THE BROWNS BOARD

Denzel Ward

Ibleedbrown

8 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

It looked like he had a helluva game. Seemed like every pass that came his way he was either making a play or was in position to make a play. That guy can really cover, and he was going against speedster John Brown for much of the game.

He played phenomenal after having a really good borderline great game last week.  I made note in the tavern that those are the exact receivers he locks down and why we drafted him.  When we drafted him the top receivers were john brown antonio brown and AJ green but the Bengals had just drafted john ross. All those guys are under 6 foot burners.  If ward struggles against people in man its the big tall strong receivers ala mike thomas mike Evans but even then he usually has coverage they just get it over top of him. He also needs a little work on zone coverage.  It seems ward has worked on his tackling. I didn't think he had after the first two games of the season, but it is apparent now that he was hampered by that hammy the first two weeks based on how he's played since returning from injury.

Greedy is showing promise but he is definitely not looking like Denzel did in his rookie season. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

It looked like he had a helluva game. Seemed like every pass that came his way he was either making a play or was in position to make a play. That guy can really cover, and he was going against speedster John Brown for much of the game.

He had a pretty good game. There were a few passes where our coverage was severely lacking. We struggled terribly on the intermediate routes, and there were FAR too many times Josh Allen had FOREVER to throw the ball and guys 15-20 yards down the field had 10 yards of separation. Allen isn't the best at hitting moving targets, but that guy is INCREDIBLY gifted at drilling the ball to people who are open on the intermediate level. I mean that guy slings it on a rope and it hits people in the damn CHEST. 

Ward had a good game, but definitely not great. He got beat inside several times (pretty sure it was him) and I'd be interested to see his PFF rating. Both he and Greedy gave up more pass plays than I would have liked, but both made plays down the stretch and I LOVE that. I'm actually not going to blame our secondary for the majority of the pass plays. You know who I do blame? Our freaking DL. How MANY times did Allen have ALL day to throw the ball? Other than Myles Garrett, hardly anyone made plays consistently. Did some flash? Occasionally, but far too often Allen sat back there and rifled the ball to open people. What happened when we actually got pressure? Virtually every time it was off target. I know Vernon was out, but our interior line didn't bring it. Myles definitely brought it, I just wish he would have stripped Allen that one time. He hit him high on the shoulder when the ball was totally exposed. 

• Upvote 1

The Bills' oline had a miserable season last year- the Bills went out and added pieces to fix it. They are an improved work in progress. Their OG's are big. They sure looked bigger watching them at the game with my binoculars.... 334, and 323 lbs, at ROG and LOG. Their gem in the second round, Cody Ford, RT, Is listed at 329. Their LT is at 317...

The times the Browns left the middle wide open for Allen to run through.... I hate that. Come on, dc.

• Like 1

I'm watching game again. I maintain my previous statement about Ward having a good not great game. He had that 30+ yard pass interference call (iffy) and gave up some other throws, BUT he was largely effective AND had some nice pass breakups! Especially the one in the end zone! 

Greedy got beat a few times but he also had a VERY nice late game breakup that he damn near picked off. It was one of the only incompletions Allen had from a clean pocket. It's crazy, that guy's percentage from a clean pocket vs the opposite or running is incredibly dramatic. Most people are like that, but he's got a giant separation of percentages. I don't think he completed one pass on the run. 

4 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

He had a pretty good game. There were a few passes where our coverage was severely lacking. We struggled terribly on the intermediate routes, and there were FAR too many times Josh Allen had FOREVER to throw the ball and guys 15-20 yards down the field had 10 yards of separation. Allen isn't the best at hitting moving targets, but that guy is INCREDIBLY gifted at drilling the ball to people who are open on the intermediate level. I mean that guy slings it on a rope and it hits people in the damn CHEST. 

Ward had a good game, but definitely not great. He got beat inside several times (pretty sure it was him) and I'd be interested to see his PFF rating. Both he and Greedy gave up more pass plays than I would have liked, but both made plays down the stretch and I LOVE that. I'm actually not going to blame our secondary for the majority of the pass plays. You know who I do blame? Our freaking DL. How MANY times did Allen have ALL day to throw the ball? Other than Myles Garrett, hardly anyone made plays consistently. Did some flash? Occasionally, but far too often Allen sat back there and rifled the ball to open people. What happened when we actually got pressure? Virtually every time it was off target. I know Vernon was out, but our interior line didn't bring it. Myles definitely brought it, I just wish he would have stripped Allen that one time. He hit him high on the shoulder when the ball was 

Just because the guy lined up in front of him at the start of the snap and ran an inside route doesn't mean that ward got beat to the inside. He wasn't in man coverage and those situations. He had the right deep third a lot in our cover 3. He had the defensive pass interference called on him which was questionable and allowed one catch on the last drive for about 12 yards and i think one other right at the line of scrimmage that was a 2 yard gain (and was beat once but wr dropped it) and had 4 pass breakups. In today's nfl that is a great game. 

Where is BaconHound when I need him?  He is sure to point out every time ward gives up a catch or miss a tackle to me in the tavern (bacon I actually enjoy it) and I don't recall him saying it a lot yesterday.  

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

I'm watching game again. I maintain my previous statement about Ward having a good not great game. He had that 30+ yard pass interference call (iffy) and gave up some other throws, BUT he was largely effective AND had some nice pass breakups! Especially the one in the end zone! 

Greedy got beat a few times but he also had a VERY nice late game breakup that he damn near picked off. It was one of the only incompletions Allen had from a clean pocket. It's crazy, that guy's percentage from a clean pocket vs the opposite or running is incredibly dramatic. Most people are like that, but he's got a giant separation of percentages. I don't think he completed one pass on the run. 

I looked at pff Denzel has been thrown at 31 times this year.  He has allowed 13 completions for a 41% completion percentage.  For comparison in the game yesterday there was a graphic that said tre'davious white had the lowest completion percentage allowed in the NFL at 46.2% going into yesterdays game. Denzel likely doesnt qualify because of the injury but he's right there with the league leaders.

Screenshot_20191111-130540_YouTube.jpg

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, bjh2130 said:

He played phenomenal after having a really good borderline great game last week.  I made note in the tavern that those are the exact receivers he locks down and why we drafted him.  When we drafted him the top receivers were john brown antonio brown and AJ green but the Bengals had just drafted john ross. All those guys are under 6 foot burners.  If ward struggles against people in man its the big tall strong receivers ala mike thomas mike Evans but even then he usually has coverage they just get it over top of him. He also needs a little work on zone coverage.  It seems ward has worked on his tackling. I didn't think he had after the first two games of the season, but it is apparent now that he was hampered by that hammy the first two weeks based on how he's played since returning from injury.

Greedy is showing promise but he is definitely not looking like Denzel did in his rookie season. 

He's coming on, that hammy kept him out of action for a while. Greedy doesn't have Ward's pedigree. He might be worth starting, but I don't think he will be as good as Ward should.