THE BROWNS BOARD

Freddie: "I don't look at stats."

Icecube

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2861517-freddie-kitchens-on-baker-mayfields-numbers-i-truly-dont-look-at-stats

I'm sorry. By saying this, he is either not sharp or he is lying - something he said he doesn't do all summer long.

"I just tell the truth, I thought everyone tried to do that."

A head coach is a general or commander of sorts, sans actual war. Can you imagine a general "not looking at stats" while he's trying to lead the troops?

This is a preposterous assertion. ANY competent leader looks at stats. So, we are supposed to put faith into the head man, who claims not to bother mulling over that Baker has the lowest completion % of any QB who qualifies. So, if it's so meaningless, look at the list. 

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=PASSING&conference=null&season=2019&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=PASSING_YARDS&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1

Those in the higher tier of completion %: Brady, Watson, Wilson, Rogers, Dak....All legit contenders.

Those in the bottom: Baker (dead last), Trubisky (the worst starting QB), Mariota (benched for Tannehill), Rosen, and so on. 

Is completion % the end-all evaluating factor in determining how a QB is playing? Of course not. Should the head leader of a team not even look at it? Absurdity at its best. 

But Freddie says he "just tells the truth." 

• Upvote 1

I've always hated the "we need to fire the coach" mantra that seems to follow our franchise, but I gotta tell you, I just heard Dan Orlovsky from NFL Network go through all the dumb shit Freddie has done this year and I'm stunned. Like, I'm literally shocked. He mentioned the 4th and 9 draw play (holy shit btw). OBJ with 3 red zone targets. The 4th and 11 intentional delay of game penalty. The countless clock mismanagement. Not playing Rashard Higgins. The time mismanagement against the Seahawks which literally could've lost the game. I'll just stop. Listening to him was so triggering. 

• Upvote 1

Thank You^^ I'd also include most team stats :( .. Listen to any of Freddie's post game pressers. He's aware of them, cause he rattles some off at his presser before I even look at the game stats.. were young folks. 53 need to bond, and 37 never played here.   

• Upvote 2

We  don't need stats to know how bad Baker is playing... and neither does Freddie.

That said...

I hope Freddie is not saying that he doesn't use data to break down...

• where Baker is being relatively successful;
  • the tendencies of the Defenses he faces...
  • or his own playcalling, etc... How many 3rd and medium carries for Hilliyard this season?

To not do so in this era is simply criminal.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

We  don't need stats to know how bad Baker is playing... and neither does Freddie.

That said...

I hope Freddie is not saying that he doesn't use data to break down...

• where Baker is being relatively successful;
  • the tendencies of the Defenses he faces...
  • or his own playcalling, etc... How many 3rd and medium carries for Hilliyard this season?

To not do so in this era is simply criminal.

Of course he does.

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Kitchens HAS to say this. He has to say he doesn't pay attention to stats.

Because EVERY stat known to man shows the Baker has been one of the worst, if not the worst, full-time starting QB in the NFL this season. 

And if so then, primarily, in my mind, he is that as a product of Freddie's poor coaching ability.

Because EVERY stat known to man shows the Baker has been one of the worst, if not the worst, full-time starting QB in the NFL this season. 

Every single NFL coach knows every stat and then some!

• Upvote 1

Listen, I'm scratching my head. Can an inexperienced head coach really take a record-setting (in TDs) rookie to the worst QB in the NFL?  Well, Freddie doesn't look at stats. 

The shit is rigged why not say that? Why not  cover the story about Joe Thomas getting fined 10 grand for mention that the  Dolphins got a call on the black phone and were told to change the D so Pittsburgh could score before half time? Why not cover that he was threatened to lose his job and face charges if he talks about what goes on on sidelines? If any of you knew where to look these stories are out there and the NFL is going to come to a scretching stop real soon because the corruption and fixed bull shit, Vegas calls the shots here and with Fantasy becoming so big that you can bet on the over and under how many points a player will have? GTFOH. Having a first round pick every year and never getting any better then had a decent year last year and now they all look like rookies. WWE same as NFL 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Icecube said:

One stat does, "Winn-Loss." 

2 - 6 loosely translated means "uh-oh" or you just failed at whatever it was that you were doing...... just sayin'.

"Aw shucks"..... 

3 hours ago, mjp28 said:

2 - 6 loosely translated means "uh-oh" or you just failed at whatever it was that you were doing...... just sayin'.

"Aw shucks"..... 

Yep, we’ve watched this team go from horrible to pretty good and back to horrible in just about one years time. The only real difference has been in coaching. We’re not in rebuild mode and a good coach doesn’t need a learning curve. 

• Upvote 2

I still think not having a rock solid interior of yer offensive line is hurting the Browns' offense hugely. Losing Njoku and Higgins hurt more.

Bitonio is doing double duty trying to help Robinson so much of the time... Just ...wait til next year. After the d word I hate to talk about so soon...

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

I still think not having a rock solid interior of yer offensive line is hurting the Browns' offense hugely. Losing Njoku and Higgins hurt more.

Bitonio is doing double duty trying to help Robinson so much of the time... Just ...wait til next year. After the d word I hate to talk about so soon...

But when there is time what is the excuse?and is Chubb doing this all by himself?

its the low hanging fruit argument all year. The line gives up a couple pressures and Baker holds the ball and takes sack and all of sudden the post game analysis is “well if we had a better line”.  You don’t get an abundance of time in NFL to set your feet and make throws.  You have 300 lb dancing bears caving pockets and the NFL rule book against you.  Watch Brady three step ball out.  

Im actually starting to beat the drum for a Safety really early in this upcoming draft.  Randall can leave and make 10M somewhere else.  The Fant TD should never happen to an NFL team.

And When do stop protecting the poor play of Baker and the other dimwit calling plays and managing our game plan?  And when do cut the stupid penalties out each game

I listened to the interview, which gives you the correct context. Basically, he is saying Baker is close.

If Belichick said "I dont need stats, I know what I see" then everybody nods their head. 

When you are a slow-talking former running backs coach who is 2-6 with a 6-2 roster then it is fodder to pile on.

I'm rooting hard for Freddy to turn this around, that would be great for everybody. Change is not appealing right now, figuring things out and punching Buffalo and Pittsburgh in the mouth is.

Z

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Zombo said:

I listened to the interview, which gives you the correct context. Basically, he is saying Baker is close.

If Belichick said "I dont need stats, I know what I see" then everybody nods their head. 

When you are a slow-talking former running backs coach who is 2-6 with a 6-2 roster then it is fodder to pile on.

I like this statement.  Well, really I don't....but I do think it is basically accurate.

I'm rooting hard for Freddy to turn this around, that would be great for everybody. Change is not appealing right now, figuring things out and punching Buffalo and Pittsburgh in the mouth is.

It would be great for Freddy to turn it around, he is certainly a likeable enough guy to want to see him succeed.  But boy, the evidence for that future success eludes me right now.  And now would be the time to show it. 

13 hours ago, Zombo said:

Z

Like you said, come on man, they win 2 games and everything changes. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Icecube said:

Like you said, come on man, they win 2 games and everything changes. 

So true, and the pulse reappears.  You just hate for every game to become a must win game.

GO BROWNS, impress us!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mjp28 said:

So true, and the pulse reappears.  You just hate for every game to become a must win game.

GO BROWNS, impress us!

That's kind of why last week was so damn important.  We played better on so many fronts, but we just couldn't stick the ball in the end zone (again).  Buffalo has a better defense than Denver (IMO) but they're no slouch.  Also, we moved the ball relatively well against the Patriots, and they had a very solid defense too.  If our red zone woes are fixed, we can win.  

One time for the home crowd...

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I think I'll go buy a lottery ticket. I'm feeling "dangerous" now.😁

Oh God "Vegas Aggie" is here!   :lol:

• Haha 1