THE BROWNS BOARD

***Browns @ Broncos Game Day Thread***

BrownsDawgPound

2 hours ago, Kvoethe said:

I was out to dinner...missed the game...but when I see Mayfield with 27/42 and chubb with 20 carries.... yeah..we are a run first team.  

Get rid of whomever is calling this wretched selection of plays.

no nfl team in 2019 is 'run first'....and if they were they would be 2-14.  at best.

This is a passing league.  You pass to get the big lead, then maybe you can run some. Passing is just so much more efficient than running.   All these holding penalties on running plays now just makes it even worse.

We did everything fine except for score in the red zone. No turnovers, limited penalties, and won time of possession. But if you kick FG's instead of getting touchdowns, you will lose unless you have a rare defense. We most certainly don't have THAT. Ya know, I'm about sick of hearing about our defensive line. Those assholes haven't done SHIT. You know what's really funny? Myles Garrett echoed the very same sentiment that I said about him. The same message that a member here ripped me for, and that's his failure to make any meaningful plays during the game. Where are our stars? They certainly don't shine on Sunday, I know that much. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

We did everything fine except for score in the red zone. No turnovers, limited penalties, and won time of possession. But if you kick FG's instead of getting touchdowns, you will lose unless you have a rare defense. We most certainly don't have THAT. Ya know, I'm about sick of hearing about our defensive line. Those assholes haven't done SHIT. You know what's really funny? Myles Garrett echoed the very same sentiment that I said about him. The same message that a member here ripped me for, and that's his failure to make any meaningful plays during the game. Where are our stars? They certainly don't shine on Sunday, I know that much. 

yeah.....i think fg's would have won yesterdays game, but as you stated, you need an exceptional defense and god knows, we don't have one....creampuff small db's that can't tackle worth a shit....dl that in the beginning of games they look ok but as the game goes along, they wear down....i like the way this wilson kid looked yesterday, but that is not enough...we can't put consistant pressure on the qb....fucking rookie qb smacks us around again....2 turning points in the game were the mayfield qb sneak that failed as they took over and ran the ball right down the field for a td and the richardson personal foul on the qb deep in their own territory....we have tooooooo many issues still....oh well, next yr........maybe...

• Upvote 1

The Browns have given up.  The defense, especially the back field, think this game is more like two hand touch.  I've never seen so may safeties and corners pull up on a tackle only to realize the receiver did not go down but continue for another 10 to 15 yards.  Why should the care?  These guys are already looking forward to next year and hopefully free agency and get a pass to get the hell out of Cleveland.  I wish I could point the finger at something, the coach, the qb, the defense or the offensive line but this is beyond that.  There will be no more "wait till next year" or "all we need is a ...".  It's time to realize that this team is cursed and there will no next year and the Browns are destine to be a sad side note in the NFL.  Art Modell  realized that and left Cleveland and produced a Super Bowl winner a few years later in Baltimore.  Haslam needs to realize that and relocate the team to another state, a sort of a hard reset.  Let the Browns die with two parts that tell their story, one part that entertained and won here and there and were champions and the second part that they were the laughing stock of the NFL.  St Louis is looking for a NFL team for their brand new stadium.  All Haslam has to do is wait till the contract he has with the city expires around 2023, then pack the buses and moving vans and head south-west.  Let the Browns die and let all their fans off the hook so we can move on to other teams, like the Steelers or Bengles or Buffalo...or I dare say the Ravens!!

Browns will lose out the season.  Yes even they will get beat by Miami.  0-2 against the Steelers, 0-2 against the Bengles, 1-1 against the Ravens, with loses to Buffalo, Miami and Phoenix .  It's about time for the Browns to take their rightful place in the basement of the AFC North.   

A concern I have is the lack of design using Bakers mobility in our favor sans him just scrambling.  No boots, waggles,  half field reads, sprint outs with designed rubs for cheap and easy chain moving yardage.  Witnessed a few last night the Ravens used to great success.

This needs to be a run first team now, and moving into the off-season re: draft attention to the Oline and play calling.  The best teams in the NFL right now are almost all run first teams. Check the numbers - San Fran, Seattle, Minnesota, Baltimore, New England...   Running teams that attack their air game with play action and high YPA. 

Right now this team lacks identity, leadership and, in some cases - ability.

Side note: does it look like Baker has been drinking to anyone else? 

31 minutes ago, Hunter33109 said:

The Browns have given up.  The defense, especially the back field, think this game is more like two hand touch.  I've never seen so may safeties and corners pull up on a tackle only to realize the receiver did not go down but continue for another 10 to 15 yards.  Why should the care?  These guys are already looking forward to next year and hopefully free agency and get a pass to get the hell out of Cleveland.  I wish I could point the finger at something, the coach, the qb, the defense or the offensive line but this is beyond that.  There will be no more "wait till next year" or "all we need is a ...".  It's time to realize that this team is cursed and there will no next year and the Browns are destine to be a sad side note in the NFL.  Art Modell  realized that and left Cleveland and produced a Super Bowl winner a few years later in Baltimore.  Haslam needs to realize that and relocate the team to another state, a sort of a hard reset.  Let the Browns die with two parts that tell their story, one part that entertained and won here and there and were champions and the second part that they were the laughing stock of the NFL.  St Louis is looking for a NFL team for their brand new stadium.  All Haslam has to do is wait till the contract he has with the city expires around 2023, then pack the buses and moving vans and head south-west.  Let the Browns die and let all their fans off the hook so we can move on to other teams, like the Steelers or Bengles or Buffalo...or I dare say the Ravens!!

Browns will lose out the season.  Yes even they will get beat by Miami.  0-2 against the Steelers, 0-2 against the Bengles, 1-1 against the Ravens, with loses to Buffalo, Miami and Phoenix .  It's about time for the Browns to take their rightful place in the basement of the AFC North.   

I don't believe in curses but I do believe in self fulfilling prophecies and sadly I think that is where we are at. Since 1999 our failures have all been human made. Bad decisions, terrible draft pics and you could go on...but all man made problems and all of them are fixable.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Dste Ace said:

Something I read earlier:

"Miami is intentionally tanking and the Browns have won one more game than them."

We need to pull the George Costanza "opposite". Try to tank a game and we find a way to win!🙃

2 hours ago, browns52 said:

yeah.....i think fg's would have won yesterdays game, but as you stated, you need an exceptional defense and god knows, we don't have one....creampuff small db's that can't tackle worth a shit....dl that in the beginning of games they look ok but as the game goes along, they wear down....i like the way this wilson kid looked yesterday, but that is not enough...we can't put consistant pressure on the qb....fucking rookie qb smacks us around again....2 turning points in the game were the mayfield qb sneak that failed as they took over and ran the ball right down the field for a td and the richardson personal foul on the qb deep in their own territory....we have tooooooo many issues still....oh well, next yr........maybe...

I just don't understand why we can't make any big plays. SCORING plays! We heard all off season about this vaunted defensive line and they definitely don't impact the game like we hoped. I'm beyond frustrated that another season is lost and we'll once again be looking for a coach (more than likely). I would love nothing more than to get hot and keep our staff, but it doesn't look good. Something is just fundamentally WRONG with our team and it totally feels like the Hue Jackson years where we invented new ways to lose. How did we not win that game? AHHHHHH. 

😁

I am disheartened as well. Only thing l have to add here is l think Chubb was on a bit of a pitch count, possibly due to the thin air and maybe a general feeling to keep him fresh the rest of the season. Seemed he was coming out at regular intervals despite where the offense was on the field, and some of those occasions were indeed not opportune times. 

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

A concern I have is the lack of design using Bakers mobility in our favor sans him just scrambling.  No boots, waggles,  half field reads, sprint outs with designed rubs for cheap and easy chain moving yardage.  Witnessed a few last night the Ravens used to great success.

This needs to be a run first team now, and moving into the off-season re: draft attention to the Oline and play calling.  The best teams in the NFL right now are almost all run first teams. Check the numbers - San Fran, Seattle, Minnesota, Baltimore, New England...   Running teams that attack their air game with play action and high YPA. 

I agree with this.  I’ve said it as well the last couple weeks we need to pass off of our run -keep Baker to 28-33 throws a game. 

The one positive I will point we are getting back to Landry and OBJ being YAC WRs instead of sending them on go routes. Landry and OBJ did some major work yesterday with YAC.  OBJ for year has been one of the best if not best with getting creative after the short route.  It’s hard to ignore the one handers thirty yards downfield but his game is making people miss in open field and getting space early in routes   

But The other thing we need to do and URban Meyer did this well he had two or three game changers each season and he would have a handful of play designs just for this guys each game (Harvins Samuels, etc). Right not we should have 40-45 touches a game at least between (Chubb, Landry, OBJ).   Red zone is OBJ, Chubb and Landry time it’s not Harris and Callaway time.  Also if we need 3 yards on third and three put Chubb in the backfield.   I’ve complained all year about have all these shiny toys and you make Callaway a focus or Harris is a go to WR 

I really do wonder what this team would be if we just kept the ship sailing with Gregg as HC and freddie as OC. I don't think we'd be undefeated, but I'm 100% sure there'd be at least 2 more wins under the belt.

I get the regression with Baker, but I actually think he's looked better the last two games. If I were to put a % on it right now, this situation is 80% on Freddie. Yesterday he finally got that Pat Shurmer deer in the headlights look after the failed challenge (which was bullshit, but still). You saw a guy who truly realized he had no business being in charge. I could write a novel on the little things, but discipline is right at the top. Knowing OBJ and Landry were going to get nailed for the shoes is a lack of leadership to tell them not to, for example. I still believe in Dorsey big time. You can see the talent of these dudes seething to be unleashed, but the play design and coaching is just simply inept. 

Anyway fellas, I'll be off line a good bit the next few weeks and big time for next several months. I'm 6 weeks away from first time dad status and it's time to get everything ready. I'm actually glad I have a good reason not to watch this clown car for a little bit! 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

I really do wonder what this team would be if we just kept the ship sailing with Gregg as HC and freddie as OC. I don't think we'd be undefeated, but I'm 100% sure there'd be at least 2 more wins under the belt.

I get the regression with Baker, but I actually think he's looked better the last two games. If I were to put a % on it right now, this situation is 80% on Freddie. Yesterday he finally got that Pat Shurmer deer in the headlights look after the failed challenge (which was bullshit, but still). You saw a guy who truly realized he had no business being in charge. I could write a novel on the little things, but discipline is right at the top. Knowing OBJ and Landry were going to get nailed for the shoes is a lack of leadership to tell them not to, for example. I still believe in Dorsey big time. You can see the talent of these dudes seething to be unleashed, but the play design and coaching is just simply inept. 

Anyway fellas, I'll be off line a good bit the next few weeks and big time for next several months. I'm 6 weeks away from first time dad status and it's time to get everything ready. I'm actually glad I have a good reason not to watch this clown car for a little bit! 

Congrats! Wife (Giants fan) is pregnant now with our second due in Dec.  I spent yesterday at hospital watching the game between contractions.  Good luck and get sleep.

We need a Chief I think Williams played that role well.  Freddie is too nice.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

Congrats my man! Parenting is a helluva rewarding ride. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

Congratulations on the first dad status.. 

Even though the odds were they were not going to reverse the bad spot with Mayfield at the 5 yard line  I still thought Kitchens had to challenge it and hope there was a good camera angle to confirm what we knew that it was a bad spot. If they get that call and go into score it likely would have changed the whole complexion of the game.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

If they get that call and go into score it likely would have changed the whole complexion of the game.

The Browns get shafted all the time by bad calls. Freddy got tight and put the game in the refs hands by playing “4 down territory” ball while only down 5 points with plenty of time in the 4th quarter.

Go for the first/TD on 3rd down and take the 3 on 4th down.

Take the refs out of the equation.

48 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

I just don't understand why we can't make any big plays. SCORING plays! We heard all off season about this vaunted defensive line and they definitely don't impact the game like we hoped. I'm beyond frustrated that another season is lost and we'll once again be looking for a coach (more than likely). I would love nothing more than to get hot and keep our staff, but it doesn't look good. Something is just fundamentally WRONG with our team and it totally feels like the Hue Jackson years where we invented new ways to lose. How did we not win that game? AHHHHHH. 

😁

i think freddy will be around until the end of the yr and then he gets fired....i don't think we beat buffalo....christ, we will probably lose twice to the steelers...we might beat miami except now they have a qb in there that can beat us the way we are playing....probably split with cinci....definetly lose to the ravens.....not a real good future ahead of us this yr......then what, if we do fire freddy, who do we hire...and whoever we hire might want his own type of players which may not include what we have now....this is not what i expected this yr at all....i knew we were not going to the sb like some of these idiots were proclaiming but i thought somehow we'd build on last seasons second half....didn't happen...

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

CONGRATS!! My daughter (my avatar thingie) is now 24 and is at Grad school 8,000 miles away in Melbourne Australia.... enjoy every single second of it because it goes by faster than you can imagine and then a different phase begins.

You are about to feel for another human like you never thought possible, and one of the greatest unintentional side effects is that things like the Browns being losers year in and year out doesn't bother you like it used to..... priorities are instantly rearranged once you see that little face for the first time. 

Very happy for you! 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, D Bone said:

CONGRATS!! My daughter (my avatar thingie) is now 24 and is at Grad school 8,000 miles away in Melbourne Australia.... enjoy every single second of it because it goes by faster than you can imagine and then a different phase begins.

You are about to feel for another human like you never thought possible, and one of the greatest unintentional side effects is that things like the Browns being losers year in and year out doesn't bother you like it used to..... priorities are instantly rearranged once you see that little face for the first time. 

Very happy for you! 

been to melbourne a few yrs back.....ran the sydney marathon.....both places are really great......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OldBrownsFan said:

I didn't like the QB sneak call. I would have given it to Chub. Hindsight 20/20 taking the field goal was probably the best option but after settling for field goals so often I was glad to see them go for it but I would have put the ball in Chubb's hands.

The 3rd and 3 was overthought. If it was an RPO, which it apparently was, why have the weaker of the 2 RBs in the game?
They were in 4th down territory on 3rd and short. It makes little sense to me.

Who cares if our rookie kicker is FLAWLESS and that we’re losing by only 5 points, right? Freddy needs some meditation practice or something to clear his mind..

21 minutes ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

The 3rd and 3 was overthought. If it was an RPO, which it apparently was, why have the weaker of the 2 RBs in the game?

Who cares if our rookie kicker is FLAWLESS and that we’re losing by only 5 points, right? Freddy needs some meditation practice or something to clear his mind..

yep. I said "Give it to CHUBB ! UP the mid..." and my Wife pointed out that Chubb wasn't in.

dammit. I don't know.

16 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

yep. I said "Give it to CHUBB ! UP the mid..." and my Wife pointed out that Chubb wasn't in.

dammit. I don't know.

Overthinking it. Kitchens said they kept Hilliard in to keep the defense off balance.
That defeats the purpose of the Run/Pass option, which essentially serves as a play action.

Another problem is.. Hilliard isn’t Duke Johnson.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

Now you have someone to worry about for the rest of your life. Everything changes!! Enjoy the change!!👶😁

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Looks like about a case a night.

1 hour ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Chubb, OBJ, Landry in that order on the 3rd down play.

you don’t throw or give the ball to Harris Callaway or Hilliard.

this weeks fireable offense and probably number 18 on the year.