THE BROWNS BOARD

will Hunt make a difference?

LBC mike

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I read this on a Browns fan FB page and it is an interesting thought...

Remember on Hard Knocks when Hue mentioned to Baker that Tyrod Taylor would get to Berea at 5am every day, and questioned Baker on when he got there? It makes me wonder if there might be something to the "Baker was concerned with everything else but becoming a better QB" this offseason. Like Baker kind of skated on the homework of knowing the playbook front and back. 

I hate to say it -but- I was wondering if the new and now GQ famous Mr Mayfield was concerned in the off-season about everything but football especially the part about being famous for doing stupid insurance commercials and the like.  Cutting and arranging flowers? 

Sorry Baker you're no Aaron Rodgers......even though you are trying to be him in commercials.  Eh?

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I read this on a Browns fan FB page and it is an interesting thought...

Remember on Hard Knocks when Hue mentioned to Baker that Tyrod Taylor would get to Berea at 5am every day, and questioned Baker on when he got there? It makes me wonder if there might be something to the "Baker was concerned with everything else but becoming a better QB" this offseason. Like Baker kind of skated on the homework of knowing the playbook front and back. 

As I understand, Baker is almost always the first one  in to Berea.  So, throw that theory out the window.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

As I understand, Baker is almost always the first one  in to Berea.  So, throw that theory out the window.

So? And probably the janitor is there too like in one of Baker's many commercials  -but-. that alone might not make him a better NFL starting quarterback.

True being there before everybody else might set a good example for the others as a team leader but the onfield performance sunk like a rock from 2018 to 2019.

When you try to look at and analyze all of the variables here something just does not add up..... except for 2-6 that adds up real easy.

16 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

So? And probably the janitor is there too like in one of Baker's many commercials  -but-. that alone might not make him a better NFL starting quarterback.

True being there before everybody else might set a good example for the others as a team leader but the onfield performance sunk like a rock from 2018 to 2019.

When you try to look at and analyze all of the variables here something just does not add up..... except for 2-6 that adds up real easy.

The So?   is that unlike some other shortish QB we had here, he is not out partying all night.  

By all appearances, he is dedicated to his work.  SO.....look elsewhere for reasons that he has not lived up to expectations.   I think I know where to look for the most part. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

I hate to say it -but- I was wondering if the new and now GQ famous Mr Mayfield was concerned in the off-season about everything but football especially the part about being famous for doing stupid insurance commercials and the like.  Cutting and arranging flowers? 

Sorry Baker you're no Aaron Rodgers......even though you are trying to be him in commercials.  Eh?

You’re trolling, right? 

In other news. ESPN had Browns at only 55% chance to beat Broncos in Denver.

This week: 60% odds to beat Buffalo in Cleveland...

The Kareem Hunt effect? Or home field?

5 minutes ago, MDDawg said:

It's not about Chubb but replacing Hilliard in those situations where Hilliard's on the field in critical situations as we've seen too often this season.

Yeah if Freddie has it in his mind Hilliard is a replacement for Duke Johnson- well he isn't. Not even close. 

With Hunt back on the field, I don't want to see any of Hilliard.

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

You’re trolling, right? 

In other news. ESPN had Browns at only 55% chance to beat Broncos in Denver.

This week: 60% odds to beat Buffalo in Cleveland...

The Kareem Hunt effect? Or home field?

Trolling? I wish.  Mr Mayfield looks totally lost on the field and except for parts of the Baltimore game it's been half of the 2019 season. AND he's no rookie!

And it's still pretty much CLE -3 at home and even a CLE -1.5 favorite in the first half and better yet the Money Line on the game.  Why? Because on paper Cleveland is clearly the better team......but they play on dirt not paper.  GO BROWNS, I hope that they win, 2-7 sounds so ugly.

Screenshot_2019-11-06_125438.jpg

The one thing I'll say about Hunt stems from what Browns Daily host Nathan Zegura said, and that's Kareem Hunt was on a different level from what little he was able to see in practice. Apparently Hunt routinely made defenders look silly in drills and had a special look to once he caught the ball. 

Hilliard hurt our team for various reasons. On one run in particular, he missed the hole and his hesitation likely cost him the first down. How does the game turnout if that drive doesn't stall? Obviously we can't know, but that's an example. Perhaps our offense needs that one extra play maker? That one extra guy who can make someone miss. Hunt is a rare talent who can take a short pass and go to the house. We desperately need that, and I'll be interested to see how it goes. 

1 minute ago, jiggins7919 said:

The one thing I'll say about Hunt stems from what Browns Daily host Nathan Zegura said, and that's Kareem Hunt was on a different level from what little he was able to see in practice. Apparently Hunt routinely made defenders look silly in drills and had a special look to once he caught the ball. 

Hilliard hurt our team for various reasons. On one run in particular, he missed the hole and his hesitation likely cost him the first down. How does the game turnout if that drive doesn't stall? Obviously we can't know, but that's an example. Perhaps our offense needs that one extra play maker? That one extra guy who can make someone miss. Hunt is a rare talent who can take a short pass and go to the house. We desperately need that, and I'll be interested to see how it goes. 

I just hope the guy isn't rusty, or gets one of those damn hammy pulls right out of the gate.... 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, hoorta said:

I just hope the guy isn't rusty, or gets one of those damn hammy pulls right out of the gate.... 

Totally.  I'll also say that having Hunt as the sole RB makes it difficult for defenses to know what we're doing because he's such a dynamic runner and receiver.  Our coach got a lot of grief for running Hilliard on those 3rd and 3's, but it wasn't the play call that was the problem, it was the personnel.  That 3rd and 3 towards the end had a 6 man box, so running it was the proper check.  Running it with CHUBB I mean.  

We'll see, I'm trying to get excited about SOMETHING.  LOL

On 11/5/2019 at 11:03 AM, The Gipper said:

At least have him out there to catch a checkdown pass or something. A device that this team has never apparently heard of.

He won't be in football shape his 1st game back. The only way to get in "football shape" is to play real football. It will take until his 3rd game to be worthy of many touches and Cubb is rushing as good as any RB in the league, so how do you take touches away from him?

46 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Or the famous fumble the first time you get popped for real.

He was kinda supposed to give Chubb a break after carrying the load for half of the season......oh yes deadly combo after that.

33 minutes ago, Icecube said:

He won't be in football shape his 1st game back. The only way to get in "football shape" is to play real football. It will take until his 3rd game to be worthy of many touches and Cubb is rushing as good as any RB in the league, so how do you take touches away from him?

By putting Hilliard in the game instead like a dumbazz.....  

On 11/5/2019 at 10:09 AM, mjp28 said:

Which Hunt?  Get it which Hunt......seems to be a popular topic lately.

For the BROWNS of course it will help, give them a more dynamic offense pounding them with Chubb then counterpunch with Hunt.  PLUS a good outlet reciever for BM.

Can't hurt at home vs Buffalo.

ahhhh, i'd like to agree with ya......but.....bills have one of the best defenses in the league....bills will win this game with their d alone.....hopefully our soft defense will come to play, but i think we will see what we have seen this yr...they will look good the first series or two and then collapse for whatever reason....our offensive guru coach will still not figure out how to do anything giving our offense limited time on the field....hopefully it changes and the team realizes that even though they are done this yr, they are still getting paid to do a job....

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

that is not saying much....every running back in the nfl makes our db's look silly....not saying much there...now buffalo is a different story...if he makes them look silly  well then.......

5 hours ago, The Gipper said:

The So?   is that unlike some other shortish QB we had here, he is not out partying all night.  

By all appearances, he is dedicated to his work.  SO.....look elsewhere for reasons that he has not lived up to expectations.   I think I know where to look for the most part. 

That's a convenient theory.

It definitely makes one way more warm and fuzzy to blame Mayfield's serious regression on Kitchens than to consider the alternative. 

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

As is the one about Baker being first to work.

Odd that google can find no support for his arrival time.

36 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

even Grossi admitted on a redzone tv show Baker arrives early in the building..which matches some of his teammates at the practice podium that have said it too..how grossi would know? can't tell ya. Believe the players? can't tell ya 

52 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Yeah Tour but take a look at the clips that are embedded in the link from Frelund. It ain't pretty.That's more lousy passes than we saw out of Baker all last year. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001073995/article/baker-mayfield-browns-just-have-to-stay-the-course

But then again- I'm gonna read between the lines- have opposing D- coordinators figured Freddie out? If he's running the same plays as last year?  Sure, put your QB in second and third and a mile- (thanks to penalties) your odds of completing a pass go way down.  :)  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001073991/article/baker-mayfield-isnt-alone-in-blame-two-sleeper-wide-receivers

7 hours ago, Icecube said:

Uhm, read the post you responded to.   I said hopefully with Hunt in there,  Baker will use him more for checkdown passes. I said nothing about taking away carries from Chubb.  Hello!   

And how does a guy get into football shape?  They play football. So, let him play some, or a lot, depending on how he is doing.

5 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

It definitely makes one way more warm and fuzzy to blame Mayfield's serious regression on Kitchens than to consider the alternative. 

Convenient, and mostly accurate theory.   And I don't know if it makes you warm and fuzzy or not.  It is just factual.  Deal with that in whatever way you choose.

1 hour ago, ballpeen said:

A classic look will be the package where Chubb and Hunt are on the sidelines and Hilliard is in to gain the short 1st down yardage.

So the real question becomes, will Freddie find a way to misuse the #33 player in the league according to NFL players? The rookie who led all rushers for total yards and yac for the 2018 season?

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Convenient, and mostly accurate theory.   And I don't know if it makes you warm and fuzzy or not.  It is just factual.  Deal with that in whatever way you choose.

No, it's your opinion.

And most of us on here know what GIp's opinions are worth.

11 hours ago, hoorta said:

But then again- I'm gonna read between the lines- have opposing D- coordinators figured Freddie out? If he's running the same plays as last year?  Sure, put your QB in second and third and a mile- (thanks to penalties) your odds of completing a pass go way down.  :)  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001073991/article/baker-mayfield-isnt-alone-in-blame-two-sleeper-wide-receivers

good find H... Frelund's link^^ has solid points.. the all 22's halo's she speaks of, showed up during & after we played the Rams.. digging our own holes, lead to panic play calling of deeper routes. Over taking chunk plays..Even Talib, has spoke out & The Rams knew we were going to roll everything to Bake's right to bye time 🙄