THE BROWNS BOARD

The Truth about Myles/Rudolph

jrb12711

20 hours ago, Gorka said:

1. Don't use idioms that you do not understand.

2. Don't cite articles approaching their 2nd birthday. After 2 years of decline viewership this year is up ~5%.

• Like 1

I don't post much anymore but since this has happened I'm very intrigued by this whole saga. I have been working in another state and have been away from my family for a long time so this has been something to keep me entertained.

I have been intrigued the most about how extreme some of the responses have been. Then I've been seeing people say if so and so did this how would people have reacted? But my question is how would people have reacted if this was 15 or 20 years ago? For one thing I don't think people would be calling for Myles to be put in jail. People are so sensitive anymore anything hurts their feelings.

• Upvote 1

The outcry from Steeler's fans has been the undoing. They are some of the whiniest fans in football when they get a taste of their own medicine. They were gonna cry about any excuse they could find at being beaten up and down the field. We would have heard nothing but whines and whimpers of illegal hits all week nonstop if not for Myles bitch smacking Rudolph with his own helmet. They all are quick to put fat boy neck tattoo up on their shoulders for kicking a man on the ground but cry foul for their racist QB. 

14 minutes ago, Neo said:

I don't post much anymore but since this has happened I'm very intrigued by this whole saga. I have been working in another state and have been away from my family for a long time so this has been something to keep me entertained.

I have been intrigued the most about how extreme some of the responses have been. Then I've been seeing people say if so and so did this how would people have reacted? But my question is how would people have reacted if this was 15 or 20 years ago? For one thing I don't think people would be calling for Myles to be put in jail. People are so sensitive anymore anything hurts their feelings.

I don't think anyone wants him put in jail.  It didn't amount to that, but it could have if the lineman wasn't there to soften the blow and/or minimize the amount of swings.

Since you have a family, imagine if some kid rips off your son's helmet and cracks him over the head with it.  Would it be a big deal to you?

If this was a fistfight, certainly there would have been suspensions, but quite honestly I would have found it entertaining.  That's not what happened.

In 1983, a guy by the name of Louis Resto fought a guy named Billy Collins.  Resto was charged with attempted murder for putting plaster in his boxing gloves and served 2.5 years in prison.  Billy Collins died from his injuries in 1984.  When you go far enough outside the rules of the sport, the sport can't protect you. 

The frightening part is not what happened, but what could of happened.  The fact that Garrett's playing time is the issue around here, is rather disappointing.  Some people are too short-sighted to understand what they ALMOST saw.

Based on what happened I think Garrett should play again one day, but had he knocked Rudolph out, peace out dummy.  I'm with the NFL 100% on HIS suspension, regardless of #Whispergate.

If the same exact situation would have played out in reverse, the same people on here saying things like "it was like a pillow hitting Rudolph" would be demanding a public hanging for the Steelers player who did it to Baker. 

I don't have a problem with Garrett being suspended for the rest of the season. My problem lies with Rudolph getting off without a second lost to suspension. My hope is that he gets his a week from tomorrow. 

• Upvote 4

33 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

If the same exact situation would have played out in reverse, the same people on here saying things like "it was like a pillow hitting Rudolph" would be demanding a public hanging for the Steelers player who did it to Baker. 

I don't have a problem with Garrett being suspended for the rest of the season. My problem lies with Rudolph getting off without a second lost to suspension. My hope is that he gets his a week from tomorrow. 

45 minutes ago, Kvoethe said:

I have several african american friends and they think he is lying...calling him Myles Smollet

Hahahaha

Again....I have explained on here a couple of times like you were all 4 year olds how in a court of law...which I know this is not, how his claim would be considered highly credible. 

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

Would be nice -but- I'd bet that Rudy could play without a helmet that game and won't even catch a cold.

The referees will carry extra yellow flags in their pockets just for that game.

41 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Again....I have explained on here a couple of times like you were all 4 year olds how in a court of law...which I know this is not, how his claim would be considered highly credible. 

What's even more credible is every shred of evidence suggests he didn't say it.  NFL said they have no audio, none of the refs heard it, none of his teammates heard it, Rudolph's AA coach said he wouldn't say that, etc.  You go into court with that argument and a 4 year old would probably mop the floor with you.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, htownbrown said:

What's even more credible is every shred of evidence suggests he didn't say it.  NFL said they have no audio, none of the refs heard it, none of his teammates heard it, Rudolph's AA coach said he wouldn't say that, etc.  You go into court with that argument and a 4 year old would probably mop the floor with you.

Do you really want to compare your training and experience to mine when it comes to what constitutes "credible evidence"?  

The fact is, you are just dead wrong about that, and allow me to explain why: 

Let's look at what you claim to be evidence.  

A. The NFL has no audio.   There is no NFL audio of any of the "dialogue"  that happened.  Good bad or indifferent.  You can't prove a negative with a negative.  Its like saying:  because there is no turd in htown's toilet, he must have never in his life ever had to take a shit. 

B. And,  Did you see the video?  None of the refs and none of the teammates were anywhere close enough to hear anything that was going on in a face to face confrontation like that....There are bodies flying around, men grunting....and a ton of crowd noise.  They can't say they heard it....because they cannot attest to anything that was said at that point where the two of them were down on the ground.  They CANNOT say that   A said this...and B said that....or that "I heard everything that was said and B did not say anything"  

C.  So Rudolph's AA coach said he would never say that?  First off, WTF is an AA coach...and what is his relationship to Rudolph,  and can he be qualified as a character witness.  Furthermore, I am sure that many people could probably say "Oh, he is not the kind of guy that would say that.....but then that would be OK....if  Rudolph were not put into a very stressful situation.  He had thrown 4 Ints. he team was being whipped every way shape or form. He was frustrated, angry and he had just be pounded again by a guy that had been in his grill all night and there he was again, slamming him to the turf (which actually...Myles could have given him a lot worse).  It is certainly highly possible, highly possible that all that had built up, and that he had done something that, yes, certainly was stupid and  out of character of him to do.   Just as, clearly, obviously, Myles did something that was stupid and out of character for him.  In fact, equally or more credible would be the testimony of Myles teammates and coaches and friends etc..and whatever an AA coach is, that it would not be in his character to swing that helmet at him....

So, what are we left with?   

The same evidence we had before..   The instantaneous "excited utterance"  or physical action or reaction.  It was clear that at that moment something happened to cause that  harsh reaction.  Furthermore, there was the statement made to Freddie in the locker room immediately after the incident.  These lend credibility to Garrett's claim. 

So, when you reach the age of 4, let us all know. 

• Thanks 1

A white QB with a black head coach and black teammates being hunted by black pass-rushers... yeah, no way that could be bad if it got out.

I think we all know he said it.

He said it as he was trying to get Garrett off of him, while he ripped at Garretts helmet. That's why Garrett grabbed at him through the OL and ripped him up by his face. If you watch you can see the moment that Garrett's entire body language changes to attack mode... but even then he allows himself to be ushered away, content with ripping off his head until Rudolph creates a scene "to get his helmet back", but instead of asking Garrett for his helmet back he throws a punch at Garrett which in return Garrett decides to give him his helmet back. Pretty obvious that Mason deserved what he got and even had he been hit with the crown of the helmet- IT WOULD NOT HAVE KILLED HIM. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Do you really want to compare your training and experience to mine when it comes to what constitutes "credible evidence"?  

The fact is, you are just dead wrong about that, and allow me to explain why: 

Let's look at what you claim to be evidence.  

A. The NFL has no audio.   There is no NFL audio of any of the "dialogue"  that happened.  Good bad or indifferent.  You can't prove a negative with a negative.  Its like saying:  because there is no turd in htown's toilet, he must have never in his life ever had to take a shit. 

B. And,  Did you see the video?  None of the refs and none of the teammates were anywhere close enough to hear anything that was going on in a face to face confrontation like that....There are bodies flying around, men grunting....and a ton of crowd noise.  They can't say they heard it....because they cannot attest to anything that was said at that point where the two of them were down on the ground.  They CANNOT say that   A said this...and B said that....or that "I heard everything that was said and B did not say anything"  

C.  So Rudolph's AA coach said he would never say that?  First off, WTF is an AA coach...and what is his relationship to Rudolph,  and can he be qualified as a character witness.  Furthermore, I am sure that many people could probably say "Oh, he is not the kind of guy that would say that.....but then that would be OK....if  Rudolph were not put into a very stressful situation.  He had thrown 4 Ints. he team was being whipped every way shape or form. He was frustrated, angry and he had just be pounded again by a guy that had been in his grill all night and there he was again, slamming him to the turf (which actually...Myles could have given him a lot worse).  It is certainly highly possible, highly possible that all that had built up, and that he had done something that, yes, certainly was stupid and  out of character of him to do.   Just as, clearly, obviously, Myles did something that was stupid and out of character for him.  In fact, equally or more credible would be the testimony of Myles teammates and coaches and friends etc..and whatever an AA coach is, that it would not be in his character to swing that helmet at him....

So, what are we left with?   

The same evidence we had before..   The instantaneous "excited utterance"  or physical action or reaction.  It was clear that at that moment something happened to cause that  harsh reaction.  Furthermore, there was the statement made to Freddie in the locker room immediately after the incident.  These lend credibility to Garrett's claim. 

So, when you reach the age of 4, let us all know. 

In this instance AA obviously means African American.  

Even if the accusation is "credible", which I'm entitled to believe it's not in this context, it's not an actual defense to criminal prosecution for assault.  That would have to be self-defense, which this isn't the case obviously.  He might have justified that with a punch, but not a helmet.  Especially, when there were plenty of people to "protect" him.  It's a moot point, unless you're aiming for a reduced sentence.

I'm not even sure that would work if you tried to charge Rudolph with some sort of hate crime.  That requires facts that don't exist in this case.

Now, in civil court maybe.  Those are clown shows if you get the right judge.

But if you think the NFL gives a shit about that defense, you're nuts.  At the moment, they don't have liability insurance for head trauma.  There's not an insurance company in the world that will provide it.  They're not going to take that risk and who can blame them? 

On 11/21/2019 at 10:49 PM, Tour2ma said:

First... no one was "mic'd up" for the game. NFL Films does the mic'ing up and they did not elect to do so that nite. That said.... A nationally televised game gets more cameras and field mics than regional games, so there might be some sound out there somewhere...

Second... appeals are all about impressing the appeals honchos with your sincere regrets for whatever you did... and that starts with how you dress. I saw MG arriving at the league office and literally said aloud, "Oh shit." He wore an electric blue suit over a turtleneck to a setting that demanded a medium gray over a white shirt with a dark green tie. Visuals matter... I assure you Myles started off in a hole.

On top of the above he springs "the slur". True or not it rings of excuse... and that's not what you want to project.

I agree with those that expect the NFLPA to sue.

Last... Today, NFL Live essentially did an entire show on Myles' "revelation". Consensus was that while , if true, it helped to understand his reaction, it would not impact his punishment. Only one "panelist", Ryan Clark,  commented that they had already heard that a slur was involved.

Ryan also alluded to Rudolph having some social media history with "racial issues" ... deleted tweets and the like... but neither Ryan nor google has elaborated.

I have to restate that to not have replaced "indefinite" with a number, is just wrong...

Well said!  Post of the thread IMO...

There's still some things that make me question the racial slur while I still found a cleat to MG's groin and Rudolph's attempt to  pry his helmet off from behind worthy of suspension (and sufficient enough for MG to be upset).

1. In the situation where Rudolph had zero composure - it seems kind of strange he had a split second reasoning to carefully whisper the N-bomb so the African American that snapped him the football didn't hear him in the collapsed pocket right next to him. 

2. Let's say Pouncey did hear him - has anyone informed Pouncey he's an African America too?  Although, it IS possible that on a night Pitt's OL didn't hit anyone all night - Pouncey realized he still had 8 seconds to slap and kick a restrained opponent (MG).

3. MG had a mic in his face right after the game with a perfect opportunity to let all of America hear (6 days before his hearing) something along the line of "I wish I exercised better restraint to the racial slur I found totally unacceptable."  Not that the NFL would have any intentions to do this to investigate the claim any further than they did. But, that would have opened himself up to questions like "Why didn't the African American who snapped him the ball right before the pocket collapsed next to Pouncey hear this?"  Seems like he should have been kicking and slapping the guy with the hateful words about HIS race instead slapping and kicking the DeCastro-restrained guy in his race.   Westside Story gone wrong...

4. The appointed NFL Rep to meet with MG was African American James Thrash. What better way to get the understanding Pouncey previously denied or conveniently didn't hear.  Goodell's God Complex already had the punishment decided (despite the dog and pony show delaying the obvious).  This never had the chance.  The longer this goes on you get the media with big audiences removing the first part of the video showing Rudolph's very punish worthy wrong doing beyond the wrist slap. They want a BAD guy and it ain't going to be a Pittsburgh Steeler.  It never is - even when James Harrison TKO'd 3 different Cleveland Browns with the crown of his helmet sitting on the neck circumference of an oak tree (which was a weapon to Cribbs, Mo Mass-No Mas, and McCoy).  I think he just got wrist slap fines for 2 of them and a 1 game suspension and fine for the other. 

5. I'm suddenly hearing everyone on this franchise knew of the racial slur that night.  That may very well be true.  If it is true - that makes Jimmy H the scariest petrified church mouse on the planet.  YES Jimmy we understand you are a small market franchise that never wins more than 7 games while willing to be 1-31 in back to back seasons.   You are very fortunate to be 1 of 32 owners receiving the biggest revenue sharing profits from a television contract ever (divided up equally and dwarfing the home attendance revenues).  He pretty much threw his #1 overall investment of a draft under the bus by refusing to mention the racial slur and pretending his team was the one that was wrong.  Just when it appeared it was difficult to find less of a man than Rudolph - here comes Jimmy to the rescue.

6. I heard a great take on this from an African American sports radio host here in Tampa - Ian Beckles (who played OL for the Bus and Eagles).  He said he "didn't like the racial slur if it happened; but that doesn't excuse resorting to a weapon.  Aren't we as a society trying to prevent reactions to name-calling/bullying in the form using a weapon?    A 275 pound fitness freak swinging a helmet at a guy without a helmet is a weapon that can permanently disable/kill anyone." His co-host asked what IS the appropriate response?  His reply was - "What is so wrong with old school that just uses fists or shoving?  Yes, a fist gets you kicked out of a game and if there's only 8 seconds left - it gets you suspended for 1 week."   He's right!  Inevitably, there's going to be media personalities like Colin Cowherd that are going to make sure they edit out all of what Rudolph did to paint up Garrett as the unprovoked thug that tried to seriously injure/kill someone over the sneakers he was wearing.  When Baker set the record for TD passes as a rookie on a team coming off 0-16 football - the angle and slant became "he hasn't beaten any teams with winning records" instead of fessing up he was wrong that Baker couldn't make it as an NFL QB.  It looks like some media can get their credentials out of Captain Crunch today...

3 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

Gee, the NFL fined miss mason $50,000. Kinda steep for being “innocent”

Seems pretty chicken shittt if there's REALLY a racial slur on top of his cleat to the groin and attempt to remove Garrett's helmet the FULL video showed(not to be confused with the edited down videos some media are carefully selecting to show to paint the villain).  Roger Goodell is moving 1 step closer to the attracting the WWWF audiences aside from other countries to feed the TV network monopoly in tact even more...  Owners aren't going to bite off the hand feeding them - see Jimmy Church Mouse apology to Pittsburgh as evidence.

If anything, letting this QB continue to play is a good thing for the Cleveland Browns. He treated a defense that longed for turnovers to 4 INTs. I broke out the Christmas music and played Here Comes Santa Claus every time Tomlin allowed him to take the field with the offense.

Edited by Flugel
typo from type A
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

1. Don't use idioms that you do not understand.

2. Don't cite articles approaching their 2nd birthday. After 2 years of decline viewership this year is up ~5%.

Why so picky?

1. I clearly understand the "eye test" but chose to use it in such a way to drive home a point using the Ray Rice and  K Hunt incidents as clear examples.

2. And Goodell intends to keep it going in that direction. Posting 2yr old article highly relevant.

Buh bye Myles.

2 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

If he instigated it, then he should be punished the most severely. Otherwise they just let him off.  

03743647-EEB7-45C9-A43A-D0D7C88A4103.png

Cool shirt but that would depend on what constitutes "starting it"...Myles unnecessary roughness or Red Nose's hissy fit retaliation?

Myles Garrett, Browns: Unnecessary roughness, Unsportsmanlike conduct, Fighting, Removing Helmet of Opponnent, Using Helmet as Weapon, indefinite unpaid suspension plus $45,623

So you stab me because I called you a dirty rotten name and I should be punished more severely? I instigated it.

Absurdity thrives in homerism.

On 11/23/2019 at 9:29 AM, Flugel said:

Anyone see the color of the guy that snapped the ball to Rudolph?   Seems REALLY strange that very same guy would fight for the guy that just used such a hateful word against his race.   It also seems strange that a guy that has African American WRs, RBs and OL beside Pouncey would throw the N word out. 

Pouncey wasn't anywhere near the two until the helmet swing. There's no guarantee he heard it. As far as his wrs rbs ol do you not remember riley cooper of the eagles.  The white wide receiver. All his receiver running mates were black. He was caught on tape at a country concert repeatedly saying a racial slur.

43 minutes ago, Gorka said:

So you stab me because I called you a dirty rotten name and I should be punished more severely? I instigated it.

See, this is what I'm talking about on how the commissioner Roger Goodell has failed. This was an on the field incident and he did NOTHING to calm the situation and bring everyone down from craziness I have been hearing and reading. The fact that the police were involved and the talk of Rudolph pursuing legal action only reinforces that. GET CONTROL OF YOUR LEAGUE COMMISSIONER and defend your players!!! Any one of these players could seek legal action any time they want,  so why let the circus continue and make Myles out to be come kind of felon.

You comparing the the helmet swing to someone stabbing somebody with a knife is crazy talk and is part of the problem.  So Myles hit another player with his own helmet......the horror....THE HORROR!!!🙄

24 minutes ago, Neo said:

See, this is what I'm talking about on how the commissioner Roger Goodell has failed......

Failed? Not really Good-ell works for the NFL.inc and the billionaire owners and with his new $200+ million dollar contract he's doing his job just fine. 

Oh and his contract was approved by the owners unanimously.

16 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

Pouncey wasn't anywhere near the two until the helmet swing. There's no guarantee he heard it. As far as his wrs rbs ol do you not remember riley cooper of the eagles.  The white wide receiver. All his receiver running mates were black. He was caught on tape at a country concert repeatedly saying a racial slur.

Yeah, I remember 100% of the people around Riley Cooper heard what he said, which is a little different than the very tiny percentage of players that heard Rudolph's N bomb.  I also remember the African American WR Pitt drafted from Oklahoma State excited Pitt also drafted Mason Rudolph. Sound like race was an issue?  It shouldn't. 

Again, who snapped the ball to the QB attempting to throw out of the shakey cup pocket protection MG was collapsing from the edge?  The Center named Pouncey who just so happens to be African American.   He wasn't as far away as you wanted him to be and closer than 9 of MG's teammates that never even made it into the video at all before Ogunjobi entered after all damage was done.  What do you want me to pretend with you next aside from suddenly all of MG's teammates were extremely well positioned to hear this controversial whisper?   That a QB who lost 100% of his composure found the split second reasoning to conveniently just whisper the N bomb in rage? Doesn't add up at all. Sorry, it just doesn't man. 

If MG, not to be confused with his agent dreaming the best way to get more support, mentioned this right after the game as small as I'm sorry how I handled the racial slur by Rudolph - it would have looked 1000 times less fishy.  Is it possible I'm wrong here? Absolutely; but I have yet to see 1 thing printed beyond the hope of Cleveland Browns fans that it was actually said.

I'd love for this to be true because it could change things and force further investigation than the length of a cup of coffee it got.  

2 hours ago, Flugel said:

Seems pretty chicken shittt if there's REALLY a racial slur on top of his cleat to the groin and attempt to remove Garrett's helmet the FULL video showed(not to be confused with the edited down videos some media are carefully selecting to show to paint the villain).  Roger Goodell is moving 1 step closer to the attracting the WWWF audiences aside from other countries to feed the TV network monopoly in tact even more...  Owners aren't going to bite off the hand feeding them - see Jimmy Church Mouse apology to Pittsburgh as evidence.

If anything, letting this QB continue to play is a good thing for the Cleveland Browns. He treated a defense that longed for turnovers to 4 INTs. I broke out the Christmas music and played Here Comes Santa Claus every time Tomlin allowed him to take the field with the offense.

Aw shucks, Mason is  only  a poor  third  round  draft pick.  We can't  fine him a $100k or so, and suspend  him a game.  Financial  hardship  ya know.  

1 hour ago, Gorka said:

Cool shirt but that would depend on what constitutes "starting it"...Myles unnecessary roughness or Red Nose's hissy fit retaliation?

Myles Garrett, Browns: Unnecessary roughness, Unsportsmanlike conduct, Fighting, Removing Helmet of Opponnent, Using Helmet as Weapon, indefinite unpaid suspension plus $45,623

An eye for an eye, gouge mine, I go for yours. Simple. 
The only real difference between genius and stupidity. Genius has its limits