THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns at Steelers Official Gameday thread

11 minutes ago, Duckpins said:

Watt has a pedigree.  Played in the B 10 at wisconsin.  How do the Browns miss him in the draft?

I would guess it is because we drafted Myles Garrett number 1 that draft and had just drafted a defensive end with pick 32 the year before.  Even without ogbah on the team in his second year its unlikely the browns draft two defensive ends in the first round.  

I was PROUD about how the Browns fought the entire game. the offensive line played their hearts into the dirt - but the LT just

isn't good enough to get it done, There was never "quit" for one second in that game. That is just dumb..I'd say, the Browns will start a new LT, a new RT and eventually? a new ROG. Baker got beat up a few times, threw a few throws in OBJ's direction into double coverage again, the defensive line got beat up even worse.

I will gripe though - even Greedy, who also got banged up in the second half, knows to look back for the ... what in the hell? I'm thinking a team who needs to take the lead, can simply throw a long ball ball towards Ward, and get a pass interference a lot of the time. Never looked back at the ball. What the....

I was proud of the Browns' run game. That is easier on the offensive line, but you can't keep running on first down with the same formation so often. A few times, the Browns got minus yardage handed to them, because the defense got wise.

The two? long throws to a double covered OBJ were wasted plays. Right to the end, the Browns might have tied it up to send it into overtime. They were undermanned, some things went wrong (Browns TD catch dropped when the TE's head hit the turf), and Baker led that fight by staying in the game after his hand got banged up.

I'm still annoyed about the helmet hit on Baker's helmet. NO CALL. And if I saw correctly, one of the Browns on kickoff coverage, got blasted from behind, and was looking at the refs and was wanting a flag. NO CALL.

I keep seeing this garbage. A few times, our safeties got badly outmaneuvered. The Browns played a hell of a game to even be in the game at the end. Just wasn't enough - not healthy enough, and...in Ward's case, not smart enough. Mack Wilson and Schobert ROCK.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

With Myles in, that QB would look NOWHERE CLOSE to what he did today.

Flip the script: Baker would’ve balled out and the play calling wouldn’t have been so scary if TJ Watt was out for the Steelers.

every tackle we have on this team would not have made our highschool team....

Just now, calfoxwc said:

I was PROUD about how the Browns fought the entire game. the offensive line played their hearts into the dirt - but the LT just

isn't good enough to get it done, There was never "quit" for one second in that game. That is just dumb..I'd say, the Browns will start a new LT, a new RT and eventually? a new ROG. Baker got beat up a few times, threw a few throws in OBJ's direction into double coverage again, the defensive line got beat up even worse.

I will gripe though - even Greedy, who also got banged up in the second half, knows to look back for the ... what in the hell? I'm thinking a team who needs to take the lead, can simply throw a long ball ball towards Ward, and get a pass interference a lot of the time. Never looked back at the ball. What the....

I was proud of the Browns' run game. That is easier on the offensive line, but you can't keep running on first down with the same formation so often. A few times, the Browns got minus yardage handed to them, because the defense got wise.

The two? long throws to a double covered OBJ were wasted plays. Right to the end, the Browns might have tied it up to send it into overtime. They were undermanned, some things went wrong (Browns TD catch dropped when the TE's head hit the turf), and Baker led that fight by staying in the game after his hand got banged up.

I'm still annoyed about the helmet hit on Baker's helmet. NO CALL. I keep seeing this garbage. A few times, our safeties got badly outmaneuvered. The Browns played a hell of a game to even be in the game at the end. Just wasn't enough - not healthy enough, and...in Ward's case, not smart enough. Mack Wilson and Schobert ROCK.

you can play your heart out but if you are not talented as every offensive tackle we have on this team and most of our other olmen, it don't matter...you are going to lose every time...

5 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

Greedy also got called for it once and gave up a long catch also. Same as ward one long completion and one p.i. call (that both were hand fighting and the flag wasn't thrown until we complained)  Both need to start looking back for the ball. 

1 minute ago, browns52 said:

you can play your heart out but if you are not talented as every offensive tackle we have on this team and most of our other olmen, it don't matter...you are going to lose every time...

certainly true. But if the Browns drafted high enough to draft Chase Young out of Ohio State.... I couldn't draft a LT til the second round.

Even the third round - which would still be an upgrade, hopefully. Drafting Corbett was such a disaster. He has only started 2 games for the rams, only played in three games. and, btw, the Browns miss Njoku out there. Carson was outstanding..on the one time they threw to him. I think they had to keep him in to block most of the time. Too bad.

Defense Tackling, hustle and effort was disgusting today.  

We can focus all we want on the defense being out manned.  The Steelers had their top back, top WR, starting center and “duck” playing QB and we were tossed around chewed up and spit out with a conservative steeler game plan.

There was nothing to be proud of on that side of the ball 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

I'm still annoyed about the helmet hit on Baker's helmet. NO CALL. And if I saw correctly, one of the Browns on kickoff coverage, got blasted from behind, and was looking at the refs and was wanting a flag. NO CALL.

I keep seeing this garbage. A few times, our safeties got badly outmaneuvered. The Browns played a hell of a game to even be in the game at the end. Just wasn't enough - not healthy enough, and...in Ward's case, not smart enough. Mack Wilson and Schobert ROCK.

You cannot seriously be in here talking about the fucking refs. They are horrible across the league. Carlson was in the end one, that was a touch back. The roughing on Dupree was horrendous too. Is he supposed to enter the matrix to stop himself from hitting baker? Take your L. 

The problem with Freddie’s clock management at the end of the first half came the drive before the final drive of the half.

You get the ball with 2:52 left in the half. Don’t come out and stop the clock on an incompletion and then run on second down leaving enough time on the clock to force yourself to run third down before the warning.

You allowed the other team to keep all their time outs and punted to them with nearly two minutes left on the clock.

Run the ball twice with either of your pro bowl caliber backs, get to the warning, hopefully pick up the first and then start your 2 minute drill. You should always try to limit your opponent‘s number of possessions, or at least make their next possession as difficult as possible.  I mean it’s not fucking rocket surgery, it’s basic football strategy. 

Just now, SdBacker80 said:

Defense Tackling, hustle and effort was disgusting today.  

We can focus all we want on the defense being out manned.  The Steelers had their top back, top WR, starting center and “duck” playing QB and we were tossed around chewed up and spit out with a conservative steeler game plan.

There was nothing to be proud of on that side of the ball

Well, to that point - a few times there was the stupidass shoulder tackle that lets the bigger guy bounce off and keep on going.

I freaking HATE THAT. Which, now I remember - what....in....the...hell.....is up with taking a big guy on... by trying to stop him by hitting him just above the waist? That is where he has the leverage. The Browns TE could knock some little db's out, but other db's hit them in the lower legs.

You need to stop a team on third down, and you think you'll stop him by hitting him high in the hips? around his waist? Some of these kind of guys need to take a defense oriented physics class. They try to do it to Chubb, too, and other teams defenses also look like fools when he keeps on going. I hate to lose that game, so do the Browns. A healthy Browns team would have won this game.

Too bad. dammit. Let's see, what is prissy vag saying....

10 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

You cannot seriously be in here talking about the fucking refs. They are horrible across the league. Carlson was in the end one, that was a touch back. The roughing on Dupree was horrendous too. Is he supposed to enter the matrix to stop himself from hitting baker? Take your L. 

crap, I thought you'd try not to be stupid about it. ah well, you worship a crap team. figures. A helmet to helmet hit isn't debateable, especially on the qb in the pocket.

it's a penalty, except when the squealers do it. I've seen Browns called for it for an inadvertent grazing of a helmet with one finger.

And Carson was not in the end zone, you aren't on the right play. It was a pass play where Carson straight-armed one of the steelers and kept on going.

Oh, and here's another one. the pittspuke qb throws the ball away, was IN the POCKET, where no squealer receiver was within ...20 yards? that's how it looked on TV.

Intentional grounding !!!!!!!!!!!!

oops. nope. NO CALL.  A few bad, bad pittsburg offensive linemen holding occurences later in the game, second half... NO CALLS.

10 minutes ago, Why?!?!? said:

The problem with Freddie’s clock management at the end of the first half came the drive before the final drive of the half.

You get the ball with 2:52 left in the half. Don’t come out and stop the clock on an incompletion and then run on second down leaving enough time on the clock to force yourself to run third down before the warning.

You allowed the other team to keep all their time outs and punted to them with nearly two minutes left on the clock.

Run the ball twice with either of your pro bowl caliber backs, get to the warning, hopefully pick up the first and then start your 2 minute drill. You should always try to limit your opponent‘s number of possessions, or at least make their next possession as difficult as possible.  I mean it’s not fucking rocket surgery, it’s basic football strategy. 

Clock management in the pros and college is so bad, you wonder if these guys understand basic logic?  Stupid is as stupid does.  Mike McCarthy next year because discipline needs to be there before the talent can assert itself.  

13 minutes ago, Why?!?!? said:

Actually, that is also true. It's agonizing. But he'll learn and won't do it next year.........

3 hours ago, tinythinker said:

Had this ready to go earlier, but the Haden pick seals the deal for Pittsburgh...

🙏Excelsior! Browns climb to 6-6🏉

As it is, Browns drop to 5-7 and still have a mathematical chance at a winning record at 9-7 if they can find a way to win against the Ravens, the Cardinals, and twice against the Bengals. Given today's performance, sweeping the Ravens seems unlikely but 8-8 is doable to avoid a losing season. Playoff chances fading for 2019 but lots to evaluate over the next few games for 2020

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I saw no quit.

And on my experience generally it's the "fans" that do not know football who say they do.

Bottom line today was that our DL was too dinged up to compete.

I was in a bar- with poor sound who was out?  

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

That and motherfucking "trail technique"...

The few times we got any pressure on Duck... he did squat...

and after the first quarter, the "pressure" was non- existent...   

2 hours ago, Icecube said:

I should have known better: When so many Browns fans were counting this as an easy win, I should have known Browns were gonna lose. 

No such thing as an "easy" win...  

1 hour ago, Gorka said:

Nonsense. 

Seriously, the "we quit" and "no heart" song and dance is really getting fucking old around here. Just accept the possibility that we may not be as good as we think we are, or at least admit that the Steelers played better today.

Defensive backfield played like crap, giving up too many chunk plays....

32 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

The only penalty\ bad call you can bitch about was the phantom false start. The Browns got out coached today- again. MHO? Freddie is now toast. One more loss (that's not against the juggernaut Ravens) and he's done. 

And do enjoy yet another one and done in the playoffs- either the Ratbirds or Pats are gonna kill you. Don't give me the we'll be great next year with (increasingly fragile) Ben back at the controls..... 

• Upvote 1

My biggest bitch, is once again Freddy gets pass happy.

In the entire second half of the game, the Browns run the ball twice.

Yes...twice, Chubb took only 2 handoffs and Hunt took zero.

All while our offensive line couldn’t keep Watt & company out of the backfield. 

32 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

That is true.

A lot of the good old referees have recently retired and many now actually work for the networks.  Trying to blame the referees or some imaginary league wide game fixing conspiracy is a joke or flimsy excuse.  

7 minutes ago, Gorka said:

We pinned them on their 1 foot line. Knowing full well they were not going to let Daffy pass the ball out of the endzone, how in the hell did the Browns D manage to let their RB burst up the middle for a 10 yd. gain? Shit like that is frustrating as hell.

On that half yard Line play...Mack Wilson didn’t seem too interested in squaring his shoulders and taking on the blocker.  

He had another moment in first half where he MAYBE got held a little and he appeared to give up on a run to the outside. Flailed his arms looking for a call instead of playing through contact.  Runner went right by him 

it wasn’t a good day for Mack, Greedy or Carrie 

26 minutes ago, hoorta said:

The only penalty\ bad call you can bitch about was the phantom false start. The Browns got out coached today- again. MHO? Freddie is now toast. One more loss (that's not against the juggernaut Ravens) and he's done. 

And do enjoy yet another one and done in the playoffs- either the Ratbirds or Pats are gonna kill you. Don't give me the we'll be great next year with (increasingly fragile) Ben back at the controls..... 

Larry that roughing the passer was horrible. Carson was also in the end one on that touch back. The ball is touching dudes leg. It easily could have been a safety because the refs are bad at their job. No matter what every team in the league outside of maybe the cheatriots has been victim to the absolutely horrendous officiating this year. It's embarrassing. 

And you are drunk if you don't think the steelers won't be much better with Ben and this defense. We were missing a lot of starters offensively too. The Ravens are legit tho and Tom brady is done after this season.

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

This team was 7-8-1 last year with some tough close games and fewer tools.

That's food for thought...

... unfortunately...

3 hours ago, Icecube said:

Yea, that an a quarter doesn't even get you a coffee these days. Whoopity do! Duck didn't do anything when he was pressured. Oh, that is so meaningful. 

Thanks.... how's it compare with your pregame comment about it coming down to turnovers?

1 hour ago, Duckpins said:

Watt has a pedigree.  Played in the B 10 at wisconsin.  How do the Browns miss him in the draft?

Very limited experience at linebacker coming out. He was recruited as a tight end at Wisconsin and then switched. Dupree was raw too but it has taken Dupree a lot longer to become what he is now. Now I worry the steelers will have a hard time keeping him.

3 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Interesting calls given that our best single high safety who has shown some range that allowed us to make those calls from those sets was out.....  yet we still went with it at times.

Yup... and playing trail against a QB with a less than strong arm... and therefore has to lob teardrops downfield... is just asking for trouble. Duck simply lacks the arm strength to pull off a back shoulder throw of any reasonable depth.

Our lone INT was when Mitchell, subbed in for Greedy, was playing over the top of Washington IIRC.  Washington was a yard shy of even and so properly broke the route off... "Duck" was still in deep ball delirium and lobbed a lollipop right to Terence.

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

I'm sure we will find out tomorrow how bad his taped and gloved right hand at the end of the first half was bothering his grip, etc. No Baker, no passing game.

I suspect stitches were under the gloved bandaging... and that means swelling and pain as the novacaine (if any was used) wears off.

1 hour ago, Duckpins said:

We'd already bagged MG... setting us on the path to play a 4-3 base.

TJ Watt is a 3-4 OLB... that's the Steelers' base.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Vagitron said:

The ball was technically dead once he downed it the first time before he slid into the end zone and made contact a second time. Therefore a great play. How about that lack of intentional grounding before your FG attempt? Duck threw it away off his back foot inside the tackle box. No call.
How about that BS pass interference on 3rd and 7 that helped you score that TD to tie the game at 10-10?  
“G.A.P” plays, or game altering plays. Y’all got some help. 

1 hour ago, Canton Dawg said:

Yes...twice, Chubb took only 2 handoffs and Hunt took zero.

True... except for the other 4 runs...

In our lone, 3rd-Qtr possession we ran the ball 5 times. The 6th came in our 1st possession of the 4th Qtr. After that the score and clock pretty much dictated that we pass.

https://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2019120110/2019/REG13/browns@steelers?icampaign=scoreStrip-globalNav-2019120110

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bjh2130 said:

Greedy also got called for it once and gave up a long catch also. Same as ward one long completion and one p.i. call (that both were hand fighting and the flag wasn't thrown until we complained)  Both need to start looking back for the ball. 

TJ Carrie had the worst one, where he appeared to be  in a good position to intercept it and completely panicked. These corners were simply not used to that type of pressure.
The Ward call should’ve been called interference on offense too, as the receiver pushed extended his arm to push Ward, and been a replay 3rd and 7, at the least.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Vagitron said:

Larry that roughing the passer was horrible

It's a bullshit rule but it is a rule. He landed his full body weight on the qb. I don't like the rule but it was the right call.

Also just for reference that is how Garrett got his only two roughing the passer penalties. He landed too hard of Siemian twice. Those were the types of plays people (steelers fans) were using to how Garrett was a dirty player post Rudolph incident. 

By the way

"HiS hAnD wAs StUcK"

Look at stuck in his facemask all the way up there by his fucking shoulderpad.

Screenshot_20191120-141452_YouTube.jpg