THE BROWNS BOARD

Steeler Scouting Report for TNF....

Tour2ma

A few thoughts after watching the Steelers/Rams late afternoon tilt yesterday....

Bottom Line: We've got a shot, but PTG is a much better team than they were just three weeks ago...

Offense:

• Rudolph.... the kid stands in there... have to give him that. But his play is very streaky... he runs hot and cold from series to series, so sometimes he stands in there to take a sack (or worse) and sometimes to deliver a strike to a young WR corps. If we pressure him, then he should not be the difference in this game.
  • RB Committee.... injuries are limiting 2 of the top 3 RBs on this roster... those stepping in are energetic, but the skills gap is showing.
  • WR Committee.... JuJu has yet to establish himself as a solid #1... meanwhile Washington has the look of a real #2.
  • TEs... they've a couple good ones in McDonald and Vanett. They are going to give us some trouble. but the game should not turn on their play.
  • OL... it's a good one and the strength of this Offense, but it is not unbeatable as LAR showed early and often... would that we had a Donald inside, but we can bring better edge pressure than the Rams did. A good mix of blitz is called for this game.

Defense:

No bullet points here...

This D is now very good going on damn good since the addition of Fitzpatrick at FS. He was their missing piece. He has set them up to play zone effectively a high percentage of the time. Even Haden looks renewed. With Micah they are now solid up the middle.... and the edges don't look too bad either.

This is not to say they won't yield points... they will... and the route is by imposing our will on them... on the ground. If we can run on their 3-man front when Mark Barron is "filling" an ILB role we can wear them down. They must pay a price for going undersized on top of being out-maned.

Then, as MN did to DAL last night, we have to PAP our asses off....

Thar's what I see anyway for this must win, divisional game....

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

A few thoughts after watching the Steelers/Rams late afternoon tilt yesterday....

Bottom Line: We've got a shot, but PTG is a much better team than they were just three weeks ago...

Offense:

• Rudolph.... the kid stands in there... have to give him that. But his play is very streaky... he runs hot and cold from series to series, so sometimes he stands in there to take a sack (or worse) and sometimes to deliver a strike to a young WR corps. If we pressure him, then he should not be the difference in this game.
  • RB Committee.... injuries are limiting 2 of the top 3 RBs on this roster... those stepping in are energetic, but the skills gap is showing.
  • WR Committee.... JuJu has yet to establish himself as a solid #1... meanwhile Washington has the look of a real #2.
  • TEs... they've a couple good ones in McDonald and Vanett. They are going to give us some trouble. but the game should not turn on their play.
  • OL... it's a good one and the strength of this Offense, but it is not unbeatable as LAR showed early and often... would that we had a Donald inside, but we can bring better edge pressure than the Rams did. A good mix of blitz is called for this game.

Defense:

No bullet points here...

This D is now very good going on damn good since the addition of Fitzpatrick at FS. He was their missing piece. He has set them up to play zone effectively a high percentage of the time. Even Haden looks renewed. With Micah they are now solid up the middle.... and the edges don't look too bad either.

This is not to say they won't yield points... they will... and the route is by imposing our will on them... on the ground. If we can run on their 3-man front when Mark Barron is "filling" an ILB role we can wear them down. They must pay a price for going undersized on top of being out-maned.

Their rookie WR from Toledo looks like a stud too.

It's a winnable game and Rudolph is very meh and streaky like you suggested.

I think Connor will be back, but our weapons are greater than Pittsburghs.

• Upvote 1

This game is truly the "season changer". Knowing what's ahead on the schedule (especially dolphins right after this one), the season would be far from over if they could pull this one out. The win would also put us firmly in the wild card conversation with a perhaps way outside view of the division. A loss, at least for me, will put me firmly in the "next year" mindset.

20 hours ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Im excited to see the Haden vs OBJ matchup. I’m expecting that Odell will shine in prime time.

Haden isn't going to be going against obj I'd wager. It's going to be either Nelson or Hilton.

21 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Offense:

Defense:

No bullet points here...

qb pressure is the key here....we don't get enough of it....we need to do something to really put this kid on his heels.....if we don't, we probably lose....

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

That would be smart....or more likely Nelso AND Hilton  (or one of them plus another DB.  Minkah?)

Hilton held Cooper kupp to zero catches last week. I'm sure obj will face some double teams. If your tackles can't stop Dupree and watt it may not even matter. I'm not trying to be arrogant either. Our defense has been lights out since fitzpatrick and the continued development of Bush. Dupree is a different player now too. People in Pittsburgh didn't want the steelers to pick up his option. It was a stupid and short sighted opinion. Now he's a must sign.

17 hours ago, stillmotion said:

Their rookie WR from Toledo looks like a stud too.

It's a winnable game and Rudolph is very meh and streaky like you suggested.

I think Connor will be back, but our weapons are greater than Pittsburghs.

Weapons? Possibly. Coaching, turnovers, penalties? Not so much. And as mentioned, Fitzpatrick has made the entire D so much better. Watt is tearing it up - Heyward, Bush, Dupree are getting after it too. For most of the LA game, the Rams only points came from D, their O couldn't do anything.  Goff had no TDs and 2 ints. 

https://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2019111009/2019/REG10/rams@steelers?icampaign=scoreStrip-globalNav-2019111009

It's certainly winnable, but they have to play like they did in Ravens' game to get this W. 

1 hour ago, Icecube said:

Weapons? Possibly

I'm sorry but when I think of weapons (I think skill position) I don't see how you only view it as possibly having better weapons.

OBJ vs Smith Schuster (adv OBJ)

Landry vs Johnson or Washington (adv Landry)

Higgins and Callaway vs the one not chosen above and Switzer (close but I've got Higgy and Callaway)

Chubb and Hunt vs Connor and Samuel/Snell (adv chubb and Hunt)

Harris vs McDonald/Vannet (this is only weapon I give advantage to squeelers and if its njoku also it's real close)

The browns absolutely have more talented weapons without question. 

4 hours ago, Vagitron said:

Hilton held Cooper kupp to zero catches last week. I'm sure obj will face some double teams. If your tackles can't stop Dupree and watt it may not even matter. I'm not trying to be arrogant either.

No, I know...our OTs suck pretty much.  And Watt is all that. Still not sure about Dupree....but, as I said, our OTs are iffy against anyone.

Our defense has been lights out since fitzpatrick and the continued development of Bush.

Well, I told you that Minkah would be a major factor for you.  I don't know how Bush is doing as I haven't seen many of the $$ games.

Dupree is a different player now too. People in Pittsburgh didn't want the steelers to pick up his option. It was a stupid and short sighted opinion. Now he's a must sign.

1 hour ago, bjh2130 said:

I'm sorry but when I think of weapons (I think skill position) I don't see how you only view it as possibly having better weapons.

Higgins and Callaway vs the one not chosen above and Switzer (close but I've got Higgy and Callaway)

Harris vs McDonald/Vannet (this is only weapon I give advantage to squeelers and if its njoku also it's real close)

Well...that has been the case against most of the Browns opponents this year.  But, our shaky OL,    and the shaky use of those weapons as displayed by Ferd has negated that advantage on a frequent basis. 

46 minutes ago, hoorta said:

I still have a DVD of that game. Three Rivers emptied out by halftime....  

Well...they were horribly spoiled to begin with.   In like the 5 years after they won a slew of titles, they were getting crowds of only like 35-45K in their 59K stadium.   Maybe their fairweatheredness has improved lately. But that was the case for a decade after their dynasty.

On 11/11/2019 at 7:26 PM, Tour2ma said:

Rudolph.... the kid stands in there... have to give him that. But his play is very streaky... he runs hot and cold from series to series, so sometimes he stands in there to take a sack (or worse) and sometimes to deliver a strike to a young WR corps. If we pressure him, then he should not be the difference in this game.

Good stuff Tour. It's worth noting that the Steelers have a stout OL and that doesn't bode well for us, ESPECIALLY since Vernon is likely out and Chad Thomas was so abysmal. I don't want to hear anything about him getting a sack. He was truly terrible (against run and pass) and it wouldn't surprise me if Devaroe Lawrence starts inside and Sheldon Richardson kicks outside. Or possibly just try that on obvious passing downs. 

The GOOD news is Myles Garrett has ALWAYS owned the Steelers' LT and he should be primed for a big game. Garrett played very well against the Bills and was a frog's hair away from being excellent. He had a very good chance to cause a strip sack, but he chopped way too high on Allen's shoulder which allowed him to somewhat throw the ball forward. If Garrett chops down on the forearm, it's a sack-fumble and possibly a defensive TD. The difference between an incomplete pass and 7 points can literally come down to a few inches. Garrett is very close, and I'm looking for him to break through tomorrow. 

32 minutes ago, LBC mike said:

I am looking at who stops the run this game will be the winner.  Conner vrs Chubb/hunt.   our receivers are better which will put us on top.

Our receivers are better.  Our RBs are better.  Our QB is better.   Their OL is better. 

Our defense should be better....but it is not playing better.    That pathetic performance vs. Denver still irks.  Although they only gave up 24 points...there was some horrendous tackling effort in that game, which lost it for them. 

13 hours ago, bjh2130 said:

We have more talent, but one could argue they have better coaching.

Minkah is playng out of this world right now and the D is no joke.

It's a matter of correct playcalling.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FALCON7 said:

Really bad match-up for the Browns, I can't see Baker and the passing game doing much at all against this D line & secondary. Maybe Chubb and Hunt can go off... 

I agree if we are trying to send 5 WRs down the field as we have through most of the year 

First you find Watt.

But It’s a Kareem Hunt screen game with the threat of Chubb on the ground and then matching up and taking shots against Joe Haden.

If we do that lovely empty set the Steelers will blitz and either sack or interrupt routes early.  Their D is always well coached and the front is always in sync with the back 7.  

Freddie needs to have an out of body play calling experience Thursday night for us to pull this out. 

I'm fine even if the Browns have to line up in a wishbone formation and screw with the squealers minds. Just beat the steelers.

Speaking of screwing with minds, like Kosar did, I loved the long throw on the first play of the game. Didn't connect, Baker overthrew it a bit,