.  I would steer away from picking off any more fruit from the Belichick tree. That winds up like hiring Bill Wyman and wondering why your band isn't as good as the Rolling Stones.

WSS

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

Greg Roman is interesting 

He just directed the offense that got the most yards rushing in history  (16 games).   He ought to know what to do with Hunt/Chubb.  Though we don't have a Lamar Jackson.....he should probably manage.

Speaking of which....why had we not been using D'Ernest Johnson to return kicks instead of the useless Hilliard.   Roman could get some use out of Johnson I bet. 

3 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

I've also heard talk of some assistant coach from the Saints?

WSS

yeah Patterson.. that guy is great...

1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

He just directed the offense that got the most yards rushing in history  (16 games).   He ought to know what to do with Hunt/Chubb.  Though we don't have a Lamar Jackson.....he should probably manage.

Speaking of which....why had we not been using D'Ernest Johnson to return kicks instead of the useless Hilliard.   Roman could get some use out of Johnson I bet. 

his name has been brought up several times in the past 

5 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/browns-coaching-candidates-replacements-freddie-kitchens/gmw0ohcgryug17ahn6mv9cqtt

I'm sure there are a thousand of these speculation pieces from clickbait.com.

I would grudgingly lean toward McCarthy.  I would steer away from picking off any more fruit from the Belichick tree. That winds up like hiring Bill Wyman and wondering why your band isn't as good as the Rolling Stones.

WSS

would love it...but he is too smart....he sees our shitty owner and gm.....he''s tooooo old for that shit.....but man he would be my hire too if things were aligned properly....

10 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I already listed all those names and more.   

The problem with your analogy is that when we hired BB, he ended up like he was Craig Ryan playing bass, but after he left he ended up performing like Paul McCartney. 

Nice job missing the point as usual. Fruit from the Belichick tree means guys like Romeo Crennel not Belichick himself. That might also include Josh McDaniel who who I don't trust in the first place and don't care if he's from next door or not.

WSS

12 minutes ago, browns52 said:

would love it...but he is too smart....he sees our shitty owner and gm.....he''s tooooo old for that shit.....but man he would be my hire too if things were aligned properly....

Well if you were being serious about his age he's only in his fifties... But I can't imagine he would have any hard feelings with Dorsey? And I to fear that Haslam and his dumbass wife will fuck up this opportunity.

WSS

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Westside Steve said:

Nice job missing the point as usual. Fruit from the Belichick tree means guys like Romeo Crennel not Belichick himself. That might also include Josh McDaniel who who I don't trust in the first place and don't care if he's from next door or not.

WSS

I didn't miss the point that was all too obvious. (don't trust BB assts.).....  why would I need to repeat the obvious?  (but note....two of BBs asst's have their teams in the playoffs.....including Bill O'Brien and  Vrabel....so how do they fit into your point? )

So, I just decided to make my own point. 

That point being that a number of coaches have gone from failure at one job.....to success at another job....including BB himself clearly. 

4 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I didn't miss the point that was all too obvious. (don't trust BB assts.).....  why would I need to repeat the obvious?  (but note....two of BBs asst's have their teams in the playoffs.....including Bill O'Brien and  Vrabel....so how do they fit into your point? )

So, I just decided to make my own point. 

That point being that a number of coaches have gone from failure at one job.....to success at another job....including BB himself clearly. 

Urf urf urf urf urf urf urf.

WSS

• Haha 1

Wait.... Belichick was a failure in Cleveland?

I'd prefer a D-minded HCs so put me down for Rivera over McCarthy if we are shopping for retreads this time around, but...

... I really dislike retread shopping.

Also not into hiring college HCs.

The SF DC, Saleh, interests me. https://www.49ers.com/video/robert-saleh-defensive-coordinator-49ers-seahawks-russell-wilson-marshawn-lynch

For you Roman fans... here's his preseason presser. I've heard worse... https://www.baltimoreravens.com/video/greg-roman-is-excited-about-ravens-offensive-potential

10 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

don't waste your time with the Gipper he's talking out his ass.

I'd prefer a D-minded HCs so put me down for Rivera over McCarthy if we are shopping for retreads this time around, but...

either way I'd hope they have an autonomous D or O coordinator but I'd still rather have McCarthy.

I wonder if there are any actual stats hun whether there has been more success which retreads college coaches or coordinators?

still have the teeth marks on my ass from the Butch Davis deal.

The SF DC, Saleh, interests me. https://www.49ers.com/video/robert-saleh-defensive-coordinator-49ers-seahawks-russell-wilson-marshawn-lynch

For you Roman fans... here's his preseason presser. I've heard worse... https://www.baltimoreravens.com/video/greg-roman-is-excited-about-ravens-offensive-potential

I probably give the Baltimore front office a lot more credit just because that team is loaded and have almost 0 injuries which make Jackson seemed a lot better than he probably is.

WSS

2 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

I probably give the Baltimore Print office a lot more credit just because that team is loaded and have almost 0 injuries which make Jackson seemed a lot better than he probably is.

Not to mention that we don't have a Jackson on our roster... of course that's fixable if we draft Hurts... and/or sign Kaep 😱

9 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

In terms of W-L...yes.   He was here 5 years, had a losing record in 4 of them.  What would you call that?   Were there extenuating circumstances? Sure..   Was he doing better until sabotaged by Modell?  Sure.   But these are just the facts, ma'am:

Definitely someone to look at...as I said. 

Well, you have to be a fan of what he has done as OC in Baltimore this year....fair to say? 

Here are the facts that I found in my ass:   

either way I'd hope they have an autonomous D or O coordinator but I'd still rather have McCarthy.

I wonder if there are any actual stats hun whether there has been more success which retreads college coaches or coordinators?

Why do you ask...since...per your comments on the BB situation here....stats you are shown don't matter to you?

BB was a retread....his stats as a retread are obviously outstanding. 

16 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Here are the facts that I found in my ass:   

Why do you ask...since...per your comments on the BB situation here....stats you are shown don't matter to you?

BB was a retread....his stats as a retread are obviously outstanding. 

Stfu,the grown-ups are talking. You were just spewing shit out of your blowhole because you didn't understand the original post.

And you don't even know who you're talking to here either.

😂

WSS

Just now, Westside Steve said:

Stfu,the grown-ups are talking. You were just spewing shit out of your blowhole because you didn't understand the original post.

😂

WSS

Sorry you can't keep up with an argument/ line of reasoning. I understood the original point perfectly:  better than you understood your own point. 

You said you would be weary of hiring Josh McDaniels because he is "fruit of the Belichick" tree.   I said I understood your reservation... you cited Romeo, .but, I pointed out that both Bill O'Brien and Mike Vrabel....both of whom have their teams in the playoffs, are fruit of the BB tree.

Then the question with Tour turned to whether or not he, or you or we should have confidence in a retread coach.  He seems to have reservations.....you seemed not to because you indicated that  you would be willing to  flow with McCarthy.    

You, then, have your teeth into BBs dick so tight that you cannot stomach any criticism of him....ergo, you ignore his  4 out of 5 losing seasons here...and his  36-44 record here in Cleveland......but I did point out that BB, being a "retread"....is the prime example of perhaps hiring a retread may not be a bad idea.   You used  the BB  coaching tree failures as a reason to not  hire Josh McDaniels.

What went unsaid in that....by me, or others, is that  both of your objection to McDaniels can be countered by the above facts:   A.  O'Brien and Vrabel....both BB trainees are having current success; and B.  BB himself was a retread, just like McDaniels would be after his failure in Denver. 

Ergo, I would not, personally, reject McDaniels for the reasons you espouse. 

While past history has not been kind to BB disciples:  Romeo/ Charlie Weis/McDaniels in his first go around.  And Al Groh, Mangini,  Jim Schwartz and a couple of others  (Saban as an NFL coach, Patricia).....have not done so well..... a couple have done well.  

So, in principle, I am open to McDaniels.   The things that bother me more is the Indianapolis situation...and the fact that he may in fact be the heir apparent to BB in New England.   And, if that is the case, he needs to take himself out of the running up front, and not even accept interviews from other teams. 

First I think we can all rest easy because I don't think that Billy B. won't be coming back to Cleveland any time soon -but- that doesn't mean that I wouldn't consider one of his staff if I thought they could be what the BROWNS needed in a new HC.

AND as far as Billy B's record in Cleveland as HC it was far better than before and after he had the job and if you think our Brownies are bad now they were bad back then too.

And remember most things in life are relative.  ;)

Screenshot_2019-12-29_224823.jpg

Anyway....here is that fairly comprehensive list of possible candidates, reprinted here from another thread:

Names, per Sports Ilustrated

Robert Saleh, 

Eric Bieniemy, 

Briann Daboll

Greg Roman

Kevin Stefanski

Josh McDaniel

Kellen Moore

Kris Richard

Bret Bielema

Shane Waldron

Nick Sirianni

Dave Toub

Mike Groh

Press Taylor

Mike McCarthy

Ron Rivera

Mike McDaniel

Byron Leftwich

Mike Kafka

Leslie Frazier

Lincoln Riley

Matt Rhule 

Urban Meyer

Dan Mullen

Dan Martindale

53 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Anyway....here is that fairly comprehensive list of possible candidates, reprinted here from another thread:

Line through guys I would not really care to see:   Others are ones that I would consider....or, more likely, ones I really know nothing much about.

Robert Saleh, 

Eric Bieniemy, 

Briann Daboll

Greg Roman

Kevin Stefanski

Josh McDaniel

Kellen Moore

Kris Richard

Bret Bielema

Shane Waldron

Nick Sirianni

Dave Toub

Mike Groh

Press Taylor

Mike McCarthy

Ron Rivera

Mike McDaniel

Byron Leftwich

Mike Kafka

Leslie Frazier

Lincoln Riley

Matt Rhule 

Urban Meyer

Dan Mullen

Dan Martindale

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Sorry you can't keep up with an argument/ line of reasoning. I understood the original point perfectly:  better than you understood your own point. 

You said you would be weary of hiring Josh McDaniels because he is "fruit of the Belichick" tree.   I said I understood your reservation... you cited Romeo, .but, I pointed out that both Bill O'Brien and Mike Vrabel....both of whom have their teams in the playoffs, are fruit of the BB tree.

Then the question with Tour turned to whether or not he, or you or we should have confidence in a retread coach.  He seems to have reservations.....you seemed not to because you indicated that  you would be willing to  flow with McCarthy.    

You, then, have your teeth into BBs dick so tight that you cannot stomach any criticism of him....ergo, you ignore his  4 out of 5 losing seasons here...and his  36-44 record here in Cleveland......but I did point out that BB, being a "retread"....is the prime example of perhaps hiring a retread may not be a bad idea.   You used  the BB  coaching tree failures as a reason to not  hire Josh McDaniels.

What went unsaid in that....by me, or others, is that  both of your objection to McDaniels can be countered by the above facts:   A.  O'Brien and Vrabel....both BB trainees are having current success; and B.  BB himself was a retread, just like McDaniels would be after his failure in Denver. 

Ergo, I would not, personally, reject McDaniels for the reasons you espouse. 

While past history has not been kind to BB disciples:  Romeo/ Charlie Weis/McDaniels in his first go around.  And Al Groh, Mangini,  Jim Schwartz and a couple of others  (Saban as an NFL coach, Patricia).....have not done so well..... a couple have done well.  

So, in principle, I am open to McDaniels.   The things that bother me more is the Indianapolis situation...and the fact that he may in fact be the heir apparent to BB in New England.   And, if that is the case, he needs to take himself out of the running up front, and not even accept interviews from other teams. 

hahahhahaha  you said ergo

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Actually if he's special teams coach did John Dorsey had more to do with that than anybody, he's the guy that drafted two Pro bowl-caliber kickers.

WSS

I'm not complaining about them, but the kickers had nothing to do with all the penalties we previously had on our return teams. Priefer ran the most disciplined unit (by far) on the Browns.

Mike

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Robert Saleh, 

Eric Bieniemy, 

Briann Daboll

Greg Roman

Kevin Stefanski

Josh McDaniel

Kellen Moore

Kris Richard

Bret Bielema

Shane Waldron

Nick Sirianni

Dave Toub

Mike Groh

Press Taylor

Mike McCarthy

Ron Rivera

Mike McDaniel

Byron Leftwich

Mike Kafka

Leslie Frazier

Lincoln Riley

Matt Rhule 

Urban Meyer

Dan Mullen

Dan Martindale

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:High_school_football_coaches_in_Ohio

I didn't know we were getting paid by the word but if so, and if the team is looking for a completely new start, check out these guys.

😂

WSS