THE BROWNS BOARD

And now for something completely different

The Gipper

Taking the mind off the suckass performance, yet still on sports, I don't know why I was compelled to compile this:

A categorization of all sports team names...at least all of the 4 major pro sports.  Here is I came up with:

CATS:

Lions, Tigers, Bengals, Jaguars, and a pair of Panthers....Carolina and Florida

BIRDS

Falcons, Ravens, Eagles, Seahawks Orioles, Blue Jays, Pelicans, Ducks, Hawks, Penguins, and I am including Red Wings, and a pair of Cardinals  St. L and AZ

Aquatic Creatures:

Dolphins, Marlins, Rays, Sharks

Other Animals of any sort:

Bears, Broncos, Colts, Rams, Predators, Ph(F)illies, Diamondbacks, Hornets, Bulls, Mavericks, Grizzlies, Bucks, Timberwolves, Raptors (maybe could be under birds), Coyotes, Bruins

Fairy Tale/Mystical Creatures

Titans, Angels, Devils, Magic, and  pair of Giants  SF and NY

Colors

Reds, Blues, Browns

Men's Names

Bills

(or I could have put Browns on here, depending on point of view)

Weather Phenomena

Heat, Thunder, Lightning, Suns, Avalanche, Hurricanes

Inanimate Objects/machinery

Spurs, Jazz, Sabres, Flames, Nets, White Sox, Red Sox, Rockies, Capitals, Maple Leafs, Wild, Stars, Blue Jackets, Nuggets, Pistons, Rockets, Clippers, Lakers?

And by far the largest list:    Occupations/Avocations/Statuses...but perhaps a bit broken down:

Native American reference:

Chiefs, Redskins,, Indians, Braves, Blackhawks, Warriors

Occupations associated with aggressive violent behavior:

Chargers, Vikings, Raiders, Buccaneers, Pirates, Cavaliers (which if you did not know was an English military force)

National or Geographic status/affiliation

Canadiennes, Canucks, Islanders, Texans, Patriots, Yankees, Nationals, Celtics, 76ers

Industrial/Agricultural jobs/statuses:

Steelers, Oilers, Brewers, Packers, Mariners, Cowboys, Flyers (assuming this names means like someone who flies a plane), 49ers (who were miners) Ranger (TX and NY), Trailblazers

Religious and Monarchical, Majestical  titles

Royals, Saints, Padres, Golden Knights, Wizards and  a pair of Kings  Sacramento and LA

Athletic jobs:

A's  (short for Athletics),  Pacers

Miscellaneous/undefined:

Mets, Knicks, Dodgers

4 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Taking the mind off the suckass performance, yet still on sports, I don't know why I was compelled to compile this:

Miscellaneous/undefined:

Mets, Knicks, Dodgers

Ah Gipper- you should at least know better on the last three. Two are abbreviations. Mets = Metropolitans. Knicks = Knickerbockers.  From Wiki -  Knickerbockers or knickers are a form of men's or boys' baggy-kneed trousers particularly popular in the early 20th century United States.  Before World War II, skiers often wore knickerbockers too, usually ankle-length.

Dodgers? Well, they started in Brooklyn, where you had to dodge traffic?  :D 

7 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Ah Gipper- you should at least know better on the last three. Two are abbreviations. Mets = Metropolitans. Knicks = Knickerbockers.  From Wiki -  Knickerbockers or knickers are a form of men's or boys' baggy-kneed trousers particularly popular in the early 20th century United States.  Before World War II, skiers often wore knickerbockers too, usually ankle-length.

Dodgers? Well, they started in Brooklyn, where you had to dodge traffic?  :D 

Well, I knew that....but they still fit into a Misc category.

And I don't think that the Knickerbockers term came from the use of the baggy trousers.  

I think that term goes back to even Pre-revolution NY.....even perhaps having something to do with the Dutch.

....so...in checking it does go back to the pre revolution Dutch....but it IS in reference to the type of pants they wore...but even more than that.  It can refer to a New Yorker who can trace his ancestry to the colonial Dutch.

The term "Knickerbockers" traces its origin to the Dutch settlers who came to the New World - and especially to what is now New York - in the 1600s. Specifically, it refers to the style of pants the settlers wore...pants that rolled up just below the knee, which became known as "Knickerbockers", or "knickers".

In 1809, legendary author Washington Irving solidified the knickerbocker name in New York lore when he wrote the satiric A History of New York from the Beginning of the World to the End of the Dutch Dynasty under the pseudonym Diedrich Knickerbocker. Later known as Knickerbockers History of New York, Irvings book introduced the word "knickerbocker" to signify a New Yorker who could trace his or her ancestry to the original Dutch settlers.

With the publication of Irvings book, the Dutch settler "Knickerbocker" character became synonymous with New York City. The city's most popular symbol of the late 19th and early 20th centuries was "Father Knickerbocker", complete with cotton wig, three-cornered hat, buckled shoes, and, of course, knickered pants.

At the same time, the term "Knickerbocker" became indelibly linked to anything and everything New York...from Jacob Rupperts Knickerbocker Beer to the 1938 Broadway musical Knickerbocker Holiday (which starred Walter Huston and featured the haunting "September Song") to famed society gossip columnists Cholly Knickerbocker (the nom de plume used by Maury Paul and Igor Cassini) and Suzy Knickerbocker (Aileen Mehle).

The Knickerbocker name had its first use in the sports world in 1845, when Alexander Cartwright's Manhattan-based baseball team - the first organized team in baseball history - was named the "New York Knickerbockers" or the "Knickerbocker Nine." The Knickerbocker name stayed with the team even after it moved its base of operations to Elysian Fields at Hoboken, NJ in 1846. (The baseball link may have prompted Casey Stengel to joyously exclaim, "It's great to be back as the manager of the Knickerbockers!" when he was named pilot of the newborn Mets in 1961).

Thus, the Knickerbocker name had been an integral part of the New York scene for more than a century when the Basketball Association of America granted a charter franchise to the city in the summer of 1946. As can best be determined, the final decision to call the team the "Knickerbockers" was made by the club's founder, the legendary Ned Irish.

The late Fred Podesta, the longtime Garden executive who passed away in 1999, once recalled, "The name came out of a hat. We were all sitting in the office one day - Irish, (publicity man) Lester Scott and a few others on the staff. We each put a name in the hat, and when we pulled them out, most of them said Knickerbockers, after Father Knickerbocker, the symbol of New York City. It soon was shortened to Knicks."

In keeping with another New York tradition, the team's colors have always (except for the years from 1979-80 through 1982-83) been orange, blue and white...the official colors of New York City.

So now you know.

As for the Dodgers, yes,  it was actually from "Trolley Dodgers" because of all the trolleys in use in at that time.   Having taken that name with them to LA, of course, made no real sense.  But the O'Malleys didn't care about making sense.  Just making money. 

And then, yes, Mets is short for Metropolitans.....but what is a Metropolitan? 

As far as I know a Metropolitan is simply a resident of a large Metropolitan area. 

Maybe that should go under the "geographic affiliation category"

The newest major league franchise is going to be a Seattle NHL team.  As far as I know they have not chosen a name for that team yet.

What do you think they should be called?  Here is an article:

Kraken is one of the suggestions.

Totems, Emeralds, Rainiers, Sockeyes, Renegades, Sea Lions, Seals, Evergreens, Whales, Cougars, Eagles and Firebirds also made the list of 13 potential names the Seattle ownership group registered for the city’s latest expansion team.

According to ESPN Sports Business Reporter Darren Rovell, oddsmakers in Vegas have the“Seattle Totems” as an early-minus favorite

One name absent from the list is the Seattle Metropolitans, the name of Seattle’s former team that became the first American club to win a Stanley Cup in 1917.

Also, somewhere in Seattle is a Seattle division 6 level hockey team called The Flying Monkees.

And since Seattle is the home of Microsoft...how about the Seattle Software. 

Or, the Amazons.   

Of course, in homage to the aircraft industry that was centered there, there used to be the Supersonics.  no more.

Of course Seattle Space Needles would be appropriate.  

Someone also suggested the "Starpucks". 

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

The newest major league franchise is going to be a Seattle NHL team.  As far as I know they have not chosen a name for that team yet.

What do you think they should be called?  Here is an article:

Kraken is one of the suggestions.

Totems, Emeralds, Rainiers, Sockeyes, Renegades, Sea Lions, Seals, Evergreens, Whales, Cougars, Eagles and Firebirds also made the list of 13 potential names the Seattle ownership group registered for the city’s latest expansion team.

According to ESPN Sports Business Reporter Darren Rovell, oddsmakers in Vegas have the“Seattle Totems” as an early-minus favorite

One name absent from the list is the Seattle Metropolitans, the name of Seattle’s former team that became the first American club to win a Stanley Cup in 1917.

Also, somewhere in Seattle is a Seattle division 6 level hockey team called The Flying Monkees.

And since Seattle is the home of Microsoft...how about the Seattle Software. 

Or, the Amazons.   

Of course, in homage to the aircraft industry that was centered there, there used to be the Supersonics.  no more.

Of course Seattle Space Needles would be appropriate.  

Someone also suggested the "Starpucks". 

Ha, since Baltimore wanted bird names, to go with the Seahawks, I nominate the Sea Gulls.  :D Salmons? Squids, Shrimp? Slugs? :D Don't laugh UC Santa Cruz are the mighty Banana Slugs. 

8 hours ago, hoorta said:

Ha, since Baltimore wanted bird names, to go with the Seahawks, I nominate the Sea Gulls.  :D Salmons? Squids, Shrimp? Slugs? :D Don't laugh UC Santa Cruz are the mighty Banana Slugs. 

Yea,  Seahawks, Mariners.  I guess they gotta go with some nautical type name.   I guess they could be the " Seattle 300 Days of Rain".

And, you know, Baltimore did have at one time the NBA team  The Bullets....which has since moved to DC.   But if they still had them, then instead of Ravens they could have stuck with a theme.  You could have had any of these names which are the types of guns most used in street crimes:

 .357 Magnum

.38 Special

.22 caliber

.25 caliber

9 millimeter

.380 caliber

.44 Magnum

.45 caliber

.32 caliber revolvers

were on to the Buffalo Bullwinkles?

11 minutes ago, flyingfooldoug said:

that has a ring to it. 

were on to The Buffalo Bullwinkle's ? 

deep stuff right here

8 minutes ago, Gorka said:

What two NFL teams, one in the AFC and one in the NFC have nicknames that describe exactly the same thing?

Nice question, I like it.  

Some possibilities, off the top of my head:    Giants and Titans?  Both huge mythical creatures.    Panthers and Jaguars? No, both big cats, but not the same species. 

Raiders and Buccaneers could be considered the same thing more or less...but each can have other definitions. 

I would not think that a Seahawk is the same as either an Eagle or a Falcon (besides...all those are NFC teams)

I think I have to stick with Giants and Titans. 

14 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Nice question, I like it.  

Some possibilities, off the top of my head:    Giants and Titans?  Both huge mythical creatures.    Panthers and Jaguars? No, both big cats, but not the same species. 

I think I have to stick with Giants and Titans. 

You're right.. in that its what I was thinking...however after looking it up they are not exactIy the same thing ..should have verified it first before posting.

As nouns the difference between giant and titan is that giant is a mythical human of very great size while titan is something or someone of very large stature, greatness, or godliness.

A Pirate and Buccaneer would be the same thing.

The Bengals and the Tigers another one...