THE BROWNS BOARD

This too shall pass...

Canton Mike

I will be 73 years old the 30th of this month. I love my Browns...Always have & always will. In good times & bad, it's much like my marriage (50 years in 2020 with my Bride, Colleen). If you truly love something or someone, that love & loyalty (AND hopes, wishes, & dreams) never die.....no matter how bad things may currently seem. I'm in this for the long haul & we'll weather this current storm.

GO BROWNS!!......There's a light at the end of this tunnel & I think it looks BRIGHT! 

Mike

ps: I enjoyed the '64 Champs & I hope (and plan) to see you younger folks enjoy the next one!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 10

Amen! I too think it looks bright for these Browns. Even though the current record is bad, the number of quality players we have now is higher than ever. It's been frustrating watching this year because you know they can do better, instead of them just not having enough talent like in almost every other year since '99

Also, congrats on the upcoming 50th anniversary! 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Yep-in the same boat without the long Browns history Mike. 73 in March and 50 years on Valentine's Day. Nice little exclusive club we're in huh?😁

Bill,

We have a Granddaughter graduating HS in San Antonio in 2020 & we'll fly in for that. We need to try to get together while we're there. Keep in touch & congrats to you & your Bride as well!

Mike

Just now, Canton Mike said:

Bill,

We have a Granddaughter graduating HS in San Antonio in 2020 & we'll fly in for that. We need to try to get together while we're there. Keep in touch & congrats to you & your Bride as well!

Mike

So I would assume that means either late May or early June. We're not planning anything major then that I am aware of. As soon as you have better dates let me know and we'll make our way down there. My wife loves the River Walk and we would likely stay right on it. We found a really nice hotel with great suite type rooms for a song and a dance with a free parking garage.

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

So I would assume that means either late May or early June. We're not planning anything major then that I am aware of. As soon as you have better dates let me know and we'll make our way down there. My wife loves the River Walk and we would likely stay right on it. We found a really nice hotel with great suite type rooms for a song and a dance with a free parking garage.

I will be there in July for a few days before we head over to Galveston for the cruise and my daughter’s wedding. 

4 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

I will be 73 years old the 30th of this month. I love my Browns...Always have & always will. In good times & bad, it's much like my marriage (50 years in 2020 with my Bride, Colleen). If you truly love something or someone, that love & loyalty (AND hopes, wishes, & dreams) never die.....no matter how bad things may currently seem. I'm in this for the long haul & we'll weather this current storm.

GO BROWNS!!......There's a light at the end of this tunnel & I think it looks BRIGHT! 

Mike

ps: I enjoyed the '64 Champs & I hope (and plan) to see you younger folks enjoy the next one!

That is a cool message. You are an awesome fan. Congratulations on 50 years of marriage. I am sure she is a beautiful bride. When they turn this around lots of folks will jump on the bandwagon but for you it will be a much sweeter experience. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, CoachToad said:

That is a cool message. You are an awesome fan. Congratulations on 50 years of marriage. I am sure she is a beautiful bride. When they turn this around lots of folks will jump on the bandwagon but for you it will be a much sweeter experience. 

That's just it- a lot of folks jumped on the bandwagon preseason- I'm willing to bet they jumped off just as fast. The lifelong fans like Mike and many of the others here will support the team regardless of how bad it gets. We lived through Modell and 0-16, it has to get better eventually.  

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I will be there in July for a few days before we head over to Galveston for the cruise and my daughter’s wedding. 

S.A. as well Gip? And is your daughter getting married on the cruise? We may be in Estes Park depending on when you are coming. Send me a PM with details and I'll drive down to meet you there. Already been to the Alamo? I would assume you have.

6 hours ago, CoachToad said:

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

That's just it- a lot of folks jumped on the bandwagon preseason- I'm willing to bet they jumped off just as fast. The lifelong fans like Mike and many of the others here will support the team regardless of how bad it gets. We lived through Modell and 0-16, it has to get better eventually.  

Thanks & you guys get it! There are still quite a few lifelong Browns' Fans on this board & I applaud them. To those of you who haven't yet experienced a Browns' Championship (now Super Bowl), I can't wait to see and share your unbridled joy when it happens......and it WILL!!

Thanks to all who responded.

Mike

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

S.A. as well Gip? And is your daughter getting married on the cruise? We may be in Estes Park depending on when you are coming. Send me a PM with details and I'll drive down to meet you there. Already been to the Alamo? I would assume you have.

Yep, in July..See the PM.  And, oh yea, been to the Alamo a few times.  My brother actually lived in that area before my daughter was born.... in Kerrville, you know, JMZ's home town.  So I have been there.  My brother long since moved away. (sometime in late 80s). But she ended up there.

4 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

Thanks & you guys get it! There are still quite a few lifelong Browns' Fans on this board & I applaud them. To those of you who haven't yet experienced a Browns' Championship (now Super Bowl), I can't wait to see and share your unbridled joy when it happens......and it WILL!!

Thanks to all who responded.

Mike

At our age, we have at least seen one title:   1964.  I certainly remember it.  I was 12.

9 hours ago, The Gipper said:

At our age, we have at least seen one title:   1964.  I certainly remember it.  I was 12.

I was 18 Gip & I will never forget it!!

Mike

9 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Yep, in July..See the PM.  And, oh yea, been to the Alamo a few times.  My brother actually lived in that area before my daughter was born.... in Kerrville, you know, JMZ's home town.  So I have been there.  My brother long since moved away. (sometime in late 80s). But she ended up there.

I just went to a graveside service just outside Kerrville for a friend I went to A&M with in my unit & class year. Pretty ride through Texas wine country on the way via Fredricksburg.

1 hour ago, Canton Mike said:

forget it!!

Sunday 12-27-1964..In the almost frozen tundra of The Muni 🏟️. 34 degrees/15 mph winds/felt like 23 degrees with wind chill.

A 0-0 tie at halftime turned into 17-0 Browns lead heading into the 4th.

Browns pour on 10 more in the 4th to a final score of 27-0 as the final over the Unitas Colts :D...

Dad tells me later in life, We stayed in Cleveland for days after.. 

I was a year & 8 months old.

This could have been me in the back seat of the car?     Jv0.gif                                                 Congrats Mike!!             

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I just went to a graveside service just outside Kerrville for a friend I went to A&M with in my unit & class year. Pretty ride through Texas wine country on the way via Fredricksburg.

The thing that most people may not know is that Texas Hill Country is also pretty good wine country.  Hoorta surely would, but not many others likely.

On 11/5/2019 at 7:49 PM, Canton Mike said:

will be 73 years old the 30th of this month. I love my Browns...Always have & always will. In good times & bad, it's much like my marriage (50 years in 2020 with my Bride, Colleen). If you truly love something or someone, that love & loyalty (AND hopes, wishes, & dreams) never die.....no matter how bad things may currently seem. I'm in this for the long haul & we'll weather this current storm.

Mike

No wonder you're so set in your ways - you're an OLD GEEZER ! LOL

CONGRATS !

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

No wonder you're so set in your ways - you're an OLD GEEZER ! LOL

CONGRATS !

Yep! I'm a happy OLD GEEZER who just had a physical & is STILL un-medicated, with no diet restrictions. My Bride tells folks that my body is preserved with salt & alcohol...I tell ya, it's fresh ground sea salt & peppercorns, chased with Old Leghumper & Labatt's Blue....topped off with plenty of laughter!!  :lol: 

Mike

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Mike

Thank God you're here! I was getting the idea that maybe everyone here was younger than me. I'll be 70 in February. Still the same / love hate relationship with the Browns. I remember listening to that '64 Championship game on my 3 transistor radio that had no speaker...only an earplug. 

2 hours ago, lodilobo said:

Thank God you're here! I was getting the idea that maybe everyone here was younger than me. I'll be 70 in February. Still the same / love hate relationship with the Browns. I remember listening to that '64 Championship game on my 3 transistor radio that had no speaker...only an earplug. 

Interesting lodilobo. I listened to college & pro games on Armed Forces Radio Service on my dad's Zenith Transatlantic Short Wave Radio from 1959-65 in Venezuela. They had some really excellent play by play announcers back in those days. It was before TV took over the live NCAA and NFL and mostly had baseball. Radio Days were something else.

COOL ! I'm not anywhere near the oldest, and I used to watch the old Roy Rogers westerns in black and white...on a black and white tv !

and my older cousin Shirley and I used to listen to Elvis records. I only remember "heartbreak hotel"..... Five years ago, she said she'll never forget the funny faces I made when we did that back then.

egad. Elvis. Roy sang better than him... LOL

I was always "Cactus Pete", and my parents and relatives could never figure out where "Cactus Pete" came from. Maybe I invented it, I have pictures of me in that black cowboy hate, boots and western pistols..., no idea here. lol any older geezer know? lol

3 hours ago, lodilobo said:

Right, in those days  NO NFL home games were allowed to be shown live on local TV, even if it was sold out with 80,000 plus fans.  And that included the NFL Championship game. 

We had to watch it on tape delay on the following Sunday night.   I think it got such great ratings for that replay that that was the genesis for the concept of Monday Night Football.

5 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

I was always "Cactus Pete", and my parents and relatives could never figure out where "Cactus Pete" came from. Maybe I invented it, I have pictures of me in that black cowboy hate, boots and western pistols..., no idea here. lol any older geezer know? lol

I dunno but if you dress up like that now I know where you can score a free room. Yeha! 🤠

https://www.cactuspetes.com/hotel/

• Haha 1

Mike

Love the optimism and attitude in life. Congrats on your lengthy marriage. But although "this shall pass" the problem is, it's all been passing from one abject failure to another for far too long! Hopefully some things are in place and they just need to fix a few holes that still remain (head coach, upgraded OL). 

On 11/7/2019 at 11:06 AM, The Gipper said:

Right, in those days  NO NFL home games were allowed to be shown live on local TV, even if it was sold out with 80,000 plus fans.  And that included the NFL Championship game. 

We had to watch it on tape delay on the following Sunday night.   I think it got such great ratings for that replay that that was the genesis for the concept of Monday Night Football.

Yeah- the 1964 Championship game was blacked out on local TV- and to this day, I've never seen it in it's entirety. I wasn't aware at the time it was rebroadcast later. 

BUT- on another note, in honor of NFL 100, I have a DVR of the first MNF game. Now if I could just figure out a way to get it off the Directv box to some remote media...  When you switch boxes to upgrade everything you have taped goes bye bye.  :(  Oh, I do have a DVD of the Browns double OT win against the Jets- I even sent Howie a copy....