THE BROWNS BOARD

If you could have 5 Browns players from the past

Neo

To add to this years roster,  who would they be? It can be from any era and the player would be in the prime of his career. My players would be 

1. Joe Thomas 

2 Ozzie Newsome 

3  Phil Dawson 

4  Eric Turner 

5  Michael Dean Perry

I could have easily said Brian Sipe or Otto Graham, or Jim Brown. But I am giving some credit to Baker since he has shown some improvement, and Chubb and Hunt are the real deal. I thought obviously we could use Thomas to protect Baker's blind side, Phil Dawson because good kickers seem to be taken for granted, MDP because you can never have too many quality defensive linemen, Eric Turner because he was a badass, and Ozzie to give Baker a reliable target.

Let me know what you think. 

Phil Dawson would certainly be nice to have.  Siebert seems totally confused by the winds of the second half of the season.

I think I'd like DE Len Ford to help us out about now.

Ozzie, Joe Thomas, Gene Hickerson

• Upvote 1

Gene Hickerson IS a name that came to mind.....as an  HOF   OG, a position we could really need on this team.   

I also agree with Clay Matthews for his solid steady play at OLB.  

Either  Josh Cribbs or Eric Metcalf.......we need a kick returner.

Erich Barnes......a nasty MoFo at  DB.....

Mike McCormack .....he made the HOF as a Browns   OT......a Right Tackle,  playing on the other side of LT Lou Groza.  (not that we also could not also use Groza at LT)

• Upvote 1

Many of the names on this list were in my thought process.

1. Joe Thomas 

2. Steve Everitt - a lockdown center next to an All Pro Guard solidifies a quality OL. Mike Baab was a formidable center as well but he didn't wear a Browns bandana as a Raven.

3. Clay Matthews

4. Hanford Dixon/Frank Minnifield - either, it doesn't matter, but a CB that puts the fear of God in a QB.

5. Eric Metcalf/Josh Cribbs - either, it doesn't matter, good teams score Special Teams TDs.

17 hours ago, Orion said:

Phil Dawson would certainly be nice to have.

Like I said, it's often taken for granted to have a guy that's pretty much automatic to put points on the board let alone a guy the consistently did it on the shores of Lake Erie. People should not underestimate a man that won us many games and kept us in games during some of the worst times in Cleveland Browns history.

• Like 1

add to roster by Sunday;)

1) LT Joe Thomas-- Never saw a better LT including A.Munoz

2) RG Gene Hickerson-- (Joe Delamielleure/Eric Steinbach, we've had some good ones)

3) LB Clay Matthews with Schobert would be classic

4) S Eric Turner E-Rock, a Kam Chancellor/Jack Tatum of Cleveland 

5) RT Mike McCormack (Cody Risien/Doug Dieken)

• Upvote 1

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 10:59 PM, The Gipper said:

Gene Hickerson IS a name that came to mind.....as an  HOF   OG, a position we could really need on this team.   

I also agree with Clay Matthews for his solid steady play at OLB.  

Either  Josh Cribbs or Eric Metcalf.......we need a kick returner.

Erich Barnes......a nasty MoFo at  DB.....

Mike McCormack .....he made the HOF as a Browns   OT......a Right Tackle,  playing on the other side of LT Lou Groza.  (not that we also could not also use Groza at LT)

Gene Hickerson at 248 lbs would get creamed playing today. He couldn't even start for OSU.

Joe Thomas and Phil Dawson for sure.

Thought about Ozzie, but way too small at 232lbs. The smallest TE playing today is the Titans Delaine Walker at 248.

Clay Matthews and Eric Turner if I had to choose defense, otherwise the vast majority of the greats who played back in the day would be of no help to the 2019 Cleveland Browns.

2 hours ago, Gorka said:

Joe Thomas and Phil Dawson for sure.

Thought about Ozzie, but way too small at 232lbs. The smallest TE playing today is the Titans Delaine Walker at 248.

Clay Matthews and Eric Turner if I had to choose defense, otherwise the vast majority of the greats who played back in the day would be of no help to the 2019 Cleveland Browns.

Oh my God how ignorant again and again and again Jesus wept 

1 hour ago, Zombo said:

For This Game Only:

Eric Turner

Don Rogers

Clay Matthews

Joe Thomas

Joe "Turkey" Jones

I love the choice of Don Rogers. I got the impression that he would have been a great free safety, a rare ballhawk which the Browns could really use.

David Mays - Not just because he's one of the only undefeated QBs we've had against Pittsburgh. But, I kind of like the mystery of how Jack Lambert lost his 2 front teeth as well as why Lambert never wanted to get anywhere near him.

Ozzie Newsome - If Baker his this guy all year - it would have changed everything for him. Just ask Sipe or Kosar...

Eric Turner - Man, do I miss this type of Safety here! 

Clay Matthews - Great job all of you that remembered his invaluable flexibility to play any of 4 LBer positions in the 34 and any of the 3 positions in the 43. He and Ozzie were both drafted by Cleveland in the first round of 1978; making it more than a coincidence that the Browns frequented the playoffs in the 80s more than any other decade after the 60s.

Kevin Mack - Folks, is there anything better than watching a Steeler LBer (like Greg Lloyd) leading with his helmet and ending with a smelling salts wake-up after getting freight trained?  Mack could play FB or Tailback when he came out of Clemson with 4.5 speed (which was great for a guy his size back then). He could also block and catch. If memory serves me right he was a Rookie of the Year after he joined the Browns from the USFL.

7 hours ago, Gorka said:

Comment necessary. We have Chubb and Hunt.

If I had to choose a back I'd take Kevin Mack or Earnest Byner before JB.

You wouldn’t take the Greatest Running back in the NFL regardless of the personnel we had?  

id get creative do some three back sets too 

Well lots of good names already.

After today's game, give me guys who can WRAP and TACKLE. Our DBs look like human pin balls out there, it was awful to watch yet again, so here I will add:

Thane Gash, Felix Wright, Clarence Scott, Thom Darden, & Al Gross. THESE GUYS COULD TACKLE and COVER.

I just don't get why the basic tackling fundamentals don't apply today. And it's not just a Browns problem, it's an NFL problem. 

Yeah, that's why we lost today IMHO. CYO kids tackle better than these guys.

On 11/30/2019 at 12:56 PM, D Bone said:

1) Eric Turner

2) Clay Matthews

3) Ozzie Newsome

4) Michael Dean Perry

5) Bernie Kosar (The older 'diminished skills' version to mentor Baker) 

I officially change my answer to: None

I like all of those dudes far too much to subject them to this team. 

• Haha 1