THE BROWNS BOARD

On to Miami

The Gipper

Lets put this game behind us, and all the BS that went with it.

The Browns play the Miami Dolphins in like 10 days from now.  

Question A:  Who will be the starting QB for the Dolphins?    I am hoping it will be Josh Rosen.   

Why:   Because Rosen was part of the 2018  QB draft class.  And Baker Mayfield is now 6-1 against the other members of  of that QB draft class.   He has beaten Rudolph...3rd rounder,  he has beaten Josh Allen, just last week.  He has beaten Sam Darnold once....and he has beaten Darnold's replacement when he was out hurt in Luke Falk, also a 2018 draftee, and he has beaten Lamar Jackson twice.  The only loss he suffered was the 2 pt. loss at the  end of the year last year vs.  Jackson and Baltimore.    Taking  on and beating Rosen would be the final notch in his belt vs. his 2018 QB mates.   

Or...is it going to be Ryan Fitzpatrick starting for the Fish. If so, too bad. 

Question B.  I may be that both Garrett and Ogunjobi may be suspended for this game (unless appeals take longer).   That is two of our starting DL.   That does not count Vernon who missed last nights game.   Who is going to replace them?    Is Vernon going to be back?  

Chad Thomas had replaced Vernon last night.  I assume he will be in there.  Then if Ogi is out, Devaroe Lawrence will step into his slot next to Richardson, I assume.  Chris Smith, Eli Ankou and Bryan Cox Jr., just picked up are our other DL....of questionable value. Tell me again why we traded Gennard Avery?

Question B. 1:  If the suspension of Myles holds up....can the Browns replace him on the active roster?  Or will they just use his spot for like Njoku? Relying on the above DL depth chart.   I mean, they already have 5 TEs on this roster....do they need a 5th?  Or, do you think the Browns will get some DL from off the streets....and do you know of anyone out there worth picking up?

Question B2:  I see that Drew Forbes is back on the roster.  Who did he replace?

Question C:    Do any of you think the Dolphins game is a cakewalk?   If so, you better not.  They have won 2 of their last 3 games, over both the Jets and the Colts...and the Colts were actually in playoff position until their loss to the Dolphins. They play the Bills on Sunday.

Question D:  Miami, of course is located in southern Florida.  But the game is on the shores of Lake Erie.  I don't know what the forecast is here 10 days from now, but last night is was like below freezing.  Do you think the weather, if it is adverse, is at all a benefit to the Browns?  Or not.

Question E.  Are you, as I am, afraid of a Broncos like game let down?  These Dolphins, like the Broncos, are a team the Browns should beat (even if Garret and Ogi are out).  Or is this short respite good for the team...to heal up some, and to get their mind right after those last 8 seconds.   And do you think that incident will cause this team to coalesce and become cohesive?

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Question A:  Who will be the starting QB for the Dolphins?    I am hoping it will be Josh Rosen.   

Why:   Because Rosen was part of the 2018  QB draft class.  And Baker Mayfield is now 6-1 against the other members of  of that QB draft class.   He has beaten Rudolph...3rd rounder,  he has beaten Josh Allen, just last week.  He has beaten Sam Darnold once....and he has beaten Darnold's replacement when he was out hurt in Luke Falk, also a 2018 draftee, and he has beaten Lamar Jackson twice.  The only loss he suffered was the 2 pt. loss at the  end of the year last year vs.  Jackson and Baltimore.    Taking  on and beating Rosen would be the final notch in his belt vs. his 2018 QB mates.   

Or...is it going to be Ryan Fitzpatrick starting for the Fish. If so, too bad.  Fitzy scares me, actually.  I've seen him get hot and beat some people.  I've also seen him implode and destroy his own team, but I've certainly seen him beat his fair share of oppositions.  Rosen?  Not so much.

Question B.  I may be that both Garrett and Ogunjobi may be suspended for this game (unless appeals take longer).   That is two of our starting DL.   That does not count Vernon who missed last nights game.   Who is going to replace them?    Is Vernon going to be back?  

Chad Thomas had replaced Vernon last night.  I assume he will be in there.  Then if Ogi is out, Devaroe Lawrence will step into his slot next to Richardson, I assume.  Chris Smith, Eli Ankou and Bryan Cox Jr., just picked up are our other DL....of questionable value. Tell me again why we traded Gennard Avery?  I'm guessing Vernon will be back.  I actually believe he was close to coming back Thursday, but that's just speculation.  

Question B. 1:  If the suspension of Myles holds up....can the Browns replace him on the active roster?  Or will they just use his spot for like Njoku? Relying on the above DL depth chart.   I mean, they already have 5 TEs on this roster....do they need a 5th?  Or, do you think the Browns will get some DL from off the streets....and do you know of anyone out there worth picking up?  No clue who is available, but I'm REALLY missing Genard Avery right about now.  One thing we CAN do is push Sheldon Richardson to the outside and insert Devaroe Lawrence into the DT position.  Richardson has played a little DE before.  

Question B2:  I see that Drew Forbes is back on the roster.  Who did he replace?  Calloway.

Question 😄   Do any of you think the Dolphins game is a cakewalk?   If so, you better not.  They have won 2 of their last 3 games, over both the Jets and the Colts...and the Colts were actually in playoff position until their loss to the Dolphins. They play the Bills on Sunday.  The Fins game actually terrifies me and we'll be playing the game down a safety or two, right?  I'll say this:  If we win, I think we'll have to score 28+.  I see this being a game where the offense has to pull us through.  So far this year, they haven't been able to provide this feat all that much.  

Question D:  Miami, of course is located in southern Florida.  But the game is on the shores of Lake Erie.  I don't know what the forecast is here 10 days from now, but last night is was like below freezing.  Do you think the weather, if it is adverse, is at all a benefit to the Browns?  Or not.  I honestly don't think it will be that big of a deal as long as it's not WET.  That seems to be the biggest cause of fumbles and what not, but as long as it's dry, I think we'll be ok.  If it is wet and cold, I think that favors us because we're likely the better running team, and the presence of Hunt could mean all the difference.  

Question E.  Are you, as I am, afraid of a Broncos like game let down?  These Dolphins, like the Broncos, are a team the Browns should beat (even if Garret and Ogi are out).  Or is this short respite good for the team...to heal up some, and to get their mind right after those last 8 seconds.   And do you think that incident will cause this team to coalesce and become cohesive?  My gut feeling is that this incident will completely collapse our team.  I've been wrong before, lots of time, but this feels...well...this feels just AWFUL.  Garrett was just so important to what we do on defense, and if Vernon can't play, I don't see us performing well.  Our secondary is playing "ok", but there has been so many plays that would've been long gains if the QB had an extra tick or two, and without Garrett, they're likely to have that time.  I don't like the fact that our DB's are resorting to grabbing the WR's arms instead of trusting their talent.  I think we're susceptible to the deep ball, especially on Greedy's side.  

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Or...is it going to be Ryan Fitzpatrick starting for the Fish. If so, too bad. 

Chad Thomas had replaced Vernon last night.  I assume he will be in there.  Then if Ogi is out, Devaroe Lawrence will step into his slot next to Richardson, I assume.  Chris Smith, Eli Ankou and Bryan Cox Jr., just picked up are our other DL....of questionable value. Tell me again why we traded Gennard Avery?

Question B. 1:  If the suspension of Myles holds up....can the Browns replace him on the active roster?  Or will they just use his spot for like Njoku? Relying on the above DL depth chart.   I mean, they already have 5 TEs on this roster....do they need a 5th?  Or, do you think the Browns will get some DL from off the streets....and do you know of anyone out there worth picking up?

Question B2:  I see that Drew Forbes is back on the roster.  Who did he replace?

Question 😄   Do any of you think the Dolphins game is a cakewalk?   If so, you better not.  They have won 2 of their last 3 games, over both the Jets and the Colts...and the Colts were actually in playoff position until their loss to the Dolphins. They play the Bills on Sunday.

Question D:  Miami, of course is located in southern Florida.  But the game is on the shores of Lake Erie.  I don't know what the forecast is here 10 days from now, but last night is was like below freezing.  Do you think the weather, if it is adverse, is at all a benefit to the Browns?  Or not.

Question E.  Are you, as I am, afraid of a Broncos like game let down?  These Dolphins, like the Broncos, are a team the Browns should beat (even if Garret and Ogi are out).  Or is this short respite good for the team...to heal up some, and to get their mind right after those last 8 seconds.   And do you think that incident will cause this team to coalesce and become cohesive?

Simple answer the offense has to step up to win games with the suspension of Garrett and Ogunjobi. Fitzgerald is careless with the ball, so our secondary will be crucial. None of our upcoming games (except maybe Cinci) are cakewalks even before the disastrous loss of Myles.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Or...is it going to be Ryan Fitzpatrick starting for the Fish. If so, too bad.  Fitzy scares me, actually.  I've seen him get hot and beat some people.  I've also seen him implode and destroy his own team, but I've certainly seen him beat his fair share of oppositions.  Rosen?  Not so much.

Well, Rosen is a second year man, who has started only a few games.  And Fitzpatrick is in his late 30s...so Fitz has had a lot more chances to both be hot and to be implosive.

But...do we know who is going to be starting?

Question B.  I may be that both Garrett and Ogunjobi may be suspended for this game (unless appeals take longer).   That is two of our starting DL.   That does not count Vernon who missed last nights game.   Who is going to replace them?    Is Vernon going to be back?  

Chad Thomas had replaced Vernon last night.  I assume he will be in there.  Then if Ogi is out, Devaroe Lawrence will step into his slot next to Richardson, I assume.  Chris Smith, Eli Ankou and Bryan Cox Jr., just picked up are our other DL....of questionable value. Tell me again why we traded Gennard Avery?  I'm guessing Vernon will be back.  I actually believe he was close to coming back Thursday, but that's just speculation.  

That would help

Question B. 1:  If the suspension of Myles holds up....can the Browns replace him on the active roster?  Or will they just use his spot for like Njoku? Relying on the above DL depth chart.   I mean, they already have 5 TEs on this roster....do they need a 5th?  Or, do you think the Browns will get some DL from off the streets....and do you know of anyone out there worth picking up?  No clue who is available, but I'm REALLY missing Genard Avery right about now.  One thing we CAN do is push Sheldon Richardson to the outside and insert Devaroe Lawrence into the DT position.  Richardson has played a little DE before.   Like I said...the Avery move is a head scratcher.  and Lawrence can hold the job fairly well inside.

Question B2:  I see that Drew Forbes is back on the roster.  Who did he replace?  Calloway.  Thanks

Question 😄   Do any of you think the Dolphins game is a cakewalk?   If so, you better not.  They have won 2 of their last 3 games, over both the Jets and the Colts...and the Colts were actually in playoff position until their loss to the Dolphins. They play the Bills on Sunday.  The Fins game actually terrifies me and we'll be playing the game down a safety or two, right?  I'll say this:  If we win, I think we'll have to score 28+.  I see this being a game where the offense has to pull us through.  So far this year, they haven't been able to provide this feat all that much.  

Which safeties will be out?    And I think that this may be a game where they hammer the 2 backs we now have....while being mindful that both  Landry and his buddy OBJ will want to have a big showing v. the team that sent Landry packing...and dissed him while doing so.

Question D:  Miami, of course is located in southern Florida.  But the game is on the shores of Lake Erie.  I don't know what the forecast is here 10 days from now, but last night is was like below freezing.  Do you think the weather, if it is adverse, is at all a benefit to the Browns?  Or not.  I honestly don't think it will be that big of a deal as long as it's not WET.  That seems to be the biggest cause of fumbles and what not, but as long as it's dry, I think we'll be ok.  If it is wet and cold, I think that favors us because we're likely the better running team, and the presence of Hunt could mean all the difference.   Again....another reason that this game could be a ground and pound game.

Question E.  Are you, as I am, afraid of a Broncos like game let down?  These Dolphins, like the Broncos, are a team the Browns should beat (even if Garret and Ogi are out).  Or is this short respite good for the team...to heal up some, and to get their mind right after those last 8 seconds.   And do you think that incident will cause this team to coalesce and become cohesive?  My gut feeling is that this incident will completely collapse our team.  I've been wrong before, lots of time, but this feels...well...this feels just AWFUL. 

I believe it will be just the opposite.  This will solidify this team's resolve.  I think they may feel they have been fucked over by the league, and that they will want to take it out on a lesser opponent.  I agree with you statement above that they will score 28+ points, but I don't agree that they have to do so.

Garrett was just so important to what we do on defense, and if Vernon can't play, I don't see us performing well.  Our secondary is playing "ok", but there has been so many plays that would've been long gains if the QB had an extra tick or two, and without Garrett, they're likely to have that time.  I don't like the fact that our DB's are resorting to grabbing the WR's arms instead of trusting their talent.  I think we're susceptible to the deep ball, especially on Greedy's side.  

What major threats do the Dolphin's have to go long?  The defense has looked poor tackling at times. 

• Upvote 1

Cleveland has eight days to get ready to play a Miami team that we should be handily. This will get the Browns a chance to reorganize the D-Line to prepare for the Steelers game the following week. We are locked in at going 1-0 next week for sure, and not to get ahead of ourselves but it will be a good chance to see how this line reforms with the loss of Garrett. Of course we will be getting Ogunjobi back that game, and hopefully Vernon is healthy by then as well. That should make Vernon in Myles' spot, Ogunjobi and Richardson in the middle and Chad Thomas on the other end... that's not bad. 

We will also hopefully be getting Chief David Njoku back this week. He will help to fortify the offense further so that takes some of the pressure off of the Defense as well. Let's hope so.

Miami is 30th  in the league against the rush.   Behind only the Bangles and the Chiefs......ergo,  we should run these fish ragged.

The Browns are 7th rushing for the year, and now we have Hunt.....and with that may have the best run game in the league.  Baltimore has it...because of Lamar's scrambling.  (still waiting for him to get crushed...today maybe?)

Miami is  actually like right in the middle passing defense wise,  at like 15th or 16th.   

Run their asses over.

RigidCrispBighornsheep-small.gif

4 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Miami is 30th  in the league against the rush.   Behind only the Bangles and the Chiefs......ergo,  we should run these fish ragged.

The Browns are 7th rushing for the year, and now we have Hunt.....and with that may have the best run game in the league.  Baltimore has it...because of Lamar's scrambling.  (still waiting for him to get crushed...today maybe?)

Miami is  actually like right in the middle passing defense wise,  at like 15th or 16th.   

Run their asses over.

RigidCrispBighornsheep-small.gif

This style of attack could also help keep our depleted defense off the field, which would be nice.

• Upvote 3

On 11/17/2019 at 11:30 AM, Dutch Oven said:

This style of attack could also help keep our depleted defense off the field, which would be nice.

Yes, yes, and more yes.  I want this to be the Chubb and Hunt show...with about one deep shot per quarter to OBJ.  Wishbone making a comeback??  🙂

We need to come out EARLY and establish our will running the ball.  We don't want to get into a situation where we're down and we can't run like we want to, and make no mistake, Fitzpatrick will definitely challenge the defense.  He's risky, but he's also capable of making big plays.  Add in the fact that our pass rush likely won't be dominant, and things could get dicey.  Hopefully we get Vernon back, and I believe there's a chance!

It's been a while since Chubb broke off a long run.  I'm thinking he's due, and I'm thinking Hunt scores this week, too.  

Since week 3, Fitzpatrick has been the 8th rated passer in the league (per PFF).  That's pretty crazy when compared to Mayfield who is ranked 23rd.  Suffice to say, this game makes me extremely nervous.  Miami had leads against some decent teams, some of the leads extended into the 4th quarter and they blew it, and some of the games they managed to hang on to win.  Miami isn't some team that is simply laying down like many thought early on in the season.  This is the NFL, and if you don't bring it, you WILL lose.  That being said, I DO believe we're going to win.  I think we'll have a single digit lead into the 4th quarter, and then Ward or Greedy will seal the deal with a big play when Miami is trying to come back.  Their run defense is bad, it's a home game for us, and I really do believe that we're starting to play a little bit better overall.  

Let's give the home crowd another win, and let's make it 3 in a row.  If we somehow manage that, we'll then play a Pittsburgh team we KNOW we can beat.  Sure, we won't have Myles Garrett who almost single-handily won the game with his crazy pressures, but I still believe we're the better team.  Not to get ahead of myself because we certainly haven't earned the right to ASSUME victories, but let's face it...we should win the next two games and we should quietly put together no less than a 4 game winning streak.  Heck, we get the Bengals AFTER the Steelers game, so maybe even FIVE games in a row.  

I'm not known as Captain Optimism, but I can legit see us making it happen.  Not only THAT, but a 5 game winning streak would probably stymie the "we need a new coach" talk, AND would get us to over .500 in December for the first time in a zillion years.  Cmon Brownies...make a push!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

This offense would struggle to put up 42 points in a half this season even if the Dolphins refused to take the field. 

They have indeed struggled.....but I am want to start seeing some breakout from those struggles.

42-0 at the half.  We will accept no substitutes !!!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm gonna say 27 points at the half.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, PoeticG said:

I'm gonna say 27 points at the half.

I will take EITHER 27 or 42, gladly.  LOL.

We all know that we've played some of the staunchest defenses in the league for what seems like 10 games in a row.  I heard some stat that said we basically played the top 5 defenses in the past 5 weeks, but I don't know if it's true or what metric they used to measure defense.  At any rate, I'm VERY interested to see how we play against a team that is essentially at the very BOTTOM in most categories.  They didn't have much talent on defense to begin with, and they are so completely injury depleted and ridden with inexperience that even their program guide is having difficulty keeping up with the roster.  Virtually their entire secondary wouldn't make another team's roster, so if there was ever a game where our offense busted out, THIS is the one.  

How can the Fins beat us?  Well, for starters their QB is 5-1 against us.  Fitzy will definitely take chances and challenge defenses deep, and we've let a few people get behind us in recent weeks.  The Steelers' WR had the tying TD grab in his hands before the ground popped it out, so I do think we're somewhat vulnerable to accurate down the field passing (every team is, really).  I'm encouraged to see Ward playing well, but Greedy has been somewhat struggling a bit.  Furthermore, the Fins are the least penalized team in the entire league.  That's pretty impressive.  

I just hope we don't get suckered into trying to pass the ball too much.  Fins are atrocious against the run, and we've got probably the best RB stable in the NFL.  Miami is especially vulnerable against outside running, and that's one of the places we get the most yards from Chubb.  We run that zone-stretch to the left and it's something we do VERY well.  Chubb hasn't busted one in a while, but that could certainly change Sunday.  Also, if you have Kareem Hunt in fantasy, I'd start him.  I could see a scenario where he gets a BUNCH of yardage.  

49 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Also, if you have Kareem Hunt in fantasy, I'd start him.  I could see a scenario where he gets a BUNCH of yardage.  

I have him and it's time for Freddie to understand the threat he has inside the 5 with fresh legs. No more f'ning around in there. Give him the damn ball and he scores.

• Upvote 1

the 10.5 point spread is about dead on imo..The Fins go on 4th down more than any team in the league..and were short handed on defense & they know it..

FitzMagic is 5-1 against Browns..we got to move the chains & own the game clock in this one

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Orion said:

Does anybody remember the last time this board was talking about us winning the upcoming game by a boatload?     With 3 defensive line starters out, I just hope to win the game.

Yea, I think we talked about that vs. the Broncos, and that did not turn out so well.

• Thanks 1

On 11/19/2019 at 12:28 PM, jiggins7919 said:

Since week 3, Fitzpatrick has been the 8th rated passer in the league (per PFF).  That's pretty crazy when compared to Mayfield who is ranked 23rd.  Suffice to say, this game makes me extremely nervous.  Miami had leads against some decent teams, some of the leads extended into the 4th quarter and they blew it, and some of the games they managed to hang on to win.  Miami isn't some team that is simply laying down like many thought early on in the season.  This is the NFL, and if you don't bring it, you WILL lose.  That being said, I DO believe we're going to win.  I think we'll have a single digit lead into the 4th quarter, and then Ward or Greedy will seal the deal with a big play when Miami is trying to come back.  Their run defense is bad, it's a home game for us, and I really do believe that we're starting to play a little bit better overall.  

Let's give the home crowd another win, and let's make it 3 in a row.  If we somehow manage that, we'll then play a Pittsburgh team we KNOW we can beat.  Sure, we won't have Myles Garrett who almost single-handily won the game with his crazy pressures, but I still believe we're the better team.  Not to get ahead of myself because we certainly haven't earned the right to ASSUME victories, but let's face it...we should win the next two games and we should quietly put together no less than a 4 game winning streak.  Heck, we get the Bengals AFTER the Steelers game, so maybe even FIVE games in a row.  

I'm not known as Captain Optimism, but I can legit see us making it happen.  Not only THAT, but a 5 game winning streak would probably stymie the "we need a new coach" talk, AND would get us to over .500 in December for the first time in a zillion years.  Cmon Brownies...make a push!

Ever since we blew a playoff victory in Miami in 1972 vs the undefeated Dolphins, EVERY dam Browns game makes me nervous😁

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

It was the one we blew in 1985 that is even more egregious......21-3 lead at the half vs. Fins in Miami.

January 4, 1986 a very young Bernie Kosar almost beat Don Shula and the 10.5 favorite Miami Dolphins, Shula was furious at halftime. Bernie came back to Miami and almost upset the mighty fins.  Those were great BROWNS memories.

.....hey they play again this weekend and Cleveland is the 10.5 favorite, how about that !

Scoring

Quarter Tm Detail CLE MIA
1 Dolphins Fuad Reveiz 51 yard field goal 0 3
  Browns Ozzie Newsome 16 yard pass from Bernie Kosar (Matt Bahr kick) 7 3
2 Browns Earnest Byner 21 yard rush (Matt Bahr kick) 14 3
3 Browns Earnest Byner 66 yard rush (Matt Bahr kick) 21 3
  Dolphins Nat Moore 6 yard pass from Dan Marino (Fuad Reveiz kick) 21 10
  Dolphins Ron Davenport 31 yard rush (Fuad Reveiz kick) 21 17
4 Dolphins Ron Davenport 1 yard rush (Fuad Reveiz kick) 21 24

Game Info

Game Info
Roof outdoors
Surface grass
Weather* 71 degrees, relative humidity 79%, wind 9 mph
Vegas Line Miami Dolphins -10.5

Maybe the national media should do a story on that Cleveland BROWNS team and a 20 year old young quarterback from Boardman, Ohio and the U and that 1985 team.  Eh?

Browns Starters

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

It was the one we blew in 1985 that is even more egregious......21-3 lead at the half vs. Fins in Miami.

Agree, but I wasn't talking about ranking the sadness. I was talking about nerves.

We weren't the better team in either of those playoff meetings, but should have won both. 

• Upvote 1