THE BROWNS BOARD

XFL

The Gipper

In game 1 today, ok don't know some of the players.

But coaches Jerry Glanville and Marc Tresman some real oldies.  Marc was Kosar's QB coach at the "U".

Next Bob Stoops and Dallas.

• Like 1

Big fan of the no kick extra point and then the extra point or points option.  I’m not a fan of kicking anyway but it’s nice to integrate your skill guys more in those plays and then you can play catch-up faster.  

I think the kick off start rule has a good shot of catching on in the NFL for safety reasons. 

4 hours ago, lodilobo said:

Yep....I agree...very entertaining. How long before we have a NFL vs. XFL playoff?

100 years (but the XFL might not last 10).  The NFL is having viewership issues now the NFL is pretty much at the saturation point especially when you factor in college football.  Football every day of the week for months.   Plus their schedule is all wrong for a playoff unlike the old AFL vs NFL which had less other competition.

I was even a little surprised when the Arena League folded, I thought small market ball would work but it didn't.

The XFL 2.0 is pretty much big market with NFL teams in the area.

Vince McMahon always had some money but in the years between 2001 and now some money blossomed into "a lot of money" as in billions. He could probably afford to float the xfl along through a couple of early rough seasons. If he can get a few key investors who knows what could happen. The fact of the matter is football is king and I would personally rather follow the xfl then the other major sports. 

The AAF or whatever it was called that just folded had neither money or broadcast partners. 

4 hours ago, The Cysko Kid said:

Vince McMahon always had some money but in the years between 2001 and now some money blossomed into "a lot of money" as in billions. He could probably afford to float the xfl along through a couple of early rough seasons. If he can get a few key investors who knows what could happen. The fact of the matter is football is king and I would personally rather follow the xfl then the other major sports. 

The AAF or whatever it was called that just folded had neither money or broadcast partners. 

It DID have broadcast partners.    Like ESPN and Fox or even NBC.  It may not have had money....and apparently it didn't, which was the sole reason it folded.  I guess I don't understand how it didn't have money when those networks were paying broadcast rights fees.  

I think it is just that spring ball does NOT work.  Not the AAF, not the USFL,  not the first XFL, and likely not this.  Not in the long term.

50 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

I would never have opened this thread, I just don't care......

except I just saw this: lol

https://www.theblaze.com/news/kaepernick-wanted-20-million-to-play-in-xfl

Well, that was just silly.  He is not in the NFL because he is perceived to just not be that good. If he were a superior talent.....he would have had a job notwithstanding whatever troglodyte attitudes existed toward him. 

There was a discussion on the radio today that in the event that this XFL  expands before too long, that Cleveland.....or maybe even Canton, could get a team.  (The HOF stadium can handle 23K....enough for an XFL team).

Then they speculated on names.

If either Cleveland of Canton got a team, what would you call it? 

On 10/22/2019 at 11:57 AM, The Gipper said:

Maybe.   But the XFL did just conduct a "draft"   ...not a college draft, but one that apparently picked up street Free Agents, including the following names:

Cardale Jones

Connor Cook

Sammie Coates

Matt McGloin

Landry Jones

Orson Charles.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/xfl-draft-tracker-results-picks-list-rosters-football-league/jahz8p84e4i61hb8lajqs4a22

Landry Jones....LOL

On 2/9/2020 at 1:57 PM, mjp28 said:

In game 1 today, ok don't know some of the players.

But coaches Jerry Glanville and Marc Tresman some real oldies.  Marc was Kosar's QB coach at the "U".

Next Bob Stoops and Dallas.

freaking glanville is a clown he stopped here for a few years to coach the portland state vikings

1 hour ago, ATOM said:

freaking glanville is a clown he stopped here for a few years to coach the portland state vikings

Oh yeah, I remember him well when he was in Houston and used to make jokes about Cleveland.  Then to Atlanta and basically out of pro football.

17 hours ago, Icecube said:

I loved seeing Glanville, totally not expected. He pops up on screen, and I'm like "that looks like Glanville." Some of his Oiler teams were good. 

oh ya he did have some good teams left tickets for Elvis and drove his harley on the field but while here in P-Town he was just here to collect a check

On 2/10/2020 at 10:38 PM, The Gipper said:

There was a discussion on the radio today that in the event that this XFL  expands before too long, that Cleveland.....or maybe even Canton, could get a team.  (The HOF stadium can handle 23K....enough for an XFL team).

Then they speculated on names.

If either Cleveland of Canton got a team, what would you call it? 

If Canton got an XFL  team I would go with the Bulldogs name for the history. I would love to see it happen.

I guess we could update that name to the 21st century XFL...the Canton Mutant Ninja Bulldogs.😄

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

The HOF stadium in Canton would be a perfect sized stadium for the XFL, but I just can't see them putting a team in that market. 

Honestly, Columbus would probably get a team before Cleveland or Canton. They could play in the Columbus Crew new stadium. 

6 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

The HOF stadium in Canton would be a perfect sized stadium for the XFL, but I just can't see them putting a team in that market. 

Honestly, Columbus would probably get a team before Cleveland or Canton. They could play in the Columbus Crew new stadium. 

I agree Columbus would more  likely be the city to get an XFL team but Canton would be a sentimental favorite for me. I would love to see it happen for Canton but no doubt they would go for the larger Columbus market.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

That market is the same as this market 

7 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

I agree Columbus would more  likely be the city to get an XFL team but Canton would be a sentimental favorite for me. I would love to see it happen for Canton but no doubt they would go for the larger Columbus market.

Agreed, but IF Canton got a team & it was named the BULLDOGS, the stadium would be PACKED & this area would definitely support the Team. No other Pro team or major college program splitting interest. The official beer could be Thirsty Dog Brewery's "Old Leghumper"!!

Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1