THE BROWNS BOARD

Pay Hunt. Period.

SkippinTurtles

5 minutes ago, SkippinTurtles said:

He's the best running back in the NFL.  Period.

You forgetting about Chubb?  :)  Oh I agree- pay da Man, the only question is- how much?  And it has to have a lot of voidable outs for the Browns based on him continuing to behave.  

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Isn’t he like a restricted free agent after this year?

I initially didn't think so, but you are correct.  Browns slap a first round tender on him = no brainer. Or will the Browns value him so highly they'd be willing to negotiate a long term deal ahead of time?  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Pay Hunt what?

Big dollars to any RB is a fool's errand.

Hope for 3.5M/year..But McCaffrey, Bernard & Dion Lewis fall between 4-5M/year..Interesting Duke(pick 77) & Hunt (86) both went in 3rd & both deals would get done for both at age 25.. am thinking Hunt waits for Melvin Gordan to set the market..Maybe not Dorsey's plan though

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Hope for 3.5M/year..But McCaffrey, Bernard & Dion Lewis fall between 4-5M/year..

Interesting Duke(pick 77) & Hunt (86) both went in 3rd & both deals would get done for both at age 25.. 

am thinking Hunt waits for Melvin Gordan to set the market..Maybe not Dorsey's plan though

Besides Hunt only Lewis is not on his rookie deal, so I'm not getting why you cited other salaries, gum...

Bernard, Lewis and Duke are strictly 3rd down back whereas Hunt's rushing title showed he can be more. Makes him a tweener.... very difficult to value.... very difficult to afford... at least beyond 2020.

In 2020 Hunt's a RFA so if we throw $3.278mm his way, then we'd get a 2020, 2nd-round pick in return, if he's signed away.

image.png.23041bc951e7f4e333cf5be3c44ea765.png

Someone might do it for a 2nd... , but his suspension history could be off-putting.

10 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

so I'm not getting why you cited other salaries, gum...

Bernard, Lewis and Duke are strictly 3rd down back whereas Hunt's rushing title showed he can be more. Makes him a tweener.... very difficult to value.... very difficult to afford... at least beyond 2020.

In 2020 Hunt's a RFA so if we throw $3.278mm his way, then we'd get a 2020, 2nd-round pick in return, if he's signed away.

Someone might do it for a 2nd... , but his suspension history could be off-putting.

A very* difficult tweener to value is a dead on statement Tour..Because honestly, I had forgotten Hunt was 'restricted', But we both surrounded the Hunt's contract value number next season..

Am thinking, Hunt showing up on TMZ the second* time, with rehab, is almost as damaging to his starting* RB career as his first visit.

Were not in or outside the building with Hunt, so we trust the one's whom are? Matching the 2nd Round tender sounds about right, so than we can watch Hunt vs Joe Mixon in 2021 🥊

16 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Besides Hunt only Lewis is not on his rookie deal, so I'm not getting why you cited other salaries, gum...

Tender the 2nd round offer and be done with it.  You can still get a very good college back in round 2 if necessary that will be cheap for his rookie deal.

15 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Yup... and if Hunt signs a reasonable offer sheet... say in the $35-40mm range for five years, then we can consider matching.

Exactly. I really like the guy but I don't think it's in our best interest to open the vault doors.  Just for the record I hate the idea we are already discussing cap space before we've won anything.

WSS

4 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

He is Duke only better.

WSS

He's Duke with legs the size oak trees. I love seeing the joy from Hunt when he scores and jumps into the crowd.

Also, I love how Hunt gets to the outside when we're at the goal line.  That looks REALLY difficult to defend because Hunt just jump-cuts laterally and then has more acceleration than anyone to the corner.  He's absolutely vital to our offense, and I don't think we're going to have those issues where we're stalling out at the 3 yard line anymore.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Exactly. I really like the guy but I don't think it's in our best interest to open the vault doors.  Just for the record I hate the idea we are already discussing cap space before we've won anything.

You always have to keep one eye on the cap. Even when Sashi was clearing the decks, the FO's cap planning was reaching out many years.

And one of the cap truths is that a franchise can get in trouble quickly trying to pay one RB top dollar, let alone two of them. Zeke demos the former while the Saints demo the latter.

NO had to decide a couple seasons ago between Kamara and Ingram... they stayed with the cheap rookie... and that's despite Ingram ultimately being a bargain for BLT at $5mm/yr.

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

You always have to keep one eye on the cap. Even when Sashi was clearing the decks, the FO's cap planning was reaching out many years.

And one of the cap truths is that a franchise can get in trouble quickly trying to pay one RB top dollar, let alone two of them. Zeke demos the former while the Saints demo the latter.

NO had to decide a couple seasons ago between Kamara and Ingram... they stayed with the cheap rookie... and that's despite Ingram ultimately being a bargain for BLT at $5mm/yr.

No doubt Tour my point is, as I'm sure you could guess, I prefer to be worrying about the cap after the 2019 run to the playoffs and the 2020 Super Bowl campaign. Not after 6 and whatever the hell.

WSS

7 minutes ago, SkippinTurtles said:

Just sign him today and get it over with.  

First off, we get it. Woo sah, as I like to say.

Secondly, I bet you that Hunt will garner 20+ million dollars in FA this year, if not a little more (I'm actually interested in how the RB market will play out). Chubb is one year away from a Zeke, Bell, Gurley type deal which he has deserved. I think you're simply underestimating how much worth, dollar wise, Hunt will garner. A dude with essentially a year of less carries who can EASILY and has shown he can be a lead dog is spicy. 

As I believe you were already told, it makes a lot more sense to 1st round tender him as a RFA, which we can't do until the offseason. That would put his contract value around $5 million and we can see what the market is. If someone is going to throw the kitchen sink at the guy, we get a 1st round pick out of the deal. That very clearly makes the most sense.

He kicked a chick in the head but more importantly if you sign hunt, what do you do with chubb? The Panthers ran Stewart and Williams but that wasn't some sort of dream backfield and eventually they couldnt keep them together anyway. The Browns roster is going to start getting expensive so signing hunt sends a signal to chubb. I think hunt expects to be on another team because chubb is the guy. My outsider perspective.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

He kicked a chick in the head but more importantly if you sign hunt, what do you do with chubb? The Panthers ran Stewart and Williams but that wasn't some sort of dream backfield and eventually they couldnt keep them together anyway. The Browns roster is going to start getting expensive so signing hunt sends a signal to chubb. I think hunt expects to be on another team because chubb is the guy. My outsider perspective.

I agree, but I'm hoping that Hunt will feel gratitude that the Browns took a chance on him and sign a 2-3yr "club friendly" deal............. I'm not holding my breath however. 

1 hour ago, Vagitron said:

He didn't kick her in the head.  Putting your foot on a woman is bad enough. You don't have to exaggerate it. 

We could sign chubb to a 2 year 16-20 million dollar year fully guaranteed (obviously with some outs if he does something dumb off the field) since chubb is still on his rookie deal.  Then when that contract is up it will be time to sign Nick chubb to his extension.  If chubb happens to get hurt or starts playing worse you make your decision to let him go and resign hunt. Having chubb on a rookie contract for another two years allows the browns to offer Hunt a really good two year deal which would be about what most teams would offer him.  If they offer longer term it's going to be less money per year because of the off the field issues.

1 hour ago, Vagitron said:

Well, we have other tandem RB examples than the one you named that seemed to work out quite well.    But that was before the current economic model.

So,  a question:

What in your collective  opinions have been the best  RB tandems in the league, say since   2000?

And, perhaps an interesting twist to that question:     would  the Jackson/Ingram  "tandem"  be considered here?