THE BROWNS BOARD

When Did Pittsburgh Become the Role Models of CLEAN Football?

Flugel

Not much more to say about the disappointing end and the appropriate suspensions that followed.  That said, you better believe I thoroughly enjoyed watching this team beat Pittsburgh 21-7 with our front 7 absolutely suffocating Pittsburgh's running game and keeping pressure on the passer.  The media wants us all to take their massive guilt trip instead of enjoying a win against a franchise we've longed to beat.  Guilt trips only work if you're gullable enough to accept the ride folks.

I really wish the national media would stop acting like Pittsburgh has been the long time role models squeaky clean football.  Starting with Mean Joe Greene's dirty play and Jack Lambert hitting Brian Sipe 5 yards out of bounds and a few seconds after the whistle -the ONLY guy that got any credit for dirty play was Cleveland's Joe Turkey Jones.  Then they had a dirty player like Joey Porter that and others that followed.  Hines Ward's blind side cheap shot that caused a Cincy LB to get his jaw wired as well as some of his other blind side kill shots.  And now, it's as if James Harrison's numerous violent collisions initiated with the crown of his helmet never even existed. Meanwhile the media, only wants to paint Ryan Shazier as a hero for battling back from an injury that caused partial and temporary paralysis. The dark side of that was his frequent tendency to lead helmet first for the kill shot James Harrison role modeled was conveniently swept under the rug.  James Harrison had the neck circumference of an oak tree so he could survive that better than than a skinnier LB.  Jack Ham and Jack Lambert always tackled with their heads up and they stayed healthy as a result of it. That doesn't mean Lambert wasn't dirty after the whistle though.

Before I continue to question why Pittsburgh has become the national media's role models of sportsmanship and crystal clean play, Randall's cheap shot was dirt bag football that deserved him getting tossed.   That said, I'm not sure some of the other concussions Pitt received were initiated by a Cleveland helmet first.  For example, did anyone see how the 1st Pittsburgh Steeler on STs got a concussion Thursday?   He lead with his helmet just like Pittsburgh LB Greg Lloyd did once upon a time on Kevin Mack before waking up to smelling salts. Another hit made on a Pittsburgh WR in traffic actually shows the Pittsburgh helmet initiating the contact first while he pin balled off 2-3 Cleveland DBs.  Has anybody besides Pittsburgh WRs found our secondary dirty or terrifying in 2019? 

So let's take a look at this role model franchise for clean play up close here with a few examples.

In this first collision, while James Harrison throws both arms upward during the collision - the only part of him that connect on Mo No-Mas was the crown of his helmet. 

Here's another one from this franchise where I don't remember the Cleveland Browns receiving any apologies.

Do I dare say Pittsburgh almost has a good excuse not to apologize for this James Harrison crown of the helmet TKO. The guy who just so happened to call our plays from the sideline just so happened to be the only guy on this continent that didn't see or hear the hit.  Consequently, just 1 play after gaining consciousness again - the SAME genius working as our OC & HC (Pat Shurmur) puts Colt McCoy right back in the game.   And listen to what home crowd in PA is booing the penalty.

How many apologies did we get from the Pittsburgh Steelers or their fans for any of this?  The media is already setting up a Disney caliber Revenge of the Terds for their darlings?

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Pittsburg vs Bengals - AFC Wildcard game - grudge match. about 10 minutes left in the first quarter.

They took out Carson Palmer's knee. Sure, they could have done it later if they were losing, but that would look suspicious.

The squealers didn't give a damn. Von Cheapshotten. Their guy who wasn't known for cheap shots. Makes it far more believable, that it was "an accident".

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

of course it's all on damn purpose. Like trying dirty tricks to get an NBA star to foul out so you have a better chance to win the game.

stupid fucking announcers just laughing about it 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Flugel said:

I really wish the national media would stop acting like Pittsburgh has been the long time role models squeaky clean football.  Starting with Mean Joe Greene's...

But the past is irrelevant to the present....unless we're supposed to be getting even and thus have a few more helmet whacks to dole out yet.

IMO, Pittsburgh started the whole thing.  But apparently the NFL doesn't want to suspend a team's starting QB.

It's just a shame that our #1 pick in the entire draft went totally bananas  and chose to look like an ignorant thug for his 15 seconds of fame.

• Upvote 1

Funny how every Steeler dirty hit you listed going back to the 70's was against divisional opponents. 

Don't know where in the media you heard that, but if Pitt has become the "role models" of squeaky clean football it has been recently.

But that's a good thing, because it means they'll suck and be banished into mediocrity.

In the 70's they had the likes of Greene, Lambert, and Blount.

Then came the 80's, the decade of Steeler mediocrity...and who were the enforcers in the 80's? Cant think of a single name.

Then came the 90's when they started being good again which just so happens to be the time when a player named Gary LLoyd came on the scene, followed by Joey Porter, Harrison, Ward...

Who do they have now that compares to those players? No one. They're gonna be mediocre again.

Crown them the role models of squeaky clean football, I don't give a fuck.

• Thanks 1

NFL gives Steelers slap on the wrist for illegal hits vs ...

NFL gives Steelers slap on the wrist for illegal hits vs. Browns. ... While no one was hit with a suspension for dirty play ... Last season, they were tied with Baltimore for 11 unnecessary ...

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Orion said:

But the past is irrelevant to the present....unless we're supposed to be getting even and thus have a few more helmet whacks to dole out yet.

IMO, Pittsburgh started the whole thing.  But apparently the NFL doesn't want to suspend a team's starting QB.

It's just a shame that our #1 pick in the entire draft went totally bananas  and chose to look like an ignorant thug for his 15 seconds of fame.

While your first point makes very good sense, the past has never been irrelevant to the present in this rivalry.  For example, Jack Lambert hits Brian Sipe out of bounds and after the whistle causing injury to the extent David Mays was his fill in starter.   While 2 wrongs or 20 wrongs don't make 1 right - an eye for an eye karma was delivered on Pittsburgh's starting QB Terry Bradshaw by Turkey Jones.  In the end, I think everyone would agree that it never had to be that way.  

And especially in this rivalry, where the blood, urine and hormones haven't always been clean. One of those PED poster boys is putting his roid rage on display in each and every video I shared.  Nothing about that is good for the game.  As a fan, each of those experiences reminds me why I hate that team.  I don't ever want us or need us to be like that.  All that being the case, it's why I'm very frustrated that media/major networks want to paint Cleveland as a dirty team while acting like Pittsburgh has role modeled class and good clean football since the 70s. Cleveland may be an undisciplined team; but they're not a dirty team.

I totally agree with your last point. 

2 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Pittsburg vs Bengals - AFC Wildcard game - grudge match. about 10 minutes left in the first quarter.

They took out Carson Palmer's knee. Sure, they could have done it later if they were losing, but that would look suspicious.

The squealers didn't give a damn. Von Cheapshotten. Their guy who wasn't known for cheap shots. Makes it far more believable, that it was "an accident".

Media spin?   How dare anyone think Pittsburgh would try to injure an opposing QB?

27 minutes ago, Gorka said:

Funny how every Steeler dirty hit you listed going back to the 70's was against divisional opponents. 

Don't know where in the media you heard that, but if Pitt has become the "role models" of squeaky clean football it has been recently.

But that's a good thing, because it means they'll suck and be banished into mediocrity.

Then came the 80's, the decade of Steeler mediocrity...and who were the enforcers in the 80's? Cant think of a single name.

Then came the 90's when they started being good again which just so happens to be the time when a player named Gary LLoyd came on the scene, followed by Joey Porter, Harrison, Ward...

Who do they have now that compares to those players? No one. They're gonna be mediocre again.

Listening to the morning football talk show on 1 of the ESPNs at the crack of dawn today, I started to wonder if the Warden slipped acid in my cereal or something. 

I'm shocked that people from sports shows all over have actually looked at the whole play and started to realize that Rudolph was the instigator... I just figured the initial outrage over Myles playing "Whack a Mole" with Mason's head would have been the end-all as the narrative. Good for those who were able to actually see the entire story. 

I have zero problem with Myles being suspended for the last six games, but Rudolph should be suspended for a game or two also.

3 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

"They wouldn't let poor Rudolf play in any football games"...not happening. A fine yes, but Rudolf tugging trying to pull Myles helmet off isn't suspension worthy. After seeing that video I would have been OK with Myles retaliating by pulling off Rudolph helmet.  But that's where it should have ended. Just drop it or throw it. Don't swing the fucking thing at him like a girlyman.

Then if you want to look at what made Myles do what he did,  you gotta go back and look at what made Rudolf do what he did.

Rudolf had gotten rid of the ball just as Myles hit him. Poor Rudolf felt Myles should have let up. Taking poor Rudolf to the ground after he got rid of the ball made poor Rudolf angry.

How could Myles not know Rudolf didn't have the ball? I think Myles knew Rudolf didn't have the ball...it was the end of the game the Browns physically dominated and perhaps Myles wanted to make a final statement...like putting icing on the cake...or putting the cherry on top...the grand finale...sack the QB even if he doesn't have the ball!

You can see the play at 7:07 on the video.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Gorka said:

"They wouldn't let poor Rudolf play in any football games"...not happening. A fine yes, but Rudolf tugging trying to pull Myles helmet off isn't suspension worthy. After seeing that video I would have been OK with Myles retaliating by pulling off Rudolph helmet.  But that's where it should have ended. Just drop it or throw it. Don't swing the fucking thing at him like a girlyman.

Then if you want to look at what made Myles do what he did,  you gotta go back and look at what made Rudolf do what he did.

Rudolf had gotten rid of the ball just as Myles hit him. Poor Rudolf felt Myles should have let up. Taking poor Rudolf to the ground after he got rid of the ball made poor Rudolf angry.

How could Myles not know Rudolf didn't have the ball? I think Myles knew Rudolf didn't have the ball...it was the end of the game the Browns physically dominated and perhaps Myles wanted to make a final statement...like putting icing on the cake...or putting the cherry on top...the grand finale...sack the QB even if he doesn't have the ball!

You can see the play at 7:07 on the video.

Classic stuff!  I'm only 1 more "Poor Rudolph"  away from taking a 2 minute abs selfy and sending it into Muscle & Fitness.

Until then, I'll just have to keep drinking beer and reminding myself the acro for Flugel's Abs is FLABS...

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Gorka said:

Sounds like James Harrison should have been commentating on what was going through Garrett's mind when the hormone overload just needed to rage!

Anyway, I gotta agree Pouncey looked like a sissy when he went sorority girl on pms tantrum with the slapping and kicking while DeCastro handled the man stuff for his team.  BTW, I was impressed with DeCastro who seemed to have the best handle on what unfolded to the point he felt no cheap shots were warranted.  All that really needed to happen to prevent the rest was for just 1 smart man in black and gold to get his QB off the field since 4 INTs wasn't exactly getting the message across.  What part of 21-7 with only seconds left and the the ball deep in your own territory on a night with multiple INTs says we just gotta watch Rudolph let er rip 1 more time?  Who's doing the math in Pittsburgh? Whoever it is - he's adorable!

I wish all that excused Garrett but it doesn't.  Having said that, the more I've seen the replays - the first guy trying to rip someone's helmet off was Rudolph. That's not going to be convenient at all for the Disney Revenge story the networks are cooking up where the bad guy is too naughty to participate.  At least Pittsburgh's Delta Nu QB will play against our junior varsity pass rush.  And if Ben Rapen can get his suspension for 2 rape victims reduced by 1 game for terrific behavior - I'm sure Pouncey's female mud wrestling audition will end up getting his suspension reduced by a game or 2.  

Atenears used the video of Willie McGinest slamming the 2 time Rapist (but allegedly a GREAT guy in Pittsburgh) off the turf as his avatar to piss off the volume of trolls at the time.  He never messed around explaining the eye for an eye karma.  He just assumed everyone understood the NHL mentality of what makes 1 goon necessary at times. This franchise has taken enough shit from Pittsburgh - just feel free to watch the videos folks and let me know if there's any questions.  If anyone thinks the past doesn't impact the present - you better explain that one to the folks at the TV networks already talking revenge for their darlings in 2 weeks. 

When Pittsburgh beat Arizona in the SB the 2 faces of their franchise was Domestic Violence poster boy James Harrison and a QB that had a trend of at least 2 rape victims Rooney had to clean up behind the scenes.  Anyone remember where all of Harrison's fine money went from the fans that donated to his fines (but the NFL couldn't accept) for his head hunting that their fans PROTESTED?  Does that send warm fuzzies up our spines for how their fans act following their biggest moments of dirt bag football?  That fine money from their protesting fans the league didn't accept went to Harrison's wife's domestic violence support group that she needed throughout her relationship with James and the quantities of steroids that stopped him from getting cut by NFL teams (that's plural).  This actually had the Pittsburgh Gazette praising him for this as opposed to explaining why his wife needed her domestic violence and battered women support group throughout his prolonged steroid abuse and all the rages at home Pittsburgh Stee-roid fans want to pretend never happened. And here I thought only the Penn State fans protesting Joe PA's departure were despicable; but Sandusky had their backs! 

Needless to say, Pitt is also the franchise that pioneered the most pervasive team-wide use of steroids in the 70s which later set up an Sports Illustrated follow-up study that provided a body count of premature death and disability before age 52 among suspected steroids abusers within. Another former Steeler with a conscience wrote a book about the difference in steroids use prevalence in Pitt vrs that of the 2-3 other NFL teams he played on.  The book is titled - "False Glory: Steelers and Steroids" so if anyone needs to keep pretending what a classy and pristine organization that has always been read it and get back to me on their integrity.  Anyone ever remember some of Joe Greene's rage after the whistle and out of bounds?  Geee, where did it come from?  How many Championships has Pittsburgh won since they started testing for HGH?  Let's hope we can get the same adorable Pittsburgh mathematician on this that wanted Rudolph throwing 1 more pass with second left...  Gee, what could go wrong...

On 11/16/2019 at 3:43 PM, Gorka said:

Crown them with Ryan Shazier. Some head hunters never learn. 

I guess you gotta look at the city. Pissburg is such a crappy place to live  that the nfl must feel sorry for the people that have to live there and makes sure their football team excels even if it is through cheating and rule changes on the fly.   You can see plain as day what happened on video and yet the nfl tells you they’re being fair.... haha haha, what a crock. Must be a PC thing. 

16 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

I guess you gotta look at the city. Pissburg is such a crappy place to live  that the nfl must feel sorry for the people that have to live there and makes sure their football team excels even if it is through cheating and rule changes on the fly.   You can see plain as day what happened on video and yet the nfl tells you they’re being fair.... haha haha, what a crock. Must be a PC thing. 

Funny-Stupid-Memes-14.png