THE BROWNS BOARD

Ratbirds @ Browns Official Gameday thread

Just now, jiggins7919 said:

I literally can't stop laughing at our team. I hate that it's happening, but I have the game playing on my phone and I'm taking peeks at it, and I can't stop laughing. Lamar Jackson is everything that Baker Mayfield isn't. He can make every throw, run like the wind, and his teammates love him. Baker Mayfield couldn't complete a throw longer than 6 yards if he was given 3 tries and a mulligan. 

Sorry folks, but it's Tim Couch all over again, whilst another rival drafted the best QB in the draft. First it's Ben Ben for 15 years, and now it's going to be Lamar Jackson. 

I'm honestly still dying of laughter from the ridiculous trick play we ran on 3rd and 1 with 2 minutes to go. At that point we were up 6-0. Now down 14-6. Bwaaaaa! I really hope the crowd booed the team heading into the locker room. I don't have the volume on so I don't know what is happening. What I DO know is we're an absolute joke of a team, and at this point, we still don't have a quarterback. There's still time, but it's running out for Baker. 

14 points given up in 2 minutes and we did the dumbest trick play in history. Lololol. Gotta love our Brownies. Maybe we'll get another drive with two pass interference penalties so we can score again. Lmao. 

yipper....i see raven domination for many yrs to come....believe me this shitass team we have will be a last place team next yr......big ben ain't retiring any time soon....and the bengals will probably get that burrow kid who will probably turn out good....we are stuck with dumbass mayfield.....should have drafted wentz when we had the chance and built around him

2 minutes ago, browns52 said:

yipper....i see raven domination for many yrs to come....believe me this shitass team we have will be a last place team next yr......big ben ain't retiring any time soon....and the bengals will probably get that burrow kid who will probably turn out good....we are stuck with dumbass mayfield.....should have drafted wentz when we had the chance and built around him

Did someone say Baker Mayfield 🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

8 minutes ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Some of them, yea. Also without Myles. Best player on defense. The game really doesn’t have to be 21-6 right now. I promise you that.

It should have been 21-0 in the 2nd quarter. It's going to be 42-6 in about 30 minutes. We're done. That was a terrific screen pass to the other team! 😂

I'm not trying to be an obnoxious troll, but if you couldn't laugh you'd cry. Watch how easy Baltimore scores here. It's quitting time and they're going to run it right down the field. 

BAKER MAYFIELD 🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

You guys are going to have to open this and then increase scale, I don't know how to resize it.    Anywho I'm going to throw my hand at this.  Untitled.thumb.png.1e3429c698b2bdc7826bbd157cf43c8b.png

You have plus splits to the trips side even though formation strength is the the boundary. This is pattern matching coverage the only problem is, at some point when you're a safety you just have to play ball.  You know your opposing QB's favorite target, you know they want to get him involved and you know their QB likes bigger bodies because his ball placement is questionable at times.  Instincts mean a great deal.

This is a double under with a vertical from the #3 as the Ravens are running it.  Andrews has a choice as to how he runs the route though.  

•  If there is no bracket and he finds the safety to his outside shoulder - he bends the route inside and shields the DB away with his bigger frame.
  •  No bracket and the safety is inside shoulder, he drifts towards the numbers and continues up the seam.       
  •  If Andrews and Lamar were to see a 2 high look, then Mark would try to spot the corner and see if Ward is getting depth.  If the corner gets depth outside the numbers he can carry narrow upfield.  If Ward isn't getting depth he can break to the boundary on a '7 '(flag)   so long as the safety is sitting inside.

Wilks has the Linebacker "squeeze" the #3 up the seam and then squats looking for any corresponding crosser/drag/under which he would take at that point.   Burris is outside leverage, eyes on #3 and attempting to "wall" and/or squat on the hitch, if he continues up field then he looks for the #2 which he identifies and drives on.   Ward is in "man", but he's also looking to rob or undercut any '7' (flag) behind him.   Refer back to that last bullet point as to how the offense plays this.  

Randall HAS to know where the weak point in coverage is.  His eyes should always be on the #2 and #3 to that side because he is reading vertical at which point he would carry the downfield threat.  Or at least that would be the smart bracket in this case.   The spider-cam and coaches tape won't be available until Wednesday but Randall drifts between the hashes like he's playing center field or some kind of robber only to realize too late he has been beaten.     Giant miscommunication somewhere.   But this is where I refer to instincts and safeties playing ball.  You know you're not having  Burris or the linebacker carry vertical without help, that shit would be stupid.   And I know part of you wants to expect a backside route that presses downfield - skinny post or some shit, but you have to trust where your instincts say the ball is going.   It's not like the Ravens to play that off-script.  It's an incredibly "controlled" passing game and you have to know that with the space Wilks allows, they're going to attempt to get their bigger targets downfield on top of you.

edit:  Great safety play covers up a lot of bad smells from a defense.  It can take a bust, like the one above, and turn it into a ball that Lamar either has to scramble to buy time, eat the play or throw up a contested pass.      Like I said, I think Randall can be a solid player on the backend.  Elite? not so much.  But Wilks right now is making it incredibly difficult with his calls.

2 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

You guys are going to have to open this and then increase scale, I don't know how to resize it.    Anywho I'm going to throw my hand at this.  Untitled.thumb.png.1e3429c698b2bdc7826bbd157cf43c8b.png

You have plus splits to the trips side even though formation strength is the the boundary. This is pattern matching coverage the only problem is, at some point when you're a safety you just have to play ball.  You know your opposing QB's favorite target, you know they want to get him involved and you know their QB likes bigger bodies because his ball placement is questionable at times.  Instincts mean a great deal.

This is a double under with a vertical from the #3 as the Ravens are running it.  Andrews has a choice as to how he runs the route though.  

•  If there is no bracket and he finds the safety to his outside shoulder - he bends the route inside and shields the DB away with his bigger frame.
  •  No bracket and the safety is inside shoulder, he drifts towards the numbers and continues up the seam.       
  •  If Andrews and Lamar were to see a 2 high look, then Mark would try to spot the corner and see if Ward is getting depth.  If the corner gets depth outside the numbers he can carry narrow upfield.  If Ward isn't getting depth he can break to the boundary on a '7' (flag)  

Wilks has the Linebacker "squeeze" the #3 up the seam and then squats looking for any corresponding crosser/drag/under which he would take at that point.   Burris is outside leverage, eyes on #3 and attempting to "wall" and/or squat on the hitch, if he continues up field then he looks for the #2 which he identifies and drives on.   Ward is in "man", but he's also looking to rob or undercut any '7' (flag) behind him.   Refer back to that last bullet point as to how the offense plays this.  

Randall HAS to know where the weak point in coverage is.  His eyes should always be on the #2 and #3 to that side because he is reading vertical at which point he would carry the downfield threat.  Or at least that would be the smart bracket in this case.   The spider-cam and coaches tape won't be available until Wednesday but Randall drifts between the hashes like he's playing center field or some kind of robber only to realize too late he has been beaten.     Giant miscommunication somewhere.   But this is where I refer to instincts and safeties playing ball.  You know you're not having anyone Burris or the linebacker carry vertical without help, that should would be stupid.   And I know part of you wants to expect a backside route that presses downfield - skinny post or some shit, but you have to trust where your instincts say the ball is going.   It's not like the Ravens to play that off-script.  It's an incredibly "controlled" passing game and you have to know that with the space Wilks allows, they're going to attempt to get their bigger targets downfield on top of you.

Truth: I don't know the details of schemes in football and the associated terms. But I do get the gist, that you may have an assignment but you've got to be aware of the strengths of the opposition and be in position/adjust accordingly based on your read of the unfolding play. Or that *sounds* like the gist, anyway.

50 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Chubb 8 carries 17 yards.....and now they have to play catch up.

maybe 8 carries too many??

Running the ball early in the game(especially on 1st and 2nd down) is a bad strategy in the nfl in today's game.  It's been proven time and time again.   Teams just cannot afford to run the ball in tradtional ways(exempting many of the ravens runs) unless they are way ahead late in game.  

In many ways, it's better to have a completely ineffective running game any given day than a 'good' running game, because the team with the ineffective running game may not even try and not waste key first downs.  

And you look at Chubb today and he's put them in some bad situations and 2nd/3rd and long.  It's just too easy to get behind the sticks trying to run the ball.

Seals Jones 💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩

Just now, 7moses7 said:

Seals Jones 💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩

Dude just made a ridiculous catch down the seam.     Things happen...