THE BROWNS BOARD

Penalty Free Play?

The Gipper

The Bengals challenged that long play made toward the end of the game on Landry's catch and run.

But yet, if I heard correctly....the Bengals challenged  that the play was not run as a "penalty free play".   The announcers speculated that maybe there was a lineman downfield.   WTF?

I do know that you can now challenge  Pass Interference, and the Browns did and won one of those.    But I didn't know that you could challenge a play based merely that the refs may have missed a penalty.....is that "any penalty"?    

Here it was  ineligible lineman downfield.  Not called.   I didn't know you could make such a challenge.    Could they have also challenged that there could have been holding?  Illegal formation?  Block in the back?  Facemask?  Hands to the face?  False start? Any of a hundred possible penalties?   Can the offense challenge if there was defensive holding?  Illegal contact?  Offsides not called?  Roughing the passer?  etc. etc. etc. 

Fortunately they denied the challenge in this case........but, as I said.....when can teams challenge any penalty on any play? 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

The Bengals challenged that long play made toward the end of the game on Landry's catch and run.

But yet, if I heard correctly....the Bengals challenged  that the play was not run as a "penalty free play".   The announcers speculated that maybe there was a lineman downfield.   WTF?

I do know that you can now challenge  Pass Interference, and the Browns did and won one of those.    But I didn't know that you could challenge a play based merely that the refs may have missed a penalty.....is that "any penalty"?    

Here it was  ineligible lineman downfield.  Not called.   I didn't know you could make such a challenge.    Could they have also challenged that there could have been holding?  Illegal formation?  Block in the back?  Facemask?  Hands to the face?  False start? Any of a hundred possible penalties?   Can the offense challenge if there was defensive holding?  Illegal contact?  Offsides not called?  Roughing the passer?  etc. etc. etc. 

Fortunately they denied the challenge in this case........but, as I said.....when can teams challenge any penalty on any play? 

You cannot challenge anything but pass interference. The announcers confused everyone with what they said, but only pass interference can be challenged. Like, if it was defensive holding, it still couldn't be called because it's not PI. 

8 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

You cannot challenge anything but pass interference. The announcers confused everyone with what they said, but only pass interference can be challenged. Like, if it was defensive holding, it still couldn't be called because it's not PI. 

Well....OK.  That is what I thought, but yea, the announcers said they were challenging  ineligible downfield.   Then after that, if they corrected it, I didn't hear it because I and the guys I was with were all pitching bitches about that call.....and apparently  were drowning out and paying no attention to the correction. 

3 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Technically ineligible down field can be challenged but it's not really the penalty that is challenged. Basically you are challenging where the ball is caught.  If ball is caught behind the line of scrimmage olineman are allowed to go downfield.  So technically you are challenging that ball was caught beyond the line of scrimmage which would retro actively go back and make them have to throw a flag if it was and there was an olineman downfield. You can also challenge the reverse of it.  If they call it and you believe your receiver caught the ball behind the line of scrimmage you can challenge it and if he did catch it behind line of scrimmage they will pick up the flag.  Essentially you have to get the refs to tell you they saw the olineman but didn't call it because the pass was thrown behind the line of scrimmage. 

It is a lot like how you could challenge if a pass was tipped when pass interference was called (before this year when you can challenge any pass interference). If they called p.i. but you believe your guy tipped the ball before contact was made you can challenge that your guy tipped the ball.  If he did they would pick up the flag. On the flip side if a player was interfered with and they ruled the ball was tipped (and gave that reason as to why they didnt call it) you could challenge the ball was not tipped and if it wasn't they would retro actively drop a flag because you won the challenge that the ball was not tipped. Again this was before you could challenge all p.i. this year. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The guys on the radio (mostly Doug D) thought they were challenging Carlson (TE) for Offensive pass interference

Nathan Zegura kinda said the same thing you guys did... “I didn’t know you could throw the red flag and ask if the whole play was penalty free, if that is the case, throw the flag all the time!”

I didn’t watch any of the game, just listened to it, but the Refs didn’t explain anything well....

10 hours ago, bjh2130 said:

Technically ineligible down field can be challenged but it's not really the penalty that is challenged. Basically you are challenging where the ball is caught.  If ball is caught behind the line of scrimmage olineman are allowed to go downfield.  So technically you are challenging that ball was caught beyond the line of scrimmage which would retro actively go back and make them have to throw a flag if it was and there was an olineman downfield. You can also challenge the reverse of it.  If they call it and you believe your receiver caught the ball behind the line of scrimmage you can challenge it and if he did catch it behind line of scrimmage they will pick up the flag.  Essentially you have to get the refs to tell you they saw the olineman but didn't call it because the pass was thrown behind the line of scrimmage. 

It is a lot like how you could challenge if a pass was tipped when pass interference was called (before this year when you can challenge any pass interference). If they called p.i. but you believe your guy tipped the ball before contact was made you can challenge that your guy tipped the ball.  If he did they would pick up the flag. On the flip side if a player was interfered with and they ruled the ball was tipped (and gave that reason as to why they didnt call it) you could challenge the ball was not tipped and if it wasn't they would retro actively drop a flag because you won the challenge that the ball was not tipped. Again this was before you could challenge all p.i. this year. 

It seems to me that you are using twisted logic to just get to the fact that they wanted to challenge that there was an ineligible lineman downfield..which seems to be merely what they wanted to do.

That they perhaps wanted to claim that there was offensive PI makes more sense.

That they were just desperate for anything because they knew that play just cost them the ballgame makes the ultimate sense.

• Confused 1

Ok gip....

I was not using twisted logic in the slightest.  I was not suggesting what Cincinnati was or was not challenging.  I was simply replying to jiggins that while you can't challenge certain penalties other than p.i. (new this year) and 12 men on the field, you can challenge other things that would make a penalty be called.  Like position of players on the field or if a ball was tipped (p.i example in first post) like on a roughing the punter missed call.  If they say the ball was tipped therefore its not roughing the punter you can't challenge they roughed your punter but you can challenge the ball wasn't tipped and if it wasn't they will go back and drop a flag.

... and the weakest PI overturn I've seen this year.

Good posts by bjh...

One "penalty" to add... Illegal forward pass.

There are actually two, closely associated, reviewable scenarios under this one example:

• QB (or other) throws downfield from beyond the LOS, and
  • any downfield player tosses an intended lateral forward.
  • Upvote 1