THE BROWNS BOARD

Our Bet, Draft specuation

The Gipper

Larry  (Hoorta)  and I have a bet going.   A bottle of wine at stake.    I said that the Bengals  pick at #1 overall would be Chase Young DE OSU.  He says it will be Joe Burrows  QB LSU.   Straight forward enought no?

Well, not so fast my friend.    He and I need to clarify our bet a bit,   and here is why:

There was speculation on some ESPN radio programs that  the few teams behind  Cinci in the draft order could conduct a bidding war with Cinci for them to move up to that #1 pick.    Right now it could be that both the Giants, and Redskins, teams that chose their  QBs of the future just last year, may want to get into a competition for the rights to Chase Young.

Lets say arguendo that Hoorta is right.....the Bengals do want  Burrows....BUT, that does NOT mean that they have to have him at  the #1 spot.   Let's suppose they are talking to both the Giants and Skins who both want Young  (and the analysts involved in this conversation said they DO both want Young.)   What would they give the Bengals for the #1 pick.  The Giants  who have #2 cannot just sit back and wait for the Bengals to take Burrows....as what if the Bengals say they are willing to trade  the pick to the Skins?  Then the Giants lose out.   The Giants  could/should turn around and say:  "Cinci, we will give you our #2 pick, plus X additional compensation  to switch spots with us".    What should they ask for in addition?

Or...let's say that the Bengals do a deal with the the Redskins, who have #3......getting that #3 plus more.  They could then say to NYG...HA!  We are letting your divisional rival Redskins have Young, and we still get Burrows.     But...in that case.....NYG could say:  "touche".....we trade #2 to Miami,  or Jacksonville..or the like...and you, Bitchy Pussies, lose out on both   Young AND Burrow because the (Fins..or Jags)  are taking Burrow. 

A very interesting scenario.  Fair to say.  

But, back to the bet.    We both assumed that the bet involved whether Cinci would take Young or  Burrow.    We did not factor in if the pick would be traded to someone else?    What say you Hoorta?

I am willing to stick to the proposition:   Chase Young, No Matter What!   Be it the Bangles/Giants/Redskins  etc....he is #1.     

I will take the pulse of the collective here:   IF the Bengals move the pick to another team......should the bet be off? 

I just realized another kicker that is an issue:   

In fact, the Giants have "fallen" into the #4 spot...behind the Skins at #2 and the Lions at 3.     I am sure the Lions would certainly like to have Young....but...would they possibly want   Burrows?     Matt Stafford I would say has pretty much underperformed....from a won/loss standpoint, if not from a statistical standpoint his whole career.   Would the Lions want to move on from Stafford?  And would they be in the mix in this bidding war, if it were to take place? 

If the Bengals like Burrow they will not make a trade.  And if they see something they don’t like you turn the card in for Young. 

And If they got too greedy I would expect some QB starving team to jump ahead of them should they move out of the Top spot and try to take Burrow later. 

The only way the Bengals lose this draft is if they miss out on a chance for either Burrow or Young.

1 minute ago, SdBacker80 said:

If the Bengals like Burrow they will not make a trade.  And if they see something they don’t like you turn the card in for Young. 

And If they got too greedy I would expect some QB starving team to jump ahead of them should they move out of the Top spot and try to take Burrow later. 

The only way the Bengals lose this draft is if they miss out on a chance for either Burrow or Young.

Well...they ARE the Bengals.

11 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

True 
And we are the Browns.
must be an Ohio thing. 

If you Recall the whole trade down and still get your QB a couple years ago.

For the Browns?  No, I don't recall that at all.   We took Mayfield #1.  Or are you talking about the year they took DeShone Kizer? 

16 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I said that the Bengals  pick at #1 overall would be Chase Young DE OSU.  He says it will be Joe Burrows  QB LSU.   Straight forward enought no?

Yes its straight forward. You said it yourself the Bengals will draft Young at number 1. If your bet was chase young will be the number 1 pick and he said Burrow then trades don't matter.  However you said Bengals at number 1. If the Bengals don't draft at 1 then the bet is void.  What if they trade down and still get burrow then you were right that young went first but Larry was right that the Bengals took burrow. How could you expect to be paid on that bet when both were half right? 

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

Yes its straight forward. You said it yourself the Bengals will draft Young at number 1. If your bet was chase young will be the number 1 pick and he said Burrow then trades don't matter.  However you said Bengals at number 1. If the Bengals don't draft at 1 then the bet is void.  What if they trade down and still get burrow then you were right that young went first but Larry was right that the Bengals took burrow. How could you expect to be paid on that bet when both were half right? 

Well yeah that’s my question should the bet continue if the pick is traded. 

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

No the bet should not continue. 

18 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I am willing to stick to the proposition:   Chase Young, No Matter What!   Be it the Bangles/Giants/Redskins  etc....he is #1.     

The original proposition was the Bengals draft young at 1 vs the Bengals draft burrow at 1. Not young will be drafted at 1 vs Burrow will be drafted at 1. So you're statement above isn't sticking to the original proposition.  Its changing the original proposition. 

17 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I just realized another kicker that is an issue:   

In fact, the Giants have "fallen" into the #4 spot...behind the Skins at #2 and the Lions at 3.     I am sure the Lions would certainly like to have Young....but...would they possibly want   Burrows?     Matt Stafford I would say has pretty much underperformed....from a won/loss standpoint, if not from a statistical standpoint his whole career.   Would the Lions want to move on from Stafford?  And would they be in the mix in this bidding war, if it were to take place? 

You can just can the speculation on Stafford. (pun intended.) Matt is going nowhere in 2020- not with a $31 million cap hit albatross. Washington, Lions, and Giants will all be desirous of getting Young. MHO is trade speculation starts at the #2 pick. Oh, the Redskins will just sit at #2 and take Young- no one is jumping ahead of them to take Chase, that would only happen to take a QB- and I don't see any realistic trade that would have the Bengals trading down and missing out on the chance to get Joe

55 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I'll let you off if the Bengals decide to trade the pick, but it's a damn near certainty they won't. Not with Esiason giving Joe a Bengals helmet on the NFL Today pregame. And if you want any more proof you're gonna lose this bet, intrepid Cincinnati marketeers are already hawking unlicensed Burrow jerseys.  https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/12/23/joe-burrow-bengals-jersey-nfl-draft/

There'd be an uprising in Bungledom if the Bungles take anyone but Joe. I've seen some draft rags calling Burrow the best qb prospect since Andrew Luck. Walter is a little less effusive in his praise, but still considers him the lock #1 pick...

"It's clear by now that Ryan Finley is not the long-term answer, so the Bengals will want to select a franchise quarterback with the top pick in the 2020 NFL Draft. Tua Tagovailoa is no longer the option because of his devastating injury, but it doesn't even matter anymore, based on what Joe Burrow has accomplished.
Burrow has improved exponentially, and he's now the no-brainer No. 1 overall selection."

The only way the Bengals don't take Joe is in the unfortunate event he suffers a catastrophic injury in the College Playoffs.  

3 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

No the bet should not continue. 

The original proposition was the Bengals draft young at 1 vs the Bengals draft burrow at 1. Not young will be drafted at 1 vs Burrow will be drafted at 1. So you're statement above isn't sticking to the original proposition.  Its changing the original proposition. 

Gipper likes to confuse the issues- especially because it looks like he's going to lose the bet.  :D  :D  :D 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, hoorta said:

Gipper likes to confuse the issues- especially because it looks like he's going to lose the bet.  :D  :D  :D 

Yeah barring injury Burrow is going to be selected number 1. That hometown kid thing is really going to solidify it with the fanbase also. Which if the redskins select second and take young he'll be going back home also. 

Just now, bjh2130 said:

Yeah barring injury Burrow is going to be selected number 1. That hometown kid thing is really going to solidify it with the fanbase also. Which if the redskins select second and take young he'll be going back home also. 

Well, he's really not a hometown kid- not in the sense Trubisky would have been if the Browns had drafted him. Athens is over 100 miles from Cinci- but he is an OHIO kid, having played at Ohio State. 

On 12/23/2019 at 6:02 AM, The Gipper said:

For the Browns?  No, I don't recall that at all.   We took Mayfield #1.  Or are you talking about the year they took DeShone Kizer? 

Yeah because it didn’t happen although fans wanted us to trade down.

if a team finds their guy at QB and the player is there ...we have a long history of teams not tempting fate and trading down they just take their guy.  

On 12/23/2019 at 2:11 PM, hoorta said:

You can just can the speculation on Stafford. (pun intended.) Matt is going nowhere in 2020- not with a $31 million cap hit albatross. Washington, Lions, and Giants will all be desirous of getting Young. MHO is trade speculation starts at the #2 pick. Oh, the Redskins will just sit at #2 and take Young- no one is jumping ahead of them to take Chase, that would only happen to take a QB- and I don't see any realistic trade that would have the Bengals trading down and missing out on the chance to get Joe

I'll let you off if the Bengals decide to trade the pick, but it's a damn near certainty they won't. Not with Esiason giving Joe a Bengals helmet on the NFL Today pregame. And if you want any more proof you're gonna lose this bet, intrepid Cincinnati marketeers are already hawking unlicensed Burrow jerseys.  https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/12/23/joe-burrow-bengals-jersey-nfl-draft/

There'd be an uprising in Bungledom if the Bungles take anyone but Joe. I've seen some draft rags calling Burrow the best qb prospect since Andrew Luck. Walter is a little less effusive in his praise, but still considers him the lock #1 pick...

"It's clear by now that Ryan Finley is not the long-term answer, so the Bengals will want to select a franchise quarterback with the top pick in the 2020 NFL Draft. Tua Tagovailoa is no longer the option because of his devastating injury, but it doesn't even matter anymore, based on what Joe Burrow has accomplished.
Burrow has improved exponentially, and he's now the no-brainer No. 1 overall selection."

The only way the Bengals don't take Joe is in the unfortunate event he suffers a catastrophic injury in the College Playoffs.  

Actually,  I would be the one letting YOU  off....because  I say "Young, no matter what"  at #1,   be it Bengals,  Giants, Redskins whomever.  

Maybe we should wait and see if the Bitchy Pussies do the trade before determining if the bet is off...for, if they don't  the suggestion of  letting the bet go is superfluous.    I only brought it up because it was brought up on the radio.....and it does provide a subject for some interesting speculation.

Fair to say?

I agree that by the Bengals trading  the #1 pick, the original proposition is changed.   We/I never thought about the possibility of the Bengals trading down until I heard it stated on the radio. 

On 12/23/2019 at 2:18 PM, hoorta said:

Well, he's really not a hometown kid- not in the sense Trubisky would have been if the Browns had drafted him. Athens is over 100 miles from Cinci- but he is an OHIO kid, having played at Ohio State. 

Chase Young is a Hyattsville DeMatha Product....from Maryland.    So maybe that would be an incentive for the Redskins to try to get him....he would be a home town product for them.

On 12/23/2019 at 2:18 PM, hoorta said:

I think today's players are more concerned with going to a winner -or- maybe just the big numbers.

Screenshot_2019-12-24_174750.jpg

9 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Actually,  I would be the one letting YOU  off....because  I say "Young, no matter what"  at #1,   be it Bengals,  Giants, Redskins whomever.  

Maybe we should wait and see if the Bitchy Pussies do the trade before determining if the bet is off...for, if they don't  the suggestion of  letting the bet go is superfluous.    I only brought it up because it was brought up on the radio.....and it does provide a subject for some interesting speculation.

Fair to say?

Bull, I  said Burrow  #1  to the Bengals, you're  the one trying to muddy the  waters. 

Now you're  trying to  throw  some trade crap in there? I was PERFECTLY  clear what I  meant.  And Young ISN'T  going to the Bengals at #1 regardless. Care to double down?

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

Bull, I  said Burrow  #1  to the Bengals, you're  the one trying to muddy the  waters. 

Now you're  trying to  throw  some trade crap in there? I was PERFECTLY  clear what I  meant.  And Young ISN'T  going to the Bengals at #1 regardless. Care to double down?

That’s right you said Burrow number one to the Bengals you didn’t say Burrow number two or number three or number four.

5 hours ago, The Gipper said:

That’s right you said Burrow number one to the Bengals you didn’t say Burrow number two or number three or number four.

Gipper you are definitely trying to muddy the waters in your original post in here you said that Larry said the BENGALS would take burrow at 1 and you said the BENGALS would take young at 1. Seems to be the bet was made based on who the BENGALS would pick at 1 not just who the pick at number 1 would be. If you made that exact bet in vegas and the Bengals traded out of the number 1 pick the bet would be void.

59 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

Gipper you are definitely trying to muddy the waters in your original post in here you said that Larry said the BENGALS would take burrow at 1 and you said the BENGALS would take young at 1. Seems to be the bet was made based on who the BENGALS would pick at 1 not just who the pick at number 1 would be. If you made that exact bet in vegas and the Bengals traded out of the number 1 pick the bet would be void.

OK, fair enough.  I guess.   Like I said, my question was what should be the disposition of the bet if the Bengals traded the pick.    I only "muddied it up" because some national radio/tv guys  had a discussion about what would happen if the Bengals made a trade.

So, nothing is muddied until and unless that happens.   That is how I see it.    

On 12/25/2019 at 2:46 AM, hoorta said:

It's going to be Burrow unless they're fools. I REALLY like him, and I think he would have EASILY been the first pick in the 2018 draft. Limited time as a starter, but his pocket awareness translates so freaking well IMO. 

I'm officially terrified that Baker is ruined. You don't set rookie records and then all of the sudden start sucking. Something is going on and we all need to hope a new coaching staff can get him back on track. I wouldn't bet against Baker, but this entire season has been choppy as hell. Two steps forward, three backwards. He hasn't even feasted on the bad defenses, something he excelled at last year. I still believe in him, but let's be honest, next year will likely be the "put up or shut up" time of his young career. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

If I was Zombo I would change Gipper's handle to: 

Muddy Waters 

Well, like I said, I brought it up only because national media types did, and because, again, like I said,  I thought it could be an interesting subject for discussion :  the possibility of the Bengals trading the pick.    It could be that whether or not Hoorta and I had a bet going or not. It may be a bit premature now, but it was brought up elsewhere. 

Or, are you diametrically opposed to having any matter that can be an interesting subject for discussion brought up here? 

52 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Well, like I said, I brought it up only because national media types did, and because, again, like I said,  I thought it could be an interesting subject for discussion :  the possibility of the Bengals trading the pick.    It could be that whether or not Hoorta and I had a bet going or not. It may be a bit premature now, but it was brought up elsewhere. 

Or, are you diametrically opposed to having any matter that can be an interesting subject for discussion brought up here? 

Is it possible the Bengals would  entertain trading  the pick? Sure, anythings possible.  But  very, very unlikely they would  do  so. I've mentioned some  draft rags are putting  Joe on an Andrew Luck level of  talent, and the Colts  weren't  trading  out of #1 for Luck regardless of how silly the  offers  got. If Burrow shines in  the  playoffs,  and brings the  National championship to LSU, count on  the Bengals  asking  price for the  pick being  prohibitive.  :) It will be  at least three first round  picks & a lot more.  

& MHO that article suggesting a possible trade was just click bait, like Urban Meyer to the Browns level hot air.  

15 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Is it possible the Bengals would  entertain trading  the pick? Sure, anythings possible.  But  very, very unlikely they would  do  so. I've mentioned some  draft rags are putting  Joe on an Andrew Luck level of  talent, and the Colts  weren't  trading  out of #1 for Luck regardless of how silly the  offers  got. If Burrow shines in  the  playoffs,  and brings the  National championship to LSU, count on  the Bengals  asking  price for the  pick being  prohibitive.  :) It will be  at least three first round  picks & a lot more.  

OK, sure.  Like I said, forget that we have a bet going.....As I said,  this discussion on the radio involved a potential bidding war between the Redskins and Giants for the services of  Young.   IF  the Bengals hold still,  then the Redskins currently have the #2....and they would need to do nothing.  But, as mentioned, what if the Giants were willing to give up a host in order to jump the Skins.  

The difference between this situation and the LUck situation would be that there,  any team that was offering to trade with Indy was in order to  get Luck.  Here, the trade offers would not be to get the QB the Bengals may want, but another player.    The issue could be:  Can the Bengals  eat their cake and have it too:    Could they still get  Burrows...AND  get something very valuable in addition.   If the Bengals were shrewd (something they have never been accused of)...they could even say:   Washington, give us your number 2 pick plus  X,  in order that we do not trade down with NYG.   They get Burrows and X...whatever that may be. Their 2d round or 3rd round pick...or a future pick.