THE BROWNS BOARD

Damarious Randall benched for Steelers game

Vambo

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/11/browns-safety-damarious-randall-benched-for-the-steelers-game-and-left-home-for-something-that-happened-during-the-week.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Browns safety Damarious Randall was benched for Sunday’s Steelers game and kept home from the trip to Pittsburgh because of a coach’s decision, the club announced Saturday afternoon.

A league source told cleveland.com that coach Freddie Kitchens made the move for something that happened during the week.

Randall, who’s started five games this season, did not participate in the early position drills that were open to the media on Friday, but he didn’t appear on the injury report.

1 hour ago, D Bone said:

Droppin' like the undisciplined flies they are. 

Damnit Freddie get these guys more disciplined.  If they break the rules you've got to do something to make them not want to do break rules anymore.

Oh wait.... That is exactly what's happening. Randall fucked up so he is being disciplined by being left of active roster.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, bjh2130 said:

Damnit Freddie get these guys more disciplined.  If they break the rules you've got to do something to make them not want to do break rules anymore.

Oh wait.... That is exactly what's happening. Randall fucked up so he is being disciplined by being left of active roster.

The next thing you know, one of the players will be wearing a shirt that says 'Pittsburgh Started It'...............

• Upvote 1

Losing a key player before a big game sucks, but no one should be above the team. If you fuck up, you pay it. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, hx214 said:

That Eric Murray trade is almost as bad as the Vernon trade. How many games will those guys combine to play this year? 10?

Good point! The Randall one last year isn't looking very helpful to us this year either.  I'm starting to see why GB was thinking "don't let the door hit you in the asss on the way out" instead of investing in a 2nd contract for their former 1st round pick. 

I've been reluctant to share this because it's hear say from a guy that's usually careful with inside scoops. Anyway, he said one of the weeks Randall went into concussion protocol during the week was after a night out at a bar - he showed up to practice with bruises and a cut on his face (looking like he got into a fight).  I could be just me; but I haven't gotten the same vibe from him THIS year like I did last year when he played through injuries and even manned down a corner spot when he injuries at corner.

Not for nothing; but I'd like to see us get Mitchell on the field.  He was damn good corner when healthy last year; and he has an experience volume that could help him make the same transition Randall made for Corner to Safety.

Back in the 80s, you'd see guys play with broken bones like Jack Youngblood. Even Bernie played 3quarters of a game broken leg/ankle; and do I dare type he looked faster?  In this era, the injury lists are bigger than they've ever been (even aside from the concussion part of it all)....

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, hx214 said:

That Eric Murray trade is almost as bad as the Vernon trade. How many games will those guys combine to play this year? 10?

How can you say that about players who are injured and in their first year in a new scheme? Murray has made nice plays and so has Vernon. 
Also I wouldn’t call D.Randall a bad trade, we got him for some peanuts, basically.

48 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

I fully support discipline for his missing practice. That said they could have benched him vs. the Bungles instead of this game. You have to balance discipline with winning games as well. 

I disagree.

If you want to change the culture of the Browns FOR THE LONG RUN into one that demands professionalism and accountability, you can't cherry pick who you punish and when you punish someone. Basically, you might have to sacrifice one battle to win the overall war.

As much as we hate the Steelers, there's a reason they lost two great talents (and headcase divas) last season, their starting QB, have suffered tons of injuries and yet on December 1st are the #6 seed still.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

How can you say that about players who are injured and in their first year in a new scheme? Murray has made nice plays and so has Vernon. 
Also I wouldn’t call D.Randall a bad trade, we got him for some peanuts, basically.

How can I say that? We traded a solid OLmen for Vernon who even when he has been on the field has played MAYBE two good games. He had Myles Garrett on the other side drawing attention.  We gave Ogbah away for Murray. Ogbah’s numbers before he went on IR were better than Vernon’s. 

So we gave away a solid OLmen which has been  the biggest hole on the team all year, to get a guy on the DLine who played worst than the guy we gave away for a safety who can’t get on the field and has played 25 games in 4 years and has 1 INT for his career. 

That’s how I can say that...

My issue with the optics of the whole organization (to me at least), is the lack of discipline from the day Freddie took over which has helped to lead to some embarrassing incidents............... There are many parents out there in the world that would not be visiting their kids in prison had they have used more discipline from the day their baby was brought home from the hospital. 

I'm not saying everything that these entitled NFL idiots do is on Freddie.... not even close, but the image from outside of North East Ohio is one of the inmates running the asylum.

Hopefully this benching will send a message to the next fool that who wants to wear kool polka dotted cleats on game day requiring the NFL (ummm, why not Freddie??) to tell him to change, or don't bother coming out for the 2nd half.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

I disagree.

If you want to change the culture of the Browns FOR THE LONG RUN into one that demands professionalism and accountability, you can't cherry pick who you punish and when you punish someone. Basically, you might have to sacrifice one battle to win the overall war.

As much as we hate the Steelers, there's a reason they lost two great talents (and headcase divas) last season, their starting QB, have suffered tons of injuries and yet on December 1st are the #6 seed still.  

Benching the guy for one game is the punishment. Still punishment if it was against the Bengals. Hell for that matter do what really hits them, fine the shit out of him. Using the Steelers as an example of culture is also a stretch. You think they benched their head cases for that type stuff? No they haven’t.  

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I disagree.

Benching him for one of the tougher remaining games is punishing the team as much as the player. The war is almost over so losing this battle pretty much loses the war. I wouldn't surprise if this demoralizes the defense. Just fine the guy and move on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hish747 said:

Benching him for one of the tougher remaining games is punishing the team as much as the player. The war is almost over so losing this battle pretty much loses the war. I wouldn't surprise if this demoralizes the defense. Just fine the guy and move on.

Could've cost us the game. Why punish team? Don't get it. He and Garrett destroyed our season. This game ended everything. I know this team and I feel like they'll quit. 

3 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Could've cost us the game. Why punish team? Don't get it. He and Garrett destroyed our season. This game ended everything. I know this team and I feel like they'll quit. 

Of course they will, because they are mentally weak. 

But let an offending player play because that will teach the team long-term how to be professional. How about you be mad at the dumb ass player who got himself into that position? 

Some of you would literally be the worst coach/boss ever. 

• Thanks 1

I guess it depends on WHAT he did. Hard to gauge the discipline when you don't know the offense. But still, it'd have to be severe to cost him a game and us a solid defensive player. 

I don't know what it was, but considering your team was down it's only legit pass rusher,  without virtually every safety, AND your LT inexplicably develops concussion symptoms on a freakin Wednesday...yeah...it better be pretty serious. If it turns out to be he was 5 minutes late to a meeting, I'm going to be pissed. 

1 hour ago, hish747 said:

WRONG!  The PLAYER screwed his team and teammates. It doesn't bother you that this guy didn't give a rat's asss about his career paying him great $ enough to show up to work (practice) with his teammates?   The war is almost over because we've had too many knuckleheads putting I before team.  In all the years I've followed this team, I've never seen a bigger challenge getting players we need on the field than this year. We gotta do a better job of researching inner chests or we're going to keep getting guys like Randall.

Do you know what GB didn't do with Randall?  Give him a 2nd contract.   We're learning right now what they already knew; but at least they got something in return for him (unlike we will). 

If you blow off work in Corporate America - you don't get coddled and babied.  I promise...

• Upvote 3