THE BROWNS BOARD

Saw this today THE NEW MEXICO BOWL SCAM the truth even in sports can be stranger than fiction.

mjp28

Saw this today THE NEW MEXICO BOWL SCAM the truth even in sports can be stranger than fiction........oh from parts of two articles.

October 25, 2019 | 6:26pm | Updated

The New Mexico Bowl, owned by ESPN, dropped title sponsor DreamHouse Productions after just three weeks upon learning the company has no Albuquerque business license and, for all intents and purposes, does not exist, according to the Albuquerque Journal.

New Mexico-based website Enchantment Sports began investigating DreamHouse and its CEO, Eric G. Martinez, for fraud after the company was announced as the new title sponsor for the New Mexico Bowl on October 1. On Wednesday, the Albuquerque Journal revealed the business address listed on New Mexico state records matched the address Martinez listed as his own in court records. Martinez also reportedly owes $16,717 in credit card debt. Upon attempting to garnish his wages, the Journal discovered Martinez’s last paycheck came from Sony Pictures Imageworks. It was a 2016 residual check worth less than two dollars.

E

An alleged scammer duped ESPN into naming his nonexistent film production company the title sponsor for the New Mexico Bowl.

The Albuquerque Journal reported that ESPN severed ties with DreamHouse and its CEO Eric Martinez Friday, less than a month after beginning a partnership. The decision comes after reports from the Albuquerque Journal and Enchantment Sports revealed that DreamHouse wasn’t registered as an official business with the city.

A press release from ESPN states DreamHouse has a 25,000-square-foot post-production studio, which was where ESPN officials and Martinez said the sponsorship was announced. Reports say the location was mostly vacant, except for a café and a construction business.

Enchantment Sports contacted people who know Martinez and were given stories alleging he is a notorious liar and self-promoter.

“[Martinez has] gone from claiming he’s an Olympic boxer to a music manager, to the number one Latino actor in the country, to owning a magazine, to being a producer, to a director, to a filmmaker,” actor Steven Michael Quezada told Enchantment Sports.

ESPN’s agreement with DreamHouse was supposed to be for four years. Following the partnership announcement, New Mexico Bowl Director Jeff Siembieda expressed his excitement over the agreement.

“I think you know what the film industry is doing for our state,” Siembieda said. “It’s a hub for our economy, and DreamHouse is a big part of that. This partnership is right.”

How can a Bowl Committee or a network have not vetted a prospective Bowl game naming rights prospective company any better than this.  It is not a matter of "can't be too careful".  It is a matter of "how can you be any more reckless"? 

I mean, lets face it.....if you are going to have a Bowl game in your city....you should get a title name sponsor who is well known and well established in the community. 

I mean, if we in this area were to host a bowl game....it should be like "The Goodyear Rubber Bowl"   or the Firestone Tounament of Champions...or something.  

It should  be the  "Rocket Mortgage Bowl"  not the Alpha Mortgage Bowl (a sham company I had some dealings with many, many years ago)

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

How can a Bowl Committee or a network have not vetted a prospective Bowl game naming rights prospective company any better than this.  It is not a matter of "can't be too careful".  It is a matter of "how can you be any more reckless"? 

Right we're not talking about a two bit flim flam this is a nationality televised bowl game.

Good wake up for any business out there, have your policies and procedures in place and your checks and re-checks before you sign off on anything..... especially big things.

We used to do contracts that ran from the thousands to the multimillions and we scrutinized our contracts carefully and had sign-offs from the sales, production, engineering plus legal if necessary before putting ink to paper.

I used to besides sales issues peruse the specs and contract requirements before any big job went to agreements and on to production.  I did like that part of my job.