THE BROWNS BOARD

Freddie fired

7moses7

I gotta put Freddie up there with worst coaches the browns have had since 99', maybe the worst - even Hue would have been better.

We took a Gamble and lost, it could have worked, but unfortunately it didn't. What we're seeing is more severe than simple rookie growing pains, the guy is clearly years away from being ready to be a HC.

Let it ride and cut our losses at the end of the year, I'd bet a case of beer on somebody else being named head coach come January.

• Upvote 2

The 3rd and 3 and subsequent 4th and short offensive play calls are enough to drive the last nails in Freddie's coffin..... Not only did he not give the ball to his best player on either - much less BOTH plays, but the dumb mother fucker actually had his best player watching BOTH plays from the sidelines.

Completely inexcusable not handing it twice to Chubb and it's just the icing on the shit cake that has been Freddie's game day management. Good coaches either have it, or they don't.

Freddie doesn't have it......... not even a hint of it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, D Bone said:

The 3rd and 3 and subsequent 4th and short offensive play calls are enough to drive the last nails in Freddie's coffin..... Not only did he not give the ball to his best player on either - much less BOTH plays, but the dumb mother fucker actually had his best player watching BOTH plays from the sidelines.

Completely inexcusable not handing it twice to Chubb and it's just the icing on the shit cake that has been Freddie's game day management. Good coaches either have it, or they don't.

Can't argue 1 IOTA!

36 minutes ago, D Bone said:

honestly not even as a decoy ? fucking christ 

33 minutes ago, nickers said:

Can't argue 1 IOTA!

Freddy is talking about “watching tape” but he needs to start watching his own decisions. He wanted Hilliard in to run for the same reason I suspected. To catch the defense by surprise, because he’s the “3rd down back”. Apparently the 3rd and 3 run was a RPO, which makes 0 sense because you would want Chubb in to help sell the receiver open for a TD..

Before the 4th and 4.. it should’ve been shotgun aggressively sending Odell deep on 3rd and 1, when safety help over top wasn’t likely as well. 
Gotta start using OBJ like the weapon he is.. it ain’t rocket science..

Can’t fire Freddy unless the team keeps losing simply because he’s a rookie coach who is learning how not to lose on the fly. And the defense sure as hell ain’t helping.

• Thanks 1

Monken had a high powered offense in Tampa ...spraying the ball about to receivers and scoring lots of points, it is obvious he is being subdued by fat Fred ..... Monken may as well sell the beer in the stands, as he would be of more benefit ..... if they dont fire Kitchens they should at least take the play calling away from him

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, D Bone said:

D bone I agree I would have given it to chubb but let's not forget the most important 3rd and inches on last drive we gave it to chubb and he didnt pick it up so its not a guarantee he picks it up either time that time either.

On 10/27/2019 at 8:19 PM, hx214 said:

I never got how the penalties were on the coach. 

What’s a new coach going to come in and say? 

Coach -“Hey Olinemen, don’t hold the defenders! “

Olineman - “Holy Shit! We never thought of that! We’ve only played OLine since we were 6 years old and nobody told us we can’t do that!”

Coach - “Hey don’t fumble or throw INT’s!”

Team - “Man this guy is the greatest coach ever!!!”

Now, if you want to talk about play calling or clock management. I’ll listen.

Game day is a reflection of the practice week and preparation.  If you never work on fundamentals, your QB tries to throw a pass during a backward leap or runs around in the pocket with the ball out and unsecured way too frequently for comfort. See turnover volume of Baker this year vrs last year. 

Is a ball carrier supposed to hold the ball in his outside arm closest to the sideline or his inside arms closest to oncoming pursuit?  The answer to that is a basic fundamental that should be practiced in a 5 minute drill every day in practice so it's naturalized to instinct.  See the fumble on Nick Chubb's long run vrs NE.  That's a fundamental that either gets sharpened with repetition in practices or lost via lack thereof in use it or lose it.  OBJ was also holding the ball out there to be swiped at yesterday but we were lucky that did not happen. If ball security was worked on - we'd give our opponents way less opportunity.  That IS coaching like it or not. 

And not for nothing, when Freddie announced heading into the opener at "We've been preparing for TN for the last 3 weeks now"  - it looked like they didn't know anything about TN.  When you watched the game yesterday, what offense looked way better prepared in spite of a practice squad caliber QB getting his 1st NFL start?  And what defense looked far better prepared?   That IS coaching - convenient or not to your argument.  If you fail to prepare - you should prepare to fail. 

If there's a major disconnect unfolding between the schemes and the players on the field - you see things like guys not being in position to make a tackle, defend a pass, apply a leverage or contain to reward pursuit...  And when guys aren't tackling with their head up; or they arm tackle or they hit somebody too high - these are usually caused by not working on fundamentals.  You can see teams that win a lot are more fundamentally sound than teams that lose a lot.  Coaches SHOULD have a profound effect.

There's games we have guys that don't know how to line up or we'll have to call time out because we don't have 11 guys out there.  That's not a good reflection of the preparation.  Bad actions get repeated especially when there's rarely ever any accountability for them. 

Is Freddie a likeable guy that would be fun to have a few beers with?  Absolutely!  But, is just being one of the guys everybody likes gonna get the job done?  Like last year showed us, he can work well as an assistant.  But, I'm seeing a guy on the sideline more concerned with the next play he needs to hurry up wire in to the huddle than a HC knowing when he needs to throw the challenge flag or not.   He also needs to be seeing what is going wrong and coaching that up rather staying pre-occupied with being an OC concentrating exclusively on getting in the next offensive play.  I'm basically describing a more likable version of Hue Jackson with far more talent to work with.

I wish I saw evidence of reversing everything I mentioned but I have not seen it. The more this gets rinsed and repeated - the more he loses this team.  This team doesn't look or play like it believes in the leadership. Some Head Coaches we all remember like Paul Brown, Lombardi, Landry, Walsh, Gibbs, Shula, and even Parcells who not only won a couple SBs but tutored SB winning coaches like Coughlin, Belichick and Payton. And why?  They were teachers that thrived on fundamentals and made players which is referred to today as "DO YOUR JOB!"  When Belichick says this - do you ever get the impression 1 NE Patriot hasn't been made aware of what he needs to do during the week of preparation?  That's why their 8-1 while defending a Superbowl Championship during a dynasty.

Edited by Flugel

6 hours ago, darren15 said:

Monken had a high powered offense in Tampa ...spraying the ball about to receivers and scoring lots of points, it is obvious he is being subdued by fat Fred ..... Monken may as well sell the beer in the stands, as he would be of more benefit ..... if they dont fire Kitchens they should at least take the play calling away from him

Does Dorsey have the power to make Monken the play caller, if so, that decision needs to be made now.

20 minutes ago, BrownsKidd said:

Does Dorsey have the power to make Monken the play caller, if so, that decision needs to be made now.

To your point......has a HC ever in history been demoted, while being retained by his team?

I did a little looking into this, and I don't find it ever happening.  the closest was Gunther Cunningham who replaced Marty Schottenheimer as HC of the KC Chiefs.   After he was let go, he was brought back...as either ST coach, or a defensive coach....but he had been gone for a couple of years. 

And I think Dave Campo may have come back to the Cowboys....but only after having coached elsewhere for like 4 years. 

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 10:33 PM, D Bone said:

wait....are you saying a damn running back is our best player?  That's...ummm...questionable(and nothing against chubb...it's just hard to argue a running back can be the best player on any nfl team in 2019), but as someone else noted we gave to chubb the very previous series in a key third and short and came up empty....

the reality is running the ball in the nfl today is not a core strategy for any team.  As inefficient as baker has been this year relative to other nfl qbs and the second half of last year, that's still a much more efficient form of offense as a regular play than handing the ball off to chubb.

The nfl is a passing league.  It's been that way for some team, but now even non analytic types seem to get this.  Running the ball is occasionally useful in some situations(and running backs can be very important in the passing game), but the idea that any team is going to 'ground and pound' as a core offensive philosophy successfully in todays nfl is absurd

On 11/3/2019 at 11:33 PM, D Bone said:

Its almost like being in the superbowl...goal line and passing instead of using the number 1 running back...seattle cough...cough

• Upvote 1

On 11/3/2019 at 9:46 PM, bbedward said:

I gotta put Freddie up there with worst coaches the browns have had since 99', maybe the worst - even Hue would have been better.

I've seen this from different people over the past couple of weeks, and it makes sense when used as hyperbole ("holier than God!", "fatter than a tub of lard!", etc.), but I'm curious if anyone would really have rather had Hue on the sidelines today.

3 hours ago, Tacosman said:

wait....are you saying a damn running back is our best player?  That's...ummm...questionable(and nothing against chubb...it's just hard to argue a running back can be the best player on any nfl team in 2019), but as someone else noted we gave to chubb the very previous series in a key third and short and came up empty....

the reality is running the ball in the nfl today is not a core strategy for any team.  As inefficient as baker has been this year relative to other nfl qbs and the second half of last year, that's still a much more efficient form of offense as a regular play than handing the ball off to chubb.

The nfl is a passing league.  It's been that way for some team, but now even non analytic types seem to get this.  Running the ball is occasionally useful in some situations(and running backs can be very important in the passing game), but the idea that any team is going to 'ground and pound' as a core offensive philosophy successfully in todays nfl is absurd

I guess we're watching two different NFLs....... try watching a 9ers game for just one example. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Tacosman said:

Tell that to the Titans and Henry. Mahomes 400+ yards = loss...  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, hoorta said:

Tell that to the Titans and Henry. Mahomes 400+ yards = loss...  

You mean the same Henry a certain idiot pushed for on the BB?🏆🧐 The one he said runs over teams in the second half like he did again yesterday?🤣

14 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

You mean the same Henry a certain idiot pushed for on the BB?🏆🧐 The one he said runs over teams in the second half like he did again yesterday?🤣

Yes, BUT. Chubb = Henry in my estimation. 

18 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Yes, BUT. Chubb = Henry in my estimation. 

Almost-but in short yardage the bigger man by 30 lbs and the same speed can run over anyone for that 1 yd TD. And like Chubb you don't see the breakaway speed until he runs past the safeties before you realize there are afterburners there. Go to 1:25 mark.