THE BROWNS BOARD

False start penalty resulting in FG

jcam222

Was listening to AM 850 ESPN and they were saying there is a rumor that on that play Baker told Hubbard to go off sides so that they kicked instead of stupidly went for it on 4th down. Further they said you can clearly see Landry, OBJ and Hunt all making kicking motions. Perhaps Freddy and his weird decisions are really starting to lose the team. 

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

I've been a Freddie supporter....but at what point do you learn that your offensive line is NOT gonna open up a whole when the D stacks the line to stop a 1 yard gain?   Too many of the players on the OL aren't good enough to hold back the flood gates.

How many times at the goal line before you learn to take the 3 points rather than have your team walk back to the sidelines with their heads hanging?

Face it, on that given day, you weren't gonna get it done.  It's the definition of insanity.  

Browns get eight tries from inside the 3-yard line and fail to score

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/11/10/browns-get-eight-tries-from-inside-the-3-yard-line-and-fail-to-score/

To add to that this kind of stuff has to be so humiliating and peck at players self confidence.

NFL world reacts to Browns’ repeated failure at one-yard line

image.thumb.png.27af6b1a6a9521e699577f80cebd9127.png

https://sportsnaut.com/2019/11/nfl-world-reacts-to-browns-repeated-failure-at-one-yard-line/

3 hours ago, jcam222 said:

Further they said you can clearly see Landry, OBJ and Hunt all making kicking motions. Perhaps Freddy and his weird decisions are really starting to lose the team.

Wow. If this is true it would be the first time I've EVER heard of players NOT wanting to go for it. Man, that's really sad. It was so painfully obvious that we didn't possess the scrotal fortitude needed to pound the ball in, that I couldn't believe he wasn't going to kick the FG. 

When you're 4-1176 on 4th down...you kick the effing FG! Or maybe try some misdirection? Bootleg? QB draw? I will say that I loved the shuffle pass, just didn't work. Like many things that worked last year, lol. 

22 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Wow. If this is true it would be the first time I've EVER heard of players NOT wanting to go for it. Man, that's really sad. It was so painfully obvious that we didn't possess the scrotal fortitude needed to pound the ball in, that I couldn't believe he wasn't going to kick the FG. 

When you're 4-1176 on 4th down...you kick the effing FG! Or maybe try some misdirection? Bootleg? QB draw? I will say that I loved the shuffle pass, just didn't work. Like many things that worked last year, lol. 

How many times we going to try and run that shuffle pass too, when it hasn't worked yet. Or those flanker screens that are constantly getting blown up?  

I hope it really is true Baker told the OL to false start to save Freddie from his repeated bad play selection. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

How many times we going to try and run that shuffle pass too, when it hasn't worked yet. Or those flanker screens that are constantly getting blown up?  

I hope it really is true Baker told the OL to false start to save Freddie from his repeated bad play selection. 

I highly doubt he did.  Baker was animated going towards the sideline making motions like they needed to get the play in faster. When hubbard false started there was 1 second on the playclock. So am I to believe Baker told him to false start instead of just taking the delay of game that was inevitably coming? I again believe they were never going to go for it.  They were going to come out in a formation and see if the Bills left any receiver uncovered for a quick easy touchdown. Then if not take the delay of game. The difference between a 21 and 26 yarder is the 26 yarder may actually be a bit easier when the ball is on the hash  like it was.  Another reason I don't believe we were going for it is it was very clear we weren't ready to snap the ball with 1 second left on the playclock. Hell we didn't line up until 4 seconds left and Freddie didn't call a timeout.  If a coach really wants to go for it they are calling a timeout to avoid the delay of game.

As for the flanker screens at least half of those that I've seen are run plays called and Baker, like every qb in the nfl now, has the option to quickly zip it out to a receiver if they like the look whether that's we have 2 wrs and they only have one db or the db is playing to far off the wr. It's an rpo of sort as in it's a run play called with a pass option built in.  If you watch the line you can see that they are run blocking. For example on the one to Landry (not the goal line that was a called pass) where we lost 3 yards on 2nd 6 jc tretter double teamed the defensive tackle quickly with our guard and was moving up to the second level. I will rewind all of those and a lot of times where we throw a quick slant off of a playfake to see if it was a run play and to see if Baker made the right read.

9 hours ago, hoorta said:

The shovel pass needs the element of surprise, and the right situation to work. I have seen other teams do it in the red zone with good success, going back to Elway. However, I have never seen anyone do it near their own 20 yard line. Bottom line...the playcalling sucks this season...worst I've ever seen. 

2 hours ago, lodilobo said:

The shovel pass needs the element of surprise, and the right situation to work. I have seen other teams do it in the red zone with good success, going back to Elway. However, I have never seen anyone do it near their own 20 yard line. Bottom line...the playcalling sucks this season...worst I've ever seen. 

Did we do a shovel pass on our own 20? I just don't recall seeing it. However I've seen teams do it all over the field but you're right typically it's in the redzone or short yardage situation mostly.

11 hours ago, hoorta said:

I know man!  I think the truly frustrating thing is that plays like the shuffle pass worked last year!  LOL.  I specifically remember Duke Johnson literally walking into the end zone on one, and possibly another.  For whatever reason, some of the plays that worked just a year ago, aren't coming together this season.  

I'm listening to Joe Thomas now, and he's lamenting the fact that we don't have a fullback.  I know many of us feel the same way, and while it's true that a good number of NFL teams don't have a true FB, it really seems to help when you get near the goal line.  

This is a season so far of "things just not working".  I mean, take that quick fade pass to OBJ for example.  That was a great pass!  OBJ had both hands on it, but the defender waited and popped it out.  That SHOULD have worked.  It didn't, and that's the common thread for this year.  It's not very scientific, but things just AREN'T WORKING.  Last week, Demetrius Harris inexplicably leaped as high as he could to catch a pass in the end zone, that he really didn't need to jump for!  THAT should have been another TD.  The play a few weeks ago when Landry got in the end zone against the Seahawks...SHOULD HAVE BEEN a TD, but it's not this year.  We need to find a way to shake off whatever funk is stuck to our scoring ability, and hopefully that begins Thursday.  

Freddie's decision making this season reminds me of a baseball player deep in a batting slump, who always appears to be trying to hit a five run homer. 

He knows what everyone thought the offense was supposed to be this season, and he acts like he's trying to get all those missed points back.

8 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Freddie's decision making this season reminds me of a baseball player deep in a batting slump, who always appears to be trying to hit a five run homer. 

He knows what everyone thought the offense was supposed to be this season, and he acts like he's trying to get all those missed points back.

I played a game of racquetball doubles yesterday in which my partner and I were down 14-7 in a 15 point game. I got one of the partners against us to start screwing up every different serve I had in my arsenal without repeating even one as the same as any other. When he finally made yet another really bad return into the floor to make it 14-14 I just turned around, smiled and gave him the old choke sign with both hands around my throat. That is exactly what I see going on with Freddie. The good news is that maybe the "choke" is off now that he finally got the O to score in the redzone on a game winning drive at the end. We shall see.🤩

On 11/12/2019 at 9:18 AM, jiggins7919 said:

I'm listening to Joe Thomas now, and he's lamenting the fact that we don't have a fullback.  I know many of us feel the same way, and while it's true that a good number of NFL teams don't have a true FB, it really seems to help when you get near the goal line.  

I recall at least one play where it was Carlson (l think) lining up as a FB on a goal line formation, and it didn’t go well. He just became another body in the mass of humanity that nobody could have run through.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I recall at least one play where it was Carlson (l think) lining up as a FB on a goal line formation, and it didn’t go well. He just became another body in the mass of humanity that nobody could have run through.

Yeah carlson lined up at fullback in the I formation on the 1st attempt and 7th attempt. Also harris was kind of also in a full back position as he was lined up offset in front or carlson on those attempts. Harris lined up as fullback in offset I  on the 2nd attempt. 

We had an unbalanced line on the 2nd attempt with Carlson playing where the left tackle usually plays and an olineman playing on the end of the line on the right side in the typical tight end spot. Somehow in the Malik Jefferson waived post it came up and was asked where our tight ends lined up on our goalline failure. So I tortured myself and went back and watched it to answer the question. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Yep. You nailed it. PFF said the same thing. Carlson wasn't cutting the mustard.