THE BROWNS BOARD

Damarious Randall benched for Steelers game

Vambo

5 hours ago, hx214 said:

How can I say that? We traded a solid OLmen for Vernon who even when he has been on the field has played MAYBE two good games. He had Myles Garrett on the other side drawing attention.  We gave Ogbah away for Murray. Ogbah’s numbers before he went on IR were better than Vernon’s. 

That’s how I can say that...

You saw Vernon out there giving it a go when he could hardly run. He’s injured, man. If he was out there, healthy, with Garrett, we would not be having this discussion.
Murray is injured, too and would’ve played better than that abysmal secondary play today. You can’t argue that. 
And go figure, one of the more talented DBs, if not THE most talented, was benched. For coach knows why.

14 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

I guess it depends on WHAT he did. Hard to gauge the discipline when you don't know the offense. But still, it'd have to be severe to cost him a game and us a solid defensive player. 

I don't know what it was, but considering your team was down it's only legit pass rusher,  without virtually every safety, AND your LT inexplicably develops concussion symptoms on a freakin Wednesday...yeah...it better be pretty serious. If it turns out to be he was 5 minutes late to a meeting, I'm going to be pissed. 

Sorry Jigsies, but if he's 5 minutes late to a meeting with Jimmy Johnson, Bill Belicheck or Bill Parcells - his best case scenario is a 1 game suspension or just a demotion.  His worst case scenario bye bye and good luck splaining why you are suddenly available.

Fans might not think that's a BIG deal; but it shows a coach, manager or anyone in leadership roles - he doesn't give the 1st shit about his team or his profession- especially given our situation.  Randall already showed GB this side of him; and it's why they had no interest in giving a 1st round draft pick a second contract...

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Of course they will, because they are mentally weak. 

But let an offending player play because that will teach the team long-term how to be professional. How about you be mad at the dumb ass player who got himself into that position? 

Some of you would literally be the worst coach/boss ever. 

Precisely!

1 minute ago, Flugel said:

Sorry Jigsies, but if he's 5 minutes late to a meeting with Jimmy Johnson, Bill Belicheck or Bill Parcells - his best case scenario is a 1 game suspension or just a demotion.  His worst case scenario bye bye and good luck splaining why you are suddenly available.

Fans might not think that's a BIG deal; but it shows a coach, manager or anyone in leadership roles - he doesn't give the 1st shit about his team or his profession- especially given our situation.  Randall already showed GB this side of him; and it's why they had no interest in giving a 1st round draft pick a second contract...

Yeah...I know. I'm just pissed off. I'm so freakin angry and tired of the same shit every year. My heart thought we could win, but my brain absolutely knew we couldn't do it. 

There was a reason we didn't re-sign Randall already. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Yeah...I know. I'm just pissed off. I'm so freakin angry and tired of the same shit every year. My heart thought we could win, but my brain absolutely knew we couldn't do it. 

There was a reason we didn't re-sign Randall already. 

I hear ya man!

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Of course they will, because they are mentally weak. 

But let an offending player play because that will teach the team long-term how to be professional. How about you be mad at the dumb ass player who got himself into that position? 

Some of you would literally be the worst coach/boss ever. 

The worst coach is the one who consistently make boneheaded decisions that lose their team games. The coach is unable to whip the team into shape and then he punishes the entire team because a few are not disciplined; which of course is the coaches fault to begin with. Being thoughtful with discipline that punishes the player but doesn't cost the team a game makes you a great coach/boss. The matter speaks for itself as we are seeing the results. I hope you like them.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, hish747 said:

The worst coach is the one who consistently make boneheaded decisions that lose their team games. The coach is unable to whip the team into shape and then he punishes the entire team because a few are not disciplined; which of course is the coaches fault to begin with. Being thoughtful with discipline that punishes the player but doesn't cost the team a game makes you a great coach/boss. The matter speaks for itself as we are seeing the results. I hope you like them.

Imagine complaining that a coach doesn't instill discipline by complaining that he is disciplining a player. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, hish747 said:

I guess there's no point in arguing with you if you don't appreciate the difference between constructive and destructive discipline. 

From what has been put out there Randall apparently decided to skip a practice. Just literally not bothering to show up.

But yes, he should have been constructively disciplined.  

6 hours ago, Flugel said:

Sorry Jigsies, but if he's 5 minutes late to a meeting with... Bill Belicheck or Bill Parcells - his best case scenario is a 1 game suspension or just a demotion. 

You obviously missed the Top 100 episode on the front seven.

Belichick told the story about LT being 5 minutes late for a Saturday D meeting. After the meeting he told Parcells about LT's tardiness and added, "I thought you should know."

Parcells replied, "Why didn't you just wait for him?"

Unless there's a team precedent under Freddie of which I am not aware, nothing says "miss a game for missing a practice", but you also can't delay punishment a week due to need.

Assuming this is a first offense a set fine ($10k) plus missing a start (sitting a full series) should have been adequate.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Belichick told the story about LT being 5 minutes late for a Saturday D meeting. After the meeting he told Parcells about LT's tardiness and added, "I thought you should know."

Unless there's a team precedent under Freddie of which I am not aware, nothing says "miss a game for missing a practice", but you also can't delay punishment a week due to need.

Assuming this is a first offense a set fine ($10k) plus missing a start (sitting a full series) should have been adequate.

It's starting to become very apparent why the Packers gave this guy away for peanuts, and why the Browns have never extended his contract. 

7 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Of course, the other side of this is that one player is arguably the GOAT at his position, and the player for the Browns is most certainly not. 😏

6 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

It's starting to become very apparent why the Packers gave this guy away for peanuts, and why the Browns have never extended his contract. 

Were those the same Packers that were using Randall at CB, which was not a position of need for them?

Same Packers we had inside knowledge of in the form of Eliot Wolf and Alonzo Highsmith?

6 hours ago, Dste Ace said:

Of course, the other side of this is that one player is arguably the GOAT at his position, and the player for the Browns is most certainly not. 😏

That does complete the argument Flugs was trying to make, but introducing provisos doesn't really help when trying to make a black and white argument.... does it?

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

That does complete the argument Flugs was trying to make, but introducing provisos doesn't really help when trying to make a black and white argument.... does it?

I agree, no help at all. Just commenting on the (unfortunate?) reality that certain players---LT, Jordan, Bonds---don't have to worry about the rules like the rest of us schmucks.

On 11/30/2019 at 10:46 PM, The Gipper said:

Isn't Eric Berry still out there?

what about minifield and dixon....where is eric turner....dammit ..ha ha ha ha....you gotta luv it...how this team is still around is beyond me...its amazing...there must be some money making ponzi scheme that jimba hasslime has constructed...

15 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

i saw that....we don't have anyone like lt.....and for how strict pacells was, he was correct with that statement....best defensive player ever....i remember a thanksgiving game many years ago....giants/lions....lt was injured and late in the week he was doubtful for the game...i placed a bet on the lions...come game day lt played and he played injured....he picked off a pass and ran it back 98 yds...giants won...end of my betting days...

On 12/1/2019 at 10:53 AM, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

How can you say that about players who are injured and in their first year in a new scheme? Murray has made nice plays and so has Vernon. 
Also I wouldn’t call D.Randall a bad trade, we got him for some peanuts, basically.

fucking vernon has not done a whole lot and being injured did not help.....non factor this yr.....would not be surprised if we try to get rid of him....

22 hours ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

You saw Vernon out there giving it a go when he could hardly run. He’s injured, man. If he was out there, healthy, with Garrett, we would not be having this discussion.
Murray is injured, too and would’ve played better than that abysmal secondary play today. You can’t argue that. 
And go figure, one of the more talented DBs, if not THE most talented, was benched. For coach knows why.

i don't think i heard vernons name more than 10 times this yr when he was playing...he sucked...don't care if he was injured....he was a total non factor...injuries are part of the game....and as far as garrett the thug, i would not be surprised to hear his name during the off season associated in some kind of felony situation...he has  a thug mentality and will probably get into some kind of trouble again...

1 hour ago, browns52 said:

as far as garrett the thug, i would not be surprised to hear his name during the off season associated in some kind of felony situation...he has  a thug mentality and will probably get into some kind of trouble again...

Wow!    

I don't believe that to be true.  

-------

To Randall:  I heard today that he didn't want to practice outside in the cold.    -  but I'm sure there's no shortage of stories...

5 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Were those the same Packers that were using Randall at CB, which was not a position of need for them?

Didnt we trade for Randall before the draft? The same draft they selected jaire Alexander in the first round.  If so I would say they saw CB as a big enough need to draft one in the first round the very same offseason they traded him. 

Just looked it up randall was traded March of 2018 and Alexander was drafted in April of 2018. They traded up from 27 to 18 to get Alexander. If he was just drafted as bpa where there pick was originally I could see db not being a need but since they traded up I would guess that they viewed corner as a position of need.

Edited by bjh2130
Looked up when randall was traded.

4 hours ago, browns52 said:

fucking vernon has not done a whole lot and being injured did not help.....non factor this yr.....would not be surprised if we try to get rid of him....

Ok so if Dorsey could predict that Vernon would get hurt and be injured when we needed him, I’m sure he doesn’t make the trade. 

4 hours ago, browns52 said:

and as far as garrett the thug, i would not be surprised to hear his name during the off season associated in some kind of felony situation...he has  a thug mentality and will probably get into some kind of trouble again...

Genius take. 

3 hours ago, Orion said:

To Randall:  I heard today that he didn't want to practice outside in the cold.    -  but I'm sure there's no shortage of stories...

https://brownszone.com/2019/12/02/freddie-kitchens-says-safety-damarious-randall-will-return-this-week-after-being-benched-vs-steelers/  🦃 what could happen on a Thanksgiving Day practice?

20 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Thanks.  Yeah, I heard that part of the interview.

I understand that you have to discipline guys....for the good of the other 52 (unless you're Josh Gordon...in which case you don't even have to go to training camp).    But our season was on the line there in Pittsburgh.  We couldn't afford to be without our better players.  And as it turned out, we COULDN'T afford it.    Couldn't he have just given him a spanking or something?

2 minutes ago, Orion said:

Couldn't he have just given him a spanking or something?

Randall needs to be 'mic'd up' to what he did.. Duck hit on 3 of 4 long ones..but Randall could have certainly helped the other 52 guys, when Duck dinked for another 10 of 11 passes for under 4 yards in completions that went for yards far further down the field.. 

Add to the list of losing Vernon/ Chad Thomas/ Greedy/ and Tretter playing on one leg, No we couldn't..Mainly after your coaches elect to run the ball twice, while Baker plays Micheal Jackson running around in his 'Us against the world' white glove 🧤..I'd expect the injury list to be a long one come Hump Day 🐫   

It always cracks me up when inevitably the Browns fanbase says, en masse, WE WANT A HARD ASS HEAD COACH WHO TAKES NO SHIT FROM HIS PLAYERS, because when most of them actually run into a coach like this, or a coach who tries to exhibit this trait, the same Browns fans want their "hard ass head coach who takes no shit from his players" coach to be restricted with plenty of fine print and exceptions. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, browns52 said:

i don't think i heard vernons name more than 10 times this yr when he was playing...he sucked...don't care if he was injured....he was a total non factor...injuries are part of the game....and as far as garrett the thug, i would not be surprised to hear his name during the off season associated in some kind of felony situation...he has  a thug mentality and will probably get into some kind of trouble again...

Where on the earth would you come up with Myles having a thug attitude?? One of the crazier tales I’ve seen on Myles. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

It always cracks me up when inevitably the Browns fanbase says, en masse, WE WANT A HARD ASS HEAD COACH WHO TAKES NO SHIT FROM HIS PLAYERS, because when most of them actually run into a coach like this, or a coach who tries to exhibit this trait, the same Browns fans want their "hard ass head coach who takes no shit from his players" coach to be restricted with plenty of fine print and exceptions. 

I hear ya.  But our season is now done.  So, was that good for the other 52?