THE BROWNS BOARD

David Njoku

Vambo

Browns' David Njoku designated to return from injured reserve, will practice Wednesday 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/browns-david-njoku-designated-to-return-from-injured-reserve-will-practice-wednesday/

The Cleveland Browns have designated tight end David Njoku to return from injured reserve. The team had already cleared a roster spot Tuesday when safety Morgan Burnett was placed on injured reserve with an achilles injury so it suggests that he will play this weekend. 

Njoku will return to practice Wednesday but his status for Sunday's game against the Miami Dolphins is unclear. 

"We have to get him on the football field and see where he is. I do not know that to be fact right now. I would like to see where he is at conditioning, physically and mentally. There are a lot of things that go into that," head coach Freddie Kitchens said Monday. 

The Browns have 21 days to activate Njoku or he must return to the injured reserve for the remainder of the season. 

The No. 29 overall selection in the 2017 NFL Draft suffered a fractured wrist in Week 2 against the New York Jets. He was added to the injured reserve four days later. In those two games prior to injury, he recorded four receptions for 37 yards and a touchdown. 

Njoku recorded 88 receptions for 1,025 yards and eight touchdowns through his first two seasons. His contribution to the pass attack nearly doubled last season and his commitment to blocking had increased in the offseason prior to the 2019 regular season. He is close to becoming the well-rounded tight end that Freddie Kitchens' offense desperately needs. Undrafted rookie tight end Stephen Carlson made what turned out to be the game-clinching touchdown reception on Thursday Night Football against the Steelers

Cleveland -- winners of their last two -- has run their offense through the tight ends and running backs despite the presence of star wide receivers Odell Beckham Jr. and Jarvis Landry. The team has so many offensive weapons that is reasonable to question how all of them will get the touches they deserve. Running back Nick Chubb became the first NFL player to 1,000 rushing yards this season and fellow running back Kareem Hunt has been creatively integrated into the offense as well since returning from suspension two games ago. 

Burnett played a big part in the Thursday Night Football victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers, who he had played for the previous season. 

The league allows teams to activate two players from the injured reserve each year. Cleveland has now exhausted their two exemptions after the return of offensive guard Drew Forbes, who was announced Nov. 14, and now Njoku, which means that players like outside linebacker Christian Kirksey are officially done for the season. 

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Not gonna expect a whole lot from him right off the bat... He's a pretty good kid.. we'll see how he's taken care of himself.. Any talent with fresh legs is welcome back..This should only help Baker... I hope his upward trajectory (Bakers) been on continues... God knows we need it,,Its gonna be tough without MG and Larry O.. But I'm hoping this adds a sense of urgency to our defense in general... This will be a true test of "Team Effort " in the coming weeks..

2 hours ago, hx214 said:

I’d bring him back this week, even if it was just for Redzone plays. At least he is a jump ball threat (if he doesn’t get undercut...)

Still shocked that nothing was called on that dirty play. He got concussed and broke his hand and flag wasn't even thrown. Dude was my starting TE in fantasy.

4 minutes ago, WarriorsRpussies said:

the only defenseless wide receivers are apparently with Troy Vincent's, Goodhell's, and some NFL refs' favorite

Superbowl $$$$$$$$$$$ making teams.

3 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

the only defenseless wide receivers are apparently with Troy Vincent's, Goodhell's, and some NFL refs' favorite

Superbowl $$$$$$$$$$$ making teams.

It's insane how terrible the rules and the refs are. I personally think the defenseless rule is a crock of shit but apparently the rules don't apply/help the Browns. Another example is when Baker got drilled in the head and those assholes had to balls to pick the flag up but when it's someone like Tom Brady happens to gets hit in the shoulder pads and it's an automatic 15. Complete an utter Bull-shit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, hx214 said:

Avery can. He can fill in. Oh wait.... we traded him for some extra footballs and some big league chew....

I forget, did we ever find out exactly what we got for him?

Browns receive:   2021 undisclosed draft pick

Eagles receive:   DE/LB Genard Avery

• 3 weeks later...

Finally! It looks like Chief David Njoku just might be active against the Bengals. Then we'll really get to see this offense shine. He's our big target. With Landry and OBJ both standing at 5'11 or 5'10, Njoku give defense's a BIG PROBLEM to worry about come gameday. It's on like donkey kong now brother. Gotta win out and we just pulled out the big guns. DAWG CHECK!!!

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/12/david-njoku-hungry-to-face-the-bengals-sunday-and-expects-to-be-active-olivier-vernon-idle-friday-but-hopeful.html

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

Sounds to me that this will be his last game in orange and brown. Dorsey isn’t real keen on his fundamentals, especially blocking. 
He’s a goner

He's on a very friendly contract next year. Maybe he will outlast Dorsey:

Two NFL sources told me last night that they expect more than just a head coaching change in Cleveland.

--Michael Lombardi

20 minutes ago, Zombo said:

Two NFL sources told me last night that they expect more than just a head coaching change in Cleveland.

--Michael Lombardi

I doubt Lombardi would ever make something up to make the team that fired him look bad. ;)

On 12/6/2019 at 6:50 PM, PoeticG said:

Finally! It looks like Chief David Njoku just might be active against the Bengals. Then we'll really get to see this offense shine. He's our big target. With Landry and OBJ both standing at 5'11 or 5'10, Njoku give defense's a BIG PROBLEM to worry about come gameday. It's on like donkey kong now brother. Gotta win out and we just pulled out the big guns. DAWG CHECK!!!

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/12/david-njoku-hungry-to-face-the-bengals-sunday-and-expects-to-be-active-olivier-vernon-idle-friday-but-hopeful.html

5 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

Sounds to me that this will be his last game in orange and brown. Dorsey isn’t real keen on his fundamentals, especially blocking. 
He’s a goner

Just as the sun rises He’s good for a drop, a crucial missed block and dumb penalty each game.  The size and speed are obvious.  We need a football guy though 

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

Just as the sun rises He’s good for a drop, a crucial missed block and dumb penalty each game.  The size and speed are obvious.  We need a football guy though 

When you drop one for a turnover, then the coach gives you hell for it.... probably a bad idea to bitch back. If Fat Freddy returns, it’s a lock Dave won’t be here. Doubtful regardless. 

2 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

I would take a 4th round pick for Njoku 

I’ll pass on that. This entire offense this season has been putrid. I’ll hold on to one of my former 1st rounders and figure out how to use a big body, athletic player. 

But I’m not a worthless head coach who can’t figure out how to use my players either. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, hx214 said:

I’ll pass on that. This entire offense this season has been putrid. I’ll hold on to one of my former 1st rounders and figure out how to use a big body, athletic player. 

But I’m not a worthless head coach who can’t figure out how to use my players either. 

Do we have any ideas why Njoku is a healthy scratch? Wtf is going on? Higgins too? 

1 hour ago, hx214 said:

He’s Either Hurt...he’s unused...or ineffective.

sooner or later big body athlete needs to convert God given talent to first round production. 

29 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Higgins is the true mystery.  He served as a security blanket all last year.  We have guys like K Hodge getting his touches

Yeah, but I THINK I understand this one. I think Higgins and Freddie got into it a while ago about Higgins being healthy and when he should have returned. Sounds like it just escalated. But why cut off your nose despite your face if you're Kitchens? Wouldn't that help your offense and your struggling QB to play Higgins and/or Njoku? 

7 hours ago, Zombo said:

--Michael Lombardi

Uhh,  if Lombardi says anything, expect the exact opposite.  

Unless he is just talking about the DC.....that makes sense. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Yeah, but I THINK I understand this one. I think Higgins and Freddie got into it a while ago about Higgins being healthy and when he should have returned. Sounds like it just escalated. But why cut off your nose despite your face if you're Kitchens? Wouldn't that help your offense and your struggling QB to play Higgins and/or Njoku? 

Exactly the type of pettiness that a one and done coach would exhibit.

Its okay to punish but punish hard and then move on.  

Another example of poor leadership here 

• Like 1