THE BROWNS BOARD

Freddie actually did a decent job

crunchy

I can't think of a single screw up. There was no clock mismanagement, no going for it unnecessarily, no weird gadget plays that got blown up, the red zone offense was great. 

Once we were up we ran the ball and killed clock. And with Baker under center too, not only out of shotgun. Even when we didn't get first downs it was the smart thing to do because it gave the squillers no chance for a turnover or sack, burned time, and with our d playing great they had no chance to get back in the game. 

It was smart situational football. Freddie actually planned a good game and adjusted to the game script. I think he's...he's...learning!?!?!

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, crunchy said:

It was smart situational football. Freddie actually planned a good game and adjusted to the game script. I think he's...he's...learning!?!?!

So does he deserve a full season before any possible moves are made?   

(probably the correct move despite the 4-6 start)

Except for the first game of the season with the Titans week in and week out the Browns have played at a high level and I credit Freddie for it. Browns of past seasons would occasionally pull out an unexpected win or lose with a "moral victory" and we would hope the team might be turning a corner only to see them lay an egg the next week. One thing I have seen this year is that in most of our games we lost even with the self inflicted mistakes we are still in these games late into the 4th quarter.   I can give some leeway to Kitchens as a rookie HC for mistakes as long as we learn from them and maybe (hopefully) we are? But getting a team to play at a high level week in and week out is something I do give Freddie credit for. His apparent motivation.

Just my two cents as a long time fan.

7 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

So does he deserve a full season before any possible moves are made?   

(probably the correct move despite the 4-6 start)

Yes, it takes time to learn and for a team to come together, especially when you play two undefeated teams away, another 8-2 team, and the super bowl runner up

8 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

Except for the first game of the season with the Titans week in and week out the Browns have played at a high level and I credit Freddie for it. Browns of past seasons would occasionally pull out an unexpected win or lose with a "moral victory" and we would hope the team might be turning a corner only to see them lay an egg the next week. One thing I have seen this year is that in most of our games we lost even with the self inflicted mistakes we are still in these games late into the 4th quarter.   I can give some leeway to Kitchens as a rookie HC for mistakes as long as we learn from them and maybe (hopefully) we are? But getting a team to play at a high level week in and week out is something I do give Freddie credit for. His apparent motivation.

Just my two cents as a long time fan.

Agree 100% on giving Kitchens some leeway, especially with all the new players this year. Being a head coach of a team with a ton of expectations is hard for anyone, let alone a rookie

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, crunchy said:

I can't think of a single screw up. There was no clock mismanagement, no going for it unnecessarily, no weird gadget plays that got blown up, the red zone offense was great. 

Once we were up we ran the ball and killed clock. And with Baker under center too, not only out of shotgun. Even when we didn't get first downs it was the smart thing to do because it gave the squillers no chance for a turnover or sack, burned time, and with our d playing great they had no chance to get back in the game. 

One can only hope that he continues to improve.

yeah, a lot of media folks brag on tomlin being such a brilliant coach (who inherited a playoff/superbowl team).

Well, Freddie Kitchens is far, far more brilliant.

(just a response to "Freddie Kitchens is an idiot" )

11 minutes ago, D Bone said:

..... My hand is hovering over the ignore button, please don't make me do it.

do it. The Browns won handily. I even explained lol that is was in response to "Freddie Kitchen's is an idiot"

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, runyon27 said:

I would say the only real issue I had with the game and play calling is we were a little too pass happy in the first half, I would have liked to seen more touches with Chubb but overall was solid game plan.

Except there were times I was thinking "stop running on first down. you just lost three yards again". Then they ran again, and gained two yards. It happened several times. I don't get it.

Maybe I'm imagining it - but all too often he runs on first down and I think defenses see that.

Yeah in the second half they seemed to be like we are going to be much more run heavy so first few series did more run, just mix it up better, I don't mind running several plays in a row if you are moving the chains. Just try to get more balance I think we be my main critique. Some drives were too run heavy, some were overly pass heavy.

16 minutes ago, runyon27 said:

I would say the only real issue I had with the game and play calling is we were a little too pass happy in the first half, I would have liked to seen more touches with Chubb but overall was solid game plan.

Pretty much what I saw. At one point late in the 1st qtr we had 3 runs (1 QB sneak) and 12 passes. The 2nd half I thought Freddie did a good job, but would've liked a few more carries by Hunt (with Chubb on field too) on early downs.

Overall, it was a sold B from me. 

12 minutes ago, D Bone said:

Pretty much what I saw. At one point late in the 1st qtr we had 3 runs (1 QB sneak) and 12 passes. The 2nd half I thought Freddie did a good job, but would've liked a few more carries by Hunt (with Chubb on field too) on early downs.

But we were moving the ball in the 1st quarter with that gameplan. I don't care how many times we run or pass as long as the ball is moving and it was that first 1.5 quarters. You don't run just for the sake of getting your number of run plays called up. Yeah it helps to keep a team honest but if they aren't stopping passes it doesn't matter if they know you are passing.

2 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

But we were moving the ball in the 1st quarter with that gameplan. I don't care how many times we run or pass as long as the ball is moving and it was that first 1.5 quarters. You don't run just for the sake of getting your number of run plays called up. Yeah it helps to keep a team honest but if they aren't stopping passes it doesn't matter if they know you are passing.

Not consistently, first drive can't complain about the results. Then a bunch of nothing while heavy pass, then we hit a big pass play that led to second TD. I think Freddie falls in love with the big pass play at times too much, when you got one of the best backs in the league, use him to soften the D up.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

After the opening drive there wasn't much else, or that's my memory anyway.

49 minutes ago, runyon27 said:

Yep. And then in the second half with a 2 score lead the Steeler defense was able to zero in on a bunch of predictable runs. One series was 3 straight runs and a punt..  

Do you listen?  This guy says he doesn't coach fighting?  Who does?  He is the worst coach the Browns have ever had.  Listening to him talk is like listening to a high school coach from Dirt poor Alabama.  

1 minute ago, Duckpins said:

Do you listen?  This guy says he doesn't coach fighting?  Who does?  He is the worst coach the Browns have ever had.  Listening to him talk is like listening to a high school coach from Dirt poor Alabama.  

No one does but that's his point.  No one coaches guys to commit penalties to miss block pickups to rip off helmets and hit opposing players etc.

3 hours ago, D Bone said:

They need to have those two on the field together a lot more.  It gives the defense something to think about with both of them in there.

I am thinking and hoping that they are going to bludgeon the Dolphins with the run game here next game.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

They need to have those two on the field together a lot more.  It gives the defense something to think about with both of them in there.

I am thinking and hoping that they are going to bludgeon the Dolphins with the run game here next game.

Big time. Give me both those dudes on the field for, well, every play...... Would love to see some pro-set RB formations like Byner and Mack. Chubb 22 carries and Hunt 13 sounds great to me. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, bjh2130 said:

No one does but that's his point.  No one coaches guys to commit penalties to miss block pickups to rip off helmets and hit opposing players etc.

I think Duckpins is saying that Freddie should teach discipline.

Freddie's best coached game but the lack of discipline among the players just bleeds through. The Steelers' sole touchdown was essentially a gift of penalties from the Brown's defense. Randall's hit that led to his ejection was completely unnecessary. If he can coach his way out of Myle's suspension, then he deserves to keep his job.

Myles and the rest of our starters should have NEVER been on the field after we went up by 14. He needed to be aware that Pittsburgh are sore losers and were baiting, or worse, trying to injure our guys. Next time with a healthy lead and no chance for the other team to come back, pull those starters. 

2 hours ago, PoeticG said:

Myles and the rest of our starters should have NEVER been on the field after we went up by 14. He needed to be aware that Pittsburgh are sore losers and were baiting, or worse, trying to injure our guys. Next time with a healthy lead and no chance for the other team to come back, pull those starters. 

It’s well known how poor the sportsmanship is in turdburg. Gotta remember tho that the NFL is a piss poor loser too. Don’t mess with their pretty boys

12 hours ago, D Bone said:

Big time. Give me both those dudes on the field for, well, every play...... Would love to see some pro-set RB formations like Byner and Mack. Chubb 22 carries and Hunt 13 sounds great to me. 

A lot more duel RB plays with Hunt coming out of the backfield fairly often for some poor LB to have to cover. He's as good as any slot receiver that NE has ever had, but with far better ability one on one after the catch. He has made key catches in both these wins since he came onto the scene. His value is way above the departed RB Duke Johnson that went to Houston.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

A lot more duel RB plays with Hunt coming out of the backfield fairly often for some poor LB to have to cover. He's as good as any slot receiver that NE has ever had, but with far better ability one on one after the catch. He has made key catches in both these wins since he came onto the scene. His value is way above the departed RB Duke Johnson that went to Houston.

I still can’t help but dream about the possibilities with all 3 of those guys in the backfield in one of those inverted wishbone formations that were so fun last year. Oh well...

• Like 1