THE BROWNS BOARD

will Hunt make a difference?

LBC mike

On 11/5/2019 at 2:19 PM, hoorta said:

Perusing the stats for the upcoming game against the Bills- their overall defense is even better than the Broncos. But they've been giving up over 140 yards on interior rushing over the last three games. Um, Freddie- that's says run against them with Chubb and Hunt- and then run against them some more. 

BTW, their offense is pretty average. Don't turn the ball over Baker, and give them defensive scores. 

Their offense is very average, but sadly our Browns fall victim to misdirection plays. Allen isn't great, but play-fakes well, so that's a concern. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

Their offense is very average, but sadly our Browns fall victim to misdirection plays. Allen isn't great, but play-fakes well, so that's a concern. 

The way I see it, Allen reminds me A LOT of Brandon Allen for the Broncos.  He's a big guy who likes to run and he has a tendency to make 1 or 2 big time scoring throws a game, and that's all they need because their defense takes care of the rest.  The difference between the two is Allen has a gigantic arm, but that's not always a big deal in the NFL.  

I see a ton of similarities between the Broncos and the Bills, so maybe we'll fix our mistakes and learn what works in the red zone.  I'm slightly encouraged because I saw our team cut down the penalties and the turnovers, so that tells me we have the ABILITY to work on our game and make corrections.  Baker also didn't throw an interception last game, which was a nice sight (he SHOULD have thrown one, but it was dropped).  Baker also should've thrown another TD pass, but Harris has the body control of a newborn giraffe, so he landed a foot out of bounds.  

We cut out the turnovers, we reduced the penalties, and we moved the ball against a good defense.  Buffalo is a team that LOVES to get you into a dirty, ugly contest, so if we can stay clean again, we'll have a shot to win.  Of course, we've had a shot to win a bunch of games, but whatever.  LOL

If nothing else, I'd love to see us win a home game for the crowd.  I feel really bad for those people who were expecting a much different product, and haven't gotten to celebrate a victory yet.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, ballpeen said:

A classic look will be the package where Chubb and Hunt are on the sidelines and Hilliard is in to gain the short 1st down yardage.

Classic,  yea, sure.  A classic fuckup.  Like the French at Agincour or Crecy, or Gallipoli,  or the Spanish Armada, or Napolean, and then Hitler invading Russia in winter, or The Little Bighorn,  or building the Maginot Line,  or The Bay of Pigs

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

No, it's your opinion.

And most of us on here know what GIp's opinions are worth.

So then, in your opinion  Freddie is doing just a wonderful fucking job, and all the problems with this team fall on someone else.

Now, my favorite author has a term for what an opinion like that would be worth:   A cabbage fart.

On 11/5/2019 at 5:36 PM, nickers said:

Yes and let Hilliard try and pound the rock in the red zone again!

freddie is clueless Hey lets not try and get the ball to our playmakers run Metcalf up the middle

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, ATOM said:

freddie is clueless Hey lets not try and get the ball to our playmakers run Metcalf up the middle

YEAH! Remember THAT idiot HC?....Bill something, right?  😉

Mike

• Haha 1

On 11/7/2019 at 11:18 AM, The Gipper said:

Classic,  yea, sure.  A classic fuckup.  Like the French at Agincour or Crecy, or Gallipoli,  or the Spanish Armada, or Napolean, and then Hitler invading Russia in winter, or The Little Bighorn,  or building the Maginot Line,  or The Bay of Pigs

Quite the war history buff. 😁

On 11/7/2019 at 8:18 AM, The Gipper said:

or like diehard asking to be banned    hahahahhaa

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Comeonman said:

I just imagine the damage that can be done throwing out of the I formation with Chubb and Hunt with OBJ and Landry out wide. God..... so much talent on this team with nothing to show for it. 

Who plays fullback in this scenario? 

19 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Who plays fullback in this scenario? 

I don't think we have an actual fullback on the roster, do we?  

So, good question:  which one is the Greg Pruitt and which one is the Mike Pruitt?

Which one is the Byner, which one is the Mack?

Both could be excellent ground gainers, like the above pairs. 

Just now, The Gipper said:

I don't think we have an actual fullback on the roster, do we?  

So, good question:  which one is the Greg Pruitt and which one is the Mike Pruitt?

Which one is the Byner, which one is the Mack?

Both could be excellent ground gainers, like the above pairs. 

Well if you were going to run the I formation, you'd have to have either Chubb or Hunt in the fullback position, the other being the tailback. 

1 minute ago, Dutch Oven said:

Well if you were going to run the I formation, you'd have to have either Chubb or Hunt in the fullback position, the other being the tailback. 

Yea, I get that, but I don't know who would be what.   We could go by simple dimensions:

Chubb is 5'10 227 lbs.    Hunt is 5'11  201.   Seems that Chubb has the shorter, heavier, more squatty body.  But that is not dispositive. He has obviously proven to be the speedster....with 92 and 86 yard TD runs to his credit. 

If you all recall,    Jim Brown was 6'2  232 pounds .   Ernie Green was only 205 lbs....but he played the primary blocking back roll over the bigger, heavier Brown .....even though JB was designated as the "Fullback"    ..that was just nomenclature.   Of course, back in the 60s/70s, the Fullback was often the main RB.   JB, Jim Taylor, Cookie Gilchrist, Bill Brown,  Larry Csonka, John Henry Johnson, Franco Harris, Earl Campbell,  John Riggins, Don Perkins, Joe Perry, etc. 

15 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Yea, I get that, but I don't know who would be what.   We could go by simple dimensions:

Chubb is 5'10 227 lbs.    Hunt is 5'11  201.   Seems that Chubb has the shorter, heavier, more squatty body.  But that is not dispositive. He has obviously proven to be the speedster....with 92 and 86 yard TD runs to his credit. 

If you all recall,    Jim Brown was 6'2  232 pounds .   Ernie Green was only 205 lbs....but he played the primary blocking back roll over the bigger, heavier Brown .....even though JB was designated as the "Fullback"    ..that was just nomenclature.   Of course, back in the 60s/70s, the Fullback was often the main RB.   JB, Jim Taylor, Cookie Gilchrist, Bill Brown,  Larry Csonka, John Henry Johnson, Franco Harris, Earl Campbell,  John Riggins, Don Perkins, Joe Perry, etc. 

I imagine Chubb being the tailback in this situation still, even though he is bigger. Hunt seems to be the bigger bruiser 

Hunt had IIRC 50 yards, but over 7ypc. Also had some receptions. The good thing about having Chubb and Hunt is that both can serve as a dual threat.

One can play as fullback like Hunt did this time, while the other pounds the rock. If both are on the field, you making the defense wonder about which personnel they have to use: either they load the front 7 and you spread the backs, or they keep DBs who are no match in the run game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Nero said:

Hunt had IIRC 50 yards, but over 7ypc. Also had some receptions. The good thing about having Chubb and Hunt is that both can serve as a dual threat.

One can play as fullback like Hunt did this time, while the other pounds the rock. If both are on the field, you making the defense wonder about which personnel they have to use: either they load the front 7 and you spread the backs, or they keep DBs who are no match in the run game.

Funny thing about Hunt is how dangerous he looked. He looked DIFFERENT when he had the ball and I'm thinking he's going to be a weapon for us. Best of all, his role seemed to mesh well with Chubb. Also, I can't say it enough, but Hunt's blocking was beastly. His effort was extremely noticeable and infectious. Well done young man. 

• Thanks 1

I hate what the dude did in his personal life....... but I'm sooo glad I picked up Hunt 4 weeks ago. Dude looked crazy fast, and if Knucklehead Freddie can figure out a way to get him and Chubb on the field at the same time for a healthy % of plays - like going with a 2RB pro set,  2WR,  1TE look, then who knows what is possible on offense.

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

Funny thing about Hunt is how dangerous he looked. He looked DIFFERENT when he had the ball and I'm thinking he's going to be a weapon for us. Best of all, his role seemed to mesh well with Chubb. Also, I can't say it enough, but Hunt's blocking was beastly. His effort was extremely noticeable and infectious. Well done young man. 

And as soon as Freddie finally figures out he is the primary back inside the 5, then we'll see some regular scoring and not that shitshow series of deja vu plays.

Are our problems at the goal line ultimately just that our OL  is not good enough to perform and are getting beaten like redheaded stepchildren at the line of scrimmage....or is there something in the blocking schemes that are FUBAR such that we can't run the goddamned thing in from inside the 5?

10 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Are our problems at the goal line ultimately just that our OL  is not good enough to perform and are getting beaten like redheaded stepchildren at the line of scrimmage....or is there something in the blocking schemes that are FUBAR such that we can't run the goddamned thing in from inside the 5?

Handing it to the wrong back. Hunt can cure that in a NY minute. That was his greatest value in KC and we should have known it. Chubb's greatest value is in getting us to that position in the first place as the workhorse. But you need the thoroughbred to finish the race.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Handing it to the wrong back. Hunt can cure that in a NY minute. That was his greatest value in KC and we should have known it. Chubb's greatest value is in getting us to that position in the first place as the workhorse. But you need the thoroughbred to finish the race.

I see your point Tex but I have to question the ability of our O line's blocking down at the goal line. Even Hunt can't make a hole if it is not there.

4 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

I see your point Tex but I have to question the ability of our O line's blocking down at the goal line. Even Hunt can't make a hole if it is not there.

That continued pitchout play was ridiculous. Just hand it off to Hunt. He finds any little crack or powers sideways past any defender breaking through. It's what he does best. Go watch his carries in the game and you'll see how he does it. It made no sense to not use him at crunch time.

3 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

That continued pitchout play was ridiculous. Just hand it off to Hunt. He finds any little crack or powers sideways past any defender breaking through. It's what he does best. Go watch his carries in the game and you'll see how he does it. It made no sense to not use him at crunch time.

I agree Hunt should be the go to guy down at the goal line and short yardage. 

11 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I felt like our Oline and blockers in general were simply getting swarmed over and manhandled on the goal line situations. Buffalo seemed to be quite stout at the goal line.