THE BROWNS BOARD

It's Steeler Week

Icecube

22 minutes ago, hoorta said:

It would be typically Mike Brownsian to take Young, and not a QB. But I say daughter Katie will talk him out of dementia, and draft a QB. So easy- Bengals will take a QB in April...  Bottle of wine? Sure....  

All right...You're on!!  :D

We will need to remind ourselves of this as we get closer. 

It's only Monday.  We just had one of our best games of the year.  But it's already packed away because,  It's Steeler Week!

We Gotta Beat Them  _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _!

Browns Steelers
Rushing 124.2 87.9
Passing 230 200.6

run def 124 103.5
pass def 214.5 217.2

Like the way it happened or not, the rivalry has been rekindled.  We now hate them more than a couple of weeks ago and you know that they now hate us in a way that they haven't for decades ('cos we've been crap...and 'cos we smashed them over the head with their own helmet).

Although they are a shadow of what they've been because of their QB situation and injuries, the game is being played in Pittsburgh.  Their fans will be at the top of their game...hating us as loudly as they can.  I would suspect that season ticket holders will NOT be selling their tickets for this weekend's game.  

They STILL play pretty good defense.  And we struggle playing good defenses.  Not only that, but they may be switching to their 3rd string QB.....and you KNOW how lousy we are against 3rd string QB's.  (that Denver game haunts us)

They haven't been able to run the ball well, having their starting RB hurt with a shoulder....but stopping the run is a weakness of ours.  Their passing attack is weakened because of their QB & receiver issues (that'll do it, as we know from 20 years of it).  But our pass rush won't be the same without Myles...although we will have Ogunjobi back....Vernon however is a question mark.  

Our offense has to continue to gel and make plays while moving the chains.  After our last fateful meeting, Baker said while still on the field that the offense was not anywhere near where they needed to be.  And he was right.  We won 21-7 while getting a pile of turnovers.  Without all those Steeler turnovers it would've been a much different game.  

The offense was good this past Sunday, but Pittsburgh does NOT have Miami's defense.  

The Steelers are ahead of us in the division and in the wild card race.  We MUST WIN this game!   Go Browns!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Lamar Jackson- a running back who happens to be able to throw the ball..... 

He literally hadn't missed a throw when I was watching. It's insane. Right now he's 15-20 for 190 yards, 5 TDs, no picks. He's also got 100 yards rushing. 

About time this thread was launched...

Sure their D is still the strength of their team, but our O is a good scrimmage better than the one that hung blackjack on them just two short weeks ago.

Defensively... we just sit back in a variety of zones and play confuse-a-duck.

Not even Heinz will save them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Lamar Jackson- a running back who happens to be able to throw the ball..... 

So was Otto Graham...

Amazing how many here still cling to Wentz panning out yet refuse to acknowledge Jackson's arrival.

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Nah, there's plenty of tickets available- if you're willing to pay for them. 100 level seats can be had for less than $200.  

On the morning show on 92.3 The Fan there was talk that 15 buses full of Browns fans are going to Heinz Field. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

So was Otto Graham...

Amazing how many here still cling to Wentz panning out yet refuse to acknowledge Jackson's arrival.

I seriously underestimated Jackson when he came out. Marked improvement in his accuracy..  We were wishin' and a hopein' he 'd be hurt by now running as much as he does..  But he's an amazingly shifty runner who to date has easily managed to avoid taking big hits. 

Oh yeah OHIO STATE/Michigan  -and-. CLEVELAND/Pittsburgh back to back  -and-.  plenty of leftovers all weekend.  Give thanks this week.

GO BUCKEYES and BROWNS, is this a great country or what !  

• Thanks 2

The 2004 and 2005 Colts, the 2007 Patriots, the 2011 Packers, the 2013 Broncos and last years Chiefs.

Every time a seemingly unstoppable offense emerges in the NFL, a defense somewhere steps up to show that there isn't such a thing.    Lamar is fun as hell to watch and what he's doing is fantastic, but it's not without precedent or being indefensible.      Despite his improvement throwing, he still has limitations as a passer and still has a throwing motion that can cost him some needed completions at times. 

I'll be watching closely next week because the Niners have the dline and athletic ability at Linebacker to give the Ravens a large problem scoring touchdowns.

Ohhh boy, it’s Steeler week, and this one definitely has a little extra to it.  It’s not a stretch to say this is the biggest game our new franchise has played in since the 2007 Bengals game we lost that would’ve gotten us into the playoffs. 

A win gets us to 6-6 AND sweeps the Steelers so we’d own the tie-breaker.  It also gets us to 3-0 in the division, .500 overall in DECEMBER, and puts us somehow in the freaking driver’s seat to get to 7-6 after playing the Bengals the following week. 

Make no mistake, this is NOT going to be an easy game.  More than likely, it’s going to be an all-out shitfest.  Points will likely be at a premium, turnovers will be paramount, and just one missed FG could turn the tide.  I’m serious, I see this game being something like 20-18, and we MUST follow the same recipe as our last victory against them that had us not turning it over, finally capitalizing on an INT late in the game, taking what’s available, and being ok to punt the ball.  This will likely be the type of game where a couple of amazing punts and subsequent coverage can swing the game our way.  We can’t have the killer, “drive killing” type plays.  Last week we had an errant snap on 2nd and 1 from the 50 that caused us to punt the ball.  We were driving and likely had a deep ball dialed in on that play.  We never got to find out because we snapped the ball when the QB wasn’t ready, and that’s the kind of thing that CAN’T happen.

The Steelers will likely bench Rudolph in favor of their 3rd string guy, and normally that would be a good thing, but I have a feeling that their defense is going to be SO amped up to play, that their offense won’t have to do much.  We haven’t scored a defensive TD in what feels like forever, and I think we can break that dry spell Sunday.  If we do, that could be enough to win us the game. 

We’re getting Njoku, Ogunjobi, and HOPEFULLY Vernon back.  Our defense certainly tried hard against the Fins, but the lack of pass rush was very evident on so many passing plays.  I don’t have the stats handy, but it appeared that we blitzed FAR more often last week to make up for Myles’ absence, and I wasn’t terribly pleased with the results.  I believe we’ll play more coverage this week, and we’ll FORCE their 3rd string QB to make precision throws down the field.  If things don’t end up going our way this year, I think we’ll point back to Myles Garrett being the reason we didn’t have a shot at the playoffs.  His absence really is that painful.

This is a huge game for so many reasons.  There’s going to be a ton of feelings on both side of the ball, tempers will flare, and we’ll HAVE to keep our heads this game.  We certainly CAN win this game, and what’s more, we SHOULD win.  It’s been a long time since I could honestly say that, and I sincerely hope we handle our business Sunday at 1pm. 

Happy Thanksgiving, now go kick some freaking ass. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Kvoethe said:

I live in steeler country...they are nervous on the radio...talking how if they lose they can kiss wildcard goodbye.

All the callers rooting for duck dynasty...the 3rd stringer...

honestly,  even if they win...and kill our chances, I do not see any way they make the playoffs.  After the Browns, they play the Cardinals, Bills, Jets and Ravens.  They have the opportunity to lose all those games....and the Raiders or one of the AFCS will take that last spot. 

3 hours ago, Vagitron said:

When is Jussie smollett coming off suspension? 

We can beat the Steelers without  Garrett. How's that stud (in your  imagination) QB Rudolph  the Reindeer  working  out for you?  

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Who are you talking about?

Smollett was the black  actor  who  dreamed up that fake  racist  attack in  Chicago.  

2 hours ago, Zombo said:

Steelers officially starting The Duck at QB.

Z

Minus Pouncey- he had better learn to Duck. Pressure up the middle- the bane of QBs....  I didn't watch their game against the Bungles, I'll have to pull it up on my Sunday Ticket replays to see if he's got any mobility. 

PS- I did notice checking the depth chart- Ghoolie's pal Paxton Lynch is there as a backup to the backup....   

PPS- And I'll paraphrase one of the comments I saw in the power rankings of the week. The Browns lose to the Steelers, and their playoff hopes are as cooked as a Thanksgiving turkey....  

3 hours ago, hoorta said:

We can beat the Steelers without  Garrett. How's that stud (in your  imagination) QB Rudolph  the Reindeer  working  out for you?  

Smollett was the black  actor  who  dreamed up that fake  racist  attack in  Chicago.  

I've never been all aboard the Rudolph train. I thought he might be the guy but he has only gotten worse. Rudolph also didn't say anything racist to Garrett. No one in the locker room of either team knew a damn thing about it. Garrett said it to try and save face. 

All the steelers need is decent qb play. It isn't going to be from Rudolph. 

27 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

I've never been all aboard the Rudolph train. I thought he might be the guy but he has only gotten worse. Rudolph also didn't say anything racist to Garrett. No one in the locker room of either team knew a damn thing about it. Garrett said it to try and save face. 

1) Duck is an unknown quantity. One nice pass does not a career make. Fitzpatrick and Bush saved you the embarrassment of losing to a pathetic Bengals team.  

2) Garrett was over the top- sure. The pass was already gone, and with eight seconds left, no need to bear hug Mason to the ground. I'm one of the few around here trying to be objective enough to say there's the possibility Garrett was trying to pad his sack total. He should have just dropped the helmet. As others have said- why in the hell did Tomlin call a pass play with the game out of reach in the first place? You're not scoring twice with less than 10 seconds left. It would have taken a miracle to just score once considering the field position. Myles did mention something to Freddie after the game (that he said he couldn't repeat), not like he cooked up the race card a couple days later. It's not like Rudolph is totally innocent either. We're not buying your argument "his hand was just stuck". There's that one still showing Myles' helmet was about 1\2 pulled off. 

2 hours ago, Vagitron said:

You and Rudolph....both liars.  

You do not have one goddamned iota of what was or was not said.  And I am certain that you are not capable of understanding the evidentiary principles I have outlined on here wherein it would be highly credible what he said.

33 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Any truth to the rumors that there could be really bad weather this coming weekend in Pittsburgh? I think I heard them talking on 92.3 about the Browns worrying about getting the team into Pittsburgh Saturday. 

A little unsightly but nothing we aren't used to in this part of the world.

Screenshot_20191126-235017_The Weather Channel.jpg