THE BROWNS BOARD

XFL

The Gipper

12 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

The HOF stadium in Canton would be a perfect sized stadium for the XFL, but I just can't see them putting a team in that market. 

Honestly, Columbus would probably get a team before Cleveland or Canton. They could play in the Columbus Crew new stadium. 

I saw in week 1 most games drew about 17,000 (+/-) like a big high school or small college stadium.

Funny but I forgot that the XFL was on this Saturday.   

5 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

I saw in week 1 most games drew about 17,000 (+/-) like a big high school or small college stadium.

Funny but I forgot that the XFL was on this Saturday.   

They have tried this a few times before to have football after the NFL season is over and it never worked out. I think they are doing better this time around and I'm hoping this new XFL league makes it. 

FORBES -   https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexreimer/2020/02/12/for-xfl-week-2-ratings-will-matter-much-more-than-impressive-week-1/#37cdfd105987

The XFL’s encouraging Week 1 ratings are not a guarantee of future success. In fact, there are already some troubling signs — despite the numbers’ shiny exterior.

As expected, the revived XFL dominated sports programming last weekend, with three of its four games outdrawing every NBA and college basketball telecast from the previous week, according to the Hollywood Reporter. The publication reports the four affairs averaged 3.12 million viewers. That is an impressive figure, considering last year’s NBA playoffs averaged 3.95 million viewers heading into the Finals. An upstart football league with underwhelming talent is on the same ratings level as the NBA postseason. It speaks to our football obsession, and the power of curiosity.

American Alliance Football, of course, also enjoyed ratings success in its first week last year. The two inaugural primetime contests on CBS averaged 2.9 million viewers, defeating the NBA’s competing offering of Rockets-Thunder.

That success did not last. The AAF folded only eight weeks into its inaugural season due to financial difficulty, when chairman Tom Dundon — who also owns the Carolina Hurricanes and invested $250 million into the startup — reportedly couldn’t land a deal with the NFL Players’ Association........ continued in the link........

Last week the DC Defenders had 17,163 fans in attendance and that is very impressive when you consider the stadium holds 20,000 fans. This week the Defenders did not disappoint. Their defense was on point once again giving Matt McGloin problems all game.

Audi Field is a soccer-specific stadium in Buzzard Point in Washington, D.C. It is the home stadium for the Major League Soccer team D.C. United as well as the DC Defenders of the XFL and seats 20,000 people.

This week at Audi Field there were 15,031 in attendance.

5 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Last week the DC Defenders had 17,163 fans in attendance and that is very impressive when you consider the stadium holds 20,000 fans. This week the Defenders did not disappoint. Their defense was on point once again giving Matt McGloin problems all game.

Audi Field is a soccer-specific stadium in Buzzard Point in Washington, D.C. It is the home stadium for the Major League Soccer team D.C. United as well as the DC Defenders of the XFL and seats 20,000 people.

This week at Audi Field there were 15,031 in attendance.

A lot of those fans must have dressed like empty seats, because the stands looked pretty barren. 

I'm glad some of those teams are playing in smaller venues. It makes the games look more interesting, than to see them playing in huge, empty NFL stadiums. 

5 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

A lot of those fans must have dressed like empty seats, because the stands looked pretty barren. 

I'm glad some of those teams are playing in smaller venues. It makes the games look more interesting, than to see them playing in huge, empty NFL stadiums. 

Yeah remember when they'd be in places like the LA Coliseum when it would look like a girls high school soccer game?   Not great for the cameras.

2 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Yeah remember when they'd be in places like the LA Coliseum when it would look like a girls high school soccer game?   Not great for the cameras.

In reality, there's probably four stadiums within an easy drive of me that could easily house a XFL team at this point... Canton's Fawcett Stadium, Massillon's Paul Brown Stadium, U of Akron's Infocision Stadium and Kent State's Dix Stadium all seat between 15,000 to 30,000. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

In reality, there's probably four stadiums within an easy drive of me that could easily house a XFL team at this point... Canton's Fawcett Stadium, Massillon's Paul Brown Stadium, U of Akron's Infocision Stadium and Kent State's Dix Stadium all seat between 15,000 to 30,000. 

And YSU with a full length indoor practice facility and many other workout rooms and other stuff which seat easily 20,000 for football.......and now very successful outdoor concerts.

If YSU put seats in the end zones they could do 30,000.

watts-night.jpg

18528442_G.jpg

Watts.JPG

13 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

Agreed, but IF Canton got a team & it was named the BULLDOGS, the stadium would be PACKED & this area would definitely support the Team. No other Pro team or major college program splitting interest. The official beer could be Thirsty Dog Brewery's "Old Leghumper"!!

Mike

I think you are making a good argument why it might have been better for the XFL to have sought out some smaller mid size cities who are starved for a professional sports team. They would be more likely to have packed stadiums and excited fans. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OldBrownsFan said:

I think you are making a good argument why it might have been better for the XFL to have sought out some smaller mid size cities who are starved for a professional sports team. They would be more likely to have packed stadiums and excited fans. 

Agree....but that is not what they want.  First off...since this league is essentially a mid to late winter league/early spring league...they wanted ones in fairly warm climes, or domes.    And they wanted bigger markets because their inner greed tells them that they can attain greater revenues from bigger markets.  Which I don't really think is necessarily the case.    I agree with you that mid sized markets who have no NFL team could perhaps do better.  But that is just my amateur point of view.   Perhaps they have so called expert  marketing/economists that had told them different.  That even a very slim percent of a large market  (ad viewers), will get you more (ad) revenue than a larger percentage of a large market.   I can only speculate on that....because I don't really know why they would disagree with you and I. 

2 hours ago, OldBrownsFan said:

That's why the Round Rock Express baseball AAA team has been such a successful business. Only pro team that close to Austin.

Do you like to hear every single play call  -or- is it just too much noise while watching the XFL game ?

And do you like mics and cameras everywhere including the halftime locker rooms ?

Amazing too  how the XFL not only has the betting lines but the announcers have the halftime line changes.  Must be 2020 alright !

6-3 start of the 4th.

Laundry Jones started 5 career NFL games & 1 playoff game.. Won all 3 games he started against the Browns..Left early in 2015 after completing 3 of 4 passes.. 

That was L.Jones first XFL win, since beating us last game of 2017..Would ya believe Jones only missed on 4 passes going 23 of 27 in 2017

On 2/16/2020 at 2:56 PM, TexasAg1969 said:

That's why the Round Rock Express baseball AAA team has been such a successful business. Only pro team that close to Austin.

A little SW Ohio aside to you Ag. That's why I was convinced after every attempt at pro anything was a massive flop in Dayton- several minor league hockey teams- that the Dayton Dragons Class A baseball team would be an epic fail.  (Cincinnati is about an hour drive to the south) Was I ever wrong. 30+ years and the Dragons are still going strong.  Several guys who made it to the majors notably Edwin Encarnation. 

However, Dayton's men's NCAA basketball team is another story. Especially since they're now ranked in the top 5. Resale tickets have reached insane heights, like NFL playoff level. I finally talked to a guy this past Saturday with Flyers season tickets and found out what they originally cost him. Um, he could ask $200 bucks for his $30 face value tickets- and get it. Prime seats a couple rows off the floor are going for $500- for a regular season college basketball game- this isn't Final Four- how's that for crazy?  LOL, some season ticket holders are getting mighty greedy. They figure they can sell off one game- and just about pay for next year's tickets.  :)   

3 hours ago, hoorta said:

A little SW Ohio aside to you Ag. That's why I was convinced after every attempt at pro anything was a massive flop in Dayton- several minor league hockey teams- that the Dayton Dragons Class A baseball team would be an epic fail.  (Cincinnati is about an hour drive to the south) Was I ever wrong. 30+ years and the Dragons are still going strong.  Several guys who made it to the majors notably Edwin Encarnation.

The RR Express started out as a AA team for Houston and I felt they had stacked the deck with AAA and Major League ready players. I'll put it this way. I went to a game and watched Roy Oswalt in his first game at Dell Diamond. Result was 15 strikeouts and the win. The following year he was starting for the Astros, had a 14-3 record with a 2.73 ERA and second in the voting for National League Rookie of the Year. I had to look up the stats because I could not remember how many strikeouts it was other than remembering it was most of the batters he faced. Not surprising he was playing for them to get Co-owner Nolan Ryan's team off to a good start in season 1.

On 2/16/2020 at 6:18 PM, gumby73 said:

Laundry Jones started 5 career NFL games & 1 playoff game.. Won all 3 games he started against the Browns..Left early in 2015 after completing 3 of 4 passes.. 

That was L.Jones first XFL win, since beating us last game of 2017..Would ya believe Jones only missed on 4 passes going 23 of 27 in 2017

And he's awful, like horrible. Maybe not as bad as Mason. 😂

On 2/16/2020 at 2:04 PM, mjp28 said:

Amazing too  how the XFL not only has the betting lines but the announcers have the halftime line changes.  Must be 2020 alright !

6-3 start of the 4th.

so far every game has hit the under in points scored

side note: Seattle game pulled 30,000 last weekend 

I am entirely shocked and in love with the way the refs operate in the XFL.  They get substantially more calls correct the first time -- and when they do get it wrong, they do the review and get it right.  There isn't anything close to the ego displayed in the NFL.

Yeah, the broadcast isn't smooth -- and i bet the guys doing the directing of the broadcast are having some fascinating days at the office because the level of audio access is unprecedented.. I bet you by week 9,10 they'll have it figured out.

XFL is faster than college ball.. not as fast as the NFL, but XFL could for their own promo/marketing actually outbid for the NFL backupQB roster spot.  Interesting also to have another object lesson that QB is the linchpin and competent D does have the advantage with bad QB play.

Anybody still watching the XFL ?     I've already drifted away didn't even turn it on this past weekend.

From SI:

......The league also suffered a ratings dip on Sunday, but it's hard to compare those numbers because Week 1 games aired on FOX (3.3 million viewers) and ESPN (2.4 million viewers) and Week 2 games aired on ABC (2.3 million viewers) and FS1 (1.3 million viewers).

Now for some perspective: Two million viewers for a sporting event featuring a brand new league isn't terrible. It's also not great. The biggest concern the XFL should have is the size of the drop from Week 1 to Week 2. Those are significant dips. Week 3 will be key. If the numbers stabilize, the XFL could be in decent shape. If the numbers drop again, don't buy stock in the league's longterm viability........

1 hour ago, ATOM said:

i watched the Seattle game for a little bit (it's spring like out here) and they drew over 22,000 down from the 29 a week earlier but still I believe respectable 

I think anything over  15-20 K for that league should be considered very good.  Just my opinion. 

Just now, The Gipper said:

I think anything over  15-20 K for that league should be considered very good.  Just my opinion. 

my son and some of his friends are headed up to Seattle for their next home game tix's are 15 bucks

On 2/16/2020 at 11:05 AM, Dutch Oven said:

Big drop in ratings this week. Bummer, I want this league to make it long enough that I decide on a favorite team. 

5 hours ago, Icecube said:

It's hard to care about a league that might last 2 years. If they made teams semi minor league NFL teams it would work. Like put one in Orlando that had Jag and TB practice squaders (not exclusively), one in Austin with Cowboys and Texans... 

I'd pay to go to the Austin team. All I have nearby is the University of Texas Longhorns. 🤮

I prefer a good HS game over them. Temple High has a great athlete who could play QB, CB or slot. I put his name up here before because he wants a schollie from OSU. Samari Howard will be a Jr. this year. 5'9' 170 with 4.33 40 speed with a 200m just 3 seconds off world record time when he was in 8th grade. Phenomenal hands not unlike OBJs.

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I'd pay to go to the Austin team. All I have nearby is the University of Texas Longhorns. 🤮

I prefer a good HS game over them. Temple High has a great athlete who could play QB, CB or slot. I put his name up here before because he wants a schollie from OSU. Samari Howard will be a Jr. this year. 5'9' 170 with 4.33 40 speed with a 200m just 3 seconds off world record time when he was in 8th grade. Phenomenal hands not unlike OBJs.

You have Trinity