THE BROWNS BOARD

The Article Our Team Should Read Together

jiggins7919

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/columns/2019/11/28/The-Steelers-will-beat-the-Browns-Here-s-why-nfl-football-afc-north/stories/201911280129

This is not just a football game. It is a referendum on two football franchises — the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Cleveland Browns version 2.0.

One has secured its place among the NFL’s flagship enterprises.

The other went 0-16 two years ago.

One owns six Vince Lombardi Trophies.

The other has never won a playoff game (that is, if you believe these Browns were born in 1999, which they were, whereas the Browns of fabled football lore play in Baltimore).

One, for all its recent drama, remains a model of stability, having employed just three coaches since 1969.

The other goes through coaches like coffee filters. Its past six, over 11 years, were fired immediately after losses to the Steelers.

That is the deep background, and if you believe in the force of history, it is pertinent going into a game with so much at stake. You trust one team’s culture over the other’s.

But the immediate background might be more pertinent, and it could be encapsulated this way: The Browns punked the Steelers two weeks ago and have doubled down since.

Freddie Kitchens’ guys ran around delivering head shots like flu shots that night. Tensions boiled over (you’ve probably seen the replay), when Myles Garrett swung a helmet at Mason Rudolph’s uncovered head.

The Browns, rightfully, expressed regret for Garrett’s actions. Garrett issued a written apology to the Steelers and Rudolph the next day, as did Browns owners Jimmy and Dee Haslam.

“We sincerely apologize to Mason Rudolph and the Pittsburgh Steelers,” wrote the Haslams.

And then they took it all back.

Garrett, six days later, accused Rudolph of hurling a racial slur, raising all kinds of questions. Such as, why did Garrett wait so long to speak up? Why would he publicly apologize to a man he claims slurred him and who publicly called him “cowardly”?

Next thing you knew, Browns players were suddenly backing Garrett’s contention, and Dee Haslam was wearing a Garrett-themed beanie to a game.

The Browns, through their actions, essentially rescinded their apology. They double-punked the Steelers. Defensive lineman Sheldon Richardson even poked fun at Rudolph, wishing for his appearance in the rematch.

“Did you see him last game?” Richardson said.

This already was a big game. It is now a Holy War at Steelers headquarters. Steelers players were livid with Garrett over his actions and what they perceived as his lie. The other head shots that night didn’t sit well, either, from coach Mike Tomlin on down. And now there’s trash talk coming from a 5-6 team?

All of that will contribute to a Steelers victory. More tangibly, so will this …

— The Steelers will be better prepared this time, though still woefully undermanned. The untold story of Game 1 was that they hung around and had a chance to tie (if Johnny Holton gets a call or makes a catch, they might have) despite in-game injuries that forced them to use receivers such as Tevin Jones, who'd never played and barely practiced.

— The quarterback play will improve if “Duck” Hodges merely refrains from throwing it to men wearing orange helmets. Tomlin didn’t exactly set the bar at unreachable heights when he said of Hodges, “I expect him to not kill us,” but he absolutely made the right move. He read the psyche of his team and chose the quarterback who has given it a jolt of positive energy over the one who, for the moment, appears beaten.

That doesn’t mean Hodges will play well. It just means Tomlin made the correct call.

— The Steelers will have a better running game with Benny Snell Jr. Plus, Garrett’s out. So is Maurkice Pouncey, but the Steelers are 10-1 in games B.J. Finney has started (at center or guard).

The Steelers defense began to figure out Baker “Roll to the Right” Mayfield last time. He started 10 for 14 but went 7 for 18 thereafter. There were missed chances for interceptions (Steven Nelson, for one). Don’t expect the Steelers to finish with zero takeaways and just one sack again.

— If one team blows up, it’ll be the Browns, who evoke the old Vontaze Burfict Bengals in this respect: You wonder if they can handle prosperity. They lead the league in penalties. They nearly handed a game to the Steelers’ JV squad. And after three straight home wins, they now find themselves in the pressurized role of favorite, heading into a heated environment, desperately trying to measure up to Big Brother.

As ESPN analyst Louis Riddick put it, “I’m not convinced (the Browns have) the football character required to go on a run.”

Maybe they do. Maybe they really are different this year. The talent’s there. Maybe they will finally arrive, 20 years into their existence.

Better bet: They’ll lose, like the Cleveland Browns usually do.

The author forgot one thing now this is not his fathers Pittsburgh Steelers. They are not that good of a team. And while he can claim character issues for the Browns, the main character issue is just that they have not learned how to win very well. But that they seem to be learning it. And of course there’s the issue of the fact that the Browns are just a Far more talented team. That’s something that ultimately should show out.

• Like 1

how stupid to whine about head shots. How many times have the Browns suffered head shots from the steelers over the years?

The dirty play cheapshot steelers can go to hell, says I. The NFL has played footsie with the superbowl $$$$$$$ making steelers for years at other teams, especially the Browns' expense.

The shoe is on the other foot - NOW the NFL wants to stop the violence. "it's a violent game" the steelers have said for years...

Shove this, tomlin and  author of the article:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/afc-north-timeline-browns-steelers-division-violence/1s5mmef8sc0g51xfi7ydanvssj

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

how stupid to whine about head shots. How many times have the Browns suffered head shots from the steelers over the years?

The dirty play cheapshot steelers can go to hell, says I. The NFL has played footsie with the superbowl $$$$$$$ making steelers for years at other teams, especially the Browns' expense.

The shoe is on the other foot - NOW the NFL wants to stop the violence. "it's a violent game" the steelers have said for years...

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/afc-north-timeline-browns-steelers-division-violence/1s5mmef8sc0g51xfi7ydanvssj

I know man. I couldn't believe how frustrating this article was, and I truly hope our coach reads it in front of the team. I realize we don't care about outside noise, but this...THIS is maddening. Screw those assholes on every way possible. 

The author is right about one thing. This game is the EXACT game the Browns would PREVIOUSLY lose. We'd have a big game, a game to finally separate us from years of losing, and we'd lose. Every time we thought we might be making strides, it was false hope. 

This might be just a game, but man, it's a HUGE game. There's so much riding on this that it's numbing to dwell on. This could literally be the game where we climb over these jerks, or it's the game that cements our status as the little brother that will never be more than a pestering nuisance. It's not too much to say that this game is our season, and it could also have bigger consequences for our coaching staff. We lost to Brandon Allen of the Broncos, and we CAN'T lose to this 3rd string QB. 

11 hours ago, The Gipper said:

The author forgot one thing now this is not his fathers Pittsburgh Steelers. They are not that good of a team. And while he can claim character issues for the Browns, the main character issue is just that they have not learned how to win very well. But that they seem to be learning it. And of course there’s the issue of the fact that the Browns are just a Far more talented team. That’s something that ultimately should show out.

Like  our pal Vag, whoever  wrote  that article is  living on past Steeler  glory. Tradition doesn't  win games, talent  does. Hate to tell  him with Njoku  back, the Browns have  more  talent  at every  skill  position on offense-  and it's not  even  close. 

PS, almost  handed the game to the Steelers  JV squad? I suppose  Pittsburgh  mentality  considers 21-7 "almost". The national  media  says you got  dominated  in that game, and thoroughly  outplayed. 

They have to hope their  defense  can win this game  for them, like  it did  against the  Bengals. Game on, Squealers. Were not the lap dog that's  going to  roll over  and play  dead for you anymore.  The Browns have  something to  prove  in this  game, that all the  preseason  hype wasn't just a mirage. 

Denzel  Ward said it  best. We have to play  smart  and keep our  cool if Pittsburgh resorts to retaliatory  cheap  shots.  There's no doubt in my mind  the NFL office has told the Refs for this game to have zero  tolerance for extra curricular  BS. 

10 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Did read the article  Cal, and you're  SO right. It didn't  even mention any of the  Hines Ward cheap  shots.  Apparently  that booger thinks its just fine when  our guys  play  dirty. But when  we're  on the  recieving  end, cry like  babies. 

• Upvote 1

Everything the author said about our team was true. Everything he predicted happened. He knew we weren't going to get past the history of ineptitude and we showed little heart. I guess we'll have to be happy with beating the Steelers and Ravens once this year because we've literally never done it before and I don't see it happening again. 

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

Everything the author said about our team was true. Everything he predicted happened. He knew we weren't going to get past the history of ineptitude and we showed little heart. I guess we'll have to be happy with beating the Steelers and Ravens once this year because we've literally never done it before and I don't see it happening again. 

I agree to a point...the Browns are short-handed too and he never mentions it. Browns had a JV front and secondary. Our o line can't pass block consistently. 

Dorsey has a big big problem. Hate to say it, this team just lacks football intelligence. Who cares how talented you look on paper. That was a disaster today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

Baker got a clear helmet to helmet...

NO CALL.

of course.

You have got to be the whiniest Nancy boy on this board. 

Of course you can't see this, because you blocked me because I kept reminding you that you are the whiniest Nancy boy on this board. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Sad post. Bad energy. We all knew what losing Myles meant, man. That hurt this team but we got played, Myles got played. 

Baker isn’t there yet, offensive line isn’t, offensive playcalling isn’t, D-Line was out of its 2 best pass rushers, youth everywhere, etc.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

This wasn't just a game. This was an encapsulation of our team since returning in 1999. Favored, with the season on the line, and a chance to break through so many painful walls.... 

It's always tough after a loss, but this is different. Feels different. Feels like the end. 

It IS sad, but we've all seen years where the Browns had no chance. Not anywhere near enough talent, etc etc. Wrong draft picks, wrong coaches, it's apparently tough to get it all right at once.

After watching the Patriots lose to the Texans yesterday... there were times when Brady was ducking for his life again and again, and couldn't find any open receivers. Their center got injured, then it went downhill after that. James White got me a lot of points in fantasy football, and the Texan's secondary allowed Watson to get me a lot of points.

Brady's offensive line was hit with a few injuries, Brady doesn't have fast freight train Gronk anymore to dramatically make plays for them..and Buttichek and the coaches didn't look all that smart with playcalling at times.

It's taken a long bunch of years to get oh...so....close. And some of the good players bolted for other teams to have a chance of whining. A healthy Browns team would have rolled in this second game. And I do believe Garrett got baited. Nobody has ever seen a qb go after a big defensive end like that, just because he got sacked again. Without key players on the defensive line, in the secondary, and offensive line - to lose 13 to 20 is sad - but far, far from being hopeless.

The weakened Browns weren't world class strong across their team in the first place - losing Garrett hurt alot.

But Schobert and Wilson are amazing. And the brilliant Tom Brady had no choice but to look like Baker Mayfield on a tough day.

it just happens. What is really sad, is the idea that it's Kitchens' fault. These Browns love these coaches and will leave it all out on the field every Sunday. Trouble is, there are times when it just isn't enough, just like the Patriots losing to the Texans last night.

In conclusion, after all the smug talk about the Browns-Squealers rivalry not being a rivalry anymore...

oh, no, no, no - dammit - they KNOW it's ON. lol

Denver was supposed to be the start of our big comeback. It was the beginning of the second half of the season with a weaker schedule and Denver was playing their third string QB. I had lost hope of our play off chances when we didn't win that "must win" game. This team should have made the play offs this year. Even if we were one and done in the playoffs we had the talent and the schedule to be in the playoffs this year.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

Denver was supposed to be the start of our big comeback. It was the beginning of the second half of the season with a weaker schedule and Denver was playing their third string QB. I had lost hope of our play off chances when we didn't win that "must win" game. This team should have made the play offs this year. Even if we were one and done in the playoffs we had the talent and the schedule to be in the playoffs this year.

Add  in other  games  early in the  season (Rams & Seahawks) where we shot  ourselves in the foot. A bunch of  freak  plays  against the  Patriots.  It just wasn't  meant to be.  

That's the  frustrating thing this year- there's  enough  talent  on the Browns to make the playoffs, but we fell  far short of  expectations. Oh well, it happens,  you only  need to look at the  Rams or Falcons having a  massive  Super Bowl  hangover.