THE BROWNS BOARD

Ratbirds @ Browns Official Gameday thread

27 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

Freddie not taking the extra point there should be shown on repeat if he gets canned. The talent on this team is so evident, but coaching just brings it down.

no excuse.

edit: OBJ knows it too. 

First obj was not talking about going for two or kicking it lol.

Don't just listen to Romo and nantz. If you think about it going for two there makes sense.  You need a two point conversion regardless.  If you don't get it on either attempt it means you need an extra possession. When would you rather have that information?  With 8 minutes left so you can press a little bit more and go no huddle to make sure your have plenty of time for that 3rd possession or after the hypothetical second td where you weren't in a big rush because you don't want the opposing team to have much time let's say less than 2 minutes.  You are not more likely to get it on the 2nd hypothetical td than the first.  Literally it's the same odds either way.  The only difference is one way (going for it after 1st) you get info sooner and the sooner you know what you need there better off you are. 

Baker Mayfield 💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩

7 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

OBJ is rightly calling out shitty coaching decisions that have repeatedly cost this team a season. 

You want to bitch about Freddie bitch about 3rd and 1 halfback pass. Or a pass on 3rd and 10 with a minute left in half and no timeout for ravens which falls incomplete and stops the clock, giving them enough time to score another td. When running it gives them the ball back with 20 seconds and no timeout likely leading to 7-6 game at half.  Going for two down 9 is not some egregiously bad call. Like I said the sooner you know how many possessions you need the better. 

4 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

Don't just listen to Romo and nantz. Think for yourself.  You need a two point conversion regardless.  If you don't get it on either attempt it means you need an extra possession. When would you rather have that information?  With 8 minutes left so you can press a little bit more and go no huddle to make sure your have plenty of time for that 3rfd possession or after the hypothetical second td where you weren't in a big rush because you don't want the opposing team to have much time let's say less than 2 minutes.  You are not more likely to get it on the 2nd hypothetical td than the first.  Literally it's the same odds either way.  The only difference is one way (going for it after 1st) you get info sooner and the sooner you know what you need there better off you are. 

And we knew sooner because our tight end can't catch. 

1 minute ago, bjh2130 said:

You want to bitch about Freddie bitch about 3rd and 1 halfback pass. Or a pass on 3rd and 10 with a minute left in half and no timeout for ravens which falls incomplete and stops the clock, giving them enough time to score another td. When running it gives them the ball back with 20 seconds and no timeout likely leading to 7-6 game at half.  Going for two down 9 is not some egregiously bad call. Like I said the sooner you know how many possessions you need the better. 

Yes, it is. I don’t disagree but not going for two is a decision a high school coach wouldn’t have chewed on.

i guarantee if you polled 100 coaches 99 say kick the extra point. The only one who wouldn’t coaches this team.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

Yes, it is. I don’t disagree but not going for two is a decision a high school coach wouldn’t have chewed on.

i guarantee if you polled 100 coaches 99 say kick the extra point. The only one who wouldn’t coaches this team.

If you don't get it on either attempt it means you need an extra possession. When would you rather have that information?  With 8 minutes left so you can press a little bit more and go no huddle to make sure your have plenty of time for that 3rfd possession or after the hypothetical second td where you weren't in a big rush because you don't want the opposing team to have much time let's say less than 2 minutes.  You are not more likely to get it on the 2nd hypothetical td than the first.  Literally it's the same odds either way.  The only difference is one way (going for it after 1st) you get info sooner and the sooner you know what you need there better off you are. 

When would you rather know how many possessions you need? It doesn't increase your odds to go for it on the 2nd one.  There is literally no real benefit to waiting to go for it on the 2nd one.

Here's a little article on it and its not 99 out of 100. A majority do kick the pat but it's not the right call by the numbers and strategically. 

https://www.footballperspective.com/trailing-by-15-in-the-middle-of-the-4th-quarter-teams-are-foolish-to-not-go-for-2-after-touchdowns/

I particularly like this comparison

"In college football, in overtime, each team gets one possession at the opponent’s 25-yard line. It is obvious that playing defense first is advantageous, and every college team elects to play defense first if they win the overtime coin toss. Knowing whether you need 3 or 7 points to win (or tie) is valuable information. We have exactly the same situation going on here, but the desire to keep hope alive prevents coaches from acting rationally."

7 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

Don't just listen to Romo and nantz. Think for yourself.  You need a two point conversion regardless.  If you don't get it on either attempt it means you need an extra possession. When would you rather have that information?  With 8 minutes left so you can press a little bit more and go no huddle to make sure your have plenty of time for that 3rd possession or after the hypothetical second td where you weren't in a big rush because you don't want the opposing team to have much time let's say less than 2 minutes.  You are not more likely to get it on the 2nd hypothetical td than the first.  Literally it's the same odds either way.  The only difference is one way (going for it after 1st) you get info sooner and the sooner you know what you need there better off you are. 

who gives a shit....our creampuff lb's and dl would have collapsed like they did anyway......fucking pussies...cake eaters....etc.....

4 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

If you don't get it on either attempt it means you need an extra possession. When would you rather have that information?  With 8 minutes left so you can press a little bit more and go no huddle to make sure your have plenty of time for that 3rfd possession or after the hypothetical second td where you weren't in a big rush because you don't want the opposing team to have much time let's say less than 2 minutes.  You are not more likely to get it on the 2nd hypothetical td than the first.  Literally it's the same odds either way.  The only difference is one way (going for it after 1st) you get info sooner and the sooner you know what you need there better off you are. 

When would you rather know how many possessions you need? It doesn't increase your odds to go for it on the 2nd one.  There is literally no real benefit to waiting to go for it on the 2nd one.

The reason is extremely simple. Football is  the biggest momentum sport in the world, nothing even comes close. When you kick the extra point, it’s a one score game with 7 minutes left.

the defense comes out with a pep. The crowd gets into it. An offense, even as good as Baltimore, has that thought in the back of their mind every time they call a play. It’s as simple of a coaching decision there is to make really. I’m not trying to sound harsh to you but again, no competent coach ever takes the early 2 pt attempt. Like ever.

1 hour ago, browns52 said:

yeah.......he's going to be adjusted out of cleveland.....how bout dat....probably with a bunch of other coaches......another rebuild on da way folks...

hopefully Dorsey has been doing some back channel checks on a new coach so he can make a decision before the haslems have time to meddle

1 minute ago, jrb12711 said:

The reason is extremely simple. Football is  the biggest momentum sport in the world, nothing even comes close. When you kick the extra point, it’s a one score game with 7 minutes left.

the defense comes out with a pep. The crowd gets into it. An offense, even as good as Baltimore, has that thought in the back of their mind every time they call a play. It’s as simple of a coaching decision there is to make really. I’m not trying to sound harsh to you but again, no competent coach ever takes the early 2 pt attempt. Like ever.

I edited my post while you were responding I apologize. 

Steve spurrier is a pretty competent coach. 

Here's a little article on it and its not 99 out of 100. A majority do kick the pat but it's not the right call by the numbers and strategically. 

https://www.footballperspective.com/trailing-by-15-in-the-middle-of-the-4th-quarter-teams-are-foolish-to-not-go-for-2-after-touchdowns/

I particularly like this comparison

"In college football, in overtime, each team gets one possession at the opponent’s 25-yard line. It is obvious that playing defense first is advantageous, and every college team elects to play defense first if they win the overtime coin toss. Knowing whether you need 3 or 7 points to win (or tie) is valuable information. We have exactly the same situation going on here, but the desire to keep hope alive prevents coaches from acting rationally."

Cleveland Clowns 💩💩💩💩💩💩💩🤮💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩

8 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

Also you're acting as if the two point automatically fails because they tried it on the first td.  You still get all those advantages and more if two point is successful. Let's not forget pats arent automatic now either. It's the reason we were down 15 in the first place.  Seibert is right around 90% on pats 

3 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

Also you're acting as if the two point automatically fails because they tried it on the first td.  You still get all those advantages and more if two point is successful. Let's not forget pats arent automatic now either. 

Comparing situations in college football and the nfl is apples to oranges. Steve spurrier is honestly IMO one of the most overrated coaches in college football history too, if I’m being honest. Also, the man hasn’t coached in 20 or more years. 

look, I’m not going to change your mind but there’s a reason obj and several other players were barking at Freddie. I’d bet my literal house though what I’m saying would be the sentiment of the overwhelming majority of nfl head coaches 

9 minutes ago, ATOM said:

hopefully Dorsey has been doing some back channel checks on a new coach so he can make a decision before the haslems have time to meddle

GMs are rarely given a second chance to hire a coach when the first hire was a failure and in this case a resounding failure. Jimmy's going to go with DePodesta's recommendation this time so let's see how Dorsey reacts to that.

• Thanks 2