THE BROWNS BOARD

Twin Peaks....25 years later

I recently watched the new "Twin Peaks" series,  which yes, has been around for a couple of years  (released 2017).  But I just had not had a chance to see it until now.

As I see it, this is a reversal from the original series.    The original series was essentially a murder mystery...."Who killed Laura Palmer"  with  a litte bit of  very weird shit thrown in.

This is the other way around...it is a series  of almost completely weird shit,  with a little bit of murder mystery thrown in.   And you can tell, because they didn't really ever attempt to solve the murder mystery.  In some respects, you couldn't even figure out what the main thrust of this series was.     Oh, I guess the basic premise was:  What happened to Agent Dale Cooper.    Well, you sort of come to the end of the episodes still asking that question a bit.   

The story was full of obfuscation.   Who were these "supernatural"  entities.   I couldn't tell who was supposed to be who.  Who was supposed to be bad, and who was good.   Were they space aliens? Were they interdimensional beings?   Were they just some kind of spirits?  Some malevolent, some not?  

A lot of the actors from the original series 25 years earlier did make their return....in similar or different kinds of circumstances.   Some of what you    could call the story if there was a story, revolved around the children of some of the original characters. 

There was an appearance of the "Diane" character, who you only knew of from Cooper dictating memos in the original.    She is played by Laura Dern;  and Cooper and Diane do actually fuck as you would hope they would. 

At some point there may in fact have been  3 Coopers out there.    The good Agent Cooper; the bad Cooper whose corpus is inhabited by the evil "Bob"...who were never really learn what he is.  There is also the Cooper manifested in the form of Dougie Jones.   Who actually marries Diane's step or half sister.  We don't really know where this Cooper came from.  The good Cooper was stuck in the Black Lodge, the bad Cooper was out creating Mayhem for 25 years;  but this Cooper/Dougie  seems to be some byproduct of.....whatever.   

Anyway....if anyone has seen this and has some explanation of some of the shit that came down with this new series....I would like to hear it. 

4 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

The original TV series bored me shittless and I got the sense that they did weird shit just for the sake of doing weird shit. Just my opinion of course.

WSS

No, that seems to be right.   This was an 18 episode series of which the "plot" could have probably been boiled down to 6-8 episodes.  The rest is just weird shit in there for the purpose of being weird shit.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

That's kind of how I felt about the last episode of man in the high tower. Even though I kind of enjoyed it Susan hated it so if I was going to watch it I would have to do it by myself. The second two seasons I mean

WSS

You mean the Man in the High Castle?  I agree that that had an unfulfilling ending.

I think that is becoming an issue with some of these series.   They have a good story going for it, but don't really know how to conclude it.    Like Game of Thrones.

And the fact is, clearly, it seems, the Twin Peaks series has not ended.   At least, I think you can't tell.  There is talk of another season of it.