THE BROWNS BOARD

XFL

The Gipper

14 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

There's part of me almost wishing this frustrating as hell Browns season would just wrap up... 

So no, no interest in watching the WWE doofus try to placate his ego in trying this again. 

It's like the season just abruptly ended -but- there are 4 more games still to play...... almost like preseason II.   :huh:

Feels like cold January is here already.

On 10/22/2019 at 11:45 AM, mjp28 said:

The NFL minor league and unless proped up will probably fade into obscurity with all of the others.....

i kind of lost interest in these secondary football leagues when the usfl ....the one where sipe went to jacksonville....and  it died...at least they had some nfl players that had a yr or 2 left in the gas tank......since then....eh, not interested....and if the nfl does not do something about these refs and some of the new rules,  i may lose interest....getting close for me...i know alot of folks i grew up with stopped watching...so we talk about music mostly....

14 hours ago, browns52 said:

i kind of lost interest in these secondary football leagues when the usfl ....the one where sipe went to jacksonville....and  it died...at least they had some nfl players that had a yr or 2 left in the gas tank......since then....eh, not interested....and if the nfl does not do something about these refs and some of the new rules,  i may lose interest....getting close for me...i know alot of folks i grew up with stopped watching...so we talk about music mostly....

Yes. Since then they were novelty leagues even the indoor football league folded.  The USFL looked promising but.....

http://www.espn.com/30for30/film/_/page/small-potatoes-who-killed-the-usfl

About Small Potatoes: Who Killed The USFL?

nfl_30_30_usfl_134.jpg

Film Summary

In 1983 the upstart United States Football League (USFL) had the audacity to challenge the almighty NFL. The new league did the unthinkable by playing in the spring and plucked three straight Heisman Trophy winners away from the NFL. The 12-team USFL played before crowds that averaged 25,000 and started off with respectable TV ratings.

But with success came expansion and new owners, including a certain high profile and impatient real estate baron whose vision was at odds with the league's founders. Soon, the USFL was reduced to waging a desperate anti-trust lawsuit against the NFL, which yielded an ironic verdict that effectively forced the league out of business. Now, almost a quarter of a century later, Academy Award-nominated and Peabody Award-winning director Mike Tollin, himself once a chronicler of the league, will showcase the remarkable influence of those three years on football history and attempt to answer the question, "Who Killed the USFL?"

• 1 month later...

The XFL kicks off pretty soon, so do you think that it has a chance?

The XFL 2020 schedule, a 79-day sprint from kickoff to the championship game, starts on Saturday, Feb. 8 when the DC Defenders host the Seattle Dragons at 2 p.m. ET (ABC). The debut is followed by the Los Angeles Wildcats at the Houston Roughnecks at 5 p.m. ET (FOX).

The opening weekend of the 10-week regular season continues on Sunday, Feb. 9, when the New York Guardians host the Tampa Bay Vipers at 2 p.m. ET (FOX) and concludes later that day when the St. Louis BattleHawks travel to face the Dallas Renegades at 5 p.m. ET (ESPN).

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

The XFL kicks off pretty soon, so do you think that it has a chance?

The XFL 2020 schedule, a 79-day sprint from kickoff to the championship game, starts on Saturday, Feb. 8 when the DC Defenders host the Seattle Dragons at 2 p.m. ET (ABC). The debut is followed by the Los Angeles Wildcats at the Houston Roughnecks at 5 p.m. ET (FOX).

The opening weekend of the 10-week regular season continues on Sunday, Feb. 9, when the New York Guardians host the Tampa Bay Vipers at 2 p.m. ET (FOX) and concludes later that day when the St. Louis BattleHawks travel to face the Dallas Renegades at 5 p.m. ET (ESPN).

I thought you had no interest?    That you would rather watch women's volleyball and X game skiing.

On 10/23/2019 at 11:45 AM, mjp28 said:

No.  I'm busy enough with the "real" football, baseball and March madness stuff and the like. I don't need "fake" sports.  :lol:

GO BUCKEYES, BROWNS, TRIBE, CAVS, YSU, NAVY and yes, I like ND!

I probably will watch the initial games but unless they are really good I'll go with the other sports entertainment out there.

On 10/23/2019 at 2:17 PM, nickers said:

The only thing exciting about the XFL is the sexy cheerleaders..

Yeah but this time of year all the hotties in Western FL are laying in the sand on the shore of the Gulf of Mexico listening to some blow hard name Flugel tell them YO QUIERO!!!!  

Watch Ghoolie show up in a thong and scare them away just to bust my balls!

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Yeah but this time of year all the hotties in Western FL are laying in the sand on the shore of the Gulf of Mexico listening to some blow hard name Flugel tell them YO QUIERO!!!!  

Watch Ghoolie show up in a thong and scare them away just to bust my balls!

If you offer those girls tacos  things would go better for you.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/22/2019 at 11:57 AM, The Gipper said:

Maybe.   But the XFL did just conduct a "draft"   ...not a college draft, but one that apparently picked up street Free Agents, including the following names:

Cardale Jones

Connor Cook

Sammie Coates

Matt McGloin

Landry Jones

Orson Charles.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/xfl-draft-tracker-results-picks-list-rosters-football-league/jahz8p84e4i61hb8lajqs4a22

Sammie Coates? How many years has he been out of football? He had 6 rec in da Land in 2017. Landry Jones? LOL

On 10/23/2019 at 12:02 PM, mjp28 said:

I'd rather just watch the BUCKEYES than a bunch of stiffs that couldn't even make an NFL taxi squad......hey maybe some were really driving taxis!   :lol:

....or Uber guys.

I'd be willing to bet an XFL squad could give the Buckeyes a serious battle, if not win outright. That Cardale Jones feller- remember him from his time in Columbus?   As was posited earlier in the thread- a lot of the XFL players have probably used up their practice squad eligibility- Cardale certainly has.  Regarding XFL vs. top NCAA teams- take off your Buckeye homer glasses. In a given year how many Bucs get drafted- 5 maybe? First round one? The rest go on to be NFL nobodies in general. 90%+ of FCS players go on to be accountants, sports announcers (Herbstreit), or wind up pumping gas- just like those XFL guys you're not impressed with.  

Sometimes those not ready for the NFL guys just need a chance to shine on a lower level- like our own Garrett Gilbert.  :)  And IIRC Kevin Mack and Frank Minnifield  came out of the USFL.  

On 12/2/2019 at 2:02 PM, mjp28 said:

Starts February 8, 2020 anybody even remotely interested in this ?  :huh:

Yeah, I'm going to tune in for a look. :)  FWIW, checking prices- if I lived in an XFL city, I'd consider going to a game at $20.  OTOH, Flyer Basketball Mania has taken over in Dayton now that they're ranked in the NCAA top 10. Glad I caught a game in person before the price on resale tickets went insane. We're talking NFL playoff level prices ($500) to get prime seating for a regular season Saturday afternoon game. Some folks are asking $100 bucks for nosebleeds. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/4/2020 at 4:30 PM, hoorta said:

I'd be willing to bet an XFL squad could give the Buckeyes a serious battle, if not win outright. That Cardale Jones feller- remember him from his time in Columbus?   As was posited earlier in the thread- a lot of the XFL players have probably used up their practice squad eligibility- Cardale certainly has.  Regarding XFL vs. top NCAA teams- take off your Buckeye homer glasses. In a given year how many Bucs get drafted- 5 maybe? First round one? The rest go on to be NFL nobodies in general. 90%+ of FCS players go on to be accountants, sports announcers (Herbstreit), or wind up pumping gas- just like those XFL guys you're not impressed with.  

Sometimes those not ready for the NFL guys just need a chance to shine on a lower level- like our own Garrett Gilbert.  :)  And IIRC Kevin Mack and Frank Minnifield  came out of the USFL.  

Yeah, I'm going to tune in for a look. :)  FWIW, checking prices- if I lived in an XFL city, I'd consider going to a game at $20.  OTOH, Flyer Basketball Mania has taken over in Dayton now that they're ranked in the NCAA top 10. Glad I caught a game in person before the price on resale tickets went insane. We're talking NFL playoff level prices ($500) to get prime seating for a regular season Saturday afternoon game. Some folks are asking $100 bucks for nosebleeds. 

Mack was an Offensive Rookie of the Year here. He was 235-240 lb guy coming out of Clemson with 4.5 speed at the time. Like Jim Kelly, he didn't go to the USFL first because he wasn't good enough for the NFL.  He went because it appeared to be his better option (at least temporarily). 

We also added ILB Mike Johnson who earned Pro Bowl honors for us on some of our playoff teams.

$100 for nosebleeds?   I blee dat.  FWIW, 1 guy paid $5K for a Superbowl seat he fell asleep in during the 1st quarter of the game. 

This is a totally different XFL than it was many years ago. Yes, Vince McMahn is still the money behind it, but they actually have some creative ideas to help keep the games interesting. 

Gone are the WWE style games. It's going to be more traditional in that sense. However, there are differences. I will tune in for at least a couple of games because i like some of the tweaks they are making and I think they will make it into the NFL. 

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/xfl-rules-differences-vs-nfl-overtime-kickoffs-explained/1if7a6vb6kb271966993zxdynx

No more extra points.

1 point: Run a play from the 2-yard line

2 points: Run a play from the 5-yard line

3 points: Run a play from the 10-yard line

kick-off is different

Both teams line up on the receiving teams, 30 yard line. No one can move until the player receiving the ball catches it or it is on the ground for 3 seconds. Then, it's game on. This encourages kick off returns but decreases the velocity

overtime

Overtime shall consist of 5 “Rounds”, staged in alternating single-play possessions as is customary in NHL shootouts or MLS penalty kicks. A “Round” will consist of one offensive play per team. Each possession starts at the opponent’s 5-yard line and the offensive team has one play to score. The team with more points after 5 rounds is the winner.

Referees

Referees are all mic'd and there is a "sky judge" who can buzz down to overrule calls

Double forward pass: "If a team completes a forward pass behind the line of scrimmage, that team may throw a second forward pass, as long as the ball has at no time crossed the line of scrimmage. ... Once the ball has passed the line of scrimmage, no forward passes are permitted." This is something that's not allowed in the NFL or college football, so it could lead to some interesting play designs. But overall, it's a fairly minor rule that we'd only expect to see a few times throughout the season.

Much faster play clock: The XFL has a 25-second play clock compared to the NFL's 40-second play clock. A difference of 15 seconds may not sound like a lot, but this change will definitely be felt on the field. Expect a much faster pace of play as teams must hurry up their play calling. Something to note, however, is the NFL clock starts once the play is ended and the XFL's clock starts once the ball is spotted for play.

Comeback period: During the 2-minute warning (the final two minutes of the second and fourth quarter), there are a few tweaks to allow teams more time to come back, hence "comeback period." From the XFL, "On plays that end in the field of play, the game clock will be stopped until the ball has been spotted and 5 seconds have run off of the play clock." This makes it so a team cannot run the clock out until there is only one minute remaining (assuming the opposing team has no timeouts). In the NFL, a team can run the clock out when there are two minutes remaining.

Running game clock: "Outside the last 2 minutes of each half, the game clock will run after incompletions and out of bounds plays." This will take some getting used to for football fans, but the objective is to just make games go as quickly as possible.

Teams have two timeouts per half instead of three: Another pace of play change, less timeouts equals faster games.

Players need just one foot in bounds instead of two: Yet another pace of play rule, makes it easier to determine catches, leading to faster reviews.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Bigalow80 said:

This is a totally different XFL than it was many years ago. Yes, Vince McMahn is still the money behind it, but they actually have some creative ideas to help keep the games interesting. 

Gone are the WWE style games. It's going to be more traditional in that sense. However, there are differences. I will tune in for at least a couple of games because i like some of the tweaks they are making and I think they will make it into the NFL. 

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/xfl-rules-differences-vs-nfl-overtime-kickoffs-explained/1if7a6vb6kb271966993zxdynx

Just IMHO maybe they might have gone too far in some areas to be "different"   -but- I will give it a try.

19 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Yeah the overtime rules seem insipid 

Yes that's wired plus the new main objective..... " This will take some getting used to for football fans, but the objective is to just make games go as quickly as possible.

Geared toward the younger fans.

33 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Yes that's wired plus the new main objective..... " This will take some getting used to for football fans, but the objective is to just make games go as quickly as possible.

Geared toward the younger fans.

You know not younger. stupid. Geared toward the stupid fans. Ones with ADD or something

XFL FOOTBALL - WEEK 1.  Yes the XFL season has kicked off and yes there are lines and betting, naturally.   https://www.vegasinsider.com/nfl/story.cfm/story/2002100

The 2020 XFL season kicks off this weekend, offering plenty of betting opportunities for football fans.  I'm so excited for the first week of action and I'll be providing my "Best Bets" throughout the regular season and playoffs for VegasInsider.com.

Odds to Win 2020 XFL Championship

per Las Vegas Westgate SuperBook

Dallas Renegades 5/2
New York Guardians 5/1
Houston Roughnecks 5/1
Tampa Bay Vipers 5/1
D.C. Defenders 6/1
Los Angeles Wildcats 8/1
St. Louis Battlehawks 10/1
Seattle Dragons 16/1

The three favorites to take home the first ever XFL championship will be the Dallas Renegades at 5/2 odds (Bet $100 to win $250), while a trio of teams are right behind them at 5/1 odds. The long shots on the board are St. Louis and Seattle at 10/1 and 16/1 respectively. 

XFL Week 1 Best Bets

Games for Saturday Feb. 8

Seattle at DC (ABC, 2:00 p.m. ET)

In the first bet that I like in Week 1, we are gonna look at the Seattle Dragons at the DC Defenders. Now in this game the line opened up at DC -6.5 and the line moved rather quickly to -7.5. DC off the key number of under a touch down always a red flag to me as we see around 50/50 as far as bets go in this one.......... CONTINUED IN THE LINK..........

Just FYI to get you through February 2020.

Week 1

MATCHUP DATE

Defenders 31, Dragons 19

Saturday, Feb. 8

Roughnecks 37, Wildcats 17

Saturday, Feb. 8

Vipers at Guardians 

Sunday, Feb. 9 (2 p.m. ET) on Fox (stream on fuboTV)

BattleHawks at Renegades

Sunday, Feb. 9 (5 p.m. ET) on ESPN

Week 2 

MATCHUP DATE

Guardians at Defenders

Saturday, Feb. 15 (2 p.m. ET)

Vipers at Dragons

Saturday, Feb. 15 (5 p.m. ET)

Renegades at Wildcats

Sunday, Feb. 16 (3 p.m. ET)

BattleHawks at Roughnecks

Sunday, Feb. 16 (6 p.m. ET)

Week 3

MATCHUP DATE

Roughnecks at Vipers

Saturday, Feb. 22 (2 p.m. ET)

Renegades at Dragons

Saturday, Feb. 22 (5 p.m. ET)

Guardians at BattleHawks

Sunday, Feb. 23 (3 p.m. ET)

Defenders at Wildcats

Sunday, Feb. 23 (6 p.m. ET)

Week 4

MATCHUP DATE

Wildcats at Guardians

Saturday, Feb. 29 (2 p.m. ET)

Dragons at BattleHawks

Saturday, Feb. 29 (5 p.m. ET)

Roughnecks at Renegades

Sunday, March 1 (4 p.m. ET)

Defenders at Vipers

Sunday, March 1 (7 p.m. ET)

I was looking over the information and there are 8 teams with 8 head coaches many with NFL experience along with GM and staff, hmmmmm.

The regular season wraps up April 12 and the Championship Game is Sunday April 26.

The teams:

xfl-team-logos-082119-ftr_k8qxioeteql718tyaxwzlrn68.png

Is the country ready for XFL version 2.0?

On Thursday, WWE founder and chairman Vince McMahon announced some vague details about the planned 2020 relaunch of his failed pro football league, which shuttered in 2001 after just one season.

This time around, the XFL won't have any racy cheerleaders, won't hire players with DUIs or police records, might skip halftime entirely and will require all players to stand during the national anthem.

"There are not going to be any politics involved with this thing," McMahon said during a press call with reporters. "We're not going to have any social issues involved. People want to be entertained. … It's the entertainment value that sometimes is lost.".  :o

What to look for, we'll see if the XFL is interesting or not by the key players:

UARTERBACKSQUARTERBACKS

1- CARDALE JONES- DC DEFENDERS– Pound for pound, the most talented Quarterback in the league. Pep Hamilton wants to throw the ball down the field a lot. Expect a lot of big plays.  Cardale’s underrated mobility will be a plus. Handcuffing Cardale with Tyree Jackson could be a season-saving strategy.

2-JOSH JOHNSON- LOS ANGELES WILDCATS
– Provided that Johnson wins this battle with Luis Perez in training camp. The veteran Johnson is in an ideal spot to excel in Norm Chow’s offense. LA has one of the best trios of receivers in the entire league. Josh Johnson brings added fantasy value as a runner. 

3-LANDRY JONES- DALLAS RENEGADES
– No argument whatsoever if Landry is ranked #1 in this group. He is back with Bob Stoops, playing in Hal Mumme’s Air Raid offense, and has a loaded receiving corps. The only knock here is Landry’s lack of mobility to produce yards on the ground. It’s why I have him ranked third.

4-MATT MCGLOIN- NEW YORK GUARDIANS
– New York figures to be a very balanced offensive attack and McGloin is a quality veteran at the controls of Kevin Gilbride’s offense. The northeast weather can play a factor in the early weeks of the league but there’s no denying the deep group of receivers that McGloin has to throw to. More on that later.

5-PHILLIP WALKER/CONNOR COOK- HOUSTON ROUGHNECKS
– The person who wins this job in training camp is set up to succeed. June Jones pass-happy Run & Shoot is tailor-made for fantasy football. Walker provides added value as a very good runner.

6-JORDAN TA’AMU/TAYLOR HEINICKE- ST. LOUIS BATTLEHAWKS
– The St. Louis starter at QB is going to be one of the league’s best sleepers. Both Ta’amu and Heinicke are mobile quarterbacks. Jordan Ta’amu might be more physically gifted but Taylor has the experience edge. Playing indoors at home on a fast track in February, March, and April is a plus for whoever takes the reigns at Quarter

7-BRANDON SILVERS/BJ DANIELS- SEATTLE DRAGONS
– In Mike Riley’s offense. We could see a combination of these two playing on a weekly basis. A similar strategy that Riley used with the Commanders in 2019. The XFL’s conversion attempt rules and the double forward pass almost guarantees that Daniels will have a weekly role whether he wins the starting job or not.

8-AARON MURRAY- TAMPA BAY VIPERS
– Someone has to be ranked 8th in an 8 team league. Murray may exceed expectations under Marc Trestman’s offense. If Murray is the starter come opening day. He could be a consistent Alex Smith game manager type. A low ceiling type player but with a decent floor.  The old wait for a Quarterback fantasy strategy may land you Murray later on in your draft.

On 2/7/2020 at 1:54 PM, Bigalow80 said:

No more extra points.

1 point: Run a play from the 2-yard line

2 points: Run a play from the 5-yard line

3 points: Run a play from the 10-yard line

kick-off is different

Both teams line up on the receiving teams, 30 yard line. No one can move until the player receiving the ball catches it or it is on the ground for 3 seconds. Then, it's game on. This encourages kick off returns but decreases the velocity

overtime

Overtime shall consist of 5 “Rounds”, staged in alternating single-play possessions as is customary in NHL shootouts or MLS penalty kicks. A “Round” will consist of one offensive play per team. Each possession starts at the opponent’s 5-yard line and the offensive team has one play to score. The team with more points after 5 rounds is the winner.

Referees

Referees are all mic'd and there is a "sky judge" who can buzz down to overrule calls

Double forward pass: "If a team completes a forward pass behind the line of scrimmage, that team may throw a second forward pass, as long as the ball has at no time crossed the line of scrimmage. ... Once the ball has passed the line of scrimmage, no forward passes are permitted." This is something that's not allowed in the NFL or college football, so it could lead to some interesting play designs. But overall, it's a fairly minor rule that we'd only expect to see a few times throughout the season.

Much faster play clock: The XFL has a 25-second play clock compared to the NFL's 40-second play clock. A difference of 15 seconds may not sound like a lot, but this change will definitely be felt on the field. Expect a much faster pace of play as teams must hurry up their play calling. Something to note, however, is the NFL clock starts once the play is ended and the XFL's clock starts once the ball is spotted for play.

Comeback periodDuring the 2-minute warning (the final two minutes of the second and fourth quarter), there are a few tweaks to allow teams more time to come back, hence "comeback period." From the XFL, "On plays that end in the field of play, the game clock will be stopped until the ball has been spotted and 5 seconds have run off of the play clock." This makes it so a team cannot run the clock out until there is only one minute remaining (assuming the opposing team has no timeouts). In the NFL, a team can run the clock out when there are two minutes remaining.

Running game clock: "Outside the last 2 minutes of each half, the game clock will run after incompletions and out of bounds plays." This will take some getting used to for football fans, but the objective is to just make games go as quickly as possible.

Teams have two timeouts per half instead of three: Another pace of play change, less timeouts equals faster games.

Players need just one foot in bounds instead of two: Yet another pace of play rule, makes it easier to determine catches, leading to faster reviews.

I had NO interest in the XFL, but some of the "tweaks" you stated they utilize are interesting. I bolded & enlarged those that interest me.Thanks Big!

Mike

So far, the football play itself is average. However, I really like some of the new rules. The extra official for spotting the ball, the 25 second play clock with a running clock are nice. Not sure the NFL would go down that far, but if they reduced it to 30 seconds, that would make a huge difference. I also like how all the players have a receiver in their helmets so they can hear the play from the sideline. I don't know why the NFL doesn't do this? It makes too much sense and definitely speeds up the game. Obviously, the sky judge is also a winner. Finally, the way kick-offs are done is a big win for me. It makes the play way more interesting. Not sure how they get around the "on-side" kick situation but I wouldn't mind seeing a 4th and 15 from your own 35, like in the pro bowl.

The other huge win is the "9th team". I didn't mention this in my previous post, but essentially it is another 40 man roster that is a practice squad for ALL teams to utilize. For example, these 40 players will practice on a daily basis working on the fundamentals, generic plays, etc. However, if team X loses a LT for the season, that team then has the option of bringing a player from the 9th team onto their roster. That player is then replaced on the 9th team from someone off the streets. Essentially, it is a rolling practice squad for teams to use and can continue to develop players. Zero chance the NFL would ever do such a brilliant move purely for financials, but this is a great move for the XFL. It may not pay off now, but if the league survives a few years, I think it is going to pay dividends.

I'm in-different on the extra points. It's fine but a little too gimmicky. 

Overall, I think the XFL has a chance to survive provided the money is there to keep it afloat.